Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That Works posted:

This is too much like EvE multiboxing

I'd been thinking more ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

bulletsponge13 posted:

I wonder what the rate of PTSD symptoms are between 'regular' drone operators and FPV operators.

I would guess it's worse among 'regular'. FPV drones have shittier cameras and you necessarily don't see the aftermath, even if you can identify anything beyond "valid target" before it explodes. The observation operators have to see everything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

That Works posted:

This is too much like EvE multiboxing

"Did Eve Predict Modern Peer Warfare?" Read my new article on War on the Rocks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When you compare the unit cost of an attack drone with the unit cost of a 155mm shell suddenly 'what if we just made a million of them?' becomes a very interesting question.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/20576

quote:

According to reports, a tussle between two units fighting for Russia escalated from a knife brawl to a full-on shooting match with grenade launchers and automatic weapons.

"Tussle" is a funny word for what starts with people trying to stab each other.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

M_Gargantua posted:

"Did Eve Predict Modern Peer Warfare?" Read my new article on War on the Rocks.

both certainly attest to the power of spreadsheets

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

certainly the spreadsheet side of things

War never changes, it was always spreadsheets

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xakura posted:

War never changes, it was always spreadsheets

It was clay tablets once.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Lone Badger posted:

It was clay tablets once.

also strings

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

This is a Scandinavian metal band logo, right?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

fartknocker posted:

This is a Scandinavian metal band logo, right?

In case you're not joking, that's a quipu, a recording system used by Andran cultures including the Inca.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Alchenar posted:

When you compare the unit cost of an attack drone with the unit cost of a 155mm shell suddenly 'what if we just made a million of them?' becomes a very interesting question.

Except that they are vastly different weapons with only minor overlapping capabilities.

What you don’t see in YouTube videos is how artillery is used to shape the battlefield. A single gun line can have a dozen pre registered targets, miles apart, that all deny the enemy access to that space. Four howitzers can effortlessly scale volume and duration of fire to suit the needs of the mission (which again, is often reminding people that’s it’s a real bad idea to try going that direction).

The need to arm and launch all of these drones by hand and everything being tied 1:1 drone:operator means scaling attacks is resource intensive and complicated. Maybe there is some tech I don’t know about that lets a single operator control a dozen or more of these that get held in a pattern near where the targets are and are handed off to another operator as needed?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Pretty sure we could put drones in a 155mm package.

Its a terrible idea, but we could.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hekk posted:

The need to arm and launch all of these drones by hand and everything being tied 1:1 drone:operator means scaling attacks is resource intensive and complicated. Maybe there is some tech I don’t know about that lets a single operator control a dozen or more of these that get held in a pattern near where the targets are and are handed off to another operator as needed?
I am no drone programmer but it seems straightforward to launch a gaggle of these (how do you do this? I dunno but launching ten or twenty at a time seems like a solvable issue) and either have the operator designate a waypoint for them to loiter around, presumably circling like birds, or else take control of one and have it designated as the 'lead' drone that others follow. Not much to crash into in the sky.

Your main issue would seem to be having reliable communications with the drones. Satellites or nearby control centers will help. Hope Elon Musk approves of your operation! :v:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nessus posted:

I am no drone programmer but it seems straightforward to launch a gaggle of these (how do you do this? I dunno but launching ten or twenty at a time seems like a solvable issue) and either have the operator designate a waypoint for them to loiter around, presumably circling like birds, or else take control of one and have it designated as the 'lead' drone that others follow. Not much to crash into in the sky.

Your main issue would seem to be having reliable communications with the drones. Satellites or nearby control centers will help. Hope Elon Musk approves of your operation! :v:

Most fpv quads lack the hardware for independent flying (Barometer and gps) but that could certainly be added if there was a need. I'm very skeptical of doing terminal guidance over satellite, you need really fine and responsive controls to not just lose it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Xakura posted:

Most fpv quads lack the hardware for independent flying (Barometer and gps) but that could certainly be added if there was a need. I'm very skeptical of doing terminal guidance over satellite, you need really fine and responsive controls to not just lose it.

I'd probably try to develop a drone to work as a relay, it could help with the FPV drones losing signal at the last seconds when they get close to ground.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

True. Seems like you could designate a point and say “five of you hit that” and let the AI do the FSD thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Artillery shells are far easier to mass produce than drones, which (at least in their current form) rely on lithium batteries and would be highly susceptible to supply chain disruptions in a major war.

And then there's the rapid-fire capabilities of artillery, which have already been pointed out. Maybe future technologies will let the drone operator pilot a swarm of drones together while someone shift-clicks targets on a screen or something, but today it's not possible to get the kind of massed-fires you do with artillery.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 15, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTifvVZBNWs

The agility of these goddamn things is horrifying.

A good pilot could put this into a bedroom window or moving car sunroof. Gets a tad trickier with more mass, but not a ton, those brushless motors are powerful.

Edit: I had a ton of fun building these and flying them around but you're at the whim of your signal strength and loving oblivious to everything else when concentrating on flying it. I don't know how those pilots aren't making GBS threads their pants, losing all situational battlefield awareness :gonk:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

A good pilot could put this into a bedroom window or moving car sunroof. Gets a tad trickier with more mass, but not a ton, those brushless motors are powerful.

Edit: I had a ton of fun building these and flying them around but you're at the whim of your signal strength and loving oblivious to everything else when concentrating on flying it. I don't know how those pilots aren't making GBS threads their pants, losing all situational battlefield awareness :gonk:

Earlier in the war the Ukrainians released a short video of racing drones doing just that very thing, including flying into a TOC. I've seen some other FPS drone footage of them putting their payloads through open car windows. There was a propaganda/news piece (I don't know the veracity of it, but the way I saw both ends of the spectrum try and color it made me feel like it was straight propaganda of some sort) of them teaching school aged kids how to fly the various forms of drones including FPS, in school.

War is scary now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Having thought about this a bit in the past I came to the freaky conclusion that we now have a form of real-life Shadowrun deckers. They probably hole up somewhere not in the immediately-get-shot line, near some frendlies, do their remote drone pilot thing and if stuff back in the meat space reality start to go pear shaped someone yells at them to get the gently caress out of the matrix FPV.

I still want my dragon president god dammit.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Earlier in the war the Ukrainians released a short video of racing drones doing just that very thing, including flying into a TOC. I've seen some other FPS drone footage of them putting their payloads through open car windows. There was a propaganda/news piece (I don't know the veracity of it, but the way I saw both ends of the spectrum try and color it made me feel like it was straight propaganda of some sort) of them teaching school aged kids how to fly the various forms of drones including FPS, in school.

War is scary now.

Well there's this as far as actual policy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukrainian-kids-learn-mine-safety-russian-children-learn-drones-guns-2023-8

But certainly learning or teaching about drones and drone racing in 2023 Ukraine carries a certain understanding around it (plainly stated or otherwise)

I also got a chuckle over the last ~page of the thread highlighting how military scope creep works in detail regarding drones. "Surely they should add this capability. And if it's doing that, then they could have them do this? Well, it would make sense to have them do this other thing then!"

And you end up with this expensive network-meshed long-duration loitering swarm-capable etc. etc. compared to the disposable flying RPG warhead

Victis fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 15, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drone operators are called Riggers!!!! Not Deckers graaaaagh!!!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Even "tablets since PreK" gen Alpha's won't make race quality FPV pilots. Your drone pilot will be like a 3x per company level skill, and most of them will be flying those little fixed wing ISR drones. Much easier and cheaper to use one to call in a JDAM/Excalibur/etc on a designated target from a higher echelon platform.

FPV support I think will be most beneficial in urban combat environments where you need eyes inside windows and rooms. FPV Recon and FPV Frag will be useful for clearing buildings. If anything is out in the open there are better smart munitions.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Artillery shells are far easier to mass produce than drones, which (at least in their current form) rely on lithium batteries and would be highly susceptible to supply chain disruptions in a major war.

And then there's the rapid-fire capabilities of artillery, which have already been pointed out. Maybe future technologies will let the drone operator pilot a swarm of drones together while someone shift-clicks targets on a screen or something, but today it's not possible to get the kind of massed-fires you do with artillery.

Just looking at the article below it's probably far from as fast and responsive as artillery but volume of fire is no problem currently.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2020/10/14/china-releases-video-of-new-barrage-swarm-drone-launcher/amp/

Now imagine those 48 drones flying on autopilot to a squad on the frontline where a couple of squad members gets to poke at a screen to direct them down the fox holes and bunkers of their targets. Increase the loitering time and add some target recognition AI and they will become an effective area denial too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trench warfare with manhacks sounds terrible

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What is an artillery shell but a super fast one way drone?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Why not just forget the AI and have the drones outfitted with thermals and just roam an area searching for targets.

Now your area of engagement is many square miles and you, some rear end in a top hat scraped off the streets of moscow, randomly see your buddies explode, and it doesn't matter where you hide, day or night.

No need to expend a thousand drones at a time, you can't advance into that. Hell, you can't even defend against that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

not caring here posted:

Why not just forget the AI and have the drones outfitted with thermals and just roam an area searching for targets.

Now your area of engagement is many square miles and you, some rear end in a top hat scraped off the streets of moscow, randomly see your buddies explode, and it doesn't matter where you hide, day or night.

No need to expend a thousand drones at a time, you can't advance into that. Hell, you can't even defend against that.

That sounds terrifying

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So basically a longer lasting version of that thermalseeking frisbee shaped charge cluster bomb

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Flikken posted:

That sounds terrifying

And cheap!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Isn't that just a flying mine at that point?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

not caring here posted:

AI is needed for thermal targeting too, otherwise the intended targets can just light a couple of fires to deplete the loitering munitions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Terror campaigns seem to literally never work, so this tactic would accomplish less than young Oleg chipping in and flying the drone up Putins rear end.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh god, the Reformers are going to be proven right if we can get the drones to convincingly mimic birds to radar systems

Science has gone too far

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

not caring here posted:

sounds like a great way to accidentally a bunch of warcrimes / civilian deaths

also this

Zudgemud posted:

AI is needed for thermal targeting too, otherwise the intended targets can just light a couple of fires to deplete the loitering munitions.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh no, this is old school poo poo, FPV or bust. Human eyes only.

And then you've got some poor moscow rear end in a top hat who managed to get back in relatively one piece, and now he's flooded by poo poo on TikTok and IG with Ukraine chopping up videos, one FPV drone witnesses another doing sweet stuntin' drone kills. You see a video of a drone literally cartwheeling into your buddy and turning him to raspberry jam with a cartoon SHAZAM edited over the top, or a drone hitting 300 km/h and doing a deadstick throttle off lob at another of your friends from 200 metres out, rips off his legs. Then you realize your whole unit got merced for some Telegram drone stuntin' ads for the enemy.

Cool times, cool times.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

not caring here posted:

I gotta big tub of jello and an aquarium heater. I also have a thermal blanket so your drone can't find me.

There, I beat your warcriming with 50.00 of stuff from Walmart.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You want some real horror, now you've got hold of some hyperspectral cameras for your drones. They aren't cheap, but you're looking dudes who are hiding away somehwere. You modify the filter wavelengths to track reductions in photosynthesis in the grass, and now you are tracking soldiers like you were the goddamn Predator. You see foot steps lead to a vehicle husk or cave, and you just lob it in and do the needful. Or get other buzzers to come in because those hyper spectrals are about 50k a pop, and we're on a budget. Gotta get those KPI's up.

By the way if anyone thinks I am endorsing any of this, I am not. But this is all possible with current levels of technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Nukes are the best deterrent per dollar you can get.
Not sure about that.
:10bux: bought me the privilege of telling ladies I'm a something awful poster.