Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm still convinced Linus wanted GN's slice of the market and Steve turned down a buyout, so Linus decided to try to compete and push GN out, but since Linus is just a clown, he has no idea how to actually do it. I have no evidence of this happening, but it's my personal conspiracy theory.

I've been assuming something like this too. Especially since Linus' vision for the lab is the most unfocused thing in the world, what with his constant stance of like "what will it review?" "everything of course". Don't try to build any kind of working knowledge or internal practices, just yolo the whole thing and try to muscle everybody else out with sheer presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It could be intentional, but Hanlon's Razor also decently explains pretty much everything on Linus' end. A guy whose "tech Jackass/Red Green"-content took off saw other people doing more serious stuff, he has the cash to try to get in on it himself and the toys to do so seem cool, so he chases that because it's another thing to chase. He makes that move even though any one of his existing hustles - the merch with ever more complex custom products, the growing MCN, the conventions/LANs, the production services, the streaming service, etc. - is large enough that he should have proper, industry seasoned general managers or COOs for each one, plus the separate CEO running the show, let alone adding labs (let alone his whole Badminton-building side hustle.) He needs a "Luke" for each for these, and he clearly doesn't have that, and that's incompetence on his part as the owner with no one but outside folks like GN Steve to reality check him. Linus also openly notes on WAN that he doesn't chase the various and many IT tax breaks and production credits in BC and Canada even though he's long shot past where hiring a person for that would pay for itself because that's hard work and boring to secure.

All in all, malice would be better organized than Linus. It's no excuse, but it's clear he's in so far over his head, and there's no sign he's going to "dig up" yet.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 15, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bullshit

The poo poo LTT pulled with the water block was absolutely trash tier. They took that company's only working prototype, tested it incorrectly, gave it a bad review, and then sold it at auction when the company specifically said they wanted it back.

Oh, and Linus is only now getting around to trying to make it right after someone with a big enough platform pointed it out. He's also complaining about it being aired publicly even though he made absolutely zero attempt to to settle with the company before this point.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ultraklystron posted:

All in all, malice would be better organized than Linus. It's no excuse, but it's clear he's in so far over his head, and there's no sign he's going to "dig up" yet.

He'll never "dig up". That would require admitting that he's wrong, and he's got too much ego to do that and too much money for anyone to make him.

Linus is a prototypical small business owner; he has no emotional distance from the company, no ability to meaningfully delegate, and a complete unwillingess to be wrong. Between the inertia and resources of the channel size, and being more entertainment focused than the serious reviewers but crunchier than the Austin Evanses or MKBHDs, he's strongly unlikely to be disgorged as the big fish in techtube. And if he won't sell the company then no matter what the org chart says he calls all the shots, a CEO that he disagrees with just gets fired. Until he gets so far up his own rear end everyone quits or he does something that causes him to become persona-non-grata in the industry he gets to be a petty tyrant putting out whiny non-apologies forever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Linus may be richer and have a nicer house than me but I can take solace that it is in Surrey (lower mainland folks will get this)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My favorite part of the video is where at ~3:30, Steve points out that when you try to go from a "just entertainment" channel to a data driven 'real' tech channel, you need to actually do poo poo properly.

Linus has made millions being a clown, and has cornered the tech clown market. Why the gently caress does he want to be a serious tech analysis place? Nobody goes to his videos for that. He really is just a little Elon.

I like clown Linus. I still only really watch the videos where they're doing stupid poo poo with expensive tech. Linus can't even decide if AIOs are better than air cooling.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He'll never "dig up". That would require admitting that he's wrong, and he's got too much ego to do that and too much money for anyone to make him.

Linus is a prototypical small business owner; he has no emotional distance from the company, no ability to meaningfully delegate, and a complete unwillingess to be wrong. Between the inertia and resources of the channel size, and being more entertainment focused than the serious reviewers but crunchier than the Austin Evanses or MKBHDs, he's strongly unlikely to be disgorged as the big fish in techtube. And if he won't sell the company then no matter what the org chart says he calls all the shots, a CEO that he disagrees with just gets fired. Until he gets so far up his own rear end everyone quits or he does something that causes him to become persona-non-grata in the industry he gets to be a petty tyrant putting out whiny non-apologies forever.

Oh for sure. I feel like it's really beginning to mirror the Penny Arcade business arc, so I'd expect the CEO to bail after one foot in mouth too many from Linus and/or an offer to good to refuse, while a bunch of the other concerns under LMG eventually get sold off to other companies a la PA selling PAX to Reed Exhibitions. Very clear regardless of motive, this is on the same path IMHO.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

I like clown Linus. I still only really watch the videos where they're doing stupid poo poo with expensive tech. Linus can't even decide if AIOs are better than air cooling.

Well Air Cooling is clearly the best as you can see from this chart of the NH-D15

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

Nah. I can easily believe him at his word when he said that he wants to re-create the stuff that inspired him way back when, whether PC magazines or the peak of web reviews like anand, Toms, etc.

But yes, I don't think he has the seriousness or attention to detail required to manage the project himself. Nor does he have the self-discipline to find the type of person who could do it and hand the reins over.

The serious review work that Linus wants Labs to do seems directly opposed to the TechQuickie "it's just an unboxing" / "we're an entertainment company" / "i'm just a smol bean" philosophy of "we have a loving deadline, get the video out the door".

Like.. the labs guy saying their work will be better than GN because they'll be generating fresh data for every review... I believe he believes that, I also believe when you come at the king you best not miss.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I've been seriously out of the loop in regards to anything tech for years, but the algorithm still shows me GN videos from time to time. I've always respected Steve's dedication to objectivity and methodological integrity, so I'll still watch one every once in a while, even if I sometimes end up falling asleep a few minutes into the part where he busts out the graphs. This new video has me at the edge of my seat. Steve does NOT take stuff like this lightly.

I find it interesting that Linus' main complaint about GN doing that video is that they didn't reach out to him before going public with it. He's completely oblivious to being guilty of doing the exact same thing to Billet Labs. Only, those guys were a small start-up, not this huge YT presence with millions per year in revenue and brand deals for free gear and stuff. I also find it super problematic that his POV that 'no one should buy this' stinks to high hell of just staking a position that neatly absolves LTT of any responsibility to represent the block in the actual use case it was designed for, while at the same time allowing him to maintain the same position of the video itself. Like Steve points out, if a 20 degree difference doesn't change the conclusion, there's a problem! If you're going to pick a position of 'no one should buy this under any circumstances', regardless of how well it does/doesn't perform, maybe don't do a video at all?

It's quite the self-report to frame it in terms of the cost to the company in time/money to go back and do the video correctly, completely ignoring the damage it does to the LTT brand itself. It's telling that he just ignores the possibility of reputational damage in favor of saving a few bucks, despite the channel's entire existence being predicated on that reputation in the first place. I mean, most of his fans are idiots, so he's probably right in that it probably won't end up causing a noticeable dip in impressions or w/e, but that he's cool with that sort of transaction in the first place speaks volumes to his lack of character regardless.

Ultraklystron posted:

Hanlon's Razor

I disagree with you on that. Linus basically tried that to defend the myriad of methodological fuckups Steve pointed out as basically, 'we're still new at this, it's ~growing pains~'. The thing is, if you're producing a video that you know for a fact is built on flawed data, and you decide to publish it anyway, that goes beyond simple stupidity. I could entertain it if every single case was something where they'd only realized there was a mistake after somebody pointed it out or w/e, especially if they'd done the needful and taken said content down and issued a correction in its place or something, but that apparently wasn't always the case. Stupidity would be admitting that you forgot to take the tape off of the mouse, malice is blaming the manufacturer for not making the instructions to remove that tape clear enough. Ditto for the Billet Labs thing. Misrepresenting the product and then having the balls to double down on that misrepresentation while tacitly admitting that performance is apparently irrelevant is pure loving malice to me.

Phone posted:

to be fair, hard R linus was extremely funny earlier this year

I hadn't seen that, so I looked it up and laughed my rear end off. Luke should probably/definitely push back harder than he does against some of Linus' dumber meltdowns, but his handling of that situation in particular was masterful. Also, I took the funny part completely out of context just for laughs:
https://i.imgur.com/5IKXigL.mp4

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 15, 2023

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
whoever bought the prototype should send it to steve for testing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You mean after they're done analyzing it to steal Billet's IP, right?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mooktastical posted:

I disagree with you on that. Linus basically tried that to defend the myriad of methodological fuckups Steve pointed out as basically, 'we're still new at this, it's ~growing pains~'. The thing is, if you're producing a video that you know for a fact is built on flawed data, and you decide to publish it anyway, that goes beyond simple stupidity. I could entertain it if every single case was something where they'd only realized there was a mistake after somebody pointed it out or w/e, especially if they'd done the needful and taken said content down and issued a correction in its place or something, but that apparently wasn't their SOP. Stupidity would be admitting that you forgot to take the tape off of the mouse, malice is blaming the manufacturer for not making the instructions to remove that tape clear enough. Ditto for the Billet Labs thing. Misrepresenting the product and then having the balls to double down on that misrepresentation while tacitly admitting that performance is apparently irrelevant is pure loving malice to me.

Yeah, that's a very fair counterpoint. It's one thing for them to suck occasionally, but to defend an on-going pattern with no admission of fault or introspection crosses into a particularly narcissistic kind of malice.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus and his fans have all latched on to the "poor journalistic practices - GN didn't even reach out" defense.

Just ignore the fact that the LTT channel alone has 15m subscribers vs GN's 2m. And that's just the biggest of LMG's channels. He is not being accused without a voice. He has a voice and he has already posted a statement to say that he won't use it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

Linus basically tried that to defend the myriad of methodological fuckups Steve pointed out as basically, 'we're still new at this, it's ~growing pains~'.

Also keep in mind that Linus announced the Labs thing back in early 2022. They've had a year and a half to establish testing guidelines and standards, and seemingly they just haven't. He's got an entire division of people, some allegedly poached from inside the industry, giving him test data that someone could do sitting in their den. Daniel Owen, for whatever you may think of him, is literally doing exactly that and his results seem to have a higher standard than what LTT is using.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

Its generally considered good journalistic practice to give right of reply though

this is mostly because typically the journalist had a much broader reach than the person being criticized, which doesn’t really hold here

(“both sides” bullshit is all too often considered good journalism, though)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Also keep in mind that Linus announced the Labs thing back in early 2022. They've had a year and a half to establish testing guidelines and standards, and seemingly they just haven't. He's got an entire division of people, some allegedly poached from inside the industry, giving him test data that someone could do sitting in their den. Daniel Owen, for whatever you may think of him, is literally doing exactly that and his results seem to have a higher standard than what LTT is using.

If he's not willing to spend $500 to test a thing as it was intended to be used, he's not willing to take the effort to set up a rigorous testing environment. I'm sure the people he hired just want to do good work, but a. we can't be sure he'd even let them and b. we can be sure he doesn't care, the video isn't going to wait.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yeah, but their heat pumps are late, so that makes it all better, right?

Subjunctive posted:

this is mostly because typically the journalist had a much broader reach than the person being criticized, which doesn’t really hold here

(“both sides” bullshit is all too often considered good journalism, though)

You know where it does hold? Billet Labs. I feel like Linus should have to respond to the inherent hypocrisy in expecting GN to give LTT right to reply when they didn't do the same for a much, much smaller outfit, especially given that they doubled down on such an indefensible position

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 15, 2023

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

So the hits keep on coming. Apart from Louis Rossman and Jay publicly supporting Steve on his video, LTT just released a new review 3 hours ago of a Fifine microphone, and literally the top response is from EposVox.

EposVox posted:

This is not an appropriate way to utilize Frequency Response graphs for an evaluation of mic performance. :/

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tornhelm posted:

So the hits keep on coming. Apart from Louis Rossman and Jay publicly supporting Steve on his video, LTT just released a new review 3 hours ago of a Fifine microphone, and literally the top response is from EposVox.

There's a bunch of other high rated comments saying the same stuff, a few specifically citing industry standard documentation.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

njsykora posted:

Its generally considered good journalistic practice to give right of reply

sure, but it's for practical reasons not ethical reasons. if your "target" is going to clap back it's good to know what they're gonna say so you can address it up front rather than have to do a bunch of back and forth in the press. there's no responsibility to seek comment before you report facts

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

And even if you approach it from an ethical angle, this is not a case where there can be a real, meaningful justification. It wasn't self defense. They published multiple errors, slowly fixed some of them in ways that maximizes profit over transparency/accuracy.

Linus has released his response: trust me, bro. growing pains. oops we forgot we promised to return the cooler and sold it, but we will pay them whatever they ask to shut them up, but also that lovely cooler was overpriced so gently caress that company

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

There's also the fact that its not really necessary when they've already made public statements regarding the situation.

Pretty much the only thing he reported on that wasn't from a public statement on was their theft and auctioning off of the engineering sample, to which Linus' response is pretty much just "We've promised to buy them off, but haven't actually sent them any money".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

And even if you approach it from an ethical angle, this is not a case where there can be a real, meaningful justification. It wasn't self defense. They published multiple errors, slowly fixed some of them in ways that maximizes profit over transparency/accuracy.

Linus has released his response: trust me, bro. growing pains. oops we forgot we promised to return the cooler and sold it, but we will pay them whatever they ask to shut them up, but also that lovely cooler was overpriced so gently caress that company

Linus found it important to point out that :actually: they auctioned it not sold it (which the video didn’t imply)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rinkles posted:

Linus found it important to point out that :actually: they auctioned it not sold it (which the video didn’t imply)

Yeah. They stole it FOR CHARITY.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Wedge Regret
* tax write-off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah. They stole it FOR CHARITY.

a modern day robin hood, if you will

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Linus and his fans have all latched on to the "poor journalistic practices - GN didn't even reach out" defense.

One of the GN Discord moderators was spouting out this defense of Linus while also being Extremely Not Mad about it by the time I left the server lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having watched the video, one of the bits that stood out to me was this segment where LTT was reviewing the Ryzen 7950X, and from the clip that was cut out, it looked like they were trying to match AMD's own findings, and then regretting that they couldn't because then it meant that they'd have to give it a negative evaluation when compared to all other reviewers. It was completely bizarre, because that's utter nonsense when you're trying to review a thing.

At best, you can use "everyone else likes/dislikes this, but I don't" as a sort of sanity check on your findings, and try to make a counter-argument as to why you came to the conclusion you did, that no one else does, but that doesn't mean you outright say that you were apprehensive about the review just because you're going against the grain, and then try to find a way to make yourself conform.

and like, not to endorse or defend JayzTwoCents, but his channel was in a similar position with the RTX 4060Ti review, where they were positive on it when everyone else wasn't, and he took down the review entirely.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I wish I could remember which LTT video it was I saw recently, but it must have had four or five asterisked corrections in the video itself and a bunch more mistakes listed in the video description below. Like, at that point what are you even publishing? You may as well skip the testing and just make up any fake review and get it out the door in twenty minutes if that's the direction your channel is headed.

gradenko_2000 posted:

At best, you can use "everyone else likes/dislikes this, but I don't" as a sort of sanity check on your findings, and try to make a counter-argument as to why you came to the conclusion you did, that no one else does, but that doesn't mean you outright say that you were apprehensive about the review just because you're going against the grain, and then try to find a way to make yourself conform.

It reminds me of LTT's RTX 4080 review, where they were positive on the card but hardly criticized the fact it is totally overpriced at $1200. It's a terrible value and out of reach of most consumers but they mainly looked at benchmarks and declared it a great product without considering anything else about it. LTT got pushback on that but I doubt they learned anything.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Having watched the video, one of the bits that stood out to me was this segment where LTT was reviewing the Ryzen 7950X, and from the clip that was cut out, it looked like they were trying to match AMD's own findings, and then regretting that they couldn't because then it meant that they'd have to give it a negative evaluation when compared to all other reviewers. It was completely bizarre, because that's utter nonsense when you're trying to review a thing.

and like, not to endorse or defend JayzTwoCents, but his channel was in a similar position with the RTX 4060Ti review, where they were positive on it when everyone else wasn't, and he took down the review entirely.

Every field but IT considers OEM data to be guidelines at best, lies most likely so they don't make egregious errors during reviews. Take car specs, fuel consumption is always wrong and every reviewer will retest it before going to press, only an idiot would trust the spec sheet blindly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mewse posted:

Like.. the labs guy saying their work will be better than GN because they'll be generating fresh data for every review... I believe he believes that, I also believe when you come at the king you best not miss.
That's so loving dumb. If you control the environment properly, the results should be repeatable. If you think you're doing it better by rerunning benchmarks of past configurations, your methodology is wrong. Isn't the guy initially from RTings?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

mewse posted:

Not just GN Steve but also HUB Steve which was a genuine :psyduck: moment. Motherfucker HUB Steve hasn't left his benchmark pit in a decade, what the gently caress are you talking about??

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's so loving dumb. If you control the environment properly, the results should be repeatable. If you think you're doing it better by rerunning benchmarks of past configurations, your methodology is wrong. Isn't the guy initially from RTings?

Makes me wonder if the lab guru they hired is feeding Linus bullshit lines like that to make his job and the lab itself sound more important. "We're going to be even more thorough than Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed because [made up reason]" and Linus doesn't know any better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

njsykora posted:

There's a bunch of other high rated comments saying the same stuff, a few specifically citing industry standard documentation.
I guess they're editing the comments? While I see some complaints about methodology, it seems generic tepid bandwagon criticism. That, or Youtube is just being a pain in the rear end as usual.

The video getting downvoted a lot is fun. YMMV, with what being an extension interpolating the data from fewer samples.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I honestly don't get why that LTT labs dude felt the need to take a potshot at GN or HardwareUnboxed. LTT is the 800-pound gorilla of tech youtubers, so how insecure do you have to be take a swing like that?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Gamers Nexus did a really good job with this piece.

I generally like the Linus Tech Tips channel and the personalities featured in the videos, but the number of mistakes lately has been really wild. It feels like the staff is both stretched way too thin in places that matter while also being bloated to the point that important processes are being lost or rushed through. I can believe all of the stuff with the GPU cooler being a series of miscommunications and process failures being true but it really is unacceptable.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

They should turn a negative into a positive and open up a Linus Theft Tips channel and capture a whole new audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I did a quick skim of recent LTT videos and I noticed that for every single one of them Linus is the Director/Producer which is just absolutely insane. There's not even any assistant producers on the staff roster. That means there is no oversight from research/testing, writing, filming and editing phases. Ostensibly that could be the writer but it seems they're swamped while also occasionally being pulled into co-host duties. No extra pair of eyes to go "These results from the lab are kinda weird, we need to omit that" .