Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Linus likes to point out that competition is good and repeated it about the LTT labs when apologizing for that lab tour blunder.

Linus also advocates for transparency and for You The Viewer/Customer.

GN's videos is very much in line with that, so I think LMG should thank them for catching them slipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
These people don’t know what’s it’s like to work with a small business owner that actively tries to co-mingle personal with business.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Linus should've taken the buyout, waited until the company collapsed, and then started Ivan Tech Tips back at the Langley House.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Because Linus couldn’t help himself but release a statement and lie in that statement, he will now be forced to make another statement addressing his dumb as poo poo rant and lies. He did an infinite more amount of damage than just keeping his mouth shut. A true pagliacco.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wedge Regret
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder%27s_syndrome

Linus, the diagnosis is not good.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

slidebite posted:

The story is full of quotes from people that work there, including Linus himself. You don't need to further interview anyone if the story can be done with existing public statements.

The GN video is literally full of their own words. An "anonymous" interview from some no-name staffer would be less legit that what they actually did.

Yes, their own words reinterpreted to assume something about the organization without double checking with the people that said them to confirm that's what they meant. GN didn't ask the questions and they don't have the complete video of every answer from every person. An anonymous interview from a staffer directly addressing the subject of the video would have been much more legitimate.

LGD posted:

All of those potential internal problems are more damning than the theorized cause, which draws on a bunch of publicly available supporting evidence (and isn't actually Steve taking a strong position re: the The One True Explanation For Why LTT Keeps loving Up The Numbers) - it's also not really something that GN would have needed to seek comment about because, again, it's all based on repeated public statements, and if LTT wanted to attribute the high error rate to some other internal issue while keeping up the current pace of production they could easily do so using their own communication channels, nor would anyone reasonable think a large corporation would be inclined to honestly share the gory details of their internal process issues just because a news outlet asked (quite the reverse in fact)

it's genuinely hilarious that you're treating this as GN doing them dirty when in fact GN teed them up a ridiculously easy (and non-personally adversarial) PR response as an organization (at least if, y'know, the owner hadn't seemingly taken the broad and well supported organizational criticism personally and deflected attention to a second issue where he was immediately caught in a lie)

If LTT wanted to attribute the high error rate to some other internal issue, then they should have been asked "hey, what's with all the gently caress ups?" Steve could have directly questioned Linus and maybe gotten specific answers about what the root cause is instead of Linus immediately being defensive about loving over Billet Labs. If the response was an obfuscation, an attempt to cover something up or twist the narrative, then call it out then and there. Simply skipping it wasn't the right thing to do.

Rinkles posted:

sufficient context or not, those clips at beginning were the least important part of the video

That's true. They should have been cut completely. GN getting a video 90% right doesn't mean the mistakes should be ignored.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dude we get it you like Linus and don't like Steve. It's OK.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LGD posted:

when in fact GN teed them up a ridiculously easy (and non-personally adversarial) PR response as an organization (at least if, y'know, the owner hadn't seemingly taken the broad and well supported organizational criticism personally and deflected attention to a second issue where he was immediately caught in a lie)

This is so true. Linus had a huge opportunity to “come to Tech Jesus” and repent meaningfully for the previous known and systematic sloppiness, and everyone would have rallied around him to support the new, thoughtful LMG. That he didn’t means that probably a) they really can’t afford to be more thoughtful because only a completely reckless approach to content can cover the cheques that Linus has written, or b) he is really not capable of that thoughtful interrogation of his history as a corporate leader. Neither is a good situation.

The LMG CEO has to be furious, if he isn’t a complete, abject moron.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

dude we get it you like Linus and don't like Steve. It's OK.

no it's not we're gonna have a crusade in here over the correct youtube techman to be a fan of. who's with me on the tech jesus force

edit: linus hasn't posted much/at all today has he? they're probably trying to cook up a better response asap/ahead of WAN show just so he doesn't make a fool of himself again.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

edit: linus hasn't posted much/at all today has he? they're probably trying to cook up a better response asap/ahead of WAN show just so he doesn't make a fool of himself again.

They usually have their daily video posted by now. My bet is they're recording a video response for this whole mess to be posted same day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hey Linus, you should apologize and own up to your fuckups and negligence.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
LTT Floatplane subs live tracker if anyone is interested. They started out yesterday morning just over 42000 subscribers.

https://grafana.elizabeth.codes/public-dashboards/10023c4c479744e191760225708c0124?orgId=1

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Are there longer term numbers available for floatplane?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lister posted:

Steve could have directly questioned Linus and maybe gotten specific answers about what the root cause is instead of Linus immediately being defensive about loving over Billet Labs.

What single piece of evidence makes you think that Linus would have been the slightest bit honest about that, when the problem is him, by definition of his role in the enterprise? Linus has never shown the tiniest bit of self-awareness.

Linus has also said, directly and explicitly, that it wasn’t worth spending the additional time to fix errors that were in videos, blanching at the less-than-4-backpacks cost of reshooting and re-editing a segment of video that was found to have been inaccurate. Steve didn’t just encounter Linus for the first time this week.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I feel like burying LMG due to this hilarious failure of judgement might be paradoxically jumping the shark

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vic posted:

I feel like burying LMG due to this hilarious failure of judgement might be paradoxically jumping the shark

LMG is a juggernaut and won’t be stopped by this if Linus can keep from opening his mouth a few more times.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Triikan posted:

Are there longer term numbers available for floatplane?

no idea sorry this is all i found

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlapYoJacks posted:

LMG is a juggernaut and won’t be stopped by this if Linus can keep from opening his mouth a few more times.

He’s going to open his mouth a dozen more times, and LMG won’t be stopped anyway. But they’re going to drop a tier of nerd-cred and Linus will hate that forever.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

FlapYoJacks posted:

So they are in fact doomed, then.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

I wanna see Linus wise up get and real about what he really needs to be, or melt down completely and get ousted by well meaning friends and family.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 16, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

He’s going to open his mouth a dozen more times, and LMG won’t be stopped anyway. But they’re going to drop a tier of nerd-cred and Linus will hate that forever.

Eh, maybe. It depends how much influence his wife can hold over him. She’s CFO yeah?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Wedge Regret
Whatever happens, it'll be funny.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Eh, maybe. It depends how much influence his wife can hold over him. She’s CFO yeah?

Isn't she also head of HR or did they change that when everyone pointed out hey maybe having the owner's wife running HR isn't the best idea?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Branch Nvidian posted:

That sure is one hell of a take.

This person is still in college.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

njsykora posted:

Isn't she also head of HR or did they change that when everyone pointed out hey maybe having the owner's wife running HR isn't the best idea?

Was that before or after he sent his nude surveillance footage to the unfortunate editor

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We're overdue for a new sad Linus face, thankfully Steve has provided an opportunity.

To me, they're primarily entertainment, and I am entertained. The weight of responsibility to the braying nerd hordes is secondary to making fun videos about breaking stuff. It's not really an enviable position in a lot of ways. He's obviously mega rich now, which I'm sure helps. He should get a PR employee.

60k a year to keep someone from doing this stuff would be cheap.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pay me $60k a year to hit Linus with a newspaper every time he starts to open his mouth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pay me $60k a year to hit Linus with a newspaper every time he starts to open his mouth.

That labour is worth way more than $60K/year to society, don’t underprice yourself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hell, I would do it for free.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Make it one of those fans you see in Japanese slapstick comedy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
He would never ever listen to some pleb paid 60k/yr, :cmon:

Small business owner brain makes this an impossible situation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lister seems to be saying that "not enough time, too many videos" is too specific a cause to attribute to the quality problems LTT is having. What if their production process was more professionalized? What if they had an Editor-in-chief with full oversight before anything gets published? What if people with more expertise did the videos?... but the pace remained the same?

But that doesn't strike me as a particularly valuable distinction, nor does it detract from the thesis of GN's critique.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

njsykora posted:

Make it one of those fans you see in Japanese slapstick comedy.

Only if I get to yell "Linusu no baka!!!" every time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lister posted:

Yes, their own words reinterpreted to assume something about the organization without double checking with the people that said them to confirm that's what they meant. GN didn't ask the questions and they don't have the complete video of every answer from every person. An anonymous interview from a staffer directly addressing the subject of the video would have been much more legitimate.

Earlier you were agreeing with Linus that LMG should have been contacted for comment, and that it was a horrible breach of ~~ethics in journalism~~ to not get comment when doing a piece like this.

But now this sounds more like Gamers Nexus should have contacted the employees for comment. Did they feel that their quotes about video production being too fast were representative of problems at LMG? Not the bossman, because the bossman wasn't the one saying it.

Which means Linus was wrong and GN didn't need to ask him for comment, right?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

it took him months to recognize the "trust me bro" thing was dumb.

he's not gonna shut up about it. especially now that others are giving their opinion. someordinarygamers put out a video tonight about it, and it wasn't good for lmg.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Dr Ian says his video script about it is up to 25 pages. He's been mostly defensive of LTT on Twitter.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What single piece of evidence makes you think that Linus would have been the slightest bit honest about that, when the problem is him, by definition of his role in the enterprise? Linus has never shown the tiniest bit of self-awareness.

Linus has also said, directly and explicitly, that it wasn’t worth spending the additional time to fix errors that were in videos, blanching at the less-than-4-backpacks cost of reshooting and re-editing a segment of video that was found to have been inaccurate. Steve didn’t just encounter Linus for the first time this week.

I don't have evidence one way or the other. I don't know what kind of self-awareness Linus has or what Steve's relationship with Linus is. Simply assuming someone would lie as a reason not to ask them doesn't make any sense when you're making a news piece that's supposed to be as honest and as objective as possible.

Mooktastical posted:

So you don't dispute that they're putting out lovely videos rife with errors they're not always catching, or that they're putting them out knowing they're erroneous, or that their own people are dissatisfied with the lack of quality, or that they're unhappy with the rate they have to work, you're just mad that Steve made the (IMO obvious) connection that rushed work is sloppy? The term 'rush job' literally exists to illustrate this fundamental connection between quality and time spent. It's not a great look, my dude

I do dispute that their own people are dissatisfied with the lack of quality or the rate they have to work. Being asked "what would you change about your job?" and answering "we could use more time on videos" isn't a smoking gun. We don't know the full answers those people even gave in that video. Maybe they said "everything's pretty great here, but if I had to give an answer, we could use more time on videos." Maybe they really did mean that they feel overworked and it's leading to problems. A journalist's job is to find out which of those possibilities is true instead of just believing you know. That's due diligence that GN did not do. Instead they cut clips from incomplete interviews they didn't give and assigned a particular meaning to them in a new context that the original answers had nothing to do with.

Klyith posted:

Earlier you were agreeing with Linus that LMG should have been contacted for comment, and that it was a horrible breach of ~~ethics in journalism~~ to not get comment when doing a piece like this.

But now this sounds more like Gamers Nexus should have contacted the employees for comment. Did they feel that their quotes about video production being too fast were representative of problems at LMG? Not the bossman, because the bossman wasn't the one saying it.

Which means Linus was wrong and GN didn't need to ask him for comment, right?

Linus and the employees should have been talked to. In response to the whole story, Linus should have been given a chance to explain what he thinks about GN's belief that LMG is rushing out videos, and the employees included in the video should have been given a chance to clarify what they meant or how they felt about what they said in relation to GN's thesis. I'm not seeing how this is the gotcha that you think it is.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lister posted:

I'm not seeing how this is the gotcha that you think it is.
Because you're weird and dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Because you're weird and dumb

fact: that is a subjective opinion