Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

That's not an Abrams, just look at how tiny that turret is

Fat tank can't see its turret

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uouEMFIlDCs

It's a loving iPhone commercial

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I see Model 1 and Model X, what happened to models 2 through 9?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you're not kidding jesus

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

they adopted a smart phone naming scheme so why not

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hey Abram, battle mode.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey Abrams, play me some music by John Williams

Ok, I will kill some brown civilians

Goddammit, ah well

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So when is the abrams production line moving to china?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

So when is the abrams production line moving to china?

Additional question: how many of the components don't already come from China?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
usmc = united states marketing corp

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Hyperbole (ὑπερβολή, superlatio) is a deliberately exaggerated phrase: quod erit vobis luce clarius, iudices, tum cum eos ipsos produxero qui dederunt (‘‘it will be clearer than light [i.e., crystal clear] to you, judges, when I have called those who have paid,’’ Cic. Verr. 2.2.186).

can I get ὑπερβολή’s superlatio) snap? hook a brother up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what to do with this information

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

palindrome posted:

speaking of, many people have probably read about the planthopper insect that has interlocking gears for super jumping. I am imagining clockwork creatures with differential gears and flywheels and poo poo several hundred million years from now. Or things even stranger than I can imagine.

good job nature, keep evolving stuff

that reminds me of the weird second book of His Dark Materials where those animals evolved to roll around on giant nuts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

does this include omegas?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hence The Hunt for Red Oct is the best book.

Where is Bear and Dragon?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is good news for ukraine

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

palindrome posted:

speaking of, many people have probably read about the planthopper insect that has interlocking gears for super jumping. I am imagining clockwork creatures with differential gears and flywheels and poo poo several hundred million years from now. Or things even stranger than I can imagine.

good job nature, keep evolving stuff

For anyone wondering but too lazy to dig deeper, young planthopper insects have gear teeth on its legs(adult insects have friction pads that do the same thing) to keep them synchronized when it jumps (otherwise if both legs aren't applying the same force at the same time in the same direction the insect will go flying off in a random direction). They aren't arranged 360° around a circle like a mechanical gear. Nature hasn't figured out how to create a biological wheel...yet...

I like how when the MIC has to sell the future of weapons it's always angular (and not for radar stealth reasons). You know its the future of warfighting when it looks like something out of an early 2000s RTS. Extruded hexagons aesthetic.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Now I can't find the academic paper on it (love that government funded science often sits behind paywalls!) rather than the crummy pop-sci articles, but various moths have all sorts of counter-measures for bat echolocation.

Survival countermeasures include:
-moths with fuzzy bodies to absorb some level of dB
-Dangling decoy tails, which aren't fatal if lost to a bat
-The moth making buzzing or even chittering back false returns to the bat, to throw off the bat's ability to range and time its strike. Think jamming that gives direction, but not distance. these moths don't do this just all the time, but instead make these sounds once they hear bats closing in and starting to echolocate more frequently.
-shaped wings and bodies to deflect soundwaves away from the source (i.e. denying the return directly back to the bat)
-mimicking the sounds of other species of moths that are poisonous or otherwise undesirable to eat

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

-shaped wings and bodies to deflect soundwaves away from the source (i.e. denying the return directly back to the bat)

The moths a few generations from now will become living F-35s :tinfoil:.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

:pwn:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

Suicidal and useless?

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

KomradeX posted:

Suicidal and useless?

Same

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

No we just found the next MIC boondoggle with a sky high price. The biomechanical f-36 super moth. With actual VTOL.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The British navy is teaming up with the US to build a new 'Dreadnought' for a totally different battle at sea

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Watch it actually be downsizing from a dozen agile platforms to 2-3 fat whales. Only 1 seaworthy at any given time. Rule Britannia.

Their mission? To do lazy figure 8s in the north sea until they rust out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They will never finish a single submarine, I will toxx on it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How many military shipyards are left in the UK? It's only BAE at this point, isn't it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The country supposedly helping Australia with their future subs are getting help from the USA with their own sub project.

(Sniffs air, wrinkles nose)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone who actually knows what they're doing with subs retired or found other jobs. It's just unqualified project managers all the way down.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

The British government has also set up a contingency fund of about $12.75 billion, money that can be "re-profiled" to keep the program on track. The MoD has already accessed about 20% of the fund

gently caress I wish I was allowed to run projects like that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

The British government has also set up a contingency fund of about $12.75 billion, money that can be "re-profiled" to keep the program on track. The MoD has already accessed about 20% of the fund

We need to set aside another 20% for our Audemars Piguet watch procurement team I mean next generation technology working group.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

The country supposedly helping Australia with their future subs are getting help from the USA with their own sub project.

(Sniffs air, wrinkles nose)

They just added "UK" into Aukus to make the project more of a global collaboration instead of just AU paying for US used nuclear subs station in AU doing 100% the jobs of the US navy for the US.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

*salivating at the image of bombarding the PLA at the coast of hong kong completely unopposed*

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
re-profiling not bombarding

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Did someone say subs
https://www.businessinsider.com/socom-working-on-dry-combat-submersible-to-carry-navy-seals-2023-8

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"'Warm, rested, hydrated and ready'"

The Nixon class of submarines

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Clancy was a Roman Catholic. The plot of his novel Red Rabbit revolves around John Paul II.[43] In a June 27, 1993, interview with The Washington Post, he was quoted as saying, "I've had [sex scenes] in my books before, but you had to look real fast because, you know, I'm a married Catholic and I don't do that."[44] In a 2002 interview with Lev Grossman for Time magazine, Clancy lamented what he perceived as society's double standard in the way Catholics are viewed by some people in society in relation to other demographic segments: "You can't hate black people any more, of course, and you can't hate homosexuals any more, but you can hate all the Catholics you want."[43]

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Proust Malone posted:

"'Warm, rested, hydrated and ready'"

The Nixon class of submarines

Warm rested hydrated thriving ready moisturized in my lane canoeing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They are going to be so disappointed when they find out that their elite naval demolitions commandos have been ruined by 20 years of just murdering people and calling for air support while growing beards and bragging to everyone within earshot in Virginia Beach bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Now I can't find the academic paper on it (love that government funded science often sits behind paywalls!) rather than the crummy pop-sci articles, but various moths have all sorts of counter-measures for bat echolocation.

Survival countermeasures include:
-moths with fuzzy bodies to absorb some level of dB
-Dangling decoy tails, which aren't fatal if lost to a bat
-The moth making buzzing or even chittering back false returns to the bat, to throw off the bat's ability to range and time its strike. Think jamming that gives direction, but not distance. these moths don't do this just all the time, but instead make these sounds once they hear bats closing in and starting to echolocate more frequently.
-mimicking the sounds of other species of moths that are poisonous or otherwise undesirable to eat

I think some moths also have a quick epileptic fit when hit with echolocation, resulting in erratic evasive manoeuvering.