Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Edit: oh yeah he also sent dick pics to a 12 year old so no I'm really not jealous of him

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And yet that “there must be a way to find the geeks and gamers in this crowd” comic languishes in obscurity. There’s no justice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

buckley is living his dream and making money drawing unfunny comics... jealous?

The "jealous?" thing is a good bit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

buckley is living his dream and making money drawing unfunny comics... jealous?

Not after what Kaiser said but not even really before that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I AM GRANDO posted:

And yet that “there must be a way to find the geeks and gamers in this crowd” comic languishes in obscurity. There’s no justice.

I knew exactly which one you meant, and it's even worse than I remember.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
best imo:

i even drew it once bc i think about it so much

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 14, 2023

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
game spoot

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I miss having fun.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

The "jealous?" thing is a good bit

sarcastic?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

No, man, it's a good bit

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

best imo:

i even drew it once bc i think about it so much

Why is cheese looking at a person. Is it meant to be cheese? If not what is it?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Fil5000 posted:

Why is cheese looking at a person. Is it meant to be cheese? If not what is it?

It's supposed to be a faceless crowd but it's way too undetailed for the abstraction so you get the Laser Cheese.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 14, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this corner of the youtube sphere doesn't get much coverage in this thread, but linus media group (the big youtube fish in terms of pc building/hobbyist stuff) got torn apart by a smaller channel with a very strong journalistic integrity pedigree over their gently caress ups today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGW3TPytTjc

45 minutes of drama!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I remember when people tried to say CAD had vastly improved because it had progressive politics. I didn't believe those people but I checked it out of curiosity and it was just as terrible as before, but the xbox robot was talking about pronouns.

If you're covered in a thousand ants and a hundred of them fall over dead, that's technically an improvement even if you're still covered in ants.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ZH_yh4DMA

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Captain Invictus posted:

from what she says that dog is basically a sheep-shaped landmine for any predators, they try to go in on the flock and find the 100lb beast hidden amongst the throng, so I totally get wanting that kind of dog specifically. looks like it's getting a lot of work, too, what a good boy. and for a first dog, they really trained it well for what she says is a very troublesome-with-strangers breed

A Q-dog, one could say.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

this corner of the youtube sphere doesn't get much coverage in this thread, but linus media group (the big youtube fish in terms of pc building/hobbyist stuff) got torn apart by a smaller channel with a very strong journalistic integrity pedigree over their gently caress ups today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGW3TPytTjc

45 minutes of drama!

I never caught when people started respecting that man/group/LTT. I get that it happened, but when and how totally eludes me

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arivia posted:

45 minutes of drama!

Linus has already posted a giant wall of text whiny screed in response that basically boils down to "why didn't Steve try to talk to me directly first before publishing this" (he did), "he shouldn't be mean to us because we need media solidarity" (lol) and "we didn't actually screw over the startup lab who sent us a prototype they expected back we instead trashed in the a video and then auctioned off, that was a mistake and we're totally gonna pay them back any day now, also don't you know that auction was for charity???" (:lol::lol::lol:)

Personally I recognize that Linus and all his associated channels/reviews are hot garbage and don't care that much about the drama, but I will say Steve and the GN crew are ridiculously strict when it comes to trying to be non-biased in their product reviews and testing, and I'm not surprised at this given Linus is the opposite of that and will run with sponsor ads for a product he's "independently" reviewing in the actual review video itself yet he still decided he'd take a shot across the bow and imply GN's testing wasn't as accurate as his.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
GN has a stupid name and I'm usually entirely uninterested in Tech Jesus' videos, but I respect the man for his rigour.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Megatron got Primal'd several times during Beast Wars and had to deal with a ton of incompetent lackeys who make Starscream look machiavellian

He had to deal with the actual Starscream once too.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
"We didn't sell your prototype we auctioned it for charity" is one of the silliest defenses I've heard in my life. What do you think an auction is?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I occasionally watched an LTT video if it autoplayed after something else and they always had the feel of "let's get this done so we can get onto the next one" about them. Based on this bullshit Linus and co can get in the bin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmfao

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Gamer's Nexus feels like it's stuck in the 90s but instead of making that everyone else's problem they just earnestly run with it and I respect that.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
do you want to watch an 80 minute video on olympic mascots? course you do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsH708lC6fE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No not really.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tinaun posted:

I watched it as soon as I saw it, and it's exactly what I wanted it to be.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arivia posted:

45 minutes of drama!

Anus Tech Tips.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
All I know about Linus is that bringing him up apparently gets you auto-probed in YOSPOS so I'd already figured that certain segments of the tech community don't like him very much.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LTT just got too big. When they where running it out of their house they where rapidly growing out of was imo the good times.
I don't think Linus is an actual merciless grade-A rear end in a top hat or anything, but the company has just gotten too big and he still treats it as his little vulnerable underdog company.

I still watch their more stupid/yanky solutions videos from time to time but this whole thing doesn't surprise me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

All I know about Linus is that bringing him up apparently gets you auto-probed in YOSPOS so I'd already figured that certain segments of the tech community don't like him very much.

That's a given, LTT does tech entertainment, not actual serious tech information. People who watch LTT without recognising that can be tremendously annoying.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

That's a given, LTT does tech entertainment, not actual serious tech information. People who watch LTT without recognising that can be tremendously annoying.

Part of the problem is that LTT thinks they're serious and has spent a bunch of money setting up a testing lab. But according to GN the numbers coming out are garbage from testing gently caress ups, or overworked editors trying to get the video done by a stupid deadline and putting the wrong numbers on the screen.

It's an issue when LTT presents themselves as a serious tech information source and is the utterly incompetent at it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
that video about LTT was interesting as a total outsider. the prototype thing is unfathomable and unforgivable lol. its almost malicious

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Veotax posted:

Part of the problem is that LTT thinks they're serious and has spent a bunch of money setting up a testing lab. But according to GN the numbers coming out are garbage from testing gently caress ups, or overworked editors trying to get the video done by a stupid deadline and putting the wrong numbers on the screen.

It's an issue when LTT presents themselves as a serious tech information source and is the utterly incompetent at it.

Yeah, the examples that GN uses illustrate pretty clearly what the problems are. Anyone with any sense would look at some of the outlier results they're getting and go "hold on, I ought to rerun that test, something weird clearly happened there", but instead they just push the video out and move onto the next thing and if you're lucky they'll post a comment correcting themselves, if you're REALLY lucky they'll pin that post and if you're the luckiest person ever they'll paste over the video without taking it down with the correction and never mention it.

fun hater posted:

that video about LTT was interesting as a total outsider. the prototype thing is unfathomable and unforgivable lol. its almost malicious

It's completely obnoxious, in what world do you just assume a one off prototype sent to you is yours to do as you want with? There's no way that thing wasn't sent with a bunch of notes on what they were and weren't ok to do with it, never mind the subsequent requests for it to be returned.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Since we are talking about tech youtube, I cringe whenever I see that wendel idiot talk about ZFS on related channels.

(One of my responsibilities at work is ZFS storage administration and planning)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

Since we are talking about tech youtube, I cringe whenever I see that wendel idiot talk about ZFS on related channels.

(One of my responsibilities at work is ZFS storage administration and planning)

I bought their supposed amazing KVM. It sucked. When I attempted to get support he said I shouldn't have expected it to work correctly.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

tinaun posted:

The 2024 mascot looks like a clitoris. And now you will never unseen it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

they also ban anime so I wouldn't put much stock in those dweebs :colbert:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Famethrowa posted:

LTT is my favorite anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

I always thought that was some cringey in-joke, but people sincerely report posts to tattle about anime content in YOSPOS. Like, whatever, but also lol.