Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Leal posted:

It did happen with Elden Ring. Which led to images like this being made

I stopped playing Steep because of that. Ubi really have the gift for "loud" UI. Even in a game where you're skiing alone down a remote mountain peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If I am not mistaken I think this conversation also happened with the new Zelda.

I think it is mostly an expression of frustration at the path taken by most companies that have the scale and resources to do what Larian, Nintendo and FromSoft do, but don't because they are chasing GaaS trends and pushing for things that generally make the game experience worse. Looking at you, Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft and Blizzard-Activision.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now that Swen has more money than God the next Panel From Hell will take place in an actual castle.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Not gonna lie, legit respect for Swen in building a career that lets him go in plate mail to social events.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turbo Overkill owns

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Pleads posted:

IGN of all places had a decent youtube vid addressing this and then comparing Larian's employee count and dev cycle to noted shitmakers like Blizzard, Bungie, Bioware, etc.

I'm glad BG3 is doing well and I'm playing it but I'm also frequently getting mad at the 5e changes they made and some of the UI and Larian's poor understanding of encounter balancing :goonsay:

The game is pretty great aside from all the random dead levels that serve no purpose. I respecced my barbarian to level 7 and got no choices except one feat at level 4

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

If I am not mistaken I think this conversation also happened with the new Zelda.

I think it is mostly an expression of frustration at the path taken by most companies that have the scale and resources to do what Larian, Nintendo and FromSoft do, but don't because they are chasing GaaS trends and pushing for things that generally make the game experience worse. Looking at you, Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft and Blizzard-Activision.

Does Ubi chase GaaS trends? When I think of their games I just think of POI fatigue and also I guess they probably sell skins.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sab669 posted:

Does Ubi chase GaaS trends? When I think of their games I just think of POI fatigue and also I guess they probably sell skins.

right now they have Riders Republic, The Crew 2, The Division 2, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege, could be more

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I knew people still played R6 Siege, but I guess I assumed everything else of theirs was pretty dead.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

The game is pretty great aside from all the random dead levels that serve no purpose. I respecced my barbarian to level 7 and got no choices except one feat at level 4

Were you expecting Barbarian to be the thinking man's class?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

from software also employs people to put all that stuff (which is in the game) in the game.

To be fair sidequest as are in the game but only kind of.

Though they are much better than they were in the soulsborne games so FROM is learning very slowly

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jarvisi posted:

welcome to dnd

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ubisoft quest markers suck but i wouldn't hold fromsofts "nearly impossible to complete without reading the wiki" sidequests as a shining counterexample

especially in elden ring where the quest NPCs just arbitrarily teleport around the huge world so the odds of organically stumbling into them again are close to zero

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The system used in Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire remains the best in terms of levelling experience and character builds. Fight me (in RTwP)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

repiv posted:

ubisoft quest markers suck but i wouldn't hold fromsofts "nearly impossible to complete without reading the wiki" sidequests as a shining counterexample

especially in elden ring where the quest NPCs just arbitrarily teleport around the huge world so the odds of organically stumbling into them again are close to zero

Yeah, as I recall on release it didn't even have the option to manually put map markers on points of interest, which was legitimately a failing of the game that they fortunately corrected later. There's a (fairly subjective) line between letting players figure stuff out by themselves and just wasting everybody's time, and for me ER fell on the latter side of things more than a few times.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The guy complaining about the UI is a Ubisoft UI designer, the woman complaining about the graphics is a graphics programmer on the LEGO games, the guy complaining about quest design is a quest designer for Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West.
LEGO games rule though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

when will we get LEGO Bloodborne, cowards

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Let the minifig gently caress the bear.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

repiv posted:

I completed most of the NPC quests in my first playthrough without looking anything up. Unlike Dark Souls 3, a game where you can fail NPC quests simply by setting foot in the wrong room, Elden Ring quests are for the most part not missable, or if you do miss them it's because you did something specifically counter to what the quest involves, as opposed to just arbitrarily missing quest triggers. And they added NPC markers on the map in one of the early patches after that as well.

It's a game that actively rejects being a checklist "do everything in one playthrough" type of experience anyway, at least not without significant legwork on the player's part, so I don't think it's a failing as much as it is a difference. I just happen to prefer not feeling like an unchecked quest is an unfinished bit of business that I have yet to do, instead of something that I may or may not choose to do. A game that really wants you to do every quest should probably give you an easy way to know which quests you've done and how to do them. Not every game has to be that kind of game.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 14, 2023

Iverron
May 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

The elden ring version of it was funnier because at least one of the angry devs was tweeting about how it's a bad game for lacking the things in that mock screenshot, not just tweeting that it set unrealistic expectations.

edit: here it is:

https://www.gamerbraves.com/horizon-and-ubisoft-game-developers-lock-twitter-accounts-after-posting-bitter-elden-ring-tweets/

The guy complaining about the UI is a Ubisoft UI designer, the woman complaining about the graphics is a graphics programmer on the LEGO games, the guy complaining about quest design is a quest designer for Horizon: Zero Dawn/Forbidden West.

the wishlist item button on the amazon app is an unadorned anchor tag

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress, lego souls/bloodborne would be so good why did i have to vocalize the thought, now it's all i'll be able to think about today

especially if it's in the style of the ps2 lego games

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gain insight and you see the hands moving the lego pieces

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

gently caress, lego souls/bloodborne would be so good why did i have to vocalize the thought, now it's all i'll be able to think about today

especially if it's in the style of the ps2 lego games

:krad:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KNR posted:

"Reviewers don't give a flaming poop about UX" shows he didn't get it at all. The issue isn't that UX is less important than he thought, the issue is that many people perceive the Ubisoft approach to UX as terrible:

all that HUD crap is UI not UX
problems with UX mean issues with fiddly interface stuff like the close-map button being something weird and different from the open-map button, or not being able to use rune consumables in shops or the level-up menu so you have to bounce back and forth between the menu and your inventory remembering the numbers and doing math to figure out how many to crack open, needing to press the upgrade-flask button before you can see whether you actually have enough goodies to upgrade your flask. stuff like that

big AAA companies like ubisoft have entire teams whose job is to bash their faces into all these menus and sand off the annoying rough edges, fromsoft clearly didn't.
but in the end people will gladly put up with 15 seconds of menu jank every hour of gameplay if the actual game itself is really fun

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 14, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
UX just means 'user experience' which includes non-UI things like 'how hard is it to figure out where you're supposed to go'. UX in application design is a lot more like a science than it is in game design. Games are meant to challenge and engage you in ways that applications never should.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

all that HUD crap is UI not UX
problems with UX mean issues with fiddly interface stuff like ...

Or when the main menu says "Press Any Key to Continue" but really you must press a key mapped to a Controller button :argh:
Or when the Enter key on the numberpad that's directly next to my thumb/mouse doesn't get treated the same as the 'regular' Enter key :argh::argh::argh:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Sab669 posted:

Or when the main menu says "Press Any Key to Continue" but really you must press a key mapped to a Controller button :argh:
Or when the Enter key on the numberpad that's directly next to my thumb/mouse doesn't get treated the same as the 'regular' Enter key :argh::argh::argh:

CR/LF claims another victim!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volte posted:

UX just means 'user experience' which includes non-UI things like 'how hard is it to figure out where you're supposed to go'. UX in application design is a lot more like a science than it is in game design. Games are meant to challenge and engage you in ways that applications never should.

Yeah this is I think exactly what the problem with Ubisoft's UX design is. There's a very specific way that things like web app frontends are (or should be) designed from a UX perspective (always making all relevant information easily accessible, always show a dashboard with clearly labeled sections, guide the user experience so they don't step off the rails). Ubisoft tries to achieve that in videogame form by making your screen always look like a dashboard.

The guy saying "reviewers don't give a flaming poop about UX" is horrendously mistaken about his assertations because he and the team he's on design phenomenally-bad user experiences for a videogame and don't understand the context of the UX they're trying to build (understanding context and empathizing with the user is like, step one of UX design). He's right about his entire life career being a lie, but that's because he was hired into the wrong industry.

Elden Ring on the other hand has a very deliberate UX design that encourages players to explore and experiment, which are some of the keys to videogame design, and this is reflected in its review scores and in the great experiences that users have had with it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 14, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Volte posted:

I completed most of the NPC quests in my first playthrough without looking anything up. Unlike Dark Souls 3, a game where you can fail NPC quests simply by setting foot in the wrong room, Elden Ring quests are for the most part not missable, or if you do miss them it's because you did something specifically counter to what the quest involves, as opposed to just arbitrarily missing quest triggers. And they added NPC markers on the map in one of the early patches after that as well.
nah, elden ring side quests are very missable if you're exploring. you can miss multiple questlines just by progressing into altus plateau before you meet the quest givers. i didn't figure out how to talk to blaidd while he was on the ruins and he literally disappeared from my entire game until showing up at ranni's tower angry that i did her entire ending questline without him and the only reason i knew who he was is because everyone else was talking about him.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Elden Ring has the least obscure NPC quests of a From game yet but the size of the world and NPCs continued tendency to zip zobbity zoop all over at the drop of a hat (or very non-obvious triggers) means that’s still a very low bar to clear.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t remember Elden Ring ever making me move a cursor around with a thumb stick and hold it down for several seconds to select an item

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

when i saw that +5% Damage From Wind Magic poo poo on accessories in single player, non-live-service game final fantasy 16 i actually wanted to end it all

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Despite my enjoyment of Diablo and other ARPGs, randomized, levelled loot in every other genre is a curse. Change my mind.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
While we're on the topic: game devs should never have surfaced damage numbers to their players.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

While we're on the topic: game devs should never have surfaced damage numbers to their players.

Oh yea totally, damage number popups are a red flag to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I immediately turn them off, even in the aforementioned diablolikes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
they're useful in build centric games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sometimes the number is 69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Serephina posted:

Oh yea totally, damage number popups are a red flag to me.

I hate shooting people with my subtractor gun.

I want guts to fly out of my enemies, not numbers, I don't need to work through my high school math trauma this way.