Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, of course, conservative people are pure cancer. But also stay away from disgusting liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The problem with Austin is that it’s full of Californians

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can you do it more than once? If anyone knows any internet busy work that isn't training robots for judgement day I'll loving do it idgaf
I typically get a few a week, but the money you get is usually in the 10-20 cent range and it's only good for the google play store.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I once got an ebook off the back of saying "yes" when it asked me once a day if I'd been to Wegmans within the past week. Like, if you want to give me stuff for that, fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Survey Junkie can make you like 10-15 us dollars per hour in steam bucks or Amazon bucks or so on

And while it’s tedious it’s also mindless and they tend to not care what the actual response you give is, so you can just be like Coke? Hate that. Pepsi? Never heard of it. Boeing? -1/5. Airbus? 2/8. I prefer hot pockets to other microwave dinners? Slightly disagree! How likely am I to join the United States Marine Corps Reserve? Moderately unlikely. gently caress you Brand! etc etc and kill some time while listening to music or watching another screen or whatever nonsense.

Not the most productive line of work but if you’re sitting around anyway, not the worst choice

Hell yeah gonna get some new games on steam. I'll vote pepsi if I have to idc

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I once got an ebook off the back of saying "yes" when it asked me once a day if I'd been to Wegmans within the past week. Like, if you want to give me stuff for that, fine.
My balance, built solely of money received from survey responses, is now up to about $35 (and this is after portions of the balance expired after a period of time). It's great for renting movies from YouTube on a whim or finally paying off apps when I've had it up to here with its ads, that kind of thing. I originally joined to earn the money to buy a game app, which is still kind of a weird concept to my :corsair: brain (I'm getting better).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In political writing, I'm so sick and tired of hearing about a group "weighing" a decision or option. I don't know whether it's because ChatGPT horseshit has infected journalism (it probably has) or it's laziness, but can you all come up with a fresher metaphor than that? It reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8v2V2XojA

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wish login screens would have a legend telling you what the password requirements are so I could remember which combination of bullshit I included when I signed up. It's information that a nefarious actor could acquire in 30 seconds anyhow, so why not make life a little easier for users and just include it upfront?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe LinkedIn was once a genuinely good resource for finding a job (probably not). Now it's a soul-sucking experience where, as someone looking futilely for a job in tech can enjoy people in NJ with Indian names sending you scammy PMs and offers for poo poo like Collabera.

Capitalist efficiency at work!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Current peeve (though certainly recurring) is someone giving you unsolicited advice on something they've never done.
Bonus level if the advice they're giving you is from a cursory google search on the subject.
I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU'RE TELLING ME :bang:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Like boomers giving advice on the property market that hasn’t been relevant in decades.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The only advice you need is “buy low and sell high”

You’re welcome

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

Like boomers giving advice on the property market that hasn’t been relevant in decades.

so many people telling us "Don't put in your first offer above the asking price!!!" :negative:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Recurring computer peeve is the "shut down" command not doing what it's supposed to.

Especially when the computer has updates. The options are "Update and shut down" and "Update and restart." Except they both do the same drat thing. If I tell it to update and shut down, it restarts anyway! Why bother giving me two options if only one actually happens?

If I tell my computer to shut down, when next I see it, I expect it to be off, yet that rarely happens! Stupid computer, who's the primate in this relationship? You do what I tell you to do! :argh:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Bargearse posted:

I had a chat with my landlady a while back about buying places since I intend to move in not too long.
All of her suggestions basically amounted to 'make like 2x as much money as you are now, to buy something new.' or 'You should prioritize getting a place [over there] since they'll increase a lot more in value as that area gets built out.'.
If I did that, I'd only afford like, a studio place, or a tiny 1 bedroom place. The stuff I can buy new is like half the size of what I currently rent.

She's not old enough to be a boomer, but living in a 7 figure+ home puts you in a very different demographic than me, lady.
Prices have increased something insane since you last bought a place. A tiny apartment costs as much as your previous row-house.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

And even if you can somehow afford anything, you're immediately outbid by someone with cash who goes way above the asking price! I know like one person my age who owns a house because their parents helped them and even then they got really lucky because they were the first bidders and the owner just wanted to get stuff over with as soon as possible so they could leave the country.

so yeah mom, "just buy a house so you can stop wasting money on rent" isn't really doable, lmao :shepface:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Coworker: "Hi, is now a good time to talk about X?"

Me: "Sure"

Coworker: (disappears forever)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sounds like a win/win

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bargearse posted:

Or job hunting. "Just show up in person. Shows you're a go-getter!".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Ask to speak to the manager. Ask if they've seen the application you submitted earlier that day.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

A firm handshake, direct eye contact, and a strong work ethic will get you the job 99% of the time. Today’s generation will tell you that’s bullshit but they don’t own poo poo and complain about their lack of upward mobility in the job force so what do they know?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

And they complain about student loans when everyone knows a Master's degree only costs you like 50 bucks.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

oldpainless posted:

A firm handshake, direct eye contact, and a strong work ethic will get you the job 99% of the time. Today’s generation will tell you that’s bullshit but they don’t own poo poo and complain about their lack of upward mobility in the job force so what do they know?

ok let’s run it into the ground, more like oldjobless lol

My mother said this to me almost word for word when I was job hunting earlier this year. Now my partner and I are earning nearly twice as much as my parents ever did and were still only just barely able to afford a house.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Silver Falcon posted:

Recurring computer peeve is the "shut down" command not doing what it's supposed to.

Especially when the computer has updates. The options are "Update and shut down" and "Update and restart." Except they both do the same drat thing. If I tell it to update and shut down, it restarts anyway! Why bother giving me two options if only one actually happens?

If I tell my computer to shut down, when next I see it, I expect it to be off, yet that rarely happens! Stupid computer, who's the primate in this relationship? You do what I tell you to do! :argh:

I live in an area where lightning storms can come out of nowhere and I just realized that I could really get screwed since I wouldn't be able to close my poo poo in a timely manner with an update. Seems an oversight oh well

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I went out for lunch with my parents and their friends yesterday, and witnessed a real-life boomer conversation about how "no one wants to works anymore." This was after one of them said she wasn't going to tip because she was charged for extra guacamole, and the rest nodded in agreement. It was surreal.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I live in an area where lightning storms can come out of nowhere and I just realized that I could really get screwed since I wouldn't be able to close my poo poo in a timely manner with an update. Seems an oversight oh well
Win10 lets you shut down without updating if you need to.

Also hibernate exists, which is like sleep but with the power off.

On desktop: Power & sleep > additional power settings > choose what the power buttons do > change settings that are currently unavailable > check the Hibernate option > save changes

stringless has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Aug 16, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

so many people telling us "Don't put in your first offer above the asking price!!!" :negative:

Lmao even my gf was like "offer them $50k under"

*property goes pending 72 hours later for $175k over*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We’ve been using instacart more and more this past month or two and getting the same lady while ordering the same things. Dough, ensure, baby diapers, wipes, onions, cat litter, just a variety of things that can be kinda embarrassing and gross even though they shouldn’t be really, people need that poo poo, and is heavy to carry up the stairs

And it keeps being the same specific lady, who has a New York russian accent and just tonight abandoned all pretension and spoke russian when I answered the door and called me by name and clearly knew poo poo going on in our lives

I don’t know if I’m peeved by her for breaking the pretense or myself for being shocked and terrified bc we’re clearly on good terms and she was nice and she also recognizes my kids if I answer the door holding one and is super excited to see them and just one hundred percent nice and gets hella tipped when it’s her

But like jesus we moved from New York and I’m expecting the drawl and good lord lady are you from the mob and gonna shoot us?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I went out for lunch with my parents and their friends yesterday, and witnessed a real-life boomer conversation about how "no one wants to works anymore." This was after one of them said she wasn't going to tip because she was charged for extra guacamole, and the rest nodded in agreement. It was surreal.

There’s a frustrating part of this that isn’t unrealistic. Tipping is here and it’s important bc it helps people live with lovely paychecks. If they paid people more they wouldn’t need to tip ect yada yada

But there is something deeply frustrating about getting up charged up the rear end by everything and tipping and none of that extra nonsense goes to the workers. I am, or was idk, a door dash driver and right now the tips are so loving awful it’s not even worth doing.

I’ll get offers to take orders 12 miles away for 7 dollars. That’s with door dash’s base pay…It’s disgusting. And I want to fault the stingy rear end people but I’ve ordered door dash before and a 10 dollar meal at McDonald’s becomes like 17 before a tip.

That’s my peeve too I guess. It sucked bc I made a little bit of money with door dash and I was able to pay off bills and stuff. Not any more!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Abolish tipping and any hidden service fees bullshit and just bake in the actual prices into the menu. But the problem is that almost every restaurant that tries to do this fails and has to bring back tipping.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When people get mad at or worse, remove street art

Like if it’s a southern cross or some poo poo sure, but like what we got around here, it’s like, cool tags, lots of Black Lives Matter and trans rights are human rights, an old style fat pikachu, a Bob Marley, a shockingly photorealistic depiction of some beignets and a coffee

I don’t understand how some of my neighbours are bothered. This stuff rocks! If you don’t like it move to a creepy suburb with identical mcmansions

CelticPredator posted:

There’s a frustrating part of this that isn’t unrealistic. Tipping is here and it’s important bc it helps people live with lovely paychecks. If they paid people more they wouldn’t need to tip ect yada yada

But there is something deeply frustrating about getting up charged up the rear end by everything and tipping and none of that extra nonsense goes to the workers. I am, or was idk, a door dash driver and right now the tips are so loving awful it’s not even worth doing.

I’ll get offers to take orders 12 miles away for 7 dollars. That’s with door dash’s base pay…It’s disgusting. And I want to fault the stingy rear end people but I’ve ordered door dash before and a 10 dollar meal at McDonald’s becomes like 17 before a tip.

That’s my peeve too I guess. It sucked bc I made a little bit of money with door dash and I was able to pay off bills and stuff. Not any more!

Yeah gig economy is hell now. Or more hell rather. We do instacart occasionally and it’s mainly just a way to not have babies or cats for a couple hours and just chat and listen to podcasts. The five bucks or whatever is crap, probably not enough to cover loving wear on the car

Now in NYC during covid

We’d just drive and park in bougie parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn and easily score 100+ dollar tips for maybe 20 minutes of work and 50 cents of gas off rich computer janitors who were ordering for a family of five

All for the low low price of risking catching a novel virus but I got that from a different job anyway

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Aug 17, 2023

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When people get mad at or worse, remove street art

Like if it’s a southern cross or some poo poo sure, but like what we got around here, it’s like, cool tags, lots of Black Lives Matter and trans rights are human rights, an old style fat pikachu, a Bob Marley, a shockingly photorealistic depiction of some beignets and a coffee

I don’t understand how some of my neighbours are bothered. This stuff rocks! If you don’t like it move to a creepy suburb with identical mcmansions

People get really weird about graffiti as this imagined gateway to serious crime. It does feel generational though, like how olds think tattoos are horrifying but nobody my age bats an eye at them.

Now I’m remembering when the city of Detroit commissioned Shepard Fairey to do some street art and he was like “while I’m there I’m going to do some non-commissioned art where I feel like it” and the city was like “please don’t do that Shepard Fairey” and tried to arrest him when he inevitable did.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

CelticPredator posted:

One thing I feel kind of assy about is how much harder tipping has become post-pandemic. I rarely carry cash, lots of places won't even accept it, so unless the card readers are set up with tipping options, the moment often passes. There might be coin jars, but the chances of me having that on me are low.

The same is true for home delivery - I'll give a tip if I have cash, but that is increasingly rare. Some apps/services, like Dominos, have a tip option but it only becomes available upon delivery and I usually forget its there once the transaction is done.

It's not a big a deal here as in the US, but I still believe in tipping.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's some electrical boxes at an intersection near me that get pasted up with posters of Susan B. Anthony, George Floyd, Frederick Douglass, figures along those lines. It's fascinating how short a time it takes before someone defaces them.

There was a pretty decent Fred Rogers poster that someone dug the eyes out of.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

There's some electrical boxes at an intersection near me that get pasted up with posters of Susan B. Anthony, George Floyd, Frederick Douglass, figures along those lines. It's fascinating how short a time it takes before someone defaces them.

There was a pretty decent Fred Rogers poster that someone dug the eyes out of.

Ok I get why the usual suspects would be angry about those top people but who the gently caress is angry about Fred Rogers

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
it really annoys me when people say or list on menus "with au jus." "au jus" means "with juice!" stop it! this is the close cousin of "ATM machine," the brother of "PIN number," "SSN number," and "VIN number."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There used to be someone who would tag random poo poo with "IMPEACH LOVES YOU" and I always wondered about that. (They may still be around, I moved to a different neighborhood a few years back though I do get back there sometimes.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SonOfGhostDad posted:

it really annoys me when people say or list on menus "with au jus." "au jus" means "with juice!" stop it! this is the close cousin of "ATM machine," the brother of "PIN number," "SSN number," and "VIN number."

A few days ago, a friend told me how much their "per diem" was "per day."

I'm still a bit drunk off it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SonOfGhostDad posted:

My language has a loop hole. We call it "PIN code" so it's a bit unnecessary but at least not repetitive. But it is a bit awkward to say just "PIN" it sounds nicer with the "number".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ynohtna posted:

A few days ago, a friend told me how much their "per diem" was "per day."

I'm still a bit drunk off it.

Just wait till you learn what entrée means