Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i went to rehab march of 22. havent had a drink since. but i do smoke a lot of weed

Congrats on your alcohol sobriety friend!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1691113527669325824#m
Lots of coping today from Zhivov. He thinks Ukraine doesn't have much left in the gas tank.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsArtoir/status/1691113527669325824#m
Lots of coping today from Zhivov. He thinks Ukraine doesn't have much left in the gas tank.

The Bush admin might have made terrorism an useless word but the Russians are really finishing the job. Shooting a guy carrying an AK in a trench? Terrorism! Destroying enemy munitions dumps with long range weaponry? Terrorism!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i went to rehab march of 22. havent had a drink since. but i do smoke a lot of weed

That's a pretty good run!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"political violence you dont like"

political? yes. violence? yes. they dont like it? they sure dont like it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

The Bush admin might have made terrorism an useless word but the Russians are really finishing the job. Shooting a guy carrying an AK in a trench? Terrorism! Destroying enemy munitions dumps with long range weaponry? Terrorism!

Everyone that is against POCCNR is considered a Nazi, fascist, and terrorist according to them, so I mean if nothing POCCNR was doing it before Bush the Younger invaded Iraq.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
right on zippy

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Zippy the Bummer posted:

That's great to hear, congratulations on a long and ever growing streak of not-alcohol.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Speaking as a person who does still occasionally drink, way to go Zip. Congrats on being a better person than me.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Since we all love Hillary in this thread, allow me to briefly stray off-topic:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1691277325982216192?s=20

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zippy the Bummer posted:

You got this, keep that streak going!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got Hillaried coz I do like her

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If Hillary bad, and Trump Hillary enemy, then Trump,, good?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Zippy the Bummer posted:

:hfive:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

spankmeister posted:

If Hillary bad, and Trump Hillary enemy, then Trump,, good?

Trump would have prevented this war, he said so himself!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hell yeah, congrats Zippy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

beer_war posted:

Trump would have prevented this war, he said so himself!

I would have preferred Hillary for all the melt downs she would have caused by just being a female instead of a president melting down because his Diet Coke was flat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Fire at Russian fuel station kills 30, scores injured
August 15, 20238:42 AM GMT+2Updated 2 hours ago

MOSCOW, Aug 15 (Reuters) - A fire at a fuel station in the southern Russian region of Dagestan late on Monday killed at least 30 people including three children, Russia's emergency services ministry said on Tuesday.

The fire started at an auto repair shop on the roadside of a highway in Dagestani capital Makhachkala on Monday night and caused blasts as it spread to the nearby filling station, officials said.

"It's like a war here," a witness said.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/three-dead-blast-car-service-russian-city-makhachkala-ria-2023-08-14/

No idea how 30 people were at a gas station, the article doesn't really make it clear . It's pretty bad really with some children victims as well but :lol: at the quote.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/15/russian-central-bank-jacks-up-interest-rates-to-12percent-at-emergency-meeting-after-ruble-plunge.html

quote:

Russia’s central bank on Tuesday hiked interest rates by 350 basis points to 12% at an emergency meeting, as Moscow looks to halt a rapid depreciation of the country’s ruble
currency.

The ruble slumped to near 102 to the dollar on Monday, as President Vladimir Putin’s economic advisor, Maxim Oreshkin, penned an op-ed in Russian state-owned Tass news agency that blamed the plunging currency and the acceleration of inflation on the “loose monetary policy” of the central bank.

The Bank of Russia subsequently announced an extraordinary meeting on Tuesday to reassess its key interest rate, which previously sat at 8.5%.

In its announcement, the central ban ksaid the decision was aimed at “limiting price stability risks” as “inflationary pressure is building up.”

Russia’s annual inflation rate stood at an annual 4.4% over the first seven days of August, and the Bank of Russia said that upward pressure has continued to mount, with current price growth over the last three months averaging an annualized 7.6% on a seasonally adjusted basis. Core inflation over the same period rose to 7.1%.

“Steady growth in domestic demand surpassing the capacity to expand output amplifies the underlying inflationary pressure and has impact on the ruble’s exchange rate dynamics through elevated demand for imports,” the central bank’s board said.

“Consequently, the pass-through of the ruble’s depreciation to prices is gaining momentum and inflation expectations are on the rise.”
Nyet panik. Normal katastrof.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

This is going to hit the bread financing sector really hard.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Driving yourself into an economic ditch because you were nostalgic for your imperial days of yore seems like a bad decision to me.

Who knows where the threshold lies for any financial crisis induced coup attempts, though. Hard to say what tolerance either economic elites or the masses have for belt tightening and hopelessness, to say nothing of at what point discontent overcomes fear of the security apparatus.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Driving yourself into an economic ditch because you were nostalgic for your imperial days of yore seems like a bad decision to me.

Britain certainly liked the idea even when described in precisely those terms.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Cugel the Clever posted:

Who knows where the threshold lies for any financial crisis induced coup attempts, though. Hard to say what tolerance either economic elites or the masses have for belt tightening and hopelessness, to say nothing of at what point discontent overcomes fear of the security apparatus.
It's for this reason that monke announced that Rosgvardiya is getting a huge job lot of heavy equipment for their use, when they desperately need exactly this heavy equipment in any quantity to shore up the front line. It's possible monke is anticipating a revolt or another attempted coup in the wake of another battlefield defeat, which right now has only been staved off, and possibly not for much longer, thanks to millions of mines.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt this currency poo poo will make much of a difference even if they can't prop it up. Other than making the remaining imports and vacations in Turkey more expensive, I think people will put up with it just fine as long as it owns the homonazis and makes russia stronk.

zone posted:

It's for this reason that monke announced that Rosgvardiya is getting a huge job lot of heavy equipment for their use, when they desperately need exactly this heavy equipment in any quantity to shore up the front line. It's possible monke is anticipating a revolt or another attempted coup in the wake of another battlefield defeat, which right now has only been staved off, and possibly not for much longer, thanks to millions of mines.
Or he's gonna send them to the front lol.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Der Kyhe posted:

This is going to hit the bread financing sector really hard.

Baker's dozen installments of ₽10.99

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

The economy was poo poo during the empire as well so I guess imperial nostalgia fulfilled.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt this currency poo poo will make much of a difference even if they can't prop it up. Other than making the remaining imports and vacations in Turkey more expensive, I think people will put up with it just fine as long as it owns the homonazis and makes russia stronk.

That would probably be the most stupid thing monke's done all war long, tbh. And we've had a great deal of stupid decisions to pick through.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mobby_6kl posted:

The economic elites were placated for the last two decades by the regime leaving the money spigot on for those who didn't rock the boat (with the stick of random assassination and prosecution looming in the background). The spigot is suddenly dry and a lot of Russian millionaires are likely keeping a keen eye out for anyone who can promise to turn it back on with minimal fuss.

Nobody wants to be the first mover, but Wagner's escapades maybe set the ground for a second mover with a little more follow through.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Russia looked at the UK and went "Hold my vodka"

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

CNBC posted:

Putin’s economic advisor, Maxim Oreshkin, penned an op-ed in Russian state-owned Tass news agency that blamed the plunging currency and the acceleration of inflation on the “loose monetary policy” of the central bank.

The Bank of Russia subsequently announced an extraordinary meeting on Tuesday to reassess its key interest rate, which previously sat at 8.5%.

Ah yes, the loose monetary policy with *checks notes* ...8.5% interest rates.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

weg posted:

Baker's dozen installments of ₽10.99

A Baker's Ruble; $0.01 :homebrew:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

The economic elites were placated for the last two decades by the regime leaving the money spigot on for those who didn't rock the boat (with the stick of random assassination and prosecution looming in the background). The spigot is suddenly dry and a lot of Russian millionaires are likely keeping a keen eye out for anyone who can promise to turn it back on with minimal fuss.

Nobody wants to be the first mover, but Wagner's escapades maybe set the ground for a second mover with a little more follow through.
I'm sure the actual meaningful elites are insulated from this bullshit. Wasn't there some news about their billionaires making mad money now that they can run confiscated McDonalds restaurants and everyone being forced to spend locally? I guess I'm just not optimistic about accelerationism causing any meaningful change.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mobby_6kl posted:

They get the good stuff to keep the peasant folk from getting ideas about who's in charge.

:lol: if he did send them to the front though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They get the good stuff to keep the peasant folk from getting ideas about who's in charge.

:lol: if he did send them to the front though.

zone posted:

That would probably be the most stupid thing monke's done all war long, tbh. And we've had a great deal of stupid decisions to pick through.

I mean, he might have to eventually if he doesn't want to do another round of mobilization, right? They'd be already equipped and somewhat trained. Then he'll just have to hope Hot Dog man stays in voluntary exile with Batka.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Captain Fargle posted:

Russia looked at the UK and went "Hold my vodka"

I know, right?!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I've never seen a bigger pack of lies before in my life.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Who is watching what is going on and thinking "yeah, Russia really seems like a great place to purchase weapons from now"?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zone posted:

I've never seen a bigger pack of lies before in my life.

Well, at least talk is still cheap.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1691336690290552832
lol