Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You know Linus probably doesn't realize this but Steve did Linus a big solid by releasing the video on a Monday; if Steve actually wanted to cause issues he would have put it out Friday morning so Linus would be live on the wan show incriminating himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lister posted:

Ok, I'll break it down for you. One context is asking them what they want changed. The other context is saying that the stated concerns are proof that employees are being pushed to release content despite concerns about data or data collection. But it's not proof. It's an assumption GN is making based on a question it didn't ask and with answers it doesn't fully have. The most common critique was not "time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content." It was just generally saying they wish they had more time to work on videos or to release fewer videos. One person mentioned increasing quality.

What would they like to use that extra time on videos for? I wish I knew, but GN didn't ask them. Instead they just inferred what it meant.
Why does anyone want more time to do anything? Obviously it's quality, this isn't rocket science.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lister posted:

Ok, I'll break it down for you. One context is asking them what they want changed. The other context is saying that the stated concerns are proof that employees are being pushed to release content despite concerns about data or data collection. But it's not proof. It's an assumption GN is making based on a question it didn't ask and with answers it doesn't fully have. The most common critique was not "time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content." It was just generally saying they wish they had more time to work on videos or to release fewer videos. One person mentioned increasing quality.

you have a head injury

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Josh Lyman posted:

Definitely Gentoo. I can't believe a generation of nerds were duped into compiling our own distros circa 2001.

(I did learn a lot from it though :shobon: )

This has reawakened a trauma deep within me I had long forgotten.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Why does anyone want more time to do anything? Obviously it's quality, this isn't rocket science.

Maybe they meant more edits? Better jokes? Preventing informative errors? We can't know unless they're asked to clarify.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

you have a head injury

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

[vancouver_memorylane_hijack]
Remember that second hand PC/junk store on Canada Way? That place was amazing. Literally old boxed software and hardware from the 80s just stashed in ~wherever~

That can't still be there can it?
[/hijack]

Canada Way whereabouts? Despite living in the lower mainland for nigh on 20 years there are still some areas where i have yet to have gone and possibly that's one of them.

I'm glad I don't know of it because I'd probably buy an amiga 500/600/1200 for too much if they had one and then never use it lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Canada Way whereabouts? Despite living in the lower mainland for nigh on 20 years there are still some areas where i have yet to have gone and possibly that's one of them.

I'm glad I don't know of it because I'd probably buy an amiga 500/600/1200 for too much if they had one and then never use it lol

I'm also curious as to whether or not it's still around, since my office is on Canada Way and my apartment still has plenty of room for 40 year old computers...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Oh god, no I just realized, Grandview Highway, not Canada way. Somewhere between the Superstore and Naniamo if I had to guess.

They didn't have any Amiga poo poo IIRC (I would have totally gone broke) but they were absolutely littered with old XT/AT stuff from mid 80s on. Very little non "IBM" clone... but I do think I remember seeing the odd 8-bit and Atari ST item.

I'm going to have to do a Google street view to try and find where it was. I was last in there around 1998ish.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Oh god, no I just realized, Grandview Highway, not Canada way. Somewhere between the Superstore and Naniamo if I had to guess.

They didn't have any Amiga poo poo IIRC (I would have totally gone broke) but they were absolutely littered with old XT/AT stuff from mid 80s on. Very little non "IBM" clone... but I do think I remember seeing the odd 8-bit and Atari ST item.

I'm going to have to do a Google street view to try and find where it was. I was last in there around 1998ish.

Oh that stretch I know pretty good, but it doesn't ring a bell. The area is probably not very much changed apart from the skytrain, it's still all retail along there.. Appliances and furniture and pet stores etc. But I don't recall seeing a sign for that, it is something that would have pinged my brain for sure!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Entertainingly there's a Canada Computers maybe half a block down Grandview from the Superstore, kind of oddly offset back behind another building. I wonder if they're in that space that old store was in.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

whatis posted:

despite the more than 100 employees and his self-imposed CVO demotion, linus still thinks he is LMG and that LMG is him. the lack of separation between himself and this massive entity he's created has caused him issues for years and its just getting worse.

I work in an industry where virtually every major business is named "Founding Partners' Last Names", but my company's name is just "Object". Nearly every quarterly all hands meeting we do, the managing partner says "the reason the founder named it Object and not his last name is because he wanted to build an organization that would outlive him". It's cheesy, but looking at a company like LMG, it's clear there's a kernel of truth there.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Josh Lyman posted:

The thing is, believing it's possible they're actually not talking about wanting the time to be more thorough is actually far more damning than the way Steve is framing it.

He's presenting their comments as further evidence that time pressure is the main factor in leading to, as he says, 'nearly every video' containing significant errors. And again - further evidence. It's one thing to truly take the comments 'out of context' is if your video is wholly making the thesis that there is rot at LMG due to overwork and using those video snippets as the only evidence, but he doesn't - there's 30 minutes if rapid-fire fuckups of their own content.

Framing those comments as just additional backing of your argument that this incompetence is due to pressure is actually the most generous framing possible when the evidence is this overwhelming, it's saying this is due to work practices that can be changed, rather (than what I largely believe) due to the general attitude of the founder just not giving a poo poo. So, you believe they just want more time to goof around more in videos, fine. Then you're effectively saying they're incapable of recognizing substandard content. Ok?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i too would take ltt's word that a private individual has the block
Didn't Linus/LTT previously claim they couldn't get the block back?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lol if Linux gets dragged into an IP lawsuit because he sold auctioned their prototype to a competitor
Linus being a co-conspirator to IP theft would be a hilarious outcome to this, but I don't think it's likely.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Euphoriaphone posted:

I work in an industry where virtually every major business is named "Founding Partners' Last Names", but my company's name is just "Object". Nearly every quarterly all hands meeting we do, the managing partner says "the reason the founder named it Object and not his last name is because he wanted to build an organization that would outlive him". It's cheesy, but looking at a company like LMG, it's clear there's a kernel of truth there.

Well he's a youtuber that built the thing around his personality. There's a fun story Dan (his podcast producer) loves, which iirc has Linus showing a gaming area with the LTT logo prominently displayed to his employees. And he says something about LTT being about them. Somebody asks "Yeah? What does the L stands for?" and somebody else quips "It's L for Narcissist"

And let's not sell Linus short here, he does sell the channel pretty hard which is a big problem now that it's a big company doing much more than show his mug.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
We're a family at this business

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

Well he's a youtuber that built the thing around his personality. There's a fun story Dan (his podcast producer) loves, which iirc has Linus showing a gaming area with the LTT logo prominently displayed to his employees. And he says something about LTT being about them. Somebody asks "Yeah? What does the L stands for?" and somebody else quips "It's L for Narcissist"

it's a good clip:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLz12zfzUlM_owzzGoRU2DqKnYP8sg4Oy

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Charles Leclerc posted:

This has reawakened a trauma deep within me I had long forgotten.

Hey! I still use gentoo as my daily OS. There are dozens of us.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

atomicpile posted:

Hey! I still use gentoo as my daily OS. There are dozens of us.

--funroll-loops thyself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man I was going to reply to Lister about journalism poo poo and I typed a long thing and then my app crashed, so then I read the rest of the thread and thanks all for doing that for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

--funroll-loops thyself
i'm glad this is a meme https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/by-others/funroll-loops/Gentoo-is-Rice.html

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Funniest move would have been for GN to reach out for comment from LMG, but done from some incognito identity like when they review pre-built PCs from Walmart.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We're getting some good memes

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think it's pretty safe to say that the LTT community itself is by and large upset at this point. I just dipped into their forum out of curiosity and the first thing I read in the thread about the controversy was someone comparing this situation to a school shooting or terrorist attack. I can't even tell which side that poster was on, but either way its bad vibes at casa Linus

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If there's one thing nobody wants for anybody is suffering internet crazies.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Grumbles posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say that the LTT community itself is by and large upset at this point. I just dipped into their forum out of curiosity and the first thing I read in the thread about the controversy was someone comparing this situation to a school shooting or terrorist attack. I can't even tell which side that poster was on, but either way its bad vibes at casa Linus

At least half of the posts I've subjected myself to on the LTT Forums are critical of Linus and LTT. Even the people trying to defend him pretty much all agree that the Billet labs thing was incredibly lovely.

Also they've lost something like 3000 paid subscriptions since GN posted their first video. Even if you assume that's the old $5/month pricing, that's at least $15k in monthly revenue gone literally overnight.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Guess he should have paid the $300 or 400 or 500 or whatever, to re-test using the 3090 Ti.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

you have a head injury

Someone saying "I wish we had more time to make videos" in a fluff video about working at LMG can mean something. Maybe it means that person just works to work slower instead of always having to work on a constant variety of projects. Maybe it means the extra time could be used to reflect on the work that was done and consider ways to make videos better. Maybe this person just feels like the pace is stressful.

But putting that quote in a different video that makes the claim that LMG making significant mistakes from overwork, assumes what it specifically means because it was recontextualized. Journalists shouldn't assume what a quote means if there's any room for ambiguity. They should ask the people saying them what they meant. If you don't get that then I don't know how else to explain it.

The Grumbles posted:

Please stop. The job of a journalist isn't to represent 'both sides' of a story, it's to represent the truth. Not every story needs to be presented as some weird partisan thing. Journalists often approach subjects of stories for comment either because it is a story about something that the subject has not yet acknowledged (e.g. Lizzo being approached for comment on otherwise unsubstantiated claims of abuse from her dancers, after the news broke but prior to her making an official statement), in part so that they don't get sued (e.g. strict libel laws in the UK) or to maintain a sense of a right to reply on accusations , not as a way to better represent some weird version of objective reality that involves a story with two sides - in this case its pretty arguable that GN are presenting facts which are all completely in the public domain and which have all been already broadcast or published by LTT themselves.

I agree. The job of a journalist is to represent the truth. It's the truth that LTT has made some big mistakes and mistakes are consistent. The problem I have is that GN is stating it's definitely from making too many videos too quickly. There could be other problems inside the organization that's leading to these errors. The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Grumbles posted:

the ltt reddit is savaging him. I checked so you don’t have to

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Icept posted:

Funniest move would have been for GN to reach out for comment from LMG, but done from some incognito identity like when they review pre-built PCs from Walmart.

Beve Sturcke finally returns.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Subjunctive posted:

the ltt reddit is savaging him. I checked so you don’t have to

thank you for your service :911:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Linus/Lister is an idiot.

e: just saw the av change, didn't buy it lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

Beve Sturcke finally returns.

in our hour of greatest need

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lister posted:

Someone saying "I wish we had more time to make videos" in a fluff video about working at LMG can mean something.

LOL, if you willingly produce and publish a "fluff video" about what's it's like to work at your company and there is universal agreement from your employees that they're overworked, they think you're making poor quality content, and they can't be proud of the content you put out.

Imagine what an actual critique of the workplace would look like if that was the fluff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lister posted:

The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.
The story is full of quotes from people that work there, including Linus himself. You don't need to further interview anyone if the story can be done with existing public statements.

The GN video is literally full of their own words. An "anonymous" interview from some no-name staffer would be less legit that what they actually did.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 16, 2023

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Lister posted:

I agree. The job of a journalist is to represent the truth. It's the truth that LTT has made some big mistakes and mistakes are consistent. The problem I have is that GN is stating it's definitely from making too many videos too quickly. There could be other problems inside the organization that's leading to these errors. The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.

Considering half of Linus’ videos have a half a dozen addendums because they hosed up proofing/testing but couldn’t be stuffed (read: had no time) to edit the content/retest the hardware, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out they’re making GBS threads out videos too quickly.

Amending a slide isn’t just changing a word in a PowerPoint slide. LMG sticking 5 asterixis in a single graph slide is an admission that the time savings from not fixing their graph properly is worth more than actually doing a proper job.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lister posted:

All of those potential internal problems are more damning than the theorized cause, which draws on a bunch of publicly available supporting evidence (and isn't actually Steve taking a strong position re: the The One True Explanation For Why LTT Keeps loving Up The Numbers) - it's also not really something that GN would have needed to seek comment about because, again, it's all based on repeated public statements, and if LTT wanted to attribute the high error rate to some other internal issue while keeping up the current pace of production they could easily do so using their own communication channels, nor would anyone reasonable think a large corporation would be inclined to honestly share the gory details of their internal process issues just because a news outlet asked (quite the reverse in fact)

it's genuinely hilarious that you're treating this as GN doing them dirty when in fact GN teed them up a ridiculously easy (and non-personally adversarial) PR response as an organization (at least if, y'know, the owner hadn't seemingly taken the broad and well supported organizational criticism personally and deflected attention to a second issue where he was immediately caught in a lie)

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 16, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
sufficient context or not, those clips at beginning were the least important part of the video

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That sure is one hell of a take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lister posted:

The problem I have is that GN is stating it's definitely from making too many videos too quickly. There could be other problems inside the organization that's leading to these errors. The best people that would know that or not are the people who work there. GN didn't get a quote from anybody who works there, even anonymously. I think that's a major blind spot in their reporting here.

aside from all the other things others have pointed out are wrong with this...

In any walk of life, doing things in a hurry always leads to heightened risk of mistakes. But here, even though you try to pretend otherwise, GN is not reporting from fifty thousand feet. This is right in their wheelhouse! They are domain experts. When GN says perpetual time crunch is a great way to make lots of mistakes in technical review content, and maybe LTT should consider following their own employees' feedback on that if they actually want to do better, GN isn't just throwing darts at a wall.

you seem to be a very obtuse person, more of a rimmer than a lister if I'm being brutally honest