Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Halflings had more units than Araby did lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Caidin posted:

Lady of the Lake and her cup of performance enhancing immortality water sure SOUNDS like some magic nonsense.

Fair, I meant the pinnacle of human fighting ability while still being human and not half mutated or so juiced with raw magic you might explode.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Araby had a whole Warmaster army released (but also a little Halfling unit would be nice too).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Onehandclapping posted:

Yeah that’s a stupid reason for anything. I know the setting and orcs or whatever are made up, but ‘dudes with halberds’ are a real thing that most nerds playing a fantasy wargame have expectations and reasonable assumptions about, and expecting people to drop those assumptions for no reason strains the mental facade more the any number of angry green men or lizard terminators.

If they want me to think the pointy stick wielding man doesn’t work like a spearman, call it some fantasy bullshit instead

I actually don’t think most nerds playing a fantasy war game have expectations and reasonable assumptions about halberds that impact their enjoyment of the game, insofar that I’ve never encountered one until I read this post.

The halberds could held the wrong way round and actually be a projectile attack that flies out the handle and I would be happy as a lamb.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 15, 2023

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
New RoR: Baldrick's Bunglers, halberd state troopers that are so rubbish at their job they are constantly losing their weapons, in a particularly ballistic fashion. Utterly trash melee stat but a devastating anti-large armor piercing projectile attack that has like 2 reloads but will absolutely annihilate whatever they hit.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Onehandclapping posted:

Yeah that’s a stupid reason for anything. I know the setting and orcs or whatever are made up, but ‘dudes with halberds’ are a real thing that most nerds playing a fantasy wargame have expectations and reasonable assumptions about, and expecting people to drop those assumptions for no reason strains the mental facade more the any number of angry green men or lizard terminators.

If they want me to think the pointy stick wielding man doesn’t work like a spearman, call it some fantasy bullshit instead

I couldn't care less about any of that in Warhammer lol. That's what the historical games are for (and they're bad at that too).

Halberds ftw

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

not a bot posted:

They never had an army book

Neither did Norsca, Kislev, Vampire Coast, or Grand Cathay.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Norsca had stuff from forgeworld and the chaos codex and vampire coast had stuff from white dwarf and forgeworld.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's not super clear that CA even wants to do Araby now that they've moved on from 2, but GW planning an army book for them for Old World is probably the only way it's even plausible. They're too sensitive to touch without new lore to work from.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I'm on the halberds side of halberds vs pikes here. Pikes outdid halberds on the battlefield - but what pikes were best at was beating the crap out of people with slightly shorter pointy weapons on the end of sticks from out of their reach. If you just want to stop cavalry charging bayonets were more than enough for horses to decide they weren't suicidal. Halberds, being short enough to be maneuverable, at least wouldn't get in the way against e.g. bat swarms. Basically the only use of pike blocks for the Empire would be for their civil wars and, although common, those aren't enough.

On the other hand I'm of the view that there should be two basic types of melee state troops; halberdiers (because the halberd is great against most things including in one on one duels so it's a good town watch weapon) and spears and shields for dealing with archers. Unshielded spears are pretty pointless with Empire industry (spears are cheap but halberd heads can do everything spear heads can until you start turning them into pikes or need the balance because you have a shield in the other hand) and sword and shield just loses to spear and shield; the sword was a sidearm. And greatswords weren't much of a thing historically (just use halberds and heavier armour). Of course you get the unprofessional free company, flagellants, and possibly unshielded spears just grabbing what they have. Oh, and archers being cheap given how long they took to train is weird of course.

As for Empire armour, you start by armouring the head and torso and work out. It makes sense to me for the state to provide breastplates or brigandines and helmets, and richer lords or individual troopers to decide whether they want greaves, chain sleeves, or neither.

The real reason for no pikes is that tabletop wargamers hate them because the models break easily of course.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's a real shame. Arabian high fantasy is a neat as hell aesthetic (see the Academy in Heroes of Might & Magic 5 and the Alin in Rise of Legends), and it would be cool to have human LLs in this game who aren't white people.

Gelt presumably isn't white, given that he is from Araby, but you never see his face.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Araby is coming my friends

Also the mod for it is ok

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

It's a real shame. Arabian high fantasy is a neat as hell aesthetic (see the Academy in Heroes of Might & Magic 5 and the Alin in Rise of Legends), and it would be cool to have human LLs in this game who aren't white people.

Gelt presumably isn't white, given that he is from Araby, but you never see his face.

like I kinda get this but I'd rather have Dogs of War. there's the big question mark of those Ogres in the current Great Desert of Araby province tho

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
We got a blog post about Yuan Bo and the additions to the Cathay roster

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3_soc_yuanbo/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

mods rule

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lucinice posted:

We got a blog post about Yuan Bo and the additions to the Cathay roster

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3_soc_yuanbo/
Adding a melee lord as well as replacing the global yin/yang balance with consumables you spend for actions. Sounds good to me!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they gave the laziest name possible to the war drums didnt they? just transliterated from chinese

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Kislev and Grand Cathay have been confirmed as factions for Old World and the units and new fluff comes straight from Games Workshop. Araby will only be a faction if GW starts drumming it up and that's not very likely. The best case scenario is a couple of units for Dogs of War.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they gave the laziest name possible to the war drums didnt they? just transliterated from chinese

Truly shameful, imagine if something like that would have happened to something important, like a name of a playable faction!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

not a bot posted:

Kislev and Grand Cathay have been confirmed as factions for Old World

They haven't been, actually. GW's article on the subject listed these as the 'core factions' for Old World:

Empire of Man
Dwarfen Mountain Holds
Kingdom of Bretonnia
Wood Elf Realms
High Elf Realms
Orc & Goblin Tribes
Warriors of Chaos
Beastmen Brayherds
Tomb Kings of Khemri

With the following getting free PDF rules but no new releases or story:

Dark Elves
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Daemons of Chaos
Ogre Kingdoms
Lizardmen
Chaos Dwarfs

If GW plans to add Kislev or Cathay, they're planned for subsequent releases and haven't said anything official about it. Or are planning to spring them as a surprise announcement or something.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 15, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They showed concept artwork for a Kislev model, and people have talked about an army book for Cathay. Even if they aren't ultimately released for some reason, CA was clearly using work GW developed for Old World when they made those factions.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

They haven't been, actually. GW's article on the subject listed these as the 'core factions' for Old World:

Empire of Man
Dwarfen Mountain Holds
Kingdom of Bretonnia
Wood Elf Realms
High Elf Realms
Orc & Goblin Tribes
Warriors of Chaos
Beastmen Brayherds
Tomb Kings of Khemri

With the following getting free PDF rules but no new releases or story:

Dark Elves
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Daemons of Chaos
Ogre Kingdoms
Lizardmen
Chaos Dwarfs

If GW plans to add Kislev or Cathay, they're planned for subsequent releases and haven't said anything official about it.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/18/grand-cathay-is-mapped-for-the-first-time-in-warhammer-the-old-world/

quote:

Cathay will also be coming to the tabletop in the upcoming Warhammer: The Old World. And now, there’s a map. Here’s the Old World supremo Andy Hoare to explain.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/11/old-world-update-bearsgw-homepage-post-4/

quote:

We can’t wait to see the bear cavalry that will be coming to Warhammer: The Old World. They’re a long way from being models yet, but we’ve secured some stunning concept sketches of what you’ll be able to expect.

they are specifically adding in Kislev and Cathay to Old World as second releases yes. their strategy, for first wave, are factions that already have a lot of releases and they'd have to do minimal work to relaunch

also the factions you listed are the factions that will get new models and a narrative focus all factions will have rules if they existed previously

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/05/23/old-world-development-diary-the-main-factions-revealed/

quote:

Certain factions people remember from Warhammer Fantasy Battles are not part of the narrative we’re telling with The Old World, but will be provided with rules at the launch of the game.

Dark Elves
Skaven
Vampire Counts
Daemons of Chaos
Ogre Kingdoms
Lizardmen
Chaos Dwarfs

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Cythereal posted:

If GW plans to add Kislev or Cathay, they're planned for subsequent releases and haven't said anything official about it. Or are planning to spring them as a surprise announcement or something.

GW has said that every Kislev and Cathay unit in WH3 has tabletop stats and rules and the Cathay map as well as the fluff for both factions is by the Old World team. Also during the latest Warhammer Fest they confirmed that both factions are still on their way.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

In the old ogre book they had access to "cathayan longswords" that I always assumed were just katanas so I dunno why cathayan is all of a sudden Chinese now? Was it always Chinese and I'm dumb?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Chinese can have long swords, weeb

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

In the old ogre book they had access to "cathayan longswords" that I always assumed were just katanas so I dunno why cathayan is all of a sudden Chinese now? Was it always Chinese and I'm dumb?

Cathay always had a Chinese influence. Nippon was the Japanese influenced nation. not to be confused with actual Nippon ofc; totally original do not steal

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Also Cathay is just what China was called in English until 19th century.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh ok, makes sense.

I dunno why there's so much hate for swordsmen, they are perfectly adequate linesman.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhanmadao as just one example

But yeah Cathay has always been China. Araby has been the only explicitly deconfirmed TW faction, which makes it very funny when people keep that hope alive lol

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmmmm....

*eyes Old World map increasingly frantically, Ceddin Deden growing louder in the background*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azran posted:

Araby has been the only explicitly deconfirmed TW faction, which makes it very funny when people keep that hope alive lol

There's a lot of events and items in the game that refer to Araby, and an entire Arabyan character (Balthazar Gelt).

:shrug:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tilia looks like there is room for a faction especially since norsca has a tech for them like every other faction.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Balthazar Gelt is from Araby just because it's a reference to one of three wise men from the Bible, one of whom was later named as Balthazar and said to have been the king of Arabia.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Tilia looks like there is room for a faction especially since norsca has a tech for them like every other faction.

dogs of war, Dogs Of War, DOGS OF WAR

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I know it's just because GW's internal data says they don't sell as well but lol at GW not including either Lizardmen or Skaven, their two most unique armies, in the old world core races. At least they got Tomb Kings right.

Teen me was edgy and played VC/Dark Elves so he would also be disappointed, but from what I've heard 8E VC would not have interested me, a Von Carstein hater, at all anyway. Kinda like VC in this game in that way! I guess since I'm not gonna play old world either way this just proves GW right in who they're targetting though.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Surprised that Skaven dont tbh

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they may actually not have internal data. they scoffed at data collection for a long long time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Surprised that Skaven dont tbh

the problem with skaven table top is I am not painting 500 rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and thats why they made aos