Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Jack Trades posted:

And I wasn't saying that this is unintended. Grinding is absolutely an intended part of the game, with the same philosophy as most JRPGs.

You don't need to grind in most JRPGs, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know why you think you're arguing against me when you're literally describing my point here.
Consumables are a limited resources that you pick up in the world and if you use them and die, you don't get them back unless you grind to be able to afford to replenish them at a merchant.

And I wasn't saying that this is unintended. Grinding is absolutely an intended part of the game, with the same philosophy as most JRPGs.
In that case I have no idea what you meant when you said

Jack Trades posted:

You really don't have to defend game designers not thinking about the systems that they're designing.
which reads like you're saying all this was an afterthought; nor do I understand how losing a few resources disqualifies bonfires from being checkpoints in your mind, since I can think of a lot of games with checkpoints that don't conserve your resources if you die. If you die in the middle of a Sonic level, you don't get to keep your rings or power-ups, but you still get to restart at the star post instead of the beginning.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Please everyone stop wishing that Dark Souls and Elden Ring sucked, it might influence the cosmic waves that Miyazaki needs to keep winning

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

this is page 420 so we should be talking about getting so high you take one look at the Burial Watchdog and start crying

get scared

Ramie fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 15, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frionnel posted:

You don't need to grind in most JRPGs, though.

Yeah, there are some that are built around grinding, but in most of them it's completely unnecessary unless the player is extremely bad at videogames or are going for optional bosses that are way tougher than anything on the main story path.

Grinding is a much bigger issue in MMO and GaaS titles, like Diablo or Destiny.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Besides, why expect grinding when you can just have an encounter rate high enough to act as a de facto grind no matter what you do?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Finally beat Pizza Tower.

Peppino deserves a vacation.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
pizza tower rocks. zero flab on that game, just a steep uphill climb in quality and intensity until it finishes with the best final stretch ever. strong goty #2 contender along with signalis and northern journey in my 2023 list. nothing can beat street fighter but that’s because fighting games are just the best.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's a real spiffy game all-around, though I can tell some of these P-ranks are gonna drive me insane.

It's in my Top Five for the year for sure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Posting on the weed page :420:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leal posted:

Hell, same.
Also the page after that one person got owned about how to play videogames.

Balders Gate 3 is quite a cool game imho.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
smoke weed; play games. what more could you want

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i'm hgigh as fuuuuuckhj right nnnow

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

I personally do not need or want games to take 6 years and need hundreds of people to make

I do, Armored Core 6 is going to own

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I'm not sure if I'm impressed that the Port Royale 3 weed emoticon has dropped down for $3.97 or that it's still worth that much

Oxxidation posted:

I personally do not need or want games to take 6 years and need hundreds of people to make

I'm totally fine with a game taking 6 years if it means devs aren't working crunch time 24/7, games should take longer to make.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The Weed page / Hilter's birthday page?

Celebrate with a bong rip and Sex with Hitler 3D!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Leal posted:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

smoke weed; play games. what more could you want

Not emptyquoting.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

It's a real spiffy game all-around, though I can tell some of these P-ranks are gonna drive me insane.

It's in my Top Five for the year for sure.

Getting all P-ranks was one of the most enjoyable times I’ve had 100%ing a game in a while, if that helps. It’s rad how you can get one even if you take a hit as long as you can keep your combo going fast enough, and the levels are thoughtfully put together so that planning a route felt natural and fun. The only two places I had to do counter-intuitive “save enemies to combo off of later” shenanigans was the area around Bloodsauce’s second secret and that one part of Oh poo poo where you bounce back and forth as a cheese ball.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tetrahydrocannabinol

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I honestly thought the Hitler 4/20 thing was a joke for the longest time. It rules how thoroughly that's been muscled out by funny weed day

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Electric_Mud posted:

I'm not sure if I'm impressed that the Port Royale 3 weed emoticon has dropped down for $3.97 or that it's still worth that much

The latter, now that everyone can just buy the emote with steam points from the store I'm amazed people still hunt for it in tradeable form.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When you blaze alone, you blaze with Hitler

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Leal posted:

When you blaze alone, you blaze with Hitler

:lmao:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

claw game handjob posted:

The latter, now that everyone can just buy the emote with steam points from the store I'm amazed people still hunt for it in tradeable form.

Apparently you have to own the game in order to buy it from the points shop, so I guess that's why

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't think that's true, I get offered poo poo all the time in the points store for shovelware trash that's beyond even my account. I don't own bootleg Dr. Livesy or Neko Hentai 7 but it sure goes "YOU WANT THIS STICKER?" anytime I browse.

Edit: yeah no that's definitely not the case, regretfully confirmed

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 15, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I can't find it in the points shop, I'm not sure where it is.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Getting all P-ranks was one of the most enjoyable times I’ve had 100%ing a game in a while, if that helps. It’s rad how you can get one even if you take a hit as long as you can keep your combo going fast enough, and the levels are thoughtfully put together so that planning a route felt natural and fun. The only two places I had to do counter-intuitive “save enemies to combo off of later” shenanigans was the area around Bloodsauce’s second secret and that one part of Oh poo poo where you bounce back and forth as a cheese ball.
Yeah, I've already gotten a handful of them. When you get into the zone there's nothing quite like it. I've heard people call it Wario Land 5 (which is what initially drew me to it), but there's a strong Sonic influence too, though I don't think any Sonic game has ever made me feel as fast as Peppino making tracks for the exit. His anxious but determined, manic personality is really the perfect fit; rarely have I felt more connected to the little guy I'm controlling on-screen.

Still, some of those later levels, I'd get through parts and think "Man, I'm not looking forwarding to P-ranking this bit."

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think that's true, I get offered poo poo all the time in the points store for shovelware trash that's beyond even my account. I don't own bootleg Dr. Livesy or Neko Hentai 7 but it sure goes "YOU WANT THIS STICKER?" anytime I browse.

Trap sprung, now you own a hentai emote.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

It must vary by game then, because I see this when I go to that emote:

Devs must be going after meme sales

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I guess that probably answers if the devs get some kind of payment for steam points transactions versus market transactions.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Symphonia, a very polished music-themed 2D platformer student project from a few years ago, is getting remade and expanded into a commercially released game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1865960/Symphonia/

Recommend checking out the original if you have a half-hour to spare. it's still available here: https://isart-digital.itch.io/symphonia

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: It's really funny to me how some devs have responded to how amazing BG3 is by saying that you can't expect other devs to step up and actually make good games, larian are witches or something.

the thing is these kinds of choice-heavy reactive CRPGs come out really rarely. the canon of them is what, 15-20 games or so?

i think it's fine to say these games are incredibly, incredibly hard to make

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people just want to take potshots at the usual developers, that's all it is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think there's really always this tension between games-as-consumer-products and games-as-creative-works where like - if a game sucks, then it sucks. it isn't some kind of violation on your consumer rights that merits apology.jpg.

this kind of flies into both sides, between people demanding apologies for a game being bad, and also that thing where- any time a bad game comes out, you always see the dev posts about how "hey guys video games are very hard so please be nice". it's like any creative field, a lot of it is going to be mediocre, and some of it is going to outright suck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Reactivity and choice in cRPGs is such a con. You're basically going through the same levels either way it's primarily a question of programming in dialogue options/skill checks that players want to click on.

True reactivity and choice is Starcraft 2 Mafia.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No Wave posted:

Reactivity and choice in cRPGs is such a con. You're basically going through the same levels either way it's primarily a question of programming in dialogue options/skill checks that players want to click on.

True reactivity and choice is Starcraft 2 Mafia.

yeah and movies are just actors on sets lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think there's really always this tension between games-as-consumer-products and games-as-creative-works where like - if a game sucks, then it sucks. it isn't some kind of violation on your consumer rights that merits apology.jpg.
i'm trying to imagine a world in which there are apology.jpgs for like, The Flash or Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we are truly, deeply :( for The Emoji Movie

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

I mean the framing does matter. If one ending results in everybody living happily ever after and the other ending results in everyone dying, of course people are going to treat them differently even if those characters aren't mechanically important. And if there's an inconsistency later (whoops! Because of the plot everybody has to die/live anyway), people are going to be annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

reactivity in rpg's is getting your good buddy steven heck to mount a minigun on a subway car