Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kesper North posted:

Names are powerful. Names are at the heart of everything. Names are one of the most powerful tools humanity has invented!

But every tool is also a weapon, and what you're looking at is the weaponization of names.

Yes, that's right, referring to the Romulan state as an 'Empire', when actually it appears to be an autocratic republic with no single head of state is exactly the same as blood libel.

Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's like putting too much air into a crime against humanity!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lieutenant Commander War Crimes reporting for duty sir

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPColin posted:

It's like putting too much air into a crime against humanity!

And then something genocidal happens!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Angry Salami posted:

Yes, that's right, referring to the Romulan state as an 'Empire', when actually it appears to be an autocratic republic with no single head of state is exactly the same as blood libel.

Jesus loving Christ.

Huh? Read the post I quoted, maybe. I was responding to this comment about North Korea. Hell, it doesn't sound like you even read my post, from that comment. I didn't compare, or indeed mention, Star Trek.

AlternateNu posted:

Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Lieutenant, I need you to kill... one million people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=monTA6KAwp0

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Powered Descent posted:

Fun fact: for the French dub of the show, the character of Vash had to be renamed, because "vache" (pronounced similarly) means "cow".

Yeah, it wasn't misogynistic enough for the French.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Kesper North posted:

the original Nazi "blood libel" of the Jews

I hope you're not implying that the Nazis originated blood libel, because that skips over like a millennium of its history

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I hope you're not implying that the Nazis originated blood libel, because that skips over like a millennium of its history

Yeah, to get to the Nazi doctrine you have to trace it through Henry Ford and then Imperial Russia.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

There is something about this Commander I just don't like but I can't put my finger on it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just love the Ferengi in the Hawaiian shirt.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I like it later on when he turns up at the dig site looking like a game show host.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Soul Dentist posted:

No, I was trying to reference things people who aren't scholars of history would actually remember

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I watched the ENT episode "Daedalus" last night and I think it crystalized something for me: Archer is the most aristocratic Trek captain. It's partially being the most traditionally naval captain, but also how he's the closest thing Earth has to aristocracy.

His dad is famous, he grew up with the famous inventors of warp drive and transporters, he's groomed for a role of leadership, he keeps a ship's pet named after an aristocratic character, he makes a BIG deal about who eats at the captain's mess; and he throws a huge tantrum pretty much every time somebody questions his orders, stops him from doing what he wants, or pulls rank.

He's like half Elon Musk and half William Bligh.

Trip should have been captain, or at the very least Trinneer and Bakula should have traded roles.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yep, Archer is an obvious unqualified nepotism hire

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I like when he has an episode of self-reflection in S4 and has a “everything’s terrible, I’m terrible” breakdown. He’s a bit more chill after that - which I think might have been Coto course correcting his character.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Kai Wynn was supposed to be the final villain of the series; they had originally planned for the final season to be entirely about her finally getting her comeuppance. They decided to change it to her essentially being Dukat's lackey because they were genuinely disturbed by the fact that a lot of fans who were diehard conservatives unironically viewed him as a hero. They went out of their way to make him over the top in order to try to get those people to see him as a villain. Not sure if it worked.

Right wingers tend to never understand the point of anything they watch. Thus they have bizarre interpretations of things like Star Trek, where the point of the entire franchise is to promote liberal political positions. They even completely misunderstand The Boys, a show where the "heroes" are heroes in name only. They idolize Homelander, one of the most evil characters to ever exist. Watch any Trump rally and you'll notice guys walking around in Homelander costumes.

They're not bright.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They tend to identify with villains more because they want to be them. Which is why they look up to Trump, a guy that is the real-life basis for like 500 movie villains from the 1980s-1990s.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
It's the weirdest thing, when Discovery brought Trek back, those dickheads were - and probably still are - screaming about how it was "woke" because of the "forced diversity" in the cast and so on. I've honestly never had an intelligent response, just a load of swears. Complain about the quality of the show on technical or writing levels all you like (saw the first few episodes, peaced out quietly, no problems, if you like it, you like it, cool if you don't, cool), but start going after it like that, it kind of proves you're just making noise for the sake of it and either never really were a fan, or are going off vague/false nostalgic memories of MANLY MAN KIRK, HE SEXING GREEN LADIES AND SHOOT HE LASER, YAY GUN. gently caress 'em. There you go, swears.

Anyway, my two for the evening. And the first one, The Most Toys is one I've seen, I think. Apart from an unfortunately goofy looking makeup job on one character (Is she an alien? Is she supposed to be horribly disfigured? Why is her chin so goddamn sharp?), pretty great, Saul Rubinek initially bouncing about the place like a turbo charged Mudd-esque TOS comedy villain before the whole thing swiftly darkens and he becomes monstrous. It's fantastic Data-centric stuff, but we also get some good scenes of the crew believing he's dead. Also, there was a man with a giant nostril in the middle of his face and he picked it and it was the single most disgusting thing the show's done yet, even nastier than the head pop in Conspiracy.

Sarek was beautiful. There was the mildly funny stuff of the crew losing it (ha ha, Geordie gets called out for being a holodeck loser by Wes, who is GETTING SOME and then GETTING SLAPPED) before yet again, the episode truly darkens. Literally, they shut all the lights off and it's just Mark Lenard (lovely to see him once more) and Patrick Stewart screaming in near darkness. Seeing Sarek losing his temper had me near tears. Real powerful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sarek was extremely personal and raw for the writers because it was basically about the decline of Gene Roddenberry.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Oh lord, how didn't I spot that? The bad blood with the crew, the enablers, good grief. Just made the episode 100 times sadder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

It's the weirdest thing, when Discovery brought Trek back, those dickheads were - and probably still are - screaming about how it was "woke" because of the "forced diversity" in the cast and so on. I've honestly never had an intelligent response, just a load of swears. Complain about the quality of the show on technical or writing levels all you like (saw the first few episodes, peaced out quietly, no problems, if you like it, you like it, cool if you don't, cool), but start going after it like that, it kind of proves you're just making noise for the sake of it and either never really were a fan, or are going off vague/false nostalgic memories of MANLY MAN KIRK, HE SEXING GREEN LADIES AND SHOOT HE LASER, YAY GUN. gently caress 'em. There you go, swears.

I can assure you, these human pubes are still mad about it. The most recent run of Strange New Worlds episodes really set them off because they did awesome things like cross over with Lower Decks and do a whole loving musical and an old school TNG "longest summer of your life" cliffhanger season finale. They were also gravedancing on Prodigy getting yanked off of Paramount+ and they hate Lower Decks too. Basically the only thing these people liked was Picard Season 3, the industrial grade nostalgia slop that didn't challenge them mentally and reminded them of their childhoods 30+ years ago watching TNG, only in a new market commercially viable manner.

They are and always will be the absolute worst.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I feel like when I'm actually done with TNG, (Many moons from now, god, why are American shows so long), I'll give Strange New Worlds a try. I've been resistant of much of any new Trek, much less a goddamn Pike prequel, but I'm getting positive vibes off of everything I see about it.

(i did like picard S3)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

I feel like when I'm actually done with TNG, (MANY EONS FROM NOW, GOD WHY ARE AMERICAN SHOWS SO LONG), I'll give Strange New Worlds a try. I've been resistant of much of any new Trek, much less a goddamn Pike prequel but I'm getting positive vibes off of everything I see about it.

SNW, Lower Decks and Prodigy are all insanely good, yes. :filez: the poo poo out of Prodigy because gently caress Paramount, you'll be surprised by how Star Trek it feels by the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

...! posted:

Kai Wynn was supposed to be the final villain of the series; they had originally planned for the final season to be entirely about her finally getting her comeuppance. They decided to change it to her essentially being Dukat's lackey because they were genuinely disturbed by the fact that a lot of fans who were diehard conservatives unironically viewed him as a hero. They went out of their way to make him over the top in order to try to get those people to see him as a villain. Not sure if it worked.

Right wingers tend to never understand the point of anything they watch. Thus they have bizarre interpretations of things like Star Trek, where the point of the entire franchise is to promote liberal political positions. They even completely misunderstand The Boys, a show where the "heroes" are heroes in name only. They idolize Homelander, one of the most evil characters to ever exist. Watch any Trump rally and you'll notice guys walking around in Homelander costumes.

They're not bright.

From what I heard, the actual writers were going back and forth on Dukat for a while, and it's not until the cult that they were all in on him being the villain.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know what you're all talking about. Dukat was the main character. He graciously decided, through his own largesse and benevolence, not to appear in every episode. He did this knowing full well that he would never receive the recognition that he was duly deserved. He did this as it was the best way to serve Bajor Cardassia the Dominion his religious society the Kai the Pah Wraiths our collective interests.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Prodigy (which I liked) struck me more as a Star Wars in the Trek universe than anything else. Kinda a Voyager sequel but definitely sinister villains, scrappy young rogueish heroes, superweapons, exploring the seedy underbelly of crime planets, and even droids like a Star Wars cartoon.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HD DAD posted:

What an unfortunate name.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MuddyFunster posted:

(i did like picard S3)

why

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Because I didn't know any better. For real, my entire TNG knowledge consisted of the movies (terrible) and a few dotted episodes I was only barely paying attention to, if only to go "Hurr, not as good as Kirk and Spock" and that one insane Youtube edit where they all take LSD. I had both friends and family telling me "You like the TOS movies, try this!" And, y'know, for all the flaws (they cannot leave Wrath of Khan alone, can they?) I liked it well enough that I went "OKAY, THIS YEAR, TNG, I'LL TRY." It was adequate enough to whet my appetite for the real deal, so I'm grateful.

And now I'm trying and finding hell yes, as good as Kirk and Spock. In some ways, even better, TOS gave me a wobble here and there, it never made me burst into tears like that Lal episode. I am on a voyage of discovery!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

What an unfortunate name.

Hey, if someone named "Lieutenant Warcrimes" came aboard the Enterprise, La'an would be the first one lined up to armbar them into a wall and then frogmarch them directly to the brig if they ever tried to live up to their namesake.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

MuddyFunster posted:

(i did like picard S3)

This is how Wesley must have felt coming back to the Enterprise and everyone is playing some weird eyeball game...

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Now there are weird eyeball games on top of sexy (or rapey, depending on who you ask) ghosts, what have I let myself in for?

Next week; the thread cryptically reveals there's an episode where Picard gets injured trying to ride a skateboard and my anticipation further skyrockets.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MuddyFunster posted:

Now there are weird eyeball games on top of sexy (or rapey, depending on who you ask) ghosts, what have I let myself in for?

Next week; the thread cryptically reveals there's an episode where Picard gets injured trying to ride a skateboard and my anticipation further skyrockets.

No, you're thinking of the one where he has to kill himself to stop time from imploding

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will say that I rolled my eyes when they released the initial character info for SNW and they had a Noonien-Singh in the cast. Thankfully they have handled that well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that I rolled my eyes when they released the initial character info for SNW and they had a Noonien-Singh in the cast. Thankfully they have handled that well.

to my understanding snw was a lot of "oh poo poo that's just fan bait there's no way that's gonna work well" and then they've loving hit it out of the park on all of those (i've only seen the LD crossover episode)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like her character, but that bit makes no sense. You can change your name. She's deliberately chosen to go around being called Hitler and is upset about it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 15, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It would suck to have to change the name you were born with, through no fault of your own, just because a few people don’t like it. And I think it’s fair to say that one could be particularly attached to one’s family name, even if it were “Hitler” or “Buonaparte” or “Qualox of Deneb VI” or whatever, if one were the last survivor of one’s family while the rest of them got eaten from the inside out by a swarm of ravenous zerg larvae when one was a six year old.

Laan’s backstory is kind of over the top (though not unprecedentedly so—look at poor Kirk), but she’s probably my favorite character on this show. I think her seriousness is an important trait to balance the rest of the ensemble, and it helps with verisimilitude too. Some of these guys seem like they’re just out in space to have fun. Laan isn’t like that. She’s a character who wants things to work the right way because if they don’t, they can get very bad indeed. She strikes me as a much more believable spacewoman than some of her crewmates.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

La'ans family could have just dropped the Noonien part of their name. But then again they named her La'an, which doesn't sound a million miles away from Khan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Eighties ZomCom posted:

La'ans family could have just dropped the Noonien part of their name. But then again they named her La'an, which doesn't sound a million miles away from Khan

If La’an’s parents didn’t get Gorned, she’d be no-contact with them for posting right wing Kahn memes on Spacebook.