Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HootTheOwl posted:

I want the thread to answer honestly, and it's ok if you didn't but before Saturday, who had heard of the term "air yards" before?

I had. Seems pretty self explanatory, it's the opposite of YAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

I want the thread to answer honestly, and it's ok if you didn't but before Saturday, who had heard of the term "air yards" before?

Yes of course.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A bunch of liars could have gone all day saying nothing and not exposing yourselves. lmao.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

It comes up now and then when talking about guys like Tua or Mahomes. There was even a stat recently about how Mahomes' air yards per TD pass drastically dropped each year of his career as more and more teams tried to go prevent on him. edit- this one:
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1676241393528733700

I've also seen it come up with guys like Carr, late stage Brees, and Pennington.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If your QB has a lot of YAC, he's a checkdown merchant game manager system talentless schlub, if your QB has a lot of air yards, he's an unsustainable selfish reckless tryhard Grossman wannabe moron who throws a ton of picks and puts his defense in horrible positions.

If my QB has a lot of YAC, he's decisive and mechanical, an expert reader and exploiter of defenses and if he has a lot of air yards, he's a courageous gunslinger who knows how to win.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

HootTheOwl posted:

A bunch of liars could have gone all day saying nothing and not exposing yourselves. lmao.

Unironically, air yards was a topic that came up with Goff semi-frequently last year. Because he didn't have a lot of them until later in the year.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Air yards is another nerd stat designed to lead us from the only true QB Metric.

~*Wins*~

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, Air Yards is a pretty common thing that people look at once you like step even a little bit into looking into "advanced" football stats for QB's.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I love that tweet whenever posted - it really fills in with the additional tweet

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1676690084072923138?s=46&t=j30tBumVMG7Ob8ZnEVW5qw

Id have never expected Geno or Carr to be so drat high. Impressive as hell!

Edit Fields too. Man Ive liked fields so much since the pre draft process and somehow I think even then I underestimated his potential. Fun to watch him grow.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Amy Pole Her posted:

I love that tweet whenever posted - it really fills in with the additional tweet

https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1676690084072923138?s=46&t=j30tBumVMG7Ob8ZnEVW5qw

Id have never expected Geno or Carr to be so drat high. Impressive as hell!

Edit Fields too. Man Ive liked fields so much since the pre draft process and somehow I think even then I underestimated his potential. Fun to watch him grow.

At this point, my love for Fields has become a bit. But his pre draft evaluation never made sense to me. The fact that he didn't go second overall is the dumbest thing ever and I am grateful teams are dumb.

EDIT: and air yards have been bandied about fantasy football and advanced football stats conversations for the greater part of a decade.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 14, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Amy Pole Her posted:

Mahomes is basically Sam Bradford

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
His flaws were real, He never had to like ever do quick short game stuff in college(weird playing with Olave/JSN/Wilson means if you are athletic enough to stay clean, one of those dudes will eventually get open deep for bombs)

But yeah he was pretty clearly the second best QB in that draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

His flaws were real, He never had to like ever do quick short game stuff in college(weird playing with Olave/JSN/Wilson means if you are athletic enough to stay clean, one of those dudes will eventually get open deep for bombs)

The other guys has more flaws is the problem.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

lions went to another super bowl in madden. this time they went 9 and 8.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

MJeff posted:

If your QB has a lot of YAC, he's a checkdown merchant game manager system talentless schlub, if your QB has a lot of air yards, he's an unsustainable selfish reckless tryhard Grossman wannabe moron who throws a ton of picks and puts his defense in horrible positions.

If my QB has a lot of YAC, he's decisive and mechanical, an expert reader and exploiter of defenses and if he has a lot of air yards, he's a courageous gunslinger who knows how to win.

:hmmyes:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

From my complete meatball perspective, I wanted him the minute he came back in after that brutal hit in the Clemson game and torched their defense yet again. I knew he'd never have bullshit questions about 'toughness' from fans/media with that to point to

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

PFF grades are good and not at all made-up nonsense today:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1691125026282704896

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They are fake, but he also looked good against the scrubs.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Packers wyts never disappoints

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Packers have a weird situation where we have too many corners, especially when Stokes is back from injury. I could see moving Rasul Douglas to safety in place of Darnell Savage to open up a corner spot. Douglas seems like he's best at being a ball hawk anyway.

It's so weird for me personally because I was the only poster in the draft thread to notice that guy, and then the Packers went to draft him, and then he's apparently actually good?!

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Carrington Valentine" is a Resident Evil villain name

SKULL.GIF posted:

:siren: Packers have drafted the Resident Evil villain

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 14, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yay, a small part of my ranting WYTS entry got used:

quote:

The only hope for this season is that Rodgers goes full Russell Wilson on the Jets, ruins their season, and Saleh gets fired so the Packers can hire him to replace Joe Barry.

:woop:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tinstaach posted:

PFF grades are good and not at all made-up nonsense today:

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1691125026282704896

Yess I'm glad pff grades went from LOSERS WHO DONT KNOW BALL MAKING UP FAKE NUMBERS to real ball heads getting Tha Best Players Under The Microscope And Rewarding Their Great Skill !!

I get that jack campbell was a reach based on positional scarcity and all but it has been a long time since Detroit's had a good mlb

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yess I'm glad pff grades went from LOSERS WHO DONT KNOW BALL MAKING UP FAKE NUMBERS to real ball heads getting Tha Best Players Under The Microscope And Rewarding Their Great Skill !!

I get that jack campbell was a reach based on positional scarcity and all but it has been a long time since Detroit's had a good mlb

People who think Campbell is a reach because he's an inside linebacker are dumb and wrong. He was an elite prospect at his position and filled a manir need for the Lions.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I dont quite understand how pff works or what pff stands for. I saw an article on some of the pff scores for some of the bears in the first game. Fields had a 60 somethin. Do they start at a specific number and then add and subtract from there? Was fields number lower because of the limited snaps?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Preseason week 1 PFF grades lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

ZombieCrew posted:

I dont quite understand how pff works or what pff stands for. I saw an article on some of the pff scores for some of the bears in the first game. Fields had a 60 somethin. Do they start at a specific number and then add and subtract from there? Was fields number lower because of the limited snaps?

It was probably lower because 90% of his yards and touchdowns were YAC plays.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sorry teddy is bad now
https://twitter.com/nfl_jersey_num/status/1691218040761864192?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He said it’s temporary, once cuts happen and other numbers are available he plans to switch it before the season starts.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ZombieCrew posted:

if your guy's number is low it's made up bullshit, if your guy's number is high it's cool and wise, simple as

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

tinstaach posted:

if your guy's number is low it's made up bullshit, if your guy's number is high it's cool and wise, simple as

But 50 is neither low nor high it does not make sense

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ZombieCrew posted:

I dont quite understand how pff works or what pff stands for.

It's the noise that I make whenever someone tries to talk to me about their statistics.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

PFF is largely fine for what it is. Which is people looking at plays and players play without the context of knowing specifically what is being called and what responsibilities are.

Their individual grades are whatever without said context. Most of the stats they track which aren't tied to guessing what a player's role was supposed to be is pretty useful for a deeper analysis of players.

The people who work there are real self important about their precious grades tho lol.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The only PFF I care about is Personal Football Fortitude. Gotta have the will to win, the killer instinct, a bit of a mean streak, that competitive toughness you just can't measure with stats.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Realistically PFF is just used when it backs up whatever you already believe but now there is a shiny number backing you up

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ok well, I appreciate all the responses. I didnt care much about pff before and now i think ill ignore it. Unless, of course, it backs up my side some inane argument. Then its the most important stat ever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I love to see a completely incoherent graph posted where the X axis is like XPFadj and the Y axis is like 1 3 5 14.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The only stat that's useful is the GotThatDawgInHim index.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love to see a completely incoherent graph posted where the X axis is like XPFadj and the Y axis is like 1 3 5 14.

What if it tells you Trevor Simien is the most tunder appreciated QB in the league.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It isn't just PFF that is garbage for advanced stats. Advanced stats in general are questionable for football. It is hard to isolate who is successful and who isn't in a sport that relies heavily on what the components around it are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
often when those incomprehensible offense/defense graphs are posted I nod along sagely and mutter “yesss” and do not understand what they’re saying