Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
scumple the bumples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

valve needs to fix it so my killstreaks don't get reset every time i swap loadouts, this is engineer discrimintion

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're getting regularly quick scoped by a sniper the person playing is very, very good at sniper so you should probably avoid them

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

When I have a good Sniper I like to kritz them as Medic. Go ham with them bodyshots!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kritzing a sleeper sniper, the deadliest of piss guns

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
After spending some time using the Baby Face's Blaster, I've decided the community is dumb and wrong and the weapon is Good. Not as good as base scatter, but pretty much nothing is. The speed penalty isn't nearly as crippling as people make it out to be - you're still faster than every other class. So the only major downside imo is the -2 clip size, which does suck but you'll windup wanting to use it as a hit and run weapon anyways, and it's amazing for that. It lets you dip surprisingly deep into enemy territory and still zoom away, I find I get away with a lot more using it compared to base scatter or soda popper. I know guillotine is popular with it but I find a pistol to be a better choice, up to preference which one. One or two pot shots even from a long distance and you're pretty much at regular speed or faster, and then you have a backup in case you beef your shots (but you should probably run away at that point anyways).

For comedy, pair the BFB with crit a cola - you're losing all your boost of you get hit anyways, and the burst damage is hilarious. Though probably not worth giving up a pistol or guillotine.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
It’s real lovely that you lose speed from jumping though, if that wasn’t the case then I would use it more

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The BFB isn't as competitive as the standard shotgun, but it's a great twist on the class and is usually a lot of fun.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't stop using the PBPP. I'm not even saying its good, but it looks and sounds great and I just can't bring myself to use the vanilla pistol.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

The BFB isn't as competitive as the standard shotgun, but it's a great twist on the class and is usually a lot of fun.

Yeah this is mostly what I was trying to say. I'm surprised to see how low players tend to rank it, often saying it's straight-up a bad weapon. All you gotta do is adjust your playstyle a bit and it really shines! Hell, I tend to do better with it than the Soda Popper, but that's probably because my aim isn't great so whiffing a shot or two hurts a lot more with the SP, and I tend to die before I can get + properly use a full hype charge. I also find it odd how much players poo poo on the Sun-on-a-Stick, calling it one of the worst weapons in the game etc. Yeah you can't light people on fire as a scout, but if your either has a few Pyros why not bring it along? The crit damage is solid if your team has pyros, and burn damage is pretty threatening for how squishy scout is. Major downside is that it's ugly.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can't stop using the PBPP. I'm not even saying its good, but it looks and sounds great and I just can't bring myself to use the vanilla pistol.

It is really good too though, it's so hard to justify any other pistol. You usually are using the pistol for chip damage or finishing folks off anyways, so the less damage per clip doesn't feel like a major downside - especially with how much utility it has for topping off your health.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 16, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm too rusty to do much scouting these days but back when I played scout a lot I loved the pocket pistol. It is a little more demanding on your tracking but if your aim is on target it's all upside.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah this is mostly what I was trying to say. I'm surprised to see how low players tend to rank it, often saying it's straight-up a bad weapon. All you gotta do is adjust your playstyle a bit and it really shines! Hell, I tend to do better with it than the Soda Popper, but that's probably because my aim isn't great so whiffing a shot or two hurts a lot more with the SP, and I tend to die before I can get + properly use a full hype charge. I also find it odd how much players poo poo on the Sun-on-a-Stick, calling it one of the worst weapons in the game etc. Yeah you can't light people on fire as a scout, but if your either has a few Pyros why not bring it along? The crit damage is solid if your team has pyros, and burn damage is pretty threatening for how squishy scout is. Major downside is that it's ugly.

it's bad because it's a damage-focused scout melee

scout doesn't want to try and club people to death with a bat because bats do poor damage and he's made of tissue paper so scout melees usually provide utility, which the stick must compete with and it doesn't really have any. the only other scout melee which does not provide real utility is the stock bat. the bat is already bad for killing people with because it does less damage than a normal melee, and the stick is even worse because it does even less damage. the only time it does more damage is when someone is on fire, which you have no way of actually causing. if they are on fire, you do 79 damage, which is a bit more than double what the bat does but notably substantially less than just shooting them with your gun while requiring you to run up directly in their face.

it is bad

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cock hero flux posted:

scout doesn't want to try and club people to death with a bat because bats do poor damage and he's made of tissue paper so scout melees usually provide utility, which the stick must compete with and it doesn't really have any. the only other scout melee which does not provide real utility is the stock bat. the bat is already bad for killing people with because it does less damage than a normal melee, and the stick is even worse because it does even less damage. the only time it does more damage is when someone is on fire, which you have no way of actually causing. if they are on fire, you do 79 damage, which is a bit more than double what the bat does but notably substantially less than just shooting them with your gun while requiring you to run up directly in their face.

it is bad

One of the last big balance patches did add some utility in the form of a 25% fire resist, but only while you have it out. It's not nothing but compared to other scout melees it's not much, either.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i always use the wrap assassin as scout so I can fail to land a single ranged bleed every round

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

it is bad

I'll admit it's not like, the best melee ever, but I wouldn't really call it bad, imo it's situationally a solid choice. I generally see it more as a "help not die from fire" melee more than a "kill people on fire" melee, since yeah you're right it's usually better just to shoot someone. Its value comes from the other team's composition, similar to the candy cane - if there's a lot of pyros it's not bad to take the stick, if there's few explosive classes (lmao) then it's not bad to take the candy cane. If your team has great medics + engies that make for easy healing then yeah you probably don't want it even when against a lot of pyros. But also lol pub servers so that's not reliable, so it can be a good situational pick.

Of course, it's hard to beat the wrap assassin, but long-range bleed on a melee weapon is hard to beat with any melee imo.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
not really sure what minor fire resist is supposed to do for the scout

if the scout is somehow getting hit by the flamethrower he's probably gonna die regardless, and the pyro's other flame-causing weapons aren't a threat unless they hit multiple times (which shouldn't happen)

plus you have to actually have the weapon out to get the resist, which means you're not shooting things, which means you shouldn't be anywhere near a pyro

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Theoretically it helps if you get tagged with a stray scorch shot or what have you and you need a lil extra juice to make it to a proper medkit.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I'll admit it's not like, the best melee ever, but I wouldn't really call it bad, imo it's situationally a solid choice. I generally see it more as a "help not die from fire" melee more than a "kill people on fire" melee, since yeah you're right it's usually better just to shoot someone. Its value comes from the other team's composition, similar to the candy cane - if there's a lot of pyros it's not bad to take the stick, if there's few explosive classes (lmao) then it's not bad to take the candy cane. If your team has great medics + engies that make for easy healing then yeah you probably don't want it even when against a lot of pyros. But also lol pub servers so that's not reliable, so it can be a good situational pick.

generally speaking the best way to not die to a pyro is to shoot them with your gun, since 25% resistance isn't going to be nearly enough to matter if you're trying to beat them to death with your melee. if you didn't need to actually take the thing out in order to get the damage resistance it might be useful for this, but since you do you'd be better off on average just shooting them while running away, since making them die or back off is going to be a more effective way of mitigating their damage output. if you really need to dedicate your melee to not dying to pyros then the candy cane will let you clear the afterburn right after you kill them with your gun, which is what you should be doing anyway, though it does come with the caveat of getting completely owned by explosives. also like half of scout's secondaries are good against burn damage in some way while also being generically useful, and scout is pretty well-suited for dealing with pyros anyway given that you can resolve most unfavourable fights by just walking away from them while they impotently shake their fists at your rapidly retreating backside

i'd pretty conclusively say that the stick is totally useless and only challenged for its position as scout's worst melee by the shattered remnants of what was once the sandman

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

generally speaking the best way to not die to a pyro is to shoot them with your gun, since 25% resistance isn't going to be nearly enough to matter if you're trying to beat them to death with your melee. if you didn't need to actually take the thing out in order to get the damage resistance it might be useful for this, but since you do you'd be better off on average just shooting them while running away, since making them die or back off is going to be a more effective way of mitigating their damage output. if you really need to dedicate your melee to not dying to pyros then the candy cane will let you clear the afterburn right after you kill them with your gun, which is what you should be doing anyway, though it does come with the caveat of getting completely owned by explosives. also like half of scout's secondaries are good against burn damage in some way while also being generically useful, and scout is pretty well-suited for dealing with pyros anyway given that you can resolve most unfavourable fights by just walking away from them while they impotently shake their fists at your rapidly retreating backside

i'd pretty conclusively say that the stick is totally useless and only challenged for its position as scout's worst melee by the shattered remnants of what was once the sandman

Yeah these are all fair points, I think its only real utility is just "surviving afterburn after killing / fleeing a pyro" - but this can be a useful utility in some situations.

Personally I only call a weapon "bad" if the downsides outweigh the upsides. Sandman? The slow is almost always pointless, and losing 15 health puts you in one-shot range of a ton of stuff - I'd say it's bad. Stick? Losing the bauble from Wrap Assassin is a big blow, but if you're struggling to survive afterburn then it's probably worth taking. Yeah it's a niche situational use, but it is a use. I certainly wouldn't mind if it got buffed to be more generally useful.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPFCp-3Dx0
Sick taunt, wanna see it next update.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah these are all fair points, I think its only real utility is just "surviving afterburn after killing / fleeing a pyro" - but this can be a useful utility in some situations.

Personally I only call a weapon "bad" if the downsides outweigh the upsides. Sandman? The slow is almost always pointless, and losing 15 health puts you in one-shot range of a ton of stuff - I'd say it's bad. Stick? Losing the bauble from Wrap Assassin is a big blow, but if you're struggling to survive afterburn then it's probably worth taking. Yeah it's a niche situational use, but it is a use. I certainly wouldn't mind if it got buffed to be more generally useful.

"not using a better weapon" is a pretty significant downside.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think the babt face blaster is bad because I remember it's unerfed, hotbox breaking, incredibly overpowered original form.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbPFCp-3Dx0
Sick taunt, wanna see it next update.

Great, scout with a solo cup is perfect, as is snipers thermos

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

NVM Casual servers are bot infested again. Whelp time for me to play other games.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
A lot of normal cheaters out too. Yesterday I got put into a double cross server and there were some pretty blatant cheaters on the other team. A guy with voice chat on went vaccinator medic and me and another guy dominated the three obvious cheaters. The cheaters said they were reporting us for cheating and trying to get our team to kick us. Eventually 6 people on the other team all left at once with the same “removed from match by system,” which means they probably got frustrated they couldn’t stomp us and found another server instead.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

A lot of normal cheaters out too. Yesterday I got put into a double cross server and there were some pretty blatant cheaters on the other team. A guy with voice chat on went vaccinator medic and me and another guy dominated the three obvious cheaters. The cheaters said they were reporting us for cheating and trying to get our team to kick us. Eventually 6 people on the other team all left at once with the same “removed from match by system,” which means they probably got frustrated they couldn’t stomp us and found another server instead.

Man it must be great to live in the world where TF2 YouTubers can have decent games. Uncletopia doesn't have good ping where I live so I can't enjoy that.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Yeah, had 3 casual matches with bots in a row, and retreated to uncletopia :smith:

It's sad that they can't keep their servers clean, what with the influx of new players.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Even aside from bots, snipers are incredibly problematic now in the same way they were in Unreal Tournament. At this point, people are just WAY good at clicking heads, and there's really not a lot of Z-axis variation along sightlines (and that's discounting the fact that in a lot of maps, the sightlines are entirely too open) meaning a sniper doesn't have to move a whole lot on the vertical axis of the mouse, and can just really worry about horizontal.

It's super frustrating and honestly just unfun to be against 2-3 snipers every single round (on both sides, I'm sure), making large swaths of maps complete no-go zones.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

pokchu posted:

Even aside from bots, snipers are incredibly problematic now in the same way they were in Unreal Tournament. At this point, people are just WAY good at clicking heads, and there's really not a lot of Z-axis variation along sightlines (and that's discounting the fact that in a lot of maps, the sightlines are entirely too open) meaning a sniper doesn't have to move a whole lot on the vertical axis of the mouse, and can just really worry about horizontal.

It's super frustrating and honestly just unfun to be against 2-3 snipers every single round (on both sides, I'm sure), making large swaths of maps complete no-go zones.

No z-axis movement? One of the greatest joys as a sniper is headshotting a jumping Soldier/Demo trying to bomb you

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I do think it's an interesting observation that the FPS aiming skill level of players now is much higher than when the game released, which is almost certainly true. I think the general prevalence of matchmaking in modern-day FPS games can account partially for this - it's much easier to make small improvements to skill nowadays in FPS games since you'll usually be matched with similarly-skilled players and can thus focus on trying to improve in a suitable environment. TF2's lack of matchmaking also probably exacerbates the sniper issue, since a highly-skilled sniper won't be kept away from less-skilled players and can just dominate a server.

Ironically Uncletopia is maybe partially to blame for sniper hate. Since it's touted as one of the best environments to play the game in, I think many players flock to it before going to other servers / casual mode. More skilled players will be more likely to know about it (due to intentionally doing research online etc) and thus will also be attracted to it, so there tends to be a wide range of player skills. More skilled players do well and stick around, less skilled ones get frustrated and leave. In my experience, I notice there's usually a pretty big discrepancy between top scores and low scores on a team, and the bottom 2-3 players on each team tend to rotate in/out of the servers frequently. Sniper, being one of the classes that most rewards high aiming skill, dominates in an environment like this - Uncletopia's love of payload maps also probably compounds this.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
There are also plenty of maps that have become part of the standard rotation in the past ten years that are just bad, all class balance aside.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

payload's popularity really is the biggest factor, I think. Almost every payload map has gigantic open sightlines with minimal flanking routes, and the defending team will usually have sentry nests and such set up which allow for snipers to shoot from a position that is totally protected. In other modes, and on better designed maps, even very good snipers get constantly flanked and harassed in such a way that prevents them from just locking down a sightline, but if you're forced to approach them from the front from far away with their entire team in between it's easy for even a mediocre sniper to dominate. People talk about the melee range instakill, but snipers that can do that consistently are quite rare, especially if you're not approaching from the front. People are better at aiming, but they're not that much better.

I've said it before, but unless there's a good sniper on the other team countering me I can top score as a sniper on payload. I am not good, and I don't hit close range headshots reliably, but I don't have to. Even landing 20% of your shots in that situation is enough to bully the other team into submission. It's the ideal scenario. And headshots don't even really come into it: I've been doing it with the Sydney Sleeper lately just for a change of pace. Fights in TF2 are highly dependent on classes relative ranges, and Sniper's effective range is the longest. Nerfs to quickscoping or whatever people suggest don't really matter, the issue was only ever prevented by careful map design which seems to have fallen by the wayside a long time ago, especially in payload maps. If you design a map in such a way that a sniper gets to force you to engage him from the front at long range, they do not have to be good at sniping to beat you. The same thing applies to other classes, too, since a map like, say, cp_junction is totally dominated by engineers and heavies since it's all tight corridors and blind corners that force you to bumble into them at point-blank range, but maps like that are much rarer than the open shooting galleries that you often see these days.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
More payload maps need to follow the example set by the last stage of Thunder Mountain and not the example set by the middle stage of Thunder Mountain.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i've found rumford to be one of the best pub payload experiences and looking at it now that might be because it has multiple open flank routes and the cart track tends to bend around corners frequently which both negatively impact snipers

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Anyone know of any populated pubs that have sniper banned entirely?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

whiskas posted:

Also Spy.

besides that stuff, how do players improve their play? havent played for a long loving time and im still bad at the game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dizz posted:

Also Spy.

Eh, spy isn't that bad. They only really negatively impact the game when you have teammates who are playing without sound and can't help but lemming their way into a Kunai.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, spy isn't that bad. They only really negatively impact the game when you have teammates who are playing without sound and can't help but lemming their way into a Kunai.

x2
x2
x2
x2
x2
x2

c4

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

whiskas posted:

Dizz posted:

Also Spy.

besides that stuff, how do players improve their play? havent played for a long loving time and im still bad at the game.

While I've gone on the record saying I don't agree with most of the anti-sniper sentiment these days some guy on youtube actually did run a server for 3 days with sniper completely banned and got some data on the before and after:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXGwko225k

According to him it basically didn't effect the game much at all beyond making particular chokepoints a lot less dangerous. Now, I imagine that the result could be very different in a much more high skill environment but I thought it was funny nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i mean i just hate sniper and spy because they're annoying due to being so indirect with engagement and being rewarded for it.