Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Yerok posted:

This is non automotive tool posting but I have a shitload of plumbing to do at my parents' old rear end house, a lot of which is hot water boiler plumbing/replacing old fixture supplies run with corrugated flexy copper in the crawlspace full of sand and broken glass.

In order to bribe myself to do it I finally picked up the M12 pro press tool and the pex expander for the potable stuff. I don't mind soldering but I do mind it when I'm laying on my back in the dark and dragging a tray full of fittings, torch, flux, solder, cutter, emery cloth, etc through 30 feet of broken glass.

I'm gonna have to do their well pump before winter too, and I'll feel a lot better about it with it hooked up to pex a buried in a pvc sleeve than 3/4" copper and the nightmare bullshit of old gate valves and crusty joints right before the pressure tank.

How deep is their well?

Well pumps can be quite heavy and be a long way down the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I'm not fully convinced of propress longevity yet

I'm not either, but I've seen people use it in commercial refrigeration and it's holding up for multiple years of 400+ PSI, so I've got hope.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NM, you were talking about ProPress, not Pex.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

kastein posted:

Also, I replace every valve I touch with a quarter turn stainless and brass ball valve, no exceptions.

This is the only way to do it right. When I replaced my pressure tank I replaced all the valves in the basement with ball valves and added several new ones. When the water heater or softener is doing it's best old faithful impression you want to shut that bastard off now!

I've never seen a gate valve that works after a few years of hard water rubbing through it.

E: I know to replace my well pump I'm going to need a well rig or crane, I should start looking for someone competent for when it goes.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SpeedFreek posted:

E: I know to replace my well pump I'm going to need a well rig or crane, I should start looking for someone competent for when it goes.

If all you're doing is replacing the pump, you probably only need a pump hoist. But typically you can't just go out and rent this like you can with a mini-ex or a bobcat.

You're either looking for a well drilling company, or a plumbing company that does well servicing. Shouldn't be that hard to find as lots of plumbers in rural areas do well work. But most likely if you call one of them, they are probably not going to haul up the pump and sit there and watch while you r&r the pump. They'll probably be the ones doing it too.

Maybe you already know this though. Not trying to sound like a dick or whatever.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I used to have access to the tools but the guy died a few years back and auctioned it all off. I'd rather pay someone to do it so it's on them if they screw something up anyway. Not like paying a professional to do anything means it will be done right or they will fix their work anyway.

It's 30 years old so I should probably get something lined up for when it goes. The well itself doesn't show up in any records so who knows how old it is, when was 4" the standard size?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Propress is fine if the fitting is installed to spec (depth and deburring requirements) and it doesnt see significant vibration or thermal cycle movement. With a marginal crimp the latter can cause the gaskets to fail. You can have the same issues with solder connections, so its not really any worse, but some city jurisdictions require several hours of firewatch after hot work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SpeedFreek posted:

I used to have access to the tools but the guy died a few years back and auctioned it all off. I'd rather pay someone to do it so it's on them if they screw something up anyway. Not like paying a professional to do anything means it will be done right or they will fix their work anyway.

It's 30 years old so I should probably get something lined up for when it goes. The well itself doesn't show up in any records so who knows how old it is, when was 4" the standard size?

Ok. Got ya. Wells seem to often be one of those things that people don't know much about, so I wasn't sure if you were some guy that was just gonna be all like "yeah me and the Boyz gon just get a case, pull the lid off the well and pull the pump no biggie bruh".

I deal with test wells, but I know a few things about water wells and 4 inch is fairly common from what I've seen for domestic purposes.

I don't know where you are, but your state DNR or similar agency might have a record of the well online. I think a few years ago a goon in Wisconsin (?) was wondering about that and I was bored and found that state's database online.
There's one for Ontario too that I browse through every now and then. There's lots of (test) wells on there installed by me.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 5, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
That might have been me, searched starting from oldest and I couldn't find it. I remember that 6" is the standard size for residential now and the newest 4" I found was from the 60s or something.

I'm thinking that was back when the frost heaved up the conduit and cut the wires against the well cap, and didn't trip the breaker.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

How deep is their well?

Well pumps can be quite heavy and be a long way down the hole.

It's 80 feet of galvanized hanging from a spool pitless adapter. It won't be fun.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yerok posted:

It's 80 feet of galvanized hanging from a spool pitless adapter. It won't be fun.

Yeah, that's no joke. You're probably look at over 150 lbs. You're gonna need to find some place that will rent a pump puller.

I've done real dumb stuff with ropes, a pickup and a skid steer, but I don't recommend it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is a problem I would solve with a Jeep crane, a pulley, and a couple ropes, yeah.

Stupid question, what do you do if the pipe breaks and the pump falls back down? Cry? Drink a lot? Drill a new well?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Stupid question, what do you do if the pipe breaks and the pump falls back down? Cry? Drink a lot? Drill a new well?

You find a pump retriever:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's no joke. You're probably look at over 150 lbs. You're gonna need to find some place that will rent a pump puller.

I've done real dumb stuff with ropes, a pickup and a skid steer, but I don't recommend it.

I'll probably cut and thread a pipe to make a t-bar to pull the spool out with a half ton hand crank genie lift so I can figure out if the adapter will be usable and if it's on 10'/12' galvanized or 21 footers.

If the pitless is junk or I have to lift over 20 feet to get to a coupling to hold the pipe on the top of the casing I'll just pay a well guy to pull it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

You find a pump retriever:

This looks like a tool I will buy before touching a well pump replacement specifically so something, anything else goes wrong.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Oh drat, I didn't realize I was talking to two different goons about well poo poo.

My comments still stand.

fake edit, I just remembered there are portable well pump pullers. But thats probably too much (money) to deal with for pulling one pump every 30 years or whatever the gently caress. Unless you can find a place to rent something like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Why did nobody ever tell me the magic of using an angle grinder on wood?

An 80 grit flap disc. Approaching it like polishing a car and you absolutely buff the wood away. It's loving magic.

I had to cut 11"x2 1/2" notches out of 6x6 posts. Made the top cut and bottom cut, then about 25 intermediate cuts and knocked the ledges off. That's standard procedure. Then, you're supposed to chisel out the remaining bits and pieces. But an angle grinder with a flap disc makes that part actually fun.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Arbor tech sells a whole bunch of angle grinder attachments for using on wood.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

Why did nobody ever tell me the magic of using an angle grinder on wood?

An 80 grit flap disc. Approaching it like polishing a car and you absolutely buff the wood away. It's loving magic.

I had to cut 11"x2 1/2" notches out of 6x6 posts. Made the top cut and bottom cut, then about 25 intermediate cuts and knocked the ledges off. That's standard procedure. Then, you're supposed to chisel out the remaining bits and pieces. But an angle grinder with a flap disc makes that part actually fun.

Something is in the air as I just learned this as well. I did some distressing of some 2*6s. Flap disc for contouring, roughly handled plane to make cross cuts, and a wire wheel on an angle grinder to strip the softer parts of the wood for texture.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
eReplacementParts is showing me the wrong part for an engine, is that a common thing?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Make sure you have the right series and/or serial number range selected.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Bought a cheapo multitool finally. Last round of rust repair and welding cinched it. I hope it will work well at scraping off underseal too. Cheapest option I found

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

His Divine Shadow posted:

Bought a cheapo multitool finally. Last round of rust repair and welding cinched it. I hope it will work well at scraping off underseal too. Cheapest option I found

I love these things for cutting drywall and about a billion other uses.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah the ability to make a precise plunge cut is fantastic but they have all sorts of uses. I bought one too recently, should have done so much sooner. Except I messed up and got a Bosch which uses a proprietary interface so I can't use cheap generic blades sold everywhere.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Suburban Dad posted:

I love these things for cutting drywall and about a billion other uses.

I bought one to scrape up linoleum and it was a godsend for that, also saved my sanity pulling wood trim from around windows too, just gently wedge the trim loose and reach under and cut the nails.

loving wear earpro though, and gloves with some padding if you’re gonna use it for any kength of time.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
If you do end up using it a lot it might be worth upgrading to a nicer one. My M12 Fuel oscillating tool works a lot better than my cheapy plug in one, mostly because it sends the majority of the vibrations into the blade and not up my forearm.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The vibrations from my HF oscillating tool trigger my tennis elbow something fierce.

I can’t use it for more than a few seconds. I just thought they all did that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

The vibrations from my HF oscillating tool trigger my tennis elbow something fierce.

I can’t use it for more than a few seconds. I just thought they all did that.

Nah, better ones are somewhat better. Also, battery ones have more mass and it makes it better. Like, I can tell the difference between a small or large battery on mine (always use the large one).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

the yeti posted:

loving wear earpro though, and gloves with some padding if you’re gonna use it for any length of time.

This is the truth. These are as loud as an angle grinder cutting steel.

Mine gets action flush cutting trim, or anything where I just feel like a flush cutter is going to work.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My favorite use is for scraping old adhesive/sealants off of things, it's so much faster and easier with the multitool. I have the M18 one and it's decent. You can get adapters to make the Bosch ones work with other tools, I think there are a couple other manuf. that have non-standard holes too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Personal experience is I break it out maybe 4 times a year, but when I do it's EXACTLY the tool that I need.

Mostly for cutting off nails behind trim, plunge cuts in drywall, and removing adhesives, which they 110% excel at.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Invalido posted:

Yeah the ability to make a precise plunge cut is fantastic but they have all sorts of uses. I bought one too recently, should have done so much sooner. Except I messed up and got a Bosch which uses a proprietary interface so I can't use cheap generic blades sold everywhere.

I have a Dremel one and only the Dremel brand parts work on it. The part in the center is just small enough other brands will fall off.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
e: misread

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Invalido posted:

I was going to ask if you sure? My Bosch can use regular, non bosch blades.

But then I looked and it's literally 10 years old and yeah, they look quite different.

gently caress companies and their proprietary, handcuffing you poo poo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Now if they could only just agree on a battery architecture.

Hell, the thread title is still somehow a reference to when I posted about Greenworks and Kobalt 80v batteries being the same battery made by the same company using different colored plastic but they changed where the slots are that guide it into the tool so they won't fit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

I have a Dremel one and only the Dremel brand parts work on it. The part in the center is just small enough other brands will fall off.

I had the opposite problem where I bought a Dremel blade for my Porter-Cable not realizing there was anything different about it. Fortunately, since the problem was just the center section being too small, I was able to just make it bigger until it fit.

It looks like now the Dremel blades are all universal fit so they must have realized not being able to sell their blades to people with every other brand was a dumb move.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wera Advent calendars are on sale now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol I just forwarded the email to my wife and she's like what's this and I said it's a thing you probably aren't aware of.....

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I was just thinking about those cool lasers that burn rust off parts. What would happen if you pointed one at an unclean white fiberglass bathtub? Would it do nothing because the grime isn't dark enough or sensitive to the right wavelength or whatever? Would it perfectly burn all the soap scum off, leaving behind a clean bathtub and a hell of a smell? Would it set the tub on fire like Left Eye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Depends on the laser wavelength and minimum pulse width as well as control scheme. If it's one of the regular derusting setups it's probably going to either burn off the top layer of the gelcoat or set the thing on fire in the process of descumming it, and it will smell AWFUL.

They do make lasers down into the femtosecond pulse width though and those can ablate material off a surface without scorching it or raising its temp.