Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tribbledirigible posted:

It might be a software thing, where the job queue doesn't get communicated properly to the printer. Try updating firmware if it's available.

If it were pulling multiple sheets at the same time or just a little bit offset, then it could a feed/ separator roller issue. I'm not sure it's replaceable on that level model.

Is it happening with just print jobs from your pc or copies/scans from the automatic feeder on the top? Or both?

I've only noticed it on prints from the PC, but I don't run jobs directly from the printer (eg copies) very often, since we have an enormous color laser xerox that's faster for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I saw the words "enormous colour laser xerox" and was summonded to the thread two days late because I'm on my holiday

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We have a HP Color LaserJet M554, and it says it's time for new toner. I just expected to be able to buy some non-HP cartridges at a fourth of the cost, but the pickings seem slim. Only place I found was a dodgy German webshop with instructions on how to move a chip from the old OEM cartridge.

What's the skinny on non-original toner for this model of printer? I'm 100% OK with toner levels not being reported, as long as it prints.

All four CMYK colors are at 10% or lower, it'll cost more than the printer did to replace them all with OEM.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I can't speak to your model of printer but the general thread consensus on non-legit toner is use at your own risk. It might be fine or it might spill out internally

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I want to buy a new multifunction printer/scanner for home office use and have a 1k CHF voucher for a specific shop. I'm personally ambivalent to whether it prints in colour, but my partner would like the option, and she'll be moving back to freelancing shortly so that's in the spec.

We're replacing a 10 year old Samsung multifunction laser that is mechanically fine but no longer possible to get drivers for, and also impossible to get to connect to a network.

It's not going to get used very much but I'd very much like it to Just Work when it's needed. Especially given the vouchers I don't really care how much it costs but it's going to live under my partner's desk so it can't be huge (like the Brother 8000 series look).

I think I've narrowed the choice down to a HP MFP M479DW or a Brother MFC-L3750CDW.

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_hp-mfp-m479dw-1954135.html

https://www.mediamarkt.ch/de/product/_brother-mfc-l3750cdw-1862236.html

Absent anything else I think I prefer the HP but I see the thread is pretty pro-Brother. Is one preferable over the other or anything else I need to consider? Any other options I need to look at for a solid home office printer?

Main use case will be scanning and printing any work docs or personal admin docs, mainly from PCs but I guess potentially from my macbook, ipad or iphone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

I want to buy a new multifunction printer/scanner for home office use and have a 1k CHF voucher for a specific shop. I'm personally ambivalent to whether it prints in colour, but my partner would like the option, and she'll be moving back to freelancing shortly so that's in the spec.

We're replacing a 10 year old Samsung multifunction laser that is mechanically fine but no longer possible to get drivers for, and also impossible to get to connect to a network.

It's not going to get used very much but I'd very much like it to Just Work when it's needed. Especially given the vouchers I don't really care how much it costs but it's going to live under my partner's desk so it can't be huge (like the Brother 8000 series look).

I think I've narrowed the choice down to a HP MFP M479DW or a Brother MFC-L3750CDW.

Absent anything else I think I prefer the HP but I see the thread is pretty pro-Brother. Is one preferable over the other or anything else I need to consider? Any other options I need to look at for a solid home office printer?

Main use case will be scanning and printing any work docs or personal admin docs, mainly from PCs but I guess potentially from my macbook, ipad or iphone.

Out of those two I would say HP. Just make sure the firmware is up to date, HP publish them every semester or so if the printer is supported.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ordered!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Have a copier on a site I don't support that keeps making GBS threads out yellow backgrounds on prints. I've sent an engineer in twice and it's always fine when they leave and then mysteriously returns a few hours later. It's always intermittent. Might just throw it to level two support and wash my hands of it

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I need a laser printer I can attach to Ethernet and hide in the corner for whenever I need to print forms or documents, tickets, etc.

Would not mind a suggestion for a multifunction model as well that can scan those forms once I’ve filled them out.

I assume brother is still the way to go but there’s a buncha models out there.

Edit: off the cuff this guy seems to tick the boxes but I’m not clear if model to model their stuff is all equally good.

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/HLL2395DW

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 19, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you need a scanner or can you get away with using one of the various apps on your phone to take a picture of a document and process it as a PDF?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

drat, the Church of Brother Monochrome Printers is bigger than I thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/13/best-printer-2023-review-canon-hp-brother/

Peep the comments. 320 comments nearly all agreeing that Brother is the best.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Thanks Ants posted:

Do you need a scanner or can you get away with using one of the various apps on your phone to take a picture of a document and process it as a PDF?

I’ve never tried using one of those, if they’re worth a poo poo that would prob suffice yeah.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

knox_harrington posted:

Facebook Aunt posted:

drat, the Church of Brother Monochrome Printers is bigger than I thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/13/best-printer-2023-review-canon-hp-brother/

Peep the comments. 320 comments nearly all agreeing that Brother is the best.

I have the 3750CDW and could not be more happy with it, it's like my third Brother printer, never turning back. If I did it all over again I would go with the 3770 for duplex scanning.

One thing that I love about it is iOS support is great, I wouldn't call my husband tech illiterate or tech adverse, he can figure it out if he has to, he just doesn't want to. Between the Brother App and our Synology NAS he has been using just his iPad in the house for like a few years now and not heard one complaint about something not working or he can't figure out how to scan something, etc, it's just solid.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Have a copier on a site I don't support that keeps making GBS threads out yellow backgrounds on prints. I've sent an engineer in twice and it's always fine when they leave and then mysteriously returns a few hours later. It's always intermittent. Might just throw it to level two support and wash my hands of it

it's still making copies yellow, and it's now having its *fourth* call raised. If I had attended a machine three times and still not fixed it, I would be on the receiving end of an almighty bollocking

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

What kind of machine is it? The newer HP toners on their enterprise series have had issues with waste toner spill, with yellow being the last toner cartridge to encounter the paper and coincidentally is right next to the waste toner box. I've changed out yellow toners and still got the same result then checked the waste toner and it was just piled up enough to cause the random color hit, but since it hasn't hit the counted number of pages that the waste box is rated for, doesn't show up as needing to be replaced.

Or, and this is rare, the media being copied is so old, the paper has discolored enough to be sometimes interpreted as yellow by the scanner. These are engineering drawings from 90s.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

At work we have a fancy HP Designjet.
Spent two hours on friday to figure out the printhead broke. :eng99:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ticket: "every time I try and scan this document, it fails because it says the job and fragment are too big"
me, checking the manual: "just double the size of the file"
user, after I tell them to try again: "it's 190 pages double sided"
me: "yeah, that would be why"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

this is a new one: was configuring a black and white A3 copier before it goes onto a double secret network, so I was going through and checking that the warehouse had done all of the pre-configuring like they were supposed to. Get to check the USB settings and the copier turns the USB ports off. Weird, but I go back in and set all of the settings to on, and as I save it the copier turns the ports off again. I try various combinations and the copier will not keep the USB ports on, which is a pretty big deal as every printer has a USB card reader to log in with (this machine was shipped without a card reader, much to my amusement)

Decide to do a mid level return to default settings and it still keeps turning the ports off. Do a full nuclear factory default wipe and after I manage to un-brick it the copier is still turning its USB ports off when attempting to turn them on. So on a hunch I grab a clone from a completely different machine which has its USB ports on, drop that on this piece of poo poo and the USB ports stay on. I fully configure the device, taking care not to go any where near the USB settings and after two and a half hours it works. Why did it take two and a half hours? Because this model requires a reboot every time you look at it funny, but also because the various servers I need to access to get it on the network involve taking two remote desktop connections to get to, and then I have to drop the final one to get to a different, yet required, print server

tribbledirigible posted:

What kind of machine is it? The newer HP toners on their enterprise series have had issues with waste toner spill, with yellow being the last toner cartridge to encounter the paper and coincidentally is right next to the waste toner box. I've changed out yellow toners and still got the same result then checked the waste toner and it was just piled up enough to cause the random color hit, but since it hasn't hit the counted number of pages that the waste box is rated for, doesn't show up as needing to be replaced.

Or, and this is rare, the media being copied is so old, the paper has discolored enough to be sometimes interpreted as yellow by the scanner. These are engineering drawings from 90s.

oh this wasn't a spill, it was turning the entire background of the scan solid yellow. It's an issue when the scanner control board starts to die, but it normally turns the background blue as opposed to yellow. A software fix was deployed on slightly older models to eliminate it, but this yellow error is on newer models and the same, yet different

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ok, I've got some weird and kind of specific needs.

I'm an artist, and would like the option of making nicer prints/postcards at home. I've done hours of research, and I'm pulling my hair out.

My needs are:

1) Good color range and coverage- no streaking

2) Can handle unusual or thicker substrates

3) Something with an eco- tank esque deal would be perfect, but even the high- end ones I've found have streaking issues.

I'm not fussy about how fast it prints, nor do I need it to have its own editing suite. I just want something that prints nicely, the quality of the print is literally what matters more than any other feature.

Dealbreakers:

1) depending on a mobile app/only being controlled via wireless means

2) needing an internet signal to function- I've never lived in an area with more internet issues than this one, I swear.

I know it's a long shot even asking here, but if anyone has experience, I would highly appreciate it. I know this isn't a cheap ask.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Three Olives posted:

I have the 3750CDW and could not be more happy with it, it's like my third Brother printer, never turning back. If I did it all over again I would go with the 3770 for duplex scanning.

I am probably gonna go from 2700DW to 2750DW because I do really want double-sided scanning, and brother has a simplex-feed (I think is the term?) where it just goes through vs others like canon where it goes front-back and reverses like a double-sided print. the competition is stuff like the fujitsu scansnap and similar, and those are nice but also expensive etc. like it's just as cheap to upgrade to a duplex-scanner AIO printer and try to flip my old one probably, and now I still have one thing instead of two catching dust.

being able to scan records both-sides at once from a single document feed is super nice and this jams less because it's a straight feed.

I have agonized about getting a 8900CDW if it was worth it, and apart from feeding multiple stocks/trays, ehhh. And the paper handling weight is actually less on the 8900CDW than the 2750DW. The B+W feed path is stronger or whatever, if you're feeding cardstock. The 2750DW does what I need and tbh I don't really think the color is probably worth the squeeze on cost / etc.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DicktheCat posted:

I'm an artist, and would like the option of making nicer prints/postcards at home. I've done hours of research, and I'm pulling my hair out.

My needs are:

3) Something with an eco- tank esque deal would be perfect, but even the high- end ones I've found have streaking issues.

I'm not fussy about how fast it prints, nor do I need it to have its own editing suite. I just want something that prints nicely, the quality of the print is literally what matters more than any other feature.

Dealbreakers:

2) needing an internet signal to function- I've never lived in an area with more internet issues than this one, I swear.

I know it's a long shot even asking here, but if anyone has experience, I would highly appreciate it. I know this isn't a cheap ask.

It sounds like you want a dedicated photo printer, and they tend to be less reliant on Internet crap that stuff aimed at general consumer use. I haven't dug into it recently, but back when I did a lot of photography I had a Canon photo printer that held its own against photographic enlargements up to 11x14", and often looked better than stuff I got from the photographic place I used.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DicktheCat posted:

My needs are:

Dealbreakers:

You will be much happier going to a print shop to have work done on a professional machine than trying to get anything consumer grade to print on heavy stock and actually look good.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It sounds like you want a dedicated photo printer, and they tend to be less reliant on Internet crap that stuff aimed at general consumer use. I haven't dug into it recently, but back when I di1d a lot of photography I had a Canon photo printer that held its own against photographic enlargements up to 11x14", and often looked better than stuff I got from the photographic place I used.

Thanks for the tip, I've looked at several Canon printers, and a few Epson ones.

I'm in a weird spot where I don't need the volumes a big print shop does (100+ prints) of any given image, but need very good prints of several smaller batches.

Frankly, I'm not going to get out of this without spending a stupid amount of money.

Peachfart posted:

You will be much happier going to a print shop to have work done on a professional machine than trying to get anything consumer grade to print on heavy stock and actually look good.

Sadly, I'm doing very specific things, and am in a situation where it's more expedient to grit my teeth and shell out a few thousand dollars for at least a "prosumer" grade machine, if not a fully professional one. It is tax deductible, at the very least, being a business purchase.

I do patronize the local printer, but have the issue of needing a medium volume of many things, rather than a massive backstock of one image.

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 15, 2023

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

Thanks for the tip, I've looked at several Canon printers, and a few Epson ones.

I'm in a weird spot where I don't need the volumes a big print shop does (100+ prints) of any given image, but need very good prints of several smaller batches.

Frankly, I'm not going to get out of this without spending a stupid amount of money.

Sadly, I'm doing very specific things, and am in a situation where it's more expedient to grit my teeth and shell out a few thousand dollars for at least a "prosumer" grade machine, if not a fully professional one. It is tax deductible, at the very least, being a business purchase.

I do patronize the local printer, but have the issue of needing a medium volume of many things, rather than a massive backstock of one image.

It sounds like you would have to go with at least the Canon ImagePROGRAF series or a similar grade machine from Epson. It might fit well with your volume. The last time I had a customer using them, they were either using too much, which led to printhead failure, or too little, which led to...printhead failure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would something like an Epson SC-P700 fit the bill?

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I need to source a good B&W laser printer for printing label sheets (it needs a manual feed slot) and nothing else. So, no multifunction, just straight printing. Needs USB connectivity.

Priority goes to ease of use and durability. So I don't mind paying more for a quality unit, vs. The cheapest HP printer.

My boss has zero tolerance for poo poo not working, hence the demand for ease of use/durability. Mostly because he's a hard working guy that needs his technology to keep up with him, rather than slow him down. We have big office multifunctions, and plotter printers and all kinds of sophisticated poo poo, but he hates them because they're constantly bogged down with little problems that are easy to fix, but just interrupts getting poo poo done.

Quick look I'm thinking the Brother HL-2370DW, or the Canon LBP236dw. The HP stuff seems to require proprietary software or doesn't like to wake up from sleep mode, so gently caress them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fatrick posted:

I need to source a good B&W laser printer for printing label sheets (it needs a manual feed slot) and nothing else. So, no multifunction, just straight printing. Needs USB connectivity.

Priority goes to ease of use and durability. So I don't mind paying more for a quality unit, vs. The cheapest HP printer.

My boss has zero tolerance for poo poo not working, hence the demand for ease of use/durability. Mostly because he's a hard working guy that needs his technology to keep up with him, rather than slow him down. We have big office multifunctions, and plotter printers and all kinds of sophisticated poo poo, but he hates them because they're constantly bogged down with little problems that are easy to fix, but just interrupts getting poo poo done.

Quick look I'm thinking the Brother HL-2370DW, or the Canon LBP236dw. The HP stuff seems to require proprietary software or doesn't like to wake up from sleep mode, so gently caress them.

We purchased a fleet of brother QL720NW and dropped using label sheets in a rather similar scenario. The printers have no consumables beside brother QL label rolls, which cost very little when purchased in bulk.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

We're using specialized wrap around labels for cabling, so we get them on sheets. We have label printers for individuals to but the label costs are way higher, like 10x per label vs. a 8.5x11 sheet of labels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A more basic model with a simpler and non-expandable paper path will most likely be more reliable and less prone to jamming, than a model that can be expanded with additional paper trays or finishing features.
It's probably best to get a model where you can tune the heat of the fuser, since label sheets might require different settings than regular copy paper.

I know we have lasers around the place dedicated for printing on special label stock, but I don't remember the model number. I think they're a relatively basic HP model.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can your label supplier give you the labels on rolls rather than sheets? A thermal transfer printer like a Zebra will do a better job of this. Brady also make printers dedicated to labelling and you can feed things like heatshrink tube into them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Can your label supplier give you the labels on rolls rather than sheets? A thermal transfer printer like a Zebra will do a better job of this. Brady also make printers dedicated to labelling and you can feed things like heatshrink tube into them.

Brother has a dedicated program for labeling wires in their less complex PT series

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=p900weus&faqid=faqp00100256_000

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Adhesives and fuser units/exit rollers are going to be an issue too. Over time, the adhesive will build up, causing failure. This is from the label sheet slightly expanding at the label edges as it goes through the rollers and a bit of adhesive gets out.

There used to be OKI printers where you could fold down a manual feed tray and an output tray to get the flatest paper path, but I'm not sure what's current these days.

A lot of the parts departments I had been going to use an AMT Datasouth vinyl printer or A Zebra.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW which seems to be really fussy with wireless network printing.

I have a couple PCs on my home network which can see it, but never seem to be able to print on it and another 2 that when they go to print, an error comes up that Windows had a problem printing, but it actually does print.

Does anyone with Brother experience know if there some janky wifi settings or something I need to tweak? I do have my main PC hooked up via USB and it's fine, but the printer doesn't have a network port for hardwiring to a hub (which I do have close by)... alternatively, is there such thing as a RJ45-USB printer cable I could use more reliably?

Mrs. Slidebite emails documents to me or whatever which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Please don't get hung up on the rolls and labels thing. It's the solution we're using for many reasons. Rolls are all proprietary, using a proprietary printer, which we have, and do use, but it is expensive and slow. If we want to use a generic printer for volume printing, it's on 8.5x11 sheets. I can pre print 1000 labels and put them in a binder in 5 minutes by sheet. Or print 100 labels in an hour on a strip that I can't put into a binder in any organized way, and it'll cost me more in resources to do it, not just time.

This is what we're printing on:

https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html

We've used laser printers before for this with this product, we've never had issues with the fuser messing up the labels.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

I have a Brother HL-L3290CDW which seems to be really fussy with wireless network printing.

I have a couple PCs on my home network which can see it, but never seem to be able to print on it and another 2 that when they go to print, an error comes up that Windows had a problem printing, but it actually does print.

Does anyone with Brother experience know if there some janky wifi settings or something I need to tweak? I do have my main PC hooked up via USB and it's fine, but the printer doesn't have a network port for hardwiring to a hub (which I do have close by)... alternatively, is there such thing as a RJ45-USB printer cable I could use more reliably?

Mrs. Slidebite emails documents to me or whatever which is a bit of a pain in the rear end.

Side-grade to a -DN suffixed model. Those designate just an ethernet port on the back.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Fatrick posted:

Please don't get hung up on the rolls and labels thing. It's the solution we're using for many reasons. Rolls are all proprietary, using a proprietary printer, which we have, and do use, but it is expensive and slow. If we want to use a generic printer for volume printing, it's on 8.5x11 sheets. I can pre print 1000 labels and put them in a binder in 5 minutes by sheet. Or print 100 labels in an hour on a strip that I can't put into a binder in any organized way, and it'll cost me more in resources to do it, not just time.

https://www.panduit.com/en/products/signs-labels-identification/labels-markers-printers/desktop-printer-labels/s100x225yaj.html

We've used laser printers before for this with this product, we've never had issues with the fuser messing up the labels.

From your original post, I'd go with the Canon LBP236dw, HPs are just reshelled Canon machines anyway. It's simpler to change out the supply for your boss, and lasts longer too. The Brother toner tops out at 3k+, which might give him an impression of it not lasting as long.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fatrick posted:

I think people are just being cautious because you've mentioned reliability. The 2.25x1" labels that you linked are available on a roll (S100X225VATY) and Newark lists them at $600/5000 with the label sheets at $220/1000.

Anyway, in terms of desktop printers the best one I can see that would suit your requirements is the OKI B412dn which has a manual feed front tray, and you can flip the rear tray down so the paper path is as straight as possible, and you can put a 7000 page toner into it.

Edit: Actually ignore that, I had no idea they pulled out the US market.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

I think people are just being cautious because you've mentioned reliability. The 2.25x1" labels that you linked are available on a roll (S100X225VATY) and Newark lists them at $600/5000 with the label sheets at $220/1000.

Anyway, in terms of desktop printers the best one I can see that would suit your requirements is the OKI B412dn which has a manual feed front tray, and you can flip the rear tray down so the paper path is as straight as possible, and you can put a 7000 page toner into it.

Edit: Actually ignore that, I had no idea they pulled out the US market.

In our locale all OKI are rebadged Ricoh anyways, so maybe they stopped importing them to reduce confusion.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
If we are doing label printer chat, I bought a used Dymo Labelwriter for my home like $50 after using one at the office, it is so handy, use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Phomemo-Blue...286&sr=8-3&th=1

Also have one of these, labels and printer were dirt cheap, perfect for labeling food and cables, it even has special labels for cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tribbledirigible posted:

Side-grade to a -DN suffixed model. Those designate just an ethernet port on the back.

Boy, I'd really rather not have to buy a new printer :(