Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

Don't listen to me, ask the Lt. Gov. He's calling for The Pivot, at long last. Wish they'd just post the indictment already.

45 counts of patriotism,
47 counts of perfect phone call
1 tmrp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"We returned Crimea, you will return Alaska"

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hatebag posted:

We're makin it ukrain over there

Ukraine man

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
I want to see phone calls and emails and text messages. I guess we already know there's a RICO charge coming and that was really all I was wondering about on specific charges. So far we know everything but all the really funny stuff.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

School district uses ChatGPT to help remove library books

Faced with new legislation, Iowa's Mason City Community School District asked ChatGPT if certain books 'contain a description or depiction of a sex act.'

By Andrew Paul | Published Aug 14, 2023 3:00 PM EDT

Against a nationwide backdrop of book bans and censorship campaigns, Iowa educators are turning to ChatGPT to help decide which titles should be removed from their school library shelves in order to legally comply with recent Republican-backed state legislation, PopSci has learned.

According to an August 11 article in the Iowa state newspaper The Gazette, spotted by PEN America, the Mason City Community School District recently removed 19 books from its collection ahead of its quickly approaching 2023-24 academic year. The ban attempts to comply with a new law requiring Iowa school library catalogs to be both “age appropriate” and devoid of “descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act.” Speaking with The Gazette last week, Mason City’s Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Bridgette Exman argued it was “simply not feasible to read every book and filter for these new requirements.”

“Frankly, we have more important things to do than spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to protect kids from books,” Exman tells PopSci via email. “At the same time, we do have a legal and ethical obligation to comply with the law. Our goal here really is a defensible process.”

According to The Gazette, the resulting strategy involved compiling a master list of commonly challenged books, then utilizing a previously unnamed “AI software” to supposedly provide textual analysis for each title. Flagged books were then removed from Mason City’s 7-12th grade school library collections and “stored in the Administrative Center” as educators “await further guidance or clarity.” Titles included Alice Walker’s The Color Purple, Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, Toni Morrison’s Beloved, and Buzz Bissinger’s Friday Night Lights.

“We are confident this process will ensure the spirit of the law is enacted here in Mason City,” Exman said at the time. When asked to clarify what software Mason City administrators harnessed to help with their decisions on supposedly sexually explicit material, Exman revealed their AI tool of choice: “We used Chat GPT [sic] to help answer that question,” says Exman, who believes Senate File 496’s “age-appropriateness” stipulation is “pretty subjective… [but] the depictions or descriptions of sex acts filter is more objective.”

According to Exman, she and fellow administrators first compiled a master list of commonly challenged books, then removed all those challenged for reasons other than sexual content. For those titles within Mason City’s library collections, administrators asked ChatGPT the specific language of Iowa’s new law, “Does [book] contain a description or depiction of a sex act?”

“If the answer was yes, the book will be removed from circulation and stored,” writes Exman.

OpenAI’s ChatGPT is arguably the most well-known and popular—as well as controversial—generative AI program currently available to the public. Leveraging vast quantities of data, the large language model (LLM) offers users extremely convincing written responses to inputs, but often with caveats regarding misinformation, accuracy, and sourcing. In recent months, researchers have theorized its consistency and quality appears to be degrading over time.

Upon asking ChatGPT, “Do any of the following books or book series contain explicit or sexual scenes?” OpenAI’s program offered PopSci a different content analysis than what Mason City administrators received. Of the 19 removed titles, ChatGPT told PopSci that only four contained “Explicit or Sexual Content.” Another six supposedly contain “Mature Themes but not Necessary Explicit Content.” The remaining nine were deemed to include “Primarily Mature Themes, Little to No Explicit Sexual Content.”

Regardless of whether or not any of the titles do or do not contain said content, ChatGPT’s varying responses highlight troubling deficiencies of accuracy, analysis, and consistency. A repeat inquiry regarding The Kite Runner, for example, gives contradictory answers. In one response, ChatGPT deems Khaled Hosseini’s novel to contain “little to no explicit sexual content.” Upon a separate follow-up, the LLM affirms the book “does contain a description of a sexual assault.”

Exman tells PopSci that, even with ChatGPT’s deficiencies, administrators believe the tool remains the simplest way to legally comply with new legislation. Gov. Kim Reynolds’ signed off on the new bill on May 26, 2023, giving just three months to comply.

For now, educators like Exman are likely to continue receiving new curriculum restrictions from politicians hoping to advance their agendas. Despite the known concerns, the rush to adhere to these guidelines could result in continued utilization of AI shortcuts like ChatGPT.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I thought they had to then go across the street with the special grand jury recommendations to a real grand jury that can actually do indictments

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"
Wow I'm surprised @AccountableGOP was available. Anyway here's the call and some more from LtG.

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1688912265326850048?s=20

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

mdemone posted:

34 felonies in Manhattan
40 felonies in Florida
4 felonies in DC
39 felonies in Georgia (assuming all are voted up)

that's not a bad haul so far. I could expect some superseding indictments but 117 is a good start

Enough to keep him "on the front pages" for a long long time. That's where he thrives. He'll love it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

I want to see phone calls and emails and text messages. I guess we already know there's a RICO charge coming and that was really all I was wondering about on specific charges. So far we know everything but all the really funny stuff.

love to run for President as a vanity project after living a oval office hair under legal radars as a famous billionaire crook for 6 decades and then try to coup the country when i lose and my myriad of crimes begin to be investigated

Elon Musk might be able to eventually create a larger magnitude narcissist meltdown just by his access to resources and military grade rocketry alone, but it's hard to top the Tump rn or ever again, you probably gotta find some case from antiquity

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Congrats to all these Pell Grant recipients who started a business that operated for three years in disadvantaged communities!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
A man named RICO, who I don’t know and, to the best of my knowledge, never met, is on the FRONT PAGE of the Fake News Reuters saying I committed several crimes in the great state of Georgia where I made a perfect phone call….. many say to this day it was the most perfect phone call they ever heard.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
what in the gently caress is brick cheese

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Disney response:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is trump in jail now

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sinnesloeschen posted:

cheese in the shape of a brick?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1691219740847411201

Lmfao, good luck with that

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"So, polling the room, anyone know how to pivot out of a enormous crevice full of sewage?"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh, it's actually a thing

quote:

Brick cheese: a true Wisconsin stinker

They call brick cheese "the married man's limburger." It's strong enough to satisfy the serious cheese devotee, but mild enough to keep the spouse in the house. When young, brick cheese is deliciously mild. But given some time to ripen, it develops some serious pungency and tang.

The world can thank Wisconsin for this mini stinker. First crafted in the late 1800s and named for the bricks used to press the curds, brick cheese is derived from white American cheddar, but cultured at a higher temperature to produce more fat content and a different protein structure. The result: somewhat softer taste with a deliciously sharper finish.

Slice it for sandwiches, melt it with polenta, or dollop it on your pizza. Brick cheese adds tangy flavor and creamy texture to any dish.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Glumwheels posted:

Lots of people throwing trump and ladybugs under the bus, many fine people who trump has never met and doesn’t even know!

Ladybugs!

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

smarxist posted:

love to run for President as a vanity project after living a oval office hair under legal radars as a famous billionaire crook for 6 decades and then try to coup the country when i lose and my myriad of crimes begin to be investigated

Elon Musk might be able to eventually create a larger magnitude narcissist meltdown just by his access to resources and military grade rocketry alone, but it's hard to top the Tump rn or ever again, you probably gotta find some case from antiquity

Yes lol. Dr Ronny is a good reminder that that's all Trump is. They don't ever exceed or rise above. Trump better be threatening to destroy people and invade to look for votes and poo poo. We deserve it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

sinnesloeschen posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_cheese

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DryGoods posted:

this "Dune"

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

the milk machine posted:

is trump in jail now

he just beat up the biggest baddest guy there (tattoos)

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

the milk machine posted:

is trump in jail now

He's in the Greatest Prison of them all: The Human Mind.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't like prison rape jokes but I wouldn't want to be trumps cellmate

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the milk machine posted:

is trump in jail now

He was on his way to stand trial when he was savagely cut in half by a maniac with a halberd. Very sad

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/GaryGrumbach/status/1691231768144146432

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Bip Roberts posted:

Lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DryGoods posted:

He's in the Greatest Prison of them all: The Human Mind.

the big question remains: whose mind??

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bip Roberts posted:

imagine the smell

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlecAHernandez/status/1691217524858269696

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

E the Shaggy posted:

Of the many Trump conspiracies, I'll go to my dying day believing that Melania had a body double hanging out with Trump during some of those Presidential events. The way he kept saying "My wife, who is right here by the way." just cemented it.

And I'll continue believing all those days he spent on the golf course he had a body double play for him while he did nefarious poo poo and probably hookers in the clubhouse.

Oh hey, remember when he had the press all sit waiting in his golf clubhouse and taped over all the windows so they wouldn't be able to see anything? Was that a class act or what?

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Is it a good prison rape joke? I dunno, but you flipped it at least so it's not a lazy one. Probably the best one I've read ITT in months.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1691194553699577856

How many lawsuits does he have against him jfc

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
imagine you're a few years into your 10 in some minimum security thing for like fraud and you get to be cellies with president donald john trump!

a majestic event to be sure

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

Just wanted to take Bill's temperature and tbh I didn't expect this.

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1691198328745213952?s=20

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nah, it’s a good thing, you do what the law demands and once you get a hung jury in Washington over trump literally selling documents to the Saudis you can wash your hands of caring about America or Americans ever again.

Sounds good!