Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShoeFly posted:

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/

If you're only connecting the hub, the Mango should cover your needs IMO

Bleh, I hate you guys.

Just bought a Slate Plus (there’s a $15 coupon on amazon) for hotel WiFi. I do the Veo camera for my daughter’s soccer team, and the thing needs plugged into an Ethernet port to upload the videos to the cloud. Which means I usually have to wait til I get home at the end of the weekend to get them off the storage. It can only fit 3 games at a time on it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bleh, I hate you guys.

Just bought a Slate Plus (there’s a $15 coupon on amazon) for hotel WiFi. I do the Veo camera for my daughter’s soccer team, and the thing needs plugged into an Ethernet port to upload the videos to the cloud. Which means I usually have to wait til I get home at the end of the weekend to get them off the storage. It can only fit 3 games at a time on it.

Set up Tailscale and you can use it to VPN into your home network to access streaming services on a streaming box in your hotel. You can also use OpenVPN/Wireshark, but Tailscale is free and basically idiot proof.

On my last vacation I popped a Chromecast with Google TV into the hotel TV and was able to watch Hulu Live TV from home with no fucks given by Hulu, it thought it was sitting on my home network 900 miles away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Set up Tailscale and you can use it to VPN into your home network to access streaming services on a streaming box in your hotel. You can also use OpenVPN/Wireshark, but Tailscale is free and basically idiot proof.

On my last vacation I popped a Chromecast with Google TV into the hotel TV and was able to watch Hulu Live TV from home with no fucks given by Hulu, it thought it was sitting on my home network 900 miles away.

I’ve got a Plex server at home, so I usually just do that, but YouTube TV does hassle me when I’m so far away from home. I’ll check it out!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
OK is anyone here particularly experienced with card-mod and applying CSS to cards? I am completely stumped why I can't left-align the text on this entity card:

My font-size style on line 17 is working just fine and I can't figure out why the text-align on line 18 isn't getting applied.

This may be more of a generic CSS question, but wasn't sure if card-mod had some limitations I wasn't aware of. It's probably something really obvious that I'm missing because I've been fiddling with this for hours now.

e: nevermind I just used a single entity card and I can work with that. I am working on my first dashboard and want to show it off when it's complete!

TheDK fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 15, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was never able to get Tailscale to connect via the GliNet router sadly. Lot of issues with it on their boards as well. Tried 2 diff models and hours of loving with settings and updates with no luck. Good hardware otherwise though

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've got a new place that appears to have a legacy security system and a second newer "smart" security system, "CPI" is the regional brand. Can I rip out the old stuff and repurpose the smart stuff and DIY it?

Just need a general idea of what I'm getting myself into.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Anyone got any recomendations for commercial quality security cameras that arent rebranded fucken Dahuas.

We're having endless problems at work with the .dav files which appear to be mangled mpeg files with an undocumented format that ffmpeg can only transcode half the time making video ingest an absolute nightmare (It seems to vary from model to model of dahua, some ingest just fine, others have all sorts of random nonsense in frame headers that cause ffmpeg's dhav container transcoder to poo poo the bed.

Plus with some upcoming govt projects coming up, we're leary of the paranoia going on in govt circle about dahua and hikvision (rebranded dahuas) cameras.

Axis are probably out of the pricerange and apparently they've had supply chain issues, so reolink and samsung seem like possibilities, though one of our requirements is that some of the cameras need those little windscreen wiper things as these cameras are destined for remote outback cattlefarms.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I’m planning on just using HomeKit to control my colors and don’t care about the “native” apps, does it matter if I go with IKEA’s vs Hue’s lightbulbs (and hub)? Ikeas bulbs are like more than 1/2 the cost of a Hue bulb.

I’d prolly want to use a motion sensor or two in some places too, and of course physical light switches.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I’m planning on just using HomeKit to control my colors and don’t care about the “native” apps, does it matter if I go with IKEA’s vs Hue’s lightbulbs (and hub)? Ikeas bulbs are like more than 1/2 the cost of a Hue bulb.

I’d prolly want to use a motion sensor or two in some places too, and of course physical light switches.

If you're using HomeKit, I'd recommend Nanoleaf's basics bulbs, which can change colour to whatever, work very well with HomeKit, and are very cheap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looking into it now. What is “matter” and “thread”?

E: if I’m understanding this right, I can just buy a HomePod mini ($99) or Apple TV ($150), and that would act as my iot hub and I wouldn’t need to buy one of those Wi-Fi extender routers? I could just connect either of those 2 devices to the existing Wi-Fi and connect lightbulbs directly to said devices? I was already planning on getting an Apple TV but was waiting for the next apple event to see if anything new was announced.

I remember someone suggested a HomePod mini but my info was completely out of date. The last time I had a smart lightbulb system the HomePod mini/apple tv was only used to do automations, like “at 5pm and when I’m physically close do this and that” not act as full on hubs that devices connect directly to.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 15, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: if I’m understanding this right, I can just buy a HomePod mini ($99) or Apple TV ($150), and that would act as my iot hub and I wouldn’t need to buy one of those Wi-Fi extender routers? I could just connect either of those 2 devices to the existing Wi-Fi and connect lightbulbs directly to said devices? I was already planning on getting an Apple TV but was waiting for the next apple event to see if anything new was announced.

I remember someone suggested a HomePod mini but my info was completely out of date. The last time I had a smart lightbulb system the HomePod mini/apple tv was only used to do automations, like “at 5pm and when I’m physically close do this and that” not act as full on hubs that devices connect directly to.

Hello I've just been through the same spiritual and/or consumer journey as you.

Basically the HomePods and AppleTV both act as home hubs. That means if you have one on your wifi network, it'll do it s best to keep all your HomeKit stuff running, synced up and up to date with firmware, and allow you to run automations. It'll also allow you to monitor and control your smart home stuff when you and your iPhone are not currently on your network, via the internet. Whatever you choose as your hub, it'll still need to be within range of your WiFi router.

The HomePod mini, HomePod 2 and the newer Apple TVs all also work as Thread border routers, which mean that any devices which are thread compatible can use them to hook into your network if wifi range gets a bit sketchy. So in theory you can have a smart bulb on a side of your house with poor wifi coverage but within earshot of your HomePod mini.

For the most part, you should still think of these devices as operating within your normal home wifi network, even if you have a Hub, which will still be connecting to your WiFi and communicating with everything through that. Thread is just kind of a mesh network for your smart home stuff that sits on top of all that, and makes everything a bit more stable and extends the range a bit(someone else in here feel free to correct me if that's not right).

Those apple hubs I listed are all also Matter compatible, which is basically just the industry's attempt at an open standard for smart home devices, where anything with matter on the box will work with any of the major company's ecosystem. It isn't really ready or meaningful yet and may still collapse into company warfare.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

The thread/matter stuff is still really inconsistent and I probably wouldn’t invest in it yet as your only solution.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

That Works posted:

I was never able to get Tailscale to connect via the GliNet router sadly. Lot of issues with it on their boards as well. Tried 2 diff models and hours of loving with settings and updates with no luck. Good hardware otherwise though

Huh, I had zero issues.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The thread/matter stuff is still really inconsistent and I probably wouldn’t invest in it yet as your only solution.

Seconding this. I had a lot of trouble even with the "brand name" Nanoleaf bulbs. I wouldn't rely on it until a few more releases stabilize things a bit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Three Olives posted:

Huh, I had zero issues.

Yeah we discussed it itt. Using your posts I recreated the same setup best i could and it never worked for the slate or beryl models.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Chasiubao posted:

Seconding this. I had a lot of trouble even with the "brand name" Nanoleaf bulbs. I wouldn't rely on it until a few more releases stabilize things a bit.

I mean… what hub do you connect the nanoleaf bulbs to if you skip over the matter/thread compatibility thing?

As far as I understand it, Thread replaces Zigbee? I understand what Zigbee is cause that’s what Hue lightbulbs use to talk to each other. And IKEA’s lightbulbs too, I think.

Not sure what precisely “Matter” is though. Sounds kinda like seeing a “Matter” logo is more or less like seeing a “HomeKit” logo, to let me know it works in the ecosystem?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean… what hub do you connect the nanoleaf bulbs to if you skip over the matter/thread compatibility thing?

As far as I understand it, Thread replaces Zigbee? I understand what Zigbee is cause that’s what Hue lightbulbs use to talk to each other. And IKEA’s lightbulbs too, I think.

Not sure what precisely “Matter” is though. Sounds kinda like seeing a “Matter” logo is more or less like seeing a “HomeKit” logo, to let me know it works in the ecosystem?

Matter is an open standard for interoperability between smart home gadgets. The idea is that if you see a Matter logo on a smart bulb or whatever, it will work just as well for google smart homes as it will Apple or Alexa. It's an attempt to fix the current issue where Apple, Google, Alexa and whoever else all have their own proprietary smartphone platforms that do not work with each other.

Thread isn't a replacement for Zigbee. It's a new technology that lets smart home gadgets chain together and make your smart home network more stable and with increased range.

If you're all in on HomeKit, just buy an AppleTV or HomePod. Don't worry too much about thread or matter or whatever. Those technologies are still in flux and things aren't at a stage where you could ever future proof because nobody knows what the industry will settle on yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

Thread isn't a replacement for Zigbee. It's a new technology that lets smart home gadgets chain together and make your smart home network more stable and with increased range.

That sounds exactly like what Zigbee is, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, that's about right. Thread is essentially a 5GHz alternative to Zigbee (although I think it can also do 2.4GHz) that provides the actual mesh connectivity between IoT devices. Matter is the overall standard that will (in theory at some point) provide a full standardised framework to allow all supported devices to talk to each other.

I believe the idea is that if all your devices support Matter then you shouldn't need a specific bridge (e.g. the Hue bridge) since everything should be using the same standardised commands and API calls and hubs/bridge should be effectively interchangeable. As others have said it's an absolute crapshoot at the moment since on top of Matter you've also got HomeKit/Google Home/etc that still have to translate the Matter stuff into something that the control systems understand too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, that's about right. Thread is essentially a 5GHz alternative to Zigbee (although I think it can also do 2.4GHz) that provides the actual mesh connectivity between IoT devices.

So it's ZWave on 5 Ghz? How novel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

If you're all in on HomeKit, just buy an AppleTV or HomePod. Don't worry too much about thread or matter or whatever. Those technologies are still in flux and things aren't at a stage where you could ever future proof because nobody knows what the industry will settle on yet.

Alright so to summarize it up, here are what I think my choices are?

I’m going to buy an Apple TV, no matter what. All I’m waiting for is for Apple’s fall event to happen to see if they refresh or update the Apple TVs. I see on Apple’s website that Apple TVs (the $150 version, anyway) have “Thread networking support.”

Option 1: I buy a Hue starter kit for $200 which gets me a hub and 4 lightbulbs, and I’d to buy a $50-$100 Wi-Fi to Ethernet router so that I can plug the Hue hub into, and then I’m paying $45 per lightbulb.

Option 2: I buy Nanoleaf lightbulbs for $17 per lightbulb ($50 for 3). They connect directly to the Apple TV. I don’t need to buy a Wi-Fi to Ethernet thing.

E: Reddit is full of complaints on the nano leaf bulbs. I guess you get what you pay for.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 16, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Option 2: I buy Nanoleaf lightbulbs for $17 per lightbulb ($50 for 3). They connect directly to the Apple TV. I don’t need to buy a Wi-Fi to Ethernet thing.

E: Reddit is full of complaints on the nano leaf bulbs. I guess you get what you pay for.

Which is exactly what we said upthread for fully matter controlled devices.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Which is exactly what we said upthread for fully matter controlled devices.

Upthread was saying matter is poo poo, yes.

My post was saying Reddit is complaining that nanoleaf lightbulbs were poo poo.

If nanoleaf is poo poo because of matter specifically than this is not something I knew.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 16, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

So it's ZWave on 5 Ghz? How novel.

Eh. It’s somewhat less dependent on a central controller, uses IP as its native protocol, and is encrypted properly by default. (Also the whole open standard based part, which Zwave isn’t great about.)

In theory it has real advantages over ZWave… if it ever gets stable and supported. TBD on that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

That sounds exactly like what Zigbee is, though.

Oh lol. I thought Zigbee was some closed protocol in the vein of HomeKit/Google Home/Amazon. My bad.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://reolink.com/blog/matter-vs-zigbee/

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That’s a weird comparison - they should be comparing Thread to Zigbee, not Matter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As far as I understand it, Matter is not a communication technology, it's an application messaging protocol that functions at a higher level, running over various communication technologies like HTTP runs over ethernet, wifi, 5G, etc. So there is no such thing as a "matter radio", but if your two devices are Matter-compliant and also both have Thread (or wifi, or zigbee, or whatever) you can be confident they can connect to each other.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kalman posted:

That’s a weird comparison - they should be comparing Thread to Zigbee, not Matter.

Yeah they went through great pains to explain the OSI model and where each sits without coming to the conclusion that what they were trying to compare therefore made no sense.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
would love to get my four minisplits on IOT without spending $400

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

John Romero posted:

Do they have remote controls? You can get IoT IR blasters like this

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

John Romero posted:

I did this sort of thing and it works great, I have it on 4 units for the last few years. https://github.com/geoffdavis/esphome-mitsubishiheatpump

Maybe $10 / unit? You also get the data from the unit ( temp/ current running status).

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

John Romero posted:

https://www.tindie.com/products/smartlightme/wifi-dongle-for-air-conditioners-midea-electrolux/
Worked flawlessly for my Mr. Cool but I needed to do some cutting because they had a weird usb port on the mini split.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm just starting to dip my toes into home automation. I've got HomeAssistant running on the family server, and two Zigbee devices -- a button serving as a doorbell and a door sensor for the chicken coop -- which are working fine. At some point I want to experiment with stuff like QR scanning and automating lights and fans and stuff but that's further down the line; the immediate goal is just to replace and improve on the busted doorbell that came with the house.

At the moment, the biggest problem I have is that the doorbell isn't really audible outside the ground floor. The good speakers are hooked up to a non-smart amp, so I have no way of hijacking them to play the sound, and instead it plays through a dinky little orb speaker hooked up to the server with a 3.5mm jack. So I'm looking for a small speaker I can put upstairs in the office too, so it'll ring in both places.

Stuff like the Google Nest Mini or Amazon Echo Dot are appealing and cheap, but they either can't talk to HA at all or talk only through a cloud service, and I want something that'll operate in local push mode.

Given that, I've found four main options:
- get an inexpensive powered 3.5mm speaker, possibly from Goodwill or something, hook it up to an rpi, and gently caress around with it until HA recognizes it as an audio sink. This is almost certainly the cheapest option, but also the messiest.
- get an HDMI-in speaker (these mostly appear to be marketed as "sound bars" for some reason) and plug a chromecast into it; I've got a first-gen one in a drawer somewhere that probably still works.
- get a dedicated wireless smarthome speaker and connect that to HA. These mostly seem to be marketed towards people building expensive whole-home music playback setups and cost hundreds of dollars at the low end.
- get or build an IR blaster that HA can control, use that to hijack the speakers on the ground floor. I don't think this is actually a good idea but it appeals to my sense of the absurd.

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone knows of an option I've overlooked, something in the Nest Mini/Echo Dot price range that works with local push; I don't need it to be capable of hi-fidelity music playback, I just need it to be able to make informative beeping noises at me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

So I'm just starting to dip my toes into home automation. I've got HomeAssistant running on the family server, and two Zigbee devices -- a button serving as a doorbell and a door sensor for the chicken coop -- which are working fine. At some point I want to experiment with stuff like QR scanning and automating lights and fans and stuff but that's further down the line; the immediate goal is just to replace and improve on the busted doorbell that came with the house.

At the moment, the biggest problem I have is that the doorbell isn't really audible outside the ground floor. The good speakers are hooked up to a non-smart amp, so I have no way of hijacking them to play the sound, and instead it plays through a dinky little orb speaker hooked up to the server with a 3.5mm jack. So I'm looking for a small speaker I can put upstairs in the office too, so it'll ring in both places.

Stuff like the Google Nest Mini or Amazon Echo Dot are appealing and cheap, but they either can't talk to HA at all or talk only through a cloud service, and I want something that'll operate in local push mode.

Given that, I've found four main options:
- get an inexpensive powered 3.5mm speaker, possibly from Goodwill or something, hook it up to an rpi, and gently caress around with it until HA recognizes it as an audio sink. This is almost certainly the cheapest option, but also the messiest.
- get an HDMI-in speaker (these mostly appear to be marketed as "sound bars" for some reason) and plug a chromecast into it; I've got a first-gen one in a drawer somewhere that probably still works.
- get a dedicated wireless smarthome speaker and connect that to HA. These mostly seem to be marketed towards people building expensive whole-home music playback setups and cost hundreds of dollars at the low end.
- get or build an IR blaster that HA can control, use that to hijack the speakers on the ground floor. I don't think this is actually a good idea but it appeals to my sense of the absurd.

I'm posting here in the hopes that someone knows of an option I've overlooked, something in the Nest Mini/Echo Dot price range that works with local push; I don't need it to be capable of hi-fidelity music playback, I just need it to be able to make informative beeping noises at me.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have HA notify your phone/smart watch & etc when the bell rings?

If there’s specific parts of the house you don’t use the bell you could also have light bulbs or light strips flash in those rooms when the bell rings (and each one set to only go off at specific times).

My brain also went to some kind of zigbee/zwave device that plays a pre-defined sound on a HA trigger, but with some quick googling I couldn’t find one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have HA notify your phone/smart watch & etc when the bell rings?
It already does that, but notifications can be significantly delayed if the phone has gone to sleep, which is fine for a lot of things but not for "there is someone at the door right now".

quote:

If there’s specific parts of the house you don’t use the bell you could also have light bulbs or light strips flash in those rooms when the bell rings (and each one set to only go off at specific times).

My brain also went to some kind of zigbee/zwave device that plays a pre-defined sound on a HA trigger, but with some quick googling I couldn’t find one.
We don't have smartlights (yet). I could build one (I've got an ESP and a few ARM boards and some very bright RGBLEDs) but building my own speaker is probably easier, if I'm going that route. Similarly, I could build my own zigbee- or wifi-actuated device that plays a canned sound, but if I'm doing that I might as well make it a general purpose audio sink.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

It already does that, but notifications can be significantly delayed if the phone has gone to sleep, which is fine for a lot of things but not for "there is someone at the door right now".

This was not an issue until my last (android) phone upgrade. No matter what combination of permissions I give the HA app it's happening and it's real bad. I need to look into that again.

Before notifications via the app were a thing I used pushbullet and before that I had it sending SMS.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For an update on this, I got it to play doorbell noises through the main speakers:
- pipewire on the HTPC configured to turn off "pause on idle" and turn on 1 bit of dither to keep the amp from going to sleep
- MPD on the HTPC configured to allow HA to control it and with the curl input enabled
- HA configured with that MPD instance as an audio sink
- doorbell SFX added to the HA media library
- "play media on mpd.htpc: doorbell.wav" added to the doorbell automation

Works fine and is now actually audible from other rooms in the house.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I haven't actually looked into this, but can you tie one ZigBee device (a doorbell/button) to another ZigBee device (siren/some sort of sound maker) so that it doesn't require an intermediate hub all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hogofwar posted:

I haven't actually looked into this, but can you tie one ZigBee device (a doorbell/button) to another ZigBee device (siren/some sort of sound maker) so that it doesn't require an intermediate hub all the time?

From my understanding, neither of those things should be able to send commands.

Essentially, button press is registered (limit of doorbell/button data sent out would be [PRESS YES/NO], hub interprets signal and sends [PLAY SOUND] command to speaker.

If the button sent the raw data of [YES/NO] to the speaker, the speaker wouldn’t understand what the hell yes or no means.

In a closed system, the manufacturer can make the speaker able to interpret the button press, but when you’re dealing with 2 pieces not explicitly designed to speak to each other, you need a middleman to translate.