Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bullshit they're releasing this on Switch and not the SNES SimCity. That was even on the Virtual Console!

It’s came out on Switch on May 10, 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Economy & Production:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/development-diary-9-economy-production.1595744/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNQ7kYshBg

Some very cool stuff here, it's pretty dang detailed.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Hope it scratches some of that itch that is otherwise only satisfied by Workers and Resources.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Holy poo poo they actually answered a question in their Q&A that wasn't in the video. Raising taxes on cars pushes citizens toward public transit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Holy poo poo they actually answered a question in their Q&A that wasn't in the video. Raising taxes on cars pushes citizens toward public transit.

"You may have heard about a thing called the ULEZ - the Ultra Low Emissions Zone.
Well, buddy, welcome to the FEZ - the loving Expensive Zone."

Keen to find out just how punitive I can make my taxes on private transport.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Six lane freeway but only for bikes

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hopefully they've found a way to integrate DLC systems into the main sim better because this is basically what the industries DLC should have been the whole time, rather than just parklife again

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The limitations of Industries weren't technical, but the inherent difficulty in trying to post-hoc redesign your simulation to account for a new yet fundamental factor.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Have they mentioned yet whether SC2 will have the most important form of transport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_ArWCwdN4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kyte posted:

The limitations of Industries weren't technical, but the inherent difficulty in trying to post-hoc redesign your simulation to account for a new yet fundamental factor.

And not just that, but making it optional for those who didn't have the expansion.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Entropic posted:

Have they mentioned yet whether SC2 will have the most important form of transport?

Sities Ckylines 2?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kyte posted:

well, yeah? if this is what an implementation of industries could have been like if they were actually able to integrate it into the simulation then i hope that they figure out a way to integrate new additions in a way that doesn't leave them on weird mechanical islands

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

kingturnip posted:

"You may have heard about a thing called the ULEZ - the Ultra Low Emissions Zone.
Well, buddy, welcome to the FEZ - the loving Expensive Zone."

Keen to find out just how punitive I can make my taxes on private transport.
I want a mod to make the cops shoot at anyone driving a 4x4 in an urban area.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

OwlFancier posted:

Six lane freeway but only for bikes

Copenhagen?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I can't wait to watch let's plays of this because I have no time to invest in playing games anymore.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Imagining the following:

I'm a zoomer fresh out of college. No one who wants to pay a living wage has responded to any of my job applications. I have college debt and I'm not sure where I'm going to live in like 4 months. I'm stressed out, I start up a nice relaxing city building game to unwind after a long day of being turned down and paying too much for too little.

Boot up the game and one of the core mechanics is how hosed my generation is.

My eye twitches.

I ask steam for a refund and play some fortnite or whatever the gently caress zoomers do.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Just set the taxes to 9 9 9 and live in a utopia.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
That's certainly a headline.

https://www.businessinsider.com/city-video-game-simulates-homelessness-layoffs-gen-z-broke-2023-8?amp

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SuperTeeJay posted:

I want a mod to make the cops shoot at anyone driving a 4x4 in an urban area.

lmao what would be the name of this City Policy? "Foot Traffic Encouragement Practices"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine a modern style city builder game that simulated all of the problems with modern society.

Your police have sovereign immunity and brutalize, beat and kill people at random causing massive city shuttering protests. If You do anything to threaten the police They strike or shut down major city services.

Before you can change any sort of city policy you play and unskipable cutscene where somebody rants about chemtrails for 3 hours at an open city council meeting.

You build an efficient tram network and some tire or auto manufacturer buys it out and mothballs it so people have to keep driving.

You attempt to build a nuclear plant and literally everybody loses their goddamned minds.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also you’re continuously broke.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Eifert Posting posted:

Imagine a modern style city builder game that simulated all of the problems with modern society.
a few friends of mine were judges in this game jam a few years back:

quote:

Clocking in at 1,336 pages, Robert Caro’s The Power Broker is a monumental biography capturing the life and works of Robert Moses (1888–1981), the controversial master urban planner of New York responsible for the construction of many major landmarks including Lincoln Center, the United Nations, and the Triborough Bridge, among many others.

The biography is notable for capturing the complex (and brutal) political, social, economic, and architectural dynamics surrounding Moses’ achievements and the often ambiguous legacy he left on the city. In its length, detail, awesomeness, and difficulty of completion, it is the Infinite Jest of non-fiction.

Today, we are launching a competition that challenges game designers to adapt The Power Broker into a playable, interactive form that preserves the flavor and themes of the written work, while leveraging the unique opportunities the game medium provides.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dijkstracula posted:

a few friends of mine were judges in this game jam a few years back:

I had an idea way back when I was a student for a pre-modern city builder with the constraints typical of the era. IE: you inherit an ancient randomly generated city and there's some sort of natural disaster that requires a partial rebuild of the affected areas only. Maybe if you finish that someone "accidentally" sets a fire in a convenient location at some point. Maybe folks blame you, maybe they don't.

No matter what you definitely aren't rebuilding the entire city from the ground up, and if you get too bold the game ends with your guards throwing your decapitated head to angry proles in the town center.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Game Progression

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/development-diary-10-game-progression.1596392/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtytQ9rX3Bc

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I like trains coming earlier than they do in CS1, but I'm not sure about having trams not coming at the same time. Still, with the amount of development points you seem to get you can probably unlock them all at once.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Gonna try giving natural development a fair shake in CS2. CS1s development just felt weird, especially because you have to connect your hamlet to some 6 lane freeway monstrosity using a baby street. I really dislike having to connect to outside networks. Makes city panning tough for my smooth brain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The starting on a highway offramp thing does indeed suck poo poo and it's sad that they kept that. I guess the agent thing requires an outside connection but I don't see why it couldn't be a little country road instead. Or a railway.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The secret of shutting down the police is that if they all go on strike, nothing actually happens because they're completely ineffective anyway

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The starting on a highway offramp thing does indeed suck poo poo and it's sad that they kept that. I guess the agent thing requires an outside connection but I don't see why it couldn't be a little country road instead. Or a railway.

it can be in cs1. you just need to make your map with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it can be in cs1. you just need to make your map with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah but the map editor was always a huge pain in the balls. IIRC it doesn't work properly either, you really need to have a full size highway at the edge of the map. Though you can turn that into a two lane right away.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah but the map editor was always a huge pain in the balls. IIRC it doesn't work properly either, you really need to have a full size highway at the edge of the map. Though you can turn that into a two lane right away.

You can use two lane highways for outside connections, I've done it a few times.

The issue is that the speed limit and only having two lanes can cause traffic issues, which you can sorta mitigate by making your direct connections be adjacent edges of the map and then create a more direct, underground road between them in order to absorb all of the dummy traffic that the game generates.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I sure hope that ding on getting points is just for show in the video and you won't be hearing that every single time you plop a road down

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I bet it's not for show. Remember all the dings every time a building upgrades?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why would I ever want to ban bicycling on sidewalks?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

Why would I ever want to ban bicycling on sidewalks?

The option is there specifically so you can refuse petitions to do so.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

This game has petitions?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No but I'm gonna mod them in just so I can ignore them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Strategic Tea posted:

The secret of shutting down the police is that if they all go on strike, nothing actually happens because they're completely ineffective anyway

Now that's just not true in the slightest.

When cops go on strike, crime goes down :v:

Ok, I have identified a possible issue stemming from the development umlock system and how it might interact with mods. Say you download a new fire station; if it's set to be part of an existing node and you just unlock the new one along with whatever the game gives you there, fine, no problem. However, if the mod adds it as a new node and you have to spend eg 4 development points to unlock it, where do those extra points come from? A single mod could just tweak it so you you get 4 more points at a specific milestone, but what happens if you have a bunch?

Of course it may just not be possible to add new unlock nodes so everything has to be slotted into an existing one, but that seems like it could constrain things heavily, like if someone wants to add a new type of power plant but has to just stick it onto the Nuclear Power node.

Alternatively I think the cleverer and most convenient solution would be if rather than the game having an actual set number of points at each unlock, it instead counts the total needed to unlock everything and then distributes that total among the 20 milestones using whatever ratio CO decided is best.

They'll have to do something though because once DLCs start arriving those will surely be adding their own unlocks as well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/johnsebastian/status/1693959829704905076?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i make an informed decision about where to build a leisure district?

How do i know how many tourists my city can hold before tourist zoning runs out of customers?