Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I had to cut back on beer per night as my 2 tallboys was very much affecting my bottom line in both senses

so now i drink a tall boy and then a polar seltzer instead because it tastes like something and has bubbles and i can chug it and feel something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Lifehack: Work in the brewing industry so you have cheap/free beer forever.

By the alchemical laws of equal exchange, though, you must hand over your back, your knees, and any hopes of a living wage.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RocketMermaid posted:

By the alchemical laws of equal exchange, though, you must hand over your back, your knees, and any hopes of a living wage.

I lost all that poo poo years ago so I guess I should start working in a brewery?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It'll also take your mental health and liver.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm going to Oktoberfest this year in Munich, has anyone done it and have tips? The Germany thread in D&D (which afaict is the only active germany thread) is just telling me not to go because it's a tourist trap. I know it's a tourist trap.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

more falafel please posted:

I'm going to Oktoberfest this year in Munich, has anyone done it and have tips? The Germany thread in D&D (which afaict is the only active germany thread) is just telling me not to go because it's a tourist trap. I know it's a tourist trap.

They sound like they hate fun

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Don't go on the rides after drinking many beers.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
If the line for the bathroom is too long just piss under the table.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

If you pour fruit syrup on yourself and say “Ich bin ein belinerweiss” it’ll get a big laugh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When you participate in a stein lift make sure you click your heels, raise your stein straight armed and above your head, and avoid using the word heil in any way

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Drink lots of beers and eat lots of food

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fight!

https://goldcountrymedia.com/news/295079/battle-over-brews-rocklin-lincoln-breweries-go-head-to-head-in-court/

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’m going to be near Oklahoma City / Norman this weekend. Other than Prairie , any recommendations ?

If I go into another mid west beer bar and they recommend Southern Tier to me I am going to go full Beale.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Are... you suggesting Oklahoma is the midwest?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I am

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Coastal Elites itt

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Southern Tier is in NY

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It is , but it seems the last few times I’ve gone west and stopped at the ol’ watering hole , Southern Tier IPA has cropped up on a tap handle .

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If places have American Solera that's another very good Tulsa brewery.

Also, to settle what region Oklahoma belongs to: it's in hell.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Coop and Stonecloud are both very good.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Also, to settle what region Oklahoma belongs to: it's in hell.
a.k.a. Southern great plains, where five different geographies collide like a spectacular train wreck, leaving behind the worst incombustible ash of each. a true gem

Coop Native Amber is my suggestion, but a little harder to find.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's an American Solera location in OKC now, probably worth checking into. Everything I've had from Coop and Roughtail has been decent, but we don't get a ton of Oklahoma beers distroed in Texas other than Prairie so I can't speak to any of the smaller spots.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I drank the last bottle of Anchor Brewing beer I owned. I feel like I should bury the bottle in a flag-draped coffin or something.

Seriously gently caress you Sapporo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

RocketMermaid posted:

Kaiho posted:

It'll also take your mental health and liver.

LOL yeah, this poo poo eats you up. It's almost not worth it (except for the free/cheap beer part).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

more falafel please posted:

Go to Augustiner's tent for beer. Get the Steckerlfisch wherever the food is, it's loving delicious. And as much of a tourist trap as it is, you'll end up sitting next to friendly strangers and have a ball. My mom and I went when she came to visit me during my time overseas and it was one of the best times we've had together during my adult life.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I hit prairie’s… outpost in the 8th street market . No samples no flights , that’s cool I guess .

I went to 405 in Norman and had a great time with Trae and Justin tasting their beers . They did some barrel pulls to talk about how things were progressing , their brewery plans , etc .

I also hit BiG in Norman which was hosting a forum for a progressive newsletter . They had great beers and it was actually really cool to walk into something like that and hear the town discuss LGBTQ rights and issues . The bartender there was cool . I ran into another , Chris , in OkC who was apologizing for it as it does monopolize the location. Mixed feelings but it was a great experience .

Been a while since I have gone legit brewery hopping and talked to the crews at these places , great time .

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
No samples, no flights, I believe they're doing it right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

No flights, fine, probably giving up free money there but your choice. No samples, I don’t understand, is washing glasses that hard?

I guess Treehouse and similar places don’t do samples but those are just lines for beer, not bars.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sampling can take up a lot of a bartender's time and attention when it's busy. Working a bar and having to politely pour samples for one indecisive dork while twelve other guests pointedly make eye contact with you sucks so bad.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think asking for one or two samples is fine. I don’t think it’s out of place to ask to try something you’re about to spend $10 on, especially if it’s maybe a style you aren’t familiar with or whatever, but if a place has 15 taps and you’re asking for a sip of everything that’s a real dick move and you should get billed for a pint or at minimum leave one hell of a tip. If a place is really busy I usually just google the beer/look it up on untapped and see if it it sounds good to me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also if you aren’t going to serve flights, maybe offer short pours as an alternative.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If I'm getting a crowler filled at a brewery I definitely ask for samples unless I already know for sure what style I want. I have a pretty hard limit of 4 though. Just feels like common sense to not ask for too many.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yet every day I'm at a beer place I see people not having that common sense.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Also if you aren’t going to serve flights, maybe offer short pours as an alternative.

this imo

full pour of lager and a shortie of a stout/barleywine ftw

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of our local bars does half pours of anything for half price which I always appreciated.

Another does short pours for some beers for half price plus $1 which is more confusing and seems like a lot of work to manage on their menu.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They did offer 4oz pours for ~$5 a pop but you couldn’t get more than two at a time . I don’t understand that unless there was some local regulation on the number of “drinks” you could have at one moment . They weren’t busy at all but the person bartending had nothing to say about any of the beer either , so asking beyond the description on the menu didn’t really work .

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
probably a state law. in va, you can only be served two drinks at a time regardless of size (to control overserving and underage drinking), but a flight only counts as one because it's all part of the same order.

but, yeah, no flights AND no samples is weak.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Y'all tip on samples, right?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
$1 each is how I do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I was not expecting a serious answer but yes.