Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Szechwan posted:

Haha yes it is. We needed a reminder of her pink nose puppy phase. I can't find that exact pic but this does the trick

ohh my goodness..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

big flopper

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sticker butt

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HootTheOwl posted:

Sticker butt

I think it's the tag that says dry clean only.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
When people said Bulldogs fart and that they stink, I really underestimated how bad it would be

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have fun wiping all the folds

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
She's and old English, so she's less foldy and longer snout, better health overall tbh..but she still stinks.

I'll try to get an updated photo uploaded if I remember actually, she's loving massive now compared to the last photo I posted. She's put on like 10-12kg in 2 months.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Mr Froglet is teaching Holly to pack up her toys.

Thus far she'll only do it with the one toy (not surprising, coz dogs aren't good at generalising that kind of thing), and now will remove that toy from her toy box, put it back in, then look at us expectantly for a reward. :3:

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
My little girl has picked up her first (that we know of) inadvertently learned command! When I yell "babe" she goes and looks for my wife! When my wife yells "babe", my puppy will... Go and look for my wife! In other news, we've discovered who her favorite parent is! Terrible dog all around.

Puppy tax (her name is Coco and she's five months and change):

Clowner fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 9, 2023

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Let Pongo out in the morning and he got skunked bad, the white fur on his chest is yellow. Juvenile, poor thing was terrified. Time to go to cvs for hydrogen peroxide after I drop the kids off at school!

Meanwhile, you’re staying in the garage buddy, sorry!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whiskey Updates:

- Ditched the crate 'cos he was destroying a dog bed daily in the crate. He was only in the crate at night for sleep (after he had fallen asleep somewhere else I would crate him). He never HATED the crate, but he never took to it either. He would wander in and out of it, sometimes nap in it, but it was never his thing. Nowadays he sleeps on the couches in the living room and it improved his behaviour overall. He was never destructive to the furniture and that trend has continued. For the past 3 months I have woken up to a Golden Retriever curled up on the couch, the tail happily thumps the couch as I approach and then when I'm in petting rage, he lays on his back, spreads out and he gets all the pats.He has a dog bed where his crate used to be and he hasn't ever chewed it and he likes the bed. Still prefers to sleep on the couches but the most amount of damage he's done to the couch or a cushion is fart on it (which can be damaging as gently caress to be fair)

- He pulled like a Mac truck and dove off everywhere on his walks. I was recommended to try a slip leash with him (he was 7 months old). After 6 weeks on that, we're back on his normal leash and he now understands what I've been trying to tell him this whole time. We now have loose leash walking, hell he's often walking NEXT to me, and if he wants to investigate something (tree, bush, person, random inanimate object) he sits down and waits to be told he can first (most of the time! Sometimes things are just too drat exciting, but he's trying and he's learning!)

- Lives in the backyard when I'm at work, always has. Never done damage to the house outside. We have a slight digging issue, but he doesn't dig near the fence line and the holes he digs aren't big enough for him anyway. I've been putting loose bricks in the holes and that stops him from digging the holes further. His digging has been slowing down so he's growing out of it slowly. Since I prevent his "art" from progressing I think he's figuring it's a bit pointless so he's not trying as much.

The current issue I have which I'm not getting progress on and...have no idea how to fix is:

We have a neighbour who...I highly suspect is a very irresponsible cat owner. Every 9 months or so I start getting random kittens in my backyard. They hang around for a few months and then eventually they start to disappear and about 6-9 months later I start seeing kittens again. It hasn't PARTICULARLY bothered me 'cos...kittens are cute. I never let them into my house, fed them or pet them, but I never bothered them either.

Whiskey on the other hand is very vocal to the cats. The cats in turn are assholes. They will sit on the fence looking down at Whiskey who will literally bark non-stop at the cats until they go away. Meanwhile, the cats are enjoying the show Whiskey is putting on for them so the cats give 0 shits and don't go anywhere. While I acknowledge the cats are a problem and I'm considering reporting the neighbour, I also think I need to train Whiskey to not bark at cats and possums and other assorted wildlife.

So the suggestions that I've seen have been to wait until he stops and then reward when he's quiet. The tricky part is that he literally DOESN'T stop. He stops when the cat fucks off. However, I don't want to reward him when he goes quiet when the cat goes away 'cos I'm sure that'll translate in his brain as: "YES I SCARED KITTY AWAY AND GOT A TREAT FOR SCARING KITTY AWAY 'COS I'M GOOD" rather than: "I GET REWARDS FOR QUIET? YAY!"

Aside from barking at wildlife, he doesn't bark. So I don't have many opportunities to reward him for being quiet either. It's just these goddamn cats that set him off.

Suggestions?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

when torgal barks we just hold his mouth together and go shhhh. it's been weeks of this and he barely does it anymore, mostly catching himself and doing some sort of half growl. recommending this strategy unless someone has a better idea re: your dog and cat dillema

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

cumpantry posted:

when torgal barks we just hold his mouth together and go shhhh.

Wait, that works?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Look at That would be the best option I can think of to desensitize to the cats. You just have to make sure your treats are good enough and your distance far enough that the dog will turn back to you and eat it. You don’t have to wait for quiet, it’ll just fade as they figure out the game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s been nearly a year since we adopted her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
god that is SO MUCH DOG.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Those are some crazy long legs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that’s what everyone says!

She’s like the perfect height for everything as annoying as possible.

Head on table? Check
Head on counters? Check
Head staring at you in bed? Check
rear end in a top hat and balls? Check

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Those are some crazy long legs

the Bayonetta of dogs

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Mines the opposite, she's 3 times the size she was 2 months ago, but it's all in the head and chest. She's just a huge loving lump.

That turtle was the same size she was when we got her.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

argh, why can't you stay still while i'm trying to trim your dew claws

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Wigglebeans are hard

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

GateOfD posted:

I know, right? Moreover the trimmers are not a chew toy

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does anybody else get paranoid about their dog and whether or not they're okay?

My head is loving with me. Whiskey is...digesting everything properly. He still gets zoomies and is playful and wants hugs and treats and pats. He's a delight to everybody he meets. He often sits on the couch looking me in the eye while I give him chest rubs. If I lean close he'll gently lick my nose. He sometimes curls up on top of me and snores for a good 5-10 minutes before he decides my legs\chest\whatever isn't a good pillow, then he'll go curl up somewhere else and get proper comfy and snore (he legit snores). He will bring me toys to either "show" me or ask me to throw them so he can chase them.

His behaviour is improving on walks and he enjoys them. Tail wags are common as are smiley faces.

But there's a few things bothering me and I'm 95% sure there isn't a problem and my brain is loving with me.

- I took him to a DIY dog wash on Sunday. He was not a fan. He was panicking a little. Did the whole wash in 10 minutes but he wasn't cool with it. I'll stick with bathing him at home. He was "off" for the rest of the day and slept earlier than usual.

- He used to eat his meals in one gulp. Now he eats half at first, then the other half about an hour later. STILL EATING EVERYTHING and all the treats and stuff, so he's not eating less but he isn't demolishing everything either. This started the day after the above dog-wash.

- He's shedding like crazy. No exposed skin or anything and his coat is still fluffy and lovely and great for hugs. This is my first dog AND my first Goldie so I wouldn't be shocked if the first time my dog sheds I think there's something wrong due to being unprepared for exactly how much a Golden Retriever sheds. So...fellow Aussies, is now the right time for a dog to shed? (Also, he's 8.5 months old so if he's shedding his puppy coat, that's cool too). This again started after the dog wash, so maybe this is a result of the dog wash?

- General feeling of things not being right. It feels like he's deliberately on his ABSOLUTE BEST BEHAVIOUR around me, almost like he's scared or shy or timid? This is resulting in me playing with him more often with his toys, giving him more treats and pets and rewards and assuring him he's good. If he was scared of me, I'm sure he wouldn't be coming up for playtime or hugs?

Like I wouldn't be shocked if I'm over-reacting to all of this (which is resulting in the "general feeling" I described).

But I dunno. Even though he still comes to me for hugs and treats and play, and I get tail wags, and he's eating everything (eventually) and drinking and digesting and getting the odd zoomy...it's just not quite feeling right.

I'm taking him to the Vet tomorrow for a checkup where I am sure he will tell me Whiskey is 100% fine and lovely which will probably help me feel better and get my head sorted but yeah. Does anybody else get these head games from time to time?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

H13 posted:

I'm taking him to the Vet tomorrow for a checkup where I am sure he will tell me Whiskey is 100% fine and lovely which will probably help me feel better and get my head sorted but yeah. Does anybody else get these head games from time to time?

My inexpert diagnosis is that Whiskey is a very good boy.

All of this sounds like stuff I went through with my golden as well (including the worrying!) At 8.5 months he's getting into adolesence and it's normal for them to go through different phases where their behaviour is changing, including going through periods where they are more fearful.

If he was overwhelmed at the dog wash, then sleeping more afterwards to recover or seeming a little "off" while the stress hormones clear his system is also very normal. Ours also went through stages where he was pickier about his food or decided he didn't want to eat at dinnertime but would then wolf it down before bed. If he's still eating all his food and his weight is fine then I don't think it's cause for concern.

Also oh lord the shedding. Your house will just be full of tribbles.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah this is also effectively kinda puberty for him yeah?

I teach high school. So...I'm well aware that anybody going through puberty can be an entirely different personality on a daily basis.

As I said, I'm 95% sure my paranoia is entirely in my head, which the vet will probably confirm.

And since I'm...aware enough that said it's my head loving with me, just thought I'd see if other people's heads gently caress with them in regards to their good boys.

(Note: Whisky and I just had a play wrestle. He was ABSURDLY good. When playing with his paws, he would make biting motions, but VERY OBVIOUSLY AND CLEARLY intentionally missing my hands. He would bite in the general direction, but clearly intending to miss my hands so he was more playing along than anything else. He had big doggy smiles and the tail was thumping the floor. So again...I'm sure my head is loving with me)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Sounds to me like your dog is very well behaved and happy, he clearly has better manners than mine too..

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

He doesn't look like he's struggling.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

H13 posted:

- General feeling of things not being right. It feels like he's deliberately on his ABSOLUTE BEST BEHAVIOUR around me, almost like he's scared or shy or timid? This is resulting in me playing with him more often with his toys, giving him more treats and pets and rewards and assuring him he's good. If he was scared of me, I'm sure he wouldn't be coming up for playtime or hugs?

This is a you problem but you're not alone! We tend to infantilize our pets but they don't achieve a sense of safety and satisfaction the way that we do (I know you know this but spelling it out). If your dog is waiting on you, looking to you for approval and engaging with you on his best behavior you've conditioned in him, it's because you're a foundational point of safety for him. He's interacting with you the way that he is because you're satisfying his needs as a domesticated dog - this is the goal. Your little buddy is happy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

H13 posted:

He doesn't look like he's struggling.

He's gorgeous

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
UPDATE:

He's fine.

I can explain my concern now.

Whiskey is usually a big smiley doofus. He wasn't smiling.

Last night he started smiling again and magically I feel better and like he's fine.

He was probably still a little stressed from the dog wash and now he's over it and he's all smiles and hugs and relatively sort of controlled chaos.

He good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Enhanced shedding after a bath on a double coated breed (such as a golden retriever) is nothing to worry about - getting in there with soap and water and lots of massaging is very good at getting in there and loosening up fluff that was already going to come out. In fact it's very good because that double coat wants to shed!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Freja has the shits. It's not good. I've hardly slept. I've been up all night cleaning up poo poo. Good times...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

For the record, here is the smiley boy just so you know what I mean.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
We're rescuing a cat and bringing her home tomorrow, so we need to start the process of slowly introducing her to Cosmo, or to be more accurate: To introduce Cosmo to the concept that yes, this new creature is here to stay and this may mean the hierarchy around here starts to change.

Cosmo is a Shiba Inu and therefore a little drama queen at the best of times, but at the moment he's going through a pretty intense jealousy phase - He is chill around people and other animals until the second we start giving another animal attention, at which point he goes berserk. We've also noticed that if he doesn't have free reign of the house he freaks out if someone or something new comes in, as soon as he's been given a chance to assess he's fine.

Our plan of action is to isolate the cat (Clementine) in one room for the first few days to allow her to acclimatize to her new home in peace, and start bringing items of hers down to the lounge where Cosmo generally hangs out for him to sniff. Then it'll be a matter of us being with him on one side of a gate as she starts to explore the house, giving him treats when he's calm. She's going to be an indoor cat and one of us is always working from home on any given day, so we're feeling confident.

Does anyone have any further tips? Here's my Dog Tax:

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 17, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Sometime this morning Kepler found what I'm pretty sure was the bone from a baby back rib in my backyard.

He was in the middle of the very large, fenced yard chewing on it. We don't keep our trashcans in/near the backyard. The fences on all sides are 6' tall with no gaps. My family has not eaten ribs in months.

For the life of me I can't figure out where the hell he got it.

Two months ago he found a completely intact chicken egg in the middle of the yard. I suspect there may be a hidden interdimensional portal between the local Publix and my backyard.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Adrianics posted:

We're rescuing a cat and bringing her home tomorrow, so we need to start the process of slowly introducing her to Cosmo, or to be more accurate: To introduce Cosmo to the concept that yes, this new creature is here to stay and this may mean the hierarchy around here starts to change.

Cosmo is a Shiba Inu and therefore a little drama queen at the best of times, but at the moment he's going through a pretty intense jealousy phase - He is chill around people and other animals until the second we start giving another animal attention, at which point he goes berserk. We've also noticed that if he doesn't have free reign of the house he freaks out if someone or something new comes in, as soon as he's been given a chance to assess he's fine.

Our plan of action is to isolate the cat (Clementine) in one room for the first few days to allow her to acclimatize to her new home in peace, and start bringing items of hers down to the lounge where Cosmo generally hangs out for him to sniff. Then it'll be a matter of us being with him on one side of a gate as she starts to explore the house, giving him treats when he's calm. She's going to be an indoor cat and one of us is always working from home on any given day, so we're feeling confident.

Does anyone have any further tips? Here's my Dog Tax:

I tried that same tactic and my pooch, to this day, will chase the cat on sight 90% of the time. We still have a baby gate on the stairs to let the cat escape onto the upper level 5 months later. Good luck and share if you get better results!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

WhiteHowler posted:

Sometime this morning Kepler found what I'm pretty sure was the bone from a baby back rib in my backyard.

He was in the middle of the very large, fenced yard chewing on it. We don't keep our trashcans in/near the backyard. The fences on all sides are 6' tall with no gaps. My family has not eaten ribs in months.

Two months ago he found a completely intact chicken egg in the middle of the yard. I suspect there may be a hidden interdimensional portal between the local Publix and my backyard.

The local corvids love dropping random bones and other misc treasures in my yard, so maybe you've made a crow friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Gabriel has found things like bones, rawhide and other stuff that Darla had hidden, gently caress, has to be more than 5 years ago now because her teeth started failing and she couldn't chew them any more and I stopped handing them out. So that reminded me of some good times, and also reminded me to get him some more of that stuff because holy poo poo does he love chewing stuff :3

e: in particular he found this toy, which I hadn't seen in something like 8 or 9 years

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 18, 2023