Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I don't think this actually happened

https://twitter.com/nojumper/status/1381682113951375361?t=nHvt5e6lGx0tbcHwh2kTxQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh well there's a tweet

case closed

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh well there's a tweet

case closed

It's more than a tweet, friend. No Jumper has been applauded for it's journalistic integrity for decades, and many more to come! XD

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

This is what will lead to the fall of his house

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
why is usher still going to clubs? he's like 58 years old.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

netizen posted:

Isn’t that the prime demographic for strip clubs?

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

HashtagGirlboss posted:

That and Bachelor Parties XD

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

netizen posted:

What age do men usually stop liking titties in their face?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

Isn't Chinese food security rooted heavily in their trade relationships with the US and Ukraine. The world wants corn and soy now, not rice.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

men are required to do everything that men like to do between the ages of 21 and 22

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

men are required to do everything that men like to do between the ages of 21 and 22

I'm not saying that, just that I'd be surprised if people stopped going to strip clubs at a certain age.

Beats me though, I'm nearly 40 and have never been to a strip club so maybe I missed the titty window

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess you got me there . lol. I just think it's funny imagining an old rear end usher flinging usherbux at a strip club like he's still got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBSyx85Kp8

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not saying that, just that I'd be surprised if people stopped going to strip clubs at a certain age.

Beats me though, I'm nearly 40 and have never been to a strip club so maybe I missed the titty window

According to several people I have known, that means you're gay actually.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Biplane posted:

According to several people I have known, that means you're gay actually.

Awesome, my social life is about to get a lot more lively

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Better Nate than lever!!!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

i think some people have been on ssris for so long they've forgot that you can still be horny over 30

not a judgement, just noting that ssris have real bad side effects

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think some people have been on ssris for so long they've forgot that you can still be horny over 30

not a judgement, just noting that ssris have real bad side effects

I'm on an SSRI and I'm hornier than ever past 30, eat it losers

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

shame, boy. shame

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Shame Boy posted:

You tearing up the strip club or what?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
see, you went to hornyposting and now goons are telling each other to eat it, pff

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

someone stepping up to claim the iron crown...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Around age 1. Dunno about straight guys tho

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I hope you are getting loving paid, yo. Non-profit work is usually a poo poo-show of drama that pays like garbage because they expect you to be "committed to the work." Government work usually pays better, has better benefits, and is frequently as (if not more) altruistic.

I am getting paid, but not terribly well. I have an MA in history so the options aren’t great. I’m definitely acutely aware that they’re a sector characterized by a kind of passion based exploitation, but luckily this new role is on the larger size as it’s an organization with 200+ employees and a budget in the 100m range.

would definitely prefer working for the state. my previous role was as an admissions officer for an MA program and got laid off during the most recent round of brutal austerity related cuts. I had been there for four years, it was my alma mater, perfect reviews with recommendations for a promotion every year, etc.

this job is a slight raise of around $5k, so I’m making $50k now, which is just enough to make up for the difference per month in insurance costs and give me maybe an extra hundred bucks a month after everything is accounted for. it’s also remote and so far has been really low pressure, my manager told me I did a superlative job my first week and I spent half of it playing BG3 between doing my actual assigned tasks. I have a little less vacation time but they have better retirement stuff and sick time is separate from vacation so if you combine them it’s pretty much a wash. it’s also remote like my last role which is great when you’re used to it.

anyway I think I basically got insanely lucky with this in that I got the first job I interviewed for and am thus receiving severance and am still insured, it is technically an improvement, and they’re growing instead of collapsing. but you’re 100% right in general and I intend to use this experience to move into for profit permutations of the same sector where the real money is.

having a humanities background and history in higher ed admin definitely limits the commodifiable skills one has, which really depresses me thinking about my dad who has an MA in religious studies and built a lucrative lower-bounds six figure career in university administration but when I tried to do the exact same thing in the same way at the same institution I got laid off

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

I am getting paid, but not terribly well. I have an MA in history so the options aren’t great. I’m definitely acutely aware that they’re a sector characterized by a kind of passion based exploitation, but luckily this new role is on the larger size as it’s an organization with 200+ employees and a budget in the 100m range.

would definitely prefer working for the state. my previous role was as an admissions officer for an MA program and got laid off during the most recent round of brutal austerity related cuts. I had been there for four years, it was my alma mater, perfect reviews with recommendations for a promotion every year, etc.

this job is a slight raise of around $5k, so I’m making $50k now, which is just enough to make up for the difference per month in insurance costs and give me maybe an extra hundred bucks a month after everything is accounted for. it’s also remote and so far has been really low pressure, my manager told me I did a superlative job my first week and I spent half of it playing BG3 between doing my actual assigned tasks. I have a little less vacation time but they have better retirement stuff and sick time is separate from vacation so if you combine them it’s pretty much a wash. it’s also remote like my last role which is great when you’re used to it.

anyway I think I basically got insanely lucky with this in that I got the first job I interviewed for and am thus receiving severance and am still insured, it is technically an improvement, and they’re growing instead of collapsing. but you’re 100% right in general and I intend to use this experience to move into for profit permutations of the same sector where the real money is.

having a humanities background and history in higher ed admin definitely limits the commodifiable skills one has, which really depresses me thinking about my dad who has an MA in religious studies and built a lucrative lower-bounds six figure career in university administration but when I tried to do the exact same thing in the same way at the same institution I got laid off
Ooooofffff, academia to nonprofit work? You just well and truly hate money, huh?

Feel free to tell me to gently caress off if you're not looking for advice or already know what you want to do, but there's a career path thread in BFC that generally knows what they're talking about.

With a masters, you could totally be making way more than that with just a little more credentialing; get a project management or HR certification, jump on that sweet middle-management money train. If you're smarter than a bowl of yeast and capable of the barest minimum of human decency, you'll be in the top 2% of HR professionals.

Alternatively, take the default goon pathway, and learn to touch computer. Get yourself an ITIL cert and make CISO in no time.

It really does loving suck, but academia used to pay pretty decently, and you'd get a bunch of time off in the summer if you wanted to spend it with your kids, but now it's just a loving suckers' game. Capitalism ruins everything.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

With a masters, you could totally be making way more than that with just a little more credentialing; get a project management or HR certification, jump on that sweet middle-management money train. If you're smarter than a bowl of yeast and capable of the barest minimum of human decency, you'll be in the top 2% of HR professionals.
is the HR cert worth it without a masters?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

is the HR cert worth it without a masters?

Most of the HR people I've worked with making good money had a masters, but that is very much anecdotal. I am not an expert, highly recommend the career path thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lemme just join HR lol.

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

Ham Equity posted:

Most of the HR people I've worked with making good money had a masters, but that is very much anecdotal. I am not an expert, highly recommend the career path thread.

The REAL question is: Is working in HR worth the pain?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

lemme just join HR lol.

Kingoffrogs posted:

If you're trying to pivot from admissions officer, it's the first thing that jumps into my head that your skillset would be applicable to.

And getting paid six figures working on HR sure as poo poo sounds a lot better to me than making $50k as an office jockey. That extra money buys off a lot of misery.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
International student offices at universities pay pretty well and you can feel good about ensuring people get the assistance they need. I started in a front desk position but was trained in a specific database and regulations later and made a decent living. Others were trained on the job to be officers F1/J1/H1B visa programs (I'm in the US).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kingoffrogs posted:

Would be rather soul crushing. But is the HR worker union any good??

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Kingoffrogs posted:

I've often wondered if HR people have any wiggle room to advocate for workers or if they are just paid to be the smiling face on the boot. Assuming it's a mixed bag, but I've mostly seen the latter.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

AxGrap posted:

I've often wondered if HR people have any wiggle room to advocate for workers or if they are just paid to be the smiling face on the boot. Assuming it's a mixed bag, but I've mostly seen the latter.

HR is absolutely the smiling face on the boot, that's its entire function

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

AxGrap posted:

Yeh it's a mixed bag, like the people that become good cops

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

AxGrap posted:

face boot op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

folks, please don't get a HR certificate and please don't work in HR. this should go without saying, really.

e: you're not gonna change HR from the inside

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Sometimes hr problems are employee vs employee and the corporate minions have to side with one :shrug:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Sometimes hr problems are employee vs employee and the corporate minions have to side with one :shrug:

yea the one that is gonna cause the least problems -- often not the victim.

it's also not a massive part of HR. a little, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ikanreed posted:

The one that somehow results in greater profits at the end of the quarter/FY.