Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Let's talk about the BYOGM 2023-2024 Boston Celtics and why they should be the favorites to win this league. We need look no further than the best data available: who won the real life NBA most recently? That's right, this guy:

And he's thrilled to be here. Boston has a rich Slavic tradition in that the Irish are basically Slavs with worse culinary aptitude.

But!, you may say, BUT! the real life Denver Nuggets had other players that were also good. And these fantasy Celtics largely do not because spending 57% of your cap on one player is crazy! Au contraire. Consider Jamal Murray, who I will posit is in fact not that important:

59% win percentage with such as Reggie Jackson and Bones Hyland manning the point. We can replicate that and even improve on it potentially.

At shooting guard we improve from KCP to Bogdan^2-ovich and Gary Trent.
At small forward we improve from Bruce Brown to Jerami Grant.
At power forward we move horizontally from Aaron Gordon to Jonathan Isaac
And at center we improve with a slightly older, wiser, and craftier Jokic + 1 year.

Add in improved depth at basically every position and this is a better team than the best team, undisputable.

Let's look at the rotation:

PG:
- Tyus Jones
- Cam Payne
- Ricky Rubio

SG
- Bogdan of house Bogdanovic
- Gary Trent Jr
- Andrew Nembhard

SF
- Jerami Grant
- AJ Griffin
- Sam Hauser

PF
- Jonathan Isaac
- Bol Bol
- Oshae Brisset

C
- The MVP
- Daniel Theis
- Nerlens Noel

There will necessarily be some slippage in those positional definitions as things develop but that will be the rough cut rotation to kick things off. The strength will be the depth with solid NBA talent 1-3 at every position and plenty of positional flexibility to counter weird matchups and cover for guys who actually aren't good even though I think they are.

I think this team can be penciled in for home court advantage into the 2nd round at least at which point we will relay on having the best player with injuries turned off and a solid core surrounding him.

Now I just need to book airfare to the Balkans and trawl through recumbent horse racing pavilions to find my guy and get him back to start training with a new cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Starting Lineup:

Bobby Portis (C, $71) - My favorite thing in the world is Bobby Portis bombing 3s, but this 6th-Man of the Year finalist is a well-rounded threat no matter where he is, under the basket or behind the arc he’s going to do some damage.

D’Angelo Russell (PG, $72) - DLo will thrive in a situation where he doesn’t have pressure to be a scorer and gets to be a facilitator. He will be taking the ball up the court and will have lots of options and will be… discouraged from betting on himself. He won’t need to! He’s gonna have sick passing highlights every other game.

Tyler Herro (SG, $88) - buckets buckets buckets buckets buckets. He’s going to have opportunities to shoot with multiple capable playmakers to get him the ball

Brandon Ingram (PF, $236) - The perfect Lieutenant for Kawhi. He’s still on the upswing and played some of the best basketball in his career this last season. He’s building his playmaking skills, he’s shooting efficiently, and even on the days when Kawhi is taking some well-earned rest, he’s more than able to carry a team to victory.

Kawhi Leonard (SF, $373) - He’s one of the best two-way players in the league, period. Possibly of all time. He’s a leader, already has a ring with two different teams and he’s ready to bring one to Memphis. The only things he can’t do are play a full 82 game regular season and display sincere emotion for more than 10 seconds but once the playoffs arrive and he turns it on he could carry an entire team on his back if he needed to, but luckily he’s got 4 guys on the court who can more than carry their weight.

My rotation bench boys:

John Wall (PG, $5) - a former All-Star ready to back-up DLo and lead the bench unit.
Danilo Gallinari (GF, $5) - Gallo is coming off an injury but has had enough time to recover and get ready for the season. He should provide a boost in scoring off the bench and is more than capable of starting for BI or Kawhi in a pinch if they need to take a day
Cam Reddish (SF, $28) - I’ll let the King speak for me here…

https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/1679239696436838400?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Lonnie Walker IV (SG, $35) - I yelled at this man through my TV a lot this year and you know what, it loving worked. He redeemed himself in the playoffs and is going to earn himself a whole-rear end contract in Brooklyn this year. He’s a little inconsistent but when he’s on he’s capable of putting the game on his back, even in high pressure moments. We expect him to continue to develop off the bench.
Jusuf Nurkić (C, $71) - my big beefy boy is a perfect pick to spell Bobby without having the full pressure of starting put on his shoulders. He’ll be able to bully most bench bigs in this league, and I think a chance of space is what Nurk needs. There’s nothing the city of Memphis loves more than a big hairy white guy getting some minutes at Center

My deep bench boys:

Kris Murray (F, FA) - I’m not going to let bargain bin Keegan Murrayan Iowa Hawkeye sit waiting for someone to call him. (Next year I’ll be petitioning the commissioner to let me draft Caitlin Clark.) If Keegan was already an active contributor in year 1 it stands to reason there’s a non-0 chance his twin brother does as well.
Emoni Bates (SF, $1) - My other rookie, he was a bit of a head case in college but he’s incredibly talented and if he can put it back together he could easily become a contributor at the pro level.
Alex Len (C, $2) - a little old but still a solid end of bench/injury-time center who always pops off for a few games randomly every winter.
David Duke Jr. (G, $3) - His name is a meme but he’s young and had occasional flashes with the Nets last year, he too could develop into a solid rotation player.
Frank Ntilikina (G, $5) - Frank the Tank! He was never able to live up to his draft position but as an end of bench PG he’s perfectly serviceable.

Depth Chart: (italics means not in the active rotation)
PG: D’Angelo Russell ($72) / John Wall ($5) / Frank Ntilikina ($5)
SG: Tyler Herro ($88) / Lonnie Walker IV ($35) / David Duke Jr ($3)
SF: Brandon Ingram ($236)/ Cam Reddish ($28) / Emoni Bates ($1)
PF: Kawhi Leonard ($374) / Danilo Gallinari ($5) / Kris Murray (FA)
C: Bobby Portis ($71) / Jusuf Nurkic ($71) / Alex Len ($2)

Team strengths: This is an incredibly solid team with no real on-the-court weaknesses. 80% of the starting lineup were top 100 in PER last season. We’ve got points in the paint, from mid-range and from 3. We’ve got defense. We’ve got clutch players who can take over the end of a game. This is a veteran team with no headcases, one of the best players of all time, 4 all-stars, a former Sixth Man of the Year, and all that adds up to a team that can easily run it all the way to the Finals.

Team weakness: look, you see it, I see it, everyone, their mothers, and Kendrick Perkins can see it: the one pervading factor that pretty much all of these guys share is injury risk. Kawhi is notorious for resting and getting injured at key times. BI missed over a third of the season last year & Herro missed all of the playoffs. Wall, Gallinari and Nurkić all have had season-long injuries that have seemingly limited their abilities (although the jury’s still out on Gallo because he’s returning this year). Essentially I’m taking a big risk that the Los Angeles Clippers are in the middle of taking in real life and two years in they’ve had nothing but a lot of disappointment. But I believe in this team’s perseverance.

These are good vibes guys, some of the most exciting players in the league and a team that, when at full power, could roll over anyone. Kawhi is going to be That Guy for a long time and this team is set up to maneuver around him with maximum efficiency. This is a trophy team, no question.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DC Murderverse posted:

D’Angelo Russell (PG, $72) - DLo will thrive in a situation where he doesn’t have pressure to be a scorer and gets to be a facilitator. He will be taking the ball up the court and will have lots of options and will be… discouraged from betting on himself. He won’t need to! He’s gonna have sick passing highlights every other game.

lmao

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Your Houston Rockets

Young. Big. Athletic. We will inherit the earth, sooner than you think.

PG: Ja Morant 6'2 / Keon Johnson 6'3 / Colin Gillespie 6'1
SG: Bilal Coulibaly 6'6 / Kobe Bufkin 6'5 / Ben Shepperd 6'6
SF: Tari Eason 6'8 / Sasha Vezenkov 6'9 / Cam Whitmore 6'7 / Peyton Watson 6'7
PF: Victor Wembayama 7'5 / Jarace Walker 6'8 / Jake Laravia 6'7
C: Jabari Smith 6'11/ James Wiseman 7'0

Look at all that upside. all that wingspan. Sure, some teams may have players who have "played in the nba" and "are grown adults" but they don't have wemby or an average age of 22. Your old men may know how to run plays or whatever, but my dudes are gonna dunk all over their face.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 14, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You're kind of tall... I guess

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bilal was a very nice completely free waiver grab for a team that's banking on the future. Former teammate of Wemby too

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

The Atlanta Hawks were one of the last teams to fill the vacant GM position in the 2023 BYOGM season, and owner *opens wiki tab* Tony Ressler was left with the option of not competing or taking on second year GM Blind Pineapple who led the Rockets to a 36-46 season the previous year and promised to revitalize the Hawks with a return to an ironic old-school logo the kids will love and the ultimate secret to building a winning team: Reckless spending... Wait there's a hard cap in this league? Well, it somehow resulted in a solid team that will have a starting 5 that is fun to watch if nothing else, plus some cool dudes got paid.

Starters

Mikal Bridges (F): Mikal established himself as a "glue guy" in his early years with the Suns, but after being traded to Nets team that was cleaning house, proved he could be a legit #1 option, averaging 26 PPG and keeping the ragtag Nets in the playoff picture. With an NBA All-Defense credit to his name already, he's emerging as top 2-way player in the league.

Brandon Clarke (F): Former All Rookie high-efficiency, low usage big. He won't be asked to take on too much offensive responsibility here, and if his 20 PER can hold up over more minutes, he'll be a key asset.

Alperen Sengun (C): The steal of the 2021 draft has drawn comparisons to Nikola Jokic in his young career. After what Jokic did last year, this might be premature, but even half of that production would still be a really nice player. Sengun is now 6'11 at 21 years old and has show the ability to score in the post and has a knack for creative passing in the paint. He ain't the Joker, but he can play some point center, and playing with and efficient 2/3 combo should allow his game to move up a level.

CJ McCollum (G): You know CJ. Lived in Dame's shadow for a long time, changed teams and still maintained his production. Consistent 20 PPG vet with near 40% 3P shooting.

Monte Morris (G): The league's most generic point guard rounds out this lineup. When you have two scorers who can easily get their own shots and another creator in the middle, you just need someone who's going to bring the ball up the floor, hit an open shot when needed, and defend competently, a true 15 PER guy. While no one will confuse his passing with Paul or Nash, his average of less than .5 TO/game has earned him the best nickname on the team (and possibly league): The Count of Monte Assist/TO.

Actual Bench

Torrey Craig (G/F): Switchable wing who can come in and hit some timely 3s while he's on the floor.

Nick Richards (C): He won't be the playmaker Sengun is, but he's a sneaky good rim protector and will provide solid minutes off the bench when Sengun rests.

Nic Batum (F/G): Vet who can still shoot 3s and play multiple positions.

Precious Achiuwa (F/C): Solid lunchpail guy when size is needed over shooting.

George Hill (G): He might be George "over the" Hill now, but he's a vet that can still give a few minutes of PG play. With the lack of PG depth on the team, I foresee more minutes of Alpi playing point center with better shooters in the back court.

Josh Christopher (G): Showed flashes as a scorer in Houston, should be useful for a handful of minutes in non PG lineups.

Landry Shamet (G): Another guy who we won't expect a ton of minutes from, but can knock down some 3s when he's in there.

Warm Bodies

Ish Smith (G): He's washed but will provide veteran leadership, and will be an even bigger immaculate grid asset as he adds another team to his resume.

Kobe Brown (F): He looked good at Mizzou last year.

Javonte Green (F): He's, uh, on the team.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

WELCOME TO YOUR ONE AND ONLY ZARDS ROSTER

oh boy do we ever have some players, and they make a team: the Washington Wizards

top dawgs

Julius Randle is here and is ready to chuck shots. All-NBA, highest paid player on the roster, presumptive alpha dog, ready to bust out the spin move and take threes and ballhandle and do all them Randle things he does best does. Is it a good thing having Randle as your best player? gently caress you, it's a Washington thing.
Anfernee Simons is ready to step out of the shadow of Dame and into his own right as the top guard on this roster. Ready recipient on the outside for the interior playmaking on this roster, able to take the attack himself as needed, and can step in and playmake a bit if all the other handlers falter,
Chris Paul gets his swan song arranging all of this. Pound the rock, arrange the troops, gets the prestige of calling it his team, invariably yell at everyone who's here to hoop.
Jordan Clarkson gets to slide back into his natural role as Bench Alpha. Get them buckets. It's called basketball.

depth

Al Horford isn't quite dead yet. Big Horf will likely start, space the floor, make some solid passes, and try and glue things together.
Mitchell Robinson fills out the big rotation with Randle and Horford. Robinson is here to block shots and rebound. Please do those things, as there will be plenty of bricks to chase and plenty of perimeter defensive errors to clean up after.
Dillon Brooks will CHUCK SHOTS when someone deigns to pass him the ball. When that isn't happening, please play decent defense.
Gordon Hayward is a steady veteran presence and a real drat good piece to have at this point in the depth chart. If Brooks is too stupid to play competently, call up Gord.
Cole Anthony is a back-up point guard and young enough maybe he'll improve under Paul.
Shake Milton can hit a three and pass and play three positions.
Otto Porter Jr may be alive for some games.
Evan Fournier is rumored to still play basketball.

players whom certainly exist and may occasionally do a thing
Christian Koloko is a big man who blocks shots and fouls and may grow into a good backup if Robinson goes down.
Dalano Banton is an intriguing concept, if not execution.
Leonard Miller is the promise that we have a future, we swear, we are building towards something and not just a treadmill team.

rotation

PG: Paul/Anthony/Banton
SG: Simons/Clarkson/Milton/Fournier
SF: Brooks/Hayward/Milton/Porter/Fournier/Miller
PF: Randle/Hayward/Porter/Miller
C: Horford/Robinson/Randle/Koloko

Likely playoff squad:
PG: Paul/Simons
SG: Simons/Clarkson
SF: Brooks/Hayward
PF: Randle/Hayward
C: Horford/Robinson
Spares: Anthony/Milton/Porter

assessment

Where every other team has failed, this one has succeeded in making the most Washington Wizards team of all time. I absolutely guarantee you this could be a Washington Wizards team. They will succeed in their goal, providing an adequate chance of making the playoffs to bolster their coffers with that sweet sweet playoff revenue. They have depth to grind out wins all season long. No team can treat them as an easy win. They will absolutely go .500-.550 and then bother someone better for a decent series before bowing out in the first round. Maybe they'll even embarrass someone and get blown out in the second round instead.

AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT THEN YOU DON'T LIKE WASHINGTON BASKETBALL BABY.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Your BYOGM Denver Nuggets!!

The star player, I will not make obvious jokes about him, please fill in your own

PF - Zion Williamson

With Zion, the offensive plan is pretty clear: pair him with a good playmaker, shooting, and defense. Dunk the ball and shoot threes when he's triple-teamed.

PG - Jrue Holiday

Even after people repeat ad nauseam how good he is, I still think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. He's the lockdown defensive presence people delude themselves into thinking Marcus Smart is, while also putting up 19/7/5.

Okay, we have our offensive one-two punch. Let's spread the floor.

SF - Cameron Johnson

SG - Royce O'Neal

Both playing down a position relative to their irl roles, Cam Johnson adds a tertiary scoring punch while Royce is there for Grit and other buzzwords about roleplayers.

With Zion at the 4, we'll need a defensive-minded big next to him. We have a good one.

C - Walker Kessler

I won't be winning the simulation with this, because BBGM thinks a rookie who put up 14 pts 13 rebounds 3.7 blocks per 36 is going to be a replacement-level player in his second year. Dear reader, I know you know better. Kessler had a reasonable argument for getting ROTY, as his actual court impact was better than any other rookie's. And this roster has a lot more talent than irl Utah.

Sixth man - Bones Hyland

His stock has fallen since the real Nuggets made him fly commercial, but no matter where he is, Bones will come into the game and get Buckets. He'll spend a lot of time as the bench ballhandler, giving the team a more offense-first look, subbing in for Royce. Running the break, throwing to Zion for lob dunks, is going to be incredibly fun.

Other notable bench players:
SG - Josh Green - bench shooter.
PG - Tre Mann - pure backup PG, young guy with potential.
SF - Svi Mykhailiuk - bench shooter.

Also on the roster i guess, I got a bunch of bad centers:
Aaron Nesmith
JT Thor
Sandro Mamukelashvili
Kai Jones
IP Freely
Day'Ron Sharpe
Chuma Okeke

Team strengths:
  • Zion. He's really good, and he'll have space to operate.
  • Shooting. Look at the 3P% on the roster, and think about how these numbers will get better as they're spreading the floor for one another:
    • Jrue: 38.4%
    • O'Neal: 38.9%
    • Johnson: 40.4% (higher in Phoenix with less focus on him, which this team will provide)
    • Bones: 37.1% (but will let it fly from 35)
    • Green: 40.2%
    • Mykhailiuk: 40.4%
  • Solid-to-great defense, with Jrue and Kessler providing all-defense level protection at both point of attack and at the rim. Bones and Zion are the only two questionable parts of that. This roster has a lot of length, with O'Neal and Johnson at the 2 and 3.
  • Ability to play small-ball with Zion at the 5 and take a zillion threes, with Zion putting the misses back for dunks.

Team weaknesses:
  • Secondary ball-handling
  • Bench depth (basically only 7 guys who I feel good about being on the floor)
  • You may not be as big a believer as me in Zion (health-wise), Kessler (nerd talk about how he'll be great in a bigger role), or Bones (a team gave him away and won the championship)

Let me know what you think!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
New York Knicks BYOGM Post:

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Doltos posted:

New York Knicks BYOGM Post:

Lol took me a while to find the jalens

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEKK3GVd150
YOUR PHILADELPHIA SEVENTY-SIXERS, DEFENDING BYOGM CHAMPIONS

STARTING LINEUP

PG: Jalen Brunson – 24/3.5/6.2 – 49%/41%/83%
Brunson is an elite scorer, able to get a bucket from any part of the floor while also running an offense. He is strong and quick for a 1, and makes up for his size on defense with grit and a shitload of hustle.

SG: Bruce Brown – 11.5/4.1/3.4 – 48%/36%/76%
Brown is a total glue guy. 6’4” with a huge wingspan, he’s able to play and defend 1-3s at a high level, while also filling multiple roles within an offense. He is more than capable of initializing a possession, and scores decently enough that he cannot be ignored on that side of the court.

SF: Lebron James – 28.9/8.3/6.8 – 50%/32%/77%
It’s Lebron. He’s somewhere between the 3rd and best NBA player to ever exist depending on who you ask. Guy is a genius and a one man offense and still an incredible athlete even as he approaches 40. I probably don’t have to spend too many words writing about LeBron, but he can play the 3-5 in some lineups and generally makes every player around him much better.

PF: Aaron Gordon – 16.3/6.6/3.0 – 56%/35%/60%
Extremely explosive athlete who is fairly efficient at scoring and very rarely turns the ball over. Decent playmaker for his position too giving him a lot of versatility. He came into his own as a defender in Denver, using his athleticism to make up for his lack of bulk at the 4.

C: Nikola Vucevic – 17.6/11/3.2 – 52%/35%/83%
An exceptional offensive 5 who can score long, mid and shortrange, as well leverage his elite rebounding to get easy buckets at the hoop. Also is a decent playmaker for his size and position, allowing him to put pressure on defenses in multiple ways. Has not leveraged his great size into great defense in his career, but is decent enough to hold his own in the post. He can be exploited on switches which is his big weakness.

ROTATION GUYS

Wing: Benedict Mathurin – 16.7/4.1/1.5 – 43%/32%/83%
A big wing with high defensive potential who was asked to do way too much offensively last year on a dogshit pacers team while having a fairly promising rookie season. We have the wing depth to keep him on a short leash. If he has a sophomore slump we have the depth to play him less. Regardless, his offensive load will go way down.

Wing: John Konchar – 5.1/4.3/1.4 – 43%/34%/78%
Heralded as the glue guy on a great Memphis team, Konchar is the kind of guy that does a bit of everything. Not an explosive athlete or elite offensive talent, he plays smart and hard and can impact the game when he picks his spots.

Forward: Taurean Prince – 9.1/2.4/1.6 – 46.7%/38%/84%
High motor forward who can play the 3 or the 4, which is important because he can easily play with both Lebron and Gordon in lineups without issue. A bit of a jack of all trades, master of none type player but does enough things well that he is great at eating up minutes off the bench.

C: Isiah Hartenstein - 5/6.5/1.2 – 53%/21%/67%
He’s 7 feet tall, giant, and mobile. Very limited skillset offensively but he plays hard and rebounds exceptionally well. Not much more you can ask for in a backup center.

G: Payton Pritchard – 5.6/1.8/1.3 – 41%/36%/75%
Definitely the weak spot in the rotation, he’s really just here to play any minutes where both Jalen Brunson and Bruce Brown have to sit at the same time. Not a terribly efficient scorer, he does shoot 3s well enough that he won’t kill you but he absolutely should not be playing in any high leverage situation.

FRINGE ROTATION

PG: Derrick Rose
His days of playing regularly are behind him, but at the end of the bench Rose provides some insurance. He can still play in an NBA and will be ready if needed.

PF: Isiah Roby
Showed promise as a guy who could be a potential bench big when in OKC, but barely played for the Spurs last year.

VETERAN GRIT
F: Rudy Gay
YOU FUCKIGN rear end in a top hat!!!!!

IF THESE GUYS PLAY ANY MEANINGFUL MINUTES THEN THE TEAM IMPLODED OR FAILED HORRIBLY SO WHO CARES

Jalen Hood-Schifino
The rookie on the squad. Kind of played like poo poo in summer league but still has some potential. He’s a big guard!

Damian Jones
He’s 6’11 and 250lbs.

Strengths
1) Lebron James
2) Extremely offensively versatile, should be able to attack and punish defenses in multiple ways. Good playmakers at the 1-5 in the starting lineup.
3) Depth provides interesting lineup possibilities, with most players being able to effectively play multiple positions. Bruce Brown is key here.
4) Gordon, Lebron, and Prince provide interesting small ball lineup options
5) Most key offensive players do not turn the ball over at a high rate.

Weaknesses
1) No elite defender will muddy the teams identity on defense, still there is enough talent here and there to make sure the team is around average defensively
2) No real lights out shooting option
3) Relying on the corpse of Derrick Rose and Payton Pritchard for PG depth is kind of sketch, having Bruce Brown helps a lot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Milwaukee Bucks

TEAM UNLIKABLE

The gimmick didn't work through the whole roster, but this, my friends, is the team where likeable players are no where to be found. People you actually root for is a market inefficiency and in this simulated world its the best one imaginable.

We have: Horrible Human beings who have been charged with domestic violence: (Miles Bridges, Kendrick Nunn)

The guy who won't shutup about bitcoin at a party: Dinwiddie

The guy who won't shutup about how hard he works: Jimmy Butler

An infuriating player to watch: Westbrook

Ben Simmons: Ben Simmons

Isaiah Stewart is cool though.

The rest is mostly neutral.

Starting Lineup is:

PG: Spencer Dinwiddie
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Miles Bridges
PF: SImmons
C: Isiah Stewart

Bigs: Toppin, WCS, McGee
Wings: Warren, KBD
Guards: Westbrook (6th man), Nunn, Langford

Noteables: Butler is the star of the team, but I am expecting great defense from Simmons, with the guard rotation doing damage. This is a great role for Westbrook where he can lead the bench or attack back court mismatches.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 15, 2023

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hype posts are due tomorrow night, correct? I've got something cooking but I'm busy today

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Carlosologist posted:

Hype posts are due tomorrow night, correct? I've got something cooking but I'm busy today

Yep!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

oh good, i didn't have time today and was going to write something short and lovely just now. i'll do it at work tomorrow instead lol

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Starting five

Steph Curry - One of the fifteen greatest players of all-time and still a top 2 offensive player in the league
Max Strus - Good shooter, good off-ball mover, solid defender
Tobias Harris - Volume bucket getter, plays hard
Jaren Jackson Jr. - The best defensive player in the league both , also a very good shooter and a great roll man to pair with Curry
Ivica Zubac - Elite rim protector, sets screens, gets boards, dunks, doesn't need to finish games

Rotation

Jevon Carter - Plus three point shooter, excellent point of attack defender, secondary ball handler
Eric Gordon - Plus three point shooter, still an above average defender who guards up well with his strength, can run second unit
Gary Harris - decent shooter, very good defender 1-3, can pass and dribble a little
Mattisse Thybulle - awesome defender, just go out there and play like a pitbull for 15 minutes a game and shut down someone
Duncan Robinson - awesome shooter and off ball mover
Chris Duarte - bucket getter, good off ball, doesn't suck on D
Maxi Kleber - defends 4s and 5s and shoots
Richaun Holmes/Jackson Hayes - one of these guys will be the backup 5

Offensive concept

Steph Curry + everyone 1 thru 4 on this team can shoot (not you Mattisee) = buckets. Closing with JJJ at the five and another shooter/ball handler on the floor and this offense is nasty. Carter, Strus, Robinson are all great movement shooters too, so running a Warriors style movement offense is going to get great results.

Defensive concept

JJJ is the best defensive player in the league and everyone on this team 1-4 is average or better on defence (not you Duncan). In the playoffs your weakest perimeter player gets exploited over and over and being able to put out five man line ups without a weak link is crucial. This team can do that 48 minutes a game easily. Not many teams will have a bench unit as good defensively as we do, we will suffocate opposition backups.

Overall

This team is super deep and very experienced. We go 12 deep and can play matchups with the bench every night. Weakness I'd say would be a top level man defender at the 3, but the team concept defence will be extremely strong with great help and JJJ or Zubac cleaning up a lot at the 5. On offense we have shooting, ball handling, midrange and interior scoring, with maybe the greatest offensive player of all-time leading the way. This is a team built for the playoffs and built for winning.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 15, 2023

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Welcome to Your 2023/2024 BYOGM Toronto Raptors

Unlike other teams who are trying to create some grand future this team is designed to win today and maybe even tomorrow. It's built on the sound principles that you need an elite player (Tatum) and a a very high level second option (Jamal Murray) surrounded by flexible and effective starting quality players. As gross it is to admit, Tatum has the skills to lead a team to the championship (yuck). Landing Murray was always part of the plan, as his on ball skills are the perfect antidote to Tatum's occasional late game troubles. Unlike Tatum's previous wingman, Murray has proven (career 25ppg in playoffs) that he can be relied on late in games to Score The Basketball. Beyond Murray the team has a ton of scoring and Shot Makers (Derozan, Norm Powell, Huerter), and a few valuable defensive specialists (Okogie, Covington,) that can provide more balance or fill in depending on the match up. I'm especially pleased with the 2 guard depth, where you can cycle in Norm, Okogie or Huerter depending on the situation. The roster is constructed for a deep playoff run filled with numerous cameos by your favourite geriatric millennials.

Starting Line Up

Jamal Murray 20 ppg @ 45.4% 3pt: 39.8%
Kevin Huerter 15.2 ppg @ 48.5% 3pt: 40.2%
Jayson Tatum 30.1 ppg @ 46.6% 3pt:35%
Demar Derozan 24.5 ppg @ 50.4% 3pt:32%
Jonas Valanciunas 14.1 ppg @ 54.7% 3pt: 34.9%

Look at all these buckets. Look at these efficiencies.

Rotation:
6th man: Norm Powell 17ppg @ 47.9% 3pt @39.7
Guards: Okogie, Jordan Goodwin
Wings: Reggie Bullock
Bigs: Robert Covington, Marcus Morris,

Deep Bench/Guys Marcus Morris Might Punch/Preachers/People to Foul Embiid:
Reggie Jackson, DJ Augustin, Khem Birch, Bruno Fernando

Overall Assessment:

The team has a lot of efficient scoring and players who can adapt to different styles. The bench is deeper than I expected and the aforementioned shooting guard rotation provides a lot of options. At the end of the day, I'm bullish on Tatum and Murray being a good enough 1-2 punch to rival other star heavy teams. The real weakness is at powerforward; not even in terms of skill but fit. I tried for days to find a more athletic stretch 4 but couldn't pull it off. I love the idea of DeRozan as a 4 but for a team that already has good scoring I would've preferred someone with better interior D. That said, I think Covington/Morris might provide just enough minutes to compensate for when we play a team with great forwards.

I like this team a lot and enjoy that I know who they are (e:turns out I didn't). They will either have very good vibes or have a player's only meeting once a month. I hope the Sim treats it more fairly than my team last year, but I don't even care because I know my fellow GMs will respect the hustle.

edit: I mixed up Okogie and Okoro. I have Okogie.
to confirm I actually got the guy I wanted I just double checked to make sure and according to noted pulbication Bright Side of the Sun "Okogie’s game is, and always has been, about a lot more than scoring. He’s a dynamo at on-the-ball defense, using his 7-foot wingspan and leaping ability to block jump shooters and disrupt passing lanes."

BWV fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 16, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Welcome to your BYOGM 2023 Minnesota Timberwolves

I built this team using principles on what I believe leads to championships, let's go through the roster while I talk through it

1: You need someone who can be The Guy. It's not something that you can strictly define but you know it when you see it. These are guys who, when everything is on the line, not only do you want the ball in their hands but you don't freak out about what they're going to do. You trust them to come up big when they need to. This is the kind of player who thrives in the playoffs. There's not as many of these kinds of players in the league as people think.

Anthony Edwards is The Guy.

He continues to improve every facet of his game every year. His PPG in the playoffs is five points higher than his PPG in the two seasons he made it (and even higher than that if I include his rookie year). He's a leader by example in every sense. And his offensive prowess often overshadows the huge leaps he's made as a defender. I could cite him being top ten in steals per game but that doesn't always translate to good defense. Instead I'll show you how he's put in the work, and it's paying off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keo7fqWVLkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjiCZj0ujrg

2: You need someone who can be The Co-Star. Someone who can share the load. Preferably someone who can also create a shot when you need it, and that you can trust to carry the team when The Guy just isn't feeling it, or who can punish the other team if they try to take him out of the game.

Zach LaVine is The Co-Star

Zach is capable of scoring in bunches. He's a better scorer than Ant. And just like Ant, if the ball is in his hands at the end of the game, I'm perfectly happy. Ask the Hornets.. Having two guys who can dagger you makes end of game scenarios incredibly tough to defend. Zach is not here for his defense, but we have other guys to do that. The most underrated aspect of his game is how much he's improved as a passer, though
https://twitter.com/the_bball_index/status/1622595983304540163

3: You need someone who can be The Anchor. A guy who can keep your team grounded. Someone who can stop things from spiraling out of control. Someone who can slow things down if you need to. And nobody is better at slowing things down than...

https://twitter.com/nba_paint/status/1397234648913219597

Kyle Anderson is The Anchor

Slo-Mo is the do it all guy for this team. He can guard 1-4 with ease (which, paired with Ant, allows me to hide LaVine on whomever I need to). He can take over as a point guard on offense to bring things back into order if we're losing control. And if you leave him open when Ant and Zach are getting hot, his 51/41 shooting splits will punish you for forgetting him.

Those three are the core of my team, and the reason that they can beat anyone in the league. Playmaking, Defense, and Clutch™ that can match up with anyone out there. But there are still other important roles on the team that I'll go over real quick

The Sniper: Bojan Bogdanović. I'm not sure a lot needs to be said about him, we all know what he's about. Nearly 22 ppg with a 62.7 TS%, 41.1% from three. His job is to be open and hit shots. He is extremely good at his job.

The Clean-up Man: Kevon Looney. Looney has an absurd defensive rebounding rate (14 R/36), and that doesn't go away in the playoffs (18.8). He also understands how to take advantage of open lanes for easy layups and dunks from backdoor passes (63% from the field on ~7 shots/36). His net rating of +30 in each of the past two playoffs (higher in the 22-23 regular season) attests to this. And while people may claim that this is just because of his system, the team I've built is very capable of being the same kind of offense and defense that he's excelled in all these years. It's insane to me that he was only $35 tbqh.

The Supporting Cast (aka the bench)
6th man: Alec Burks is at his best when he can come of the bench and just Get Buckets. His shooting splits over the last two seasons go from 38.1/38.5/83.7 to 43.2/42.8/80.5, and about a 40 point bump to TS as well, between starting and coming off the bench. And with an assist% of 30.7 on those twos (accounting for half his shots) he's creating a lot of those buckets himself.
The Stopper: I'm not sure what happened with Jae Crowder last year but he's still an excellent defender who will probably see a ton of minutes for this team, especially in crunch time. He's another guy that helps me protect LaVine on defense.
Mr Consistency: TJ McConnell has been in the league 8 years and been a backup PG for most of it. He doesn't score much (11.6 career pts/36) but he still manages to find a way to average 5 APG on about 20 minutes per night. With him on the floor I know I still have a guy who can keep things running smoothly without losing control of the game or the offense. Another steal, at only $17, even other GMs recognize his incredible value
The Big Guys: Darius Bazley gives the backup unit some low post scoring, and Andre Drummond cleans up the glass. With Anderson and Crowder's versatility allowing them to play significant minutes at the four (along with BojBog starting there), these guys shouldn't be seeing a ton of minutes, but when they get them they will make good use of them.

The Rest: Ty Jerome is actually a potentially good shooter and usable, Luka Garza had a good game or two for the Wolves, Raul Neto has a fun name, Jay Huff looks like one of my friends, and KZ Okpala I guess was another Name Guy that I bid on for some reason. None of these guys should really ever matter but Jerome and Garza do at least provide me with some OK depth at their positions.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 15, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Two notes for IcePhoenix: I think I said earlier that Looney was a guy I didn't even see on the day he was available. So if you're wondering why no one bid over 35, well, that's my reason.

A hype post so in depth should maybe mention TJ McConnell's awesome Steal%. Being in the top 10 in the league four times, and top 1 in the league once.

Iunno why I'm helping you out. I do like your team, for whatever it's worth. Gonna be interesting to see what teams win what categories.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

Two notes for IcePhoenix: I think I said earlier that Looney was a guy I didn't even see on the day he was available. So if you're wondering why no one bid over 35, well, that's my reason.

A hype post so in depth should maybe mention TJ McConnell's awesome Steal%. Being in the top 10 in the league four times, and top 1 in the league once.

Iunno why I'm helping you out. I do like your team, for whatever it's worth. Gonna be interesting to see what teams win what categories.

It's fun to go super in depth but I find that if you go to far people sort of stop reading and just gloss over the rest (I am guilty of this as well) so I wanted to focus most of it on the starters and leave short blurbs for the bench. I appreciate your comment though and have given you credit for it in the post!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have irrational affection for good bench players on bad or mediocre teams. I feel like players get this weird stigma among fans, where if you're on the bench of a team that's already bad, you have to be really, really bad. But honestly, most of the time, those problems start at the top.

Conversely, really mediocre players on very good teams get some extra shine, so I guess it evens out.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

As the new GM of the Yuta Jazz I’m here to explain the plan and procedures of putting together this team. Much like how the team’s namesake was inherited (from new orleans) and the league didn’t let them change it at the time (presumably to something appropriate like the Utah Turnips), I took the position despite everybody around here looking like freaky doll people with all their buttons done up. I accepted this position because of a pun I thought of at the moment of the offer, and now I’m practically drowning in conservatively clad christian creeps.

Anyways, here’s a metaphor: Let's say you want to put a band together but don’t already know any other musicians. You start with what you can find and you build around it, filling gaps and covering niches until you have a beautiful sounding harmony of tins, winds, and skins.

Suggested listening

Getting Clint Capela and Tyrese Maxey so early and for such decent pay set the stage for the rest of the team. We started with prodigious interior scoring, speed, interior defence, and rebounding. Our next major pickup, Draymond, was based on the necessity for exceptional passing to facilitate our intended wide ranging skill set, as well as absolutely shutting down the interior. Yuta and Corey were brought in for outside shooting, and the pun. At this point it was noted that we needed a superstar, and to cover all the holes that remained in our game, Hali was the obvious choice. He’s at worst, good at everything, and awesome at the things we were still missing out on (3s, ball handling, etc). From there it was just about finding more support for the other bits of the construction. A random bid on day one meant we had to at least try for the Holiday Trifecta, but failed to bag Jrue, which was the better outcome.

Front Court
We’re lacking a bit of oomph. We’re not gonna be walling off your big boys in the paint, but on the other hand, any missed shot is going to magnetize like Clint, Dray or Mo are casting mage hand, snatching that poo poo right out the air. I don’t care how good your shooters are, they’re gonna miss more than 50% of the time, and they’re never getting that bumpy orange fucker back. Anybody less than 300 pounds though is going to have a hell of a difficult time getting through us, and offensively Clint’s interior scoring is going to smush so many of this league’s basically big-less lineups. Those that put up a struggle will get caught out by Dray’s passing. Our lack of bigass power forwards is hopefully offset by our smaller forwards being able to score big points from a distance.

Back Court
We lack a bit in terms of traditional point guard dribbling/facilitating. Hali will be able to move the ball around and find scorers in the moment, and he’ll have Dray to help, but I forsee turnovers being more pronounced with this team than perhaps the average group. That being said, our guys can score from all sorts of places to a degree that will leave the rest of the league pondering “How'd he do that?” I wouldn’t want to defend Maxey, nor Hali, and combining them sounds like a god drat nightmare. Lonzo’s injuries (in previous years!!!) led to an attempt to grab him for a song and keep him as a solid defensive backup PG who’ll be able to have probably one last hurrah before his career is probably over for good. Justin Holiday can shoot threes pretty alright.

Bringing this all back to the music analogy, the Tyreii are our saxophonists. Wide range, plenty of impact and character, can support the other instruments but can also pierce through into the spotlight. Yuta, Corey and De’Andre are like trumpeters. More specialized, less leading or pleasant but bringing in both support and a fullness to the group that elevates the sound. Lonzo and Justin got trombones. They doot around the periphery. Clint and Mo are on the drums and congas respectively, laying the foundation, leading the rhythm. Dray has a shaker.

Starters:
PG: Tyrese Haliburton
SG: Tyrese Maxey
SF: Yuta Watanabe (it's his team after all)
PF: Draymond Green
C: Clint Capela

Backups:
PG: Lonzo Ball / Aaron Holiday
SG: Justin Holiday / James Bouknight
SF: Corey Kispert / De'Andre Hunter
PF: Ousmane Dieng / De'Andre Hunter
C: Moritz Wagner

Moral Support:
Gorgui Dieng & Marko Simonovic

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I will try my best to make sure the name "Yuta Jazz" doesn't impact my voting but I'm only human.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mildly regretting not posting the Ant/Yuta dunk clip in my hype post because that being directly before Giggs post would have been incredibly funny

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't know if Giggs mentioned it but I just discovered a new tab on his sheet with all the rosters/rotations we've posted about on it, pretty nifty!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh wait, I hosed up my lineup for the Bucks.

PG: Spencer Dinwiddie
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Miles Bridges
PF: SImmons
C: Isiah Stewart

Bigs: Toppin, WCS, McGee
Wings: Warren, KBD
Guards: Westbrook (6th man), Nunn, Langford

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know if Giggs mentioned it but I just discovered a new tab on his sheet with all the rosters/rotations we've posted about on it, pretty nifty!

oh this is rad, thanks for pointing it out, and thanks a ton for doing this Giggs!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN YOUR SAN ANTONIO SPURSSSSSS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULwKP0rehI

Starting Lineup
Bam Adebayo
Jonathan Kuminga
Josh Richardson
Luka Dončić
Derrick White

Backups
Jock Landale
David Roddy
Jordan Nwora
Justise Winslow
Kira Lewis Jr.

Third String
Dewayne Dedmon
Ish Wainwright
Dante Exum

People Who Were Erased From the Team Photo
Juan Toscano-Anderson
Moses Brown

Yall can look up the stats your drat selves. I'm not a "stats-based" GM. The only number that matters to me is "15" and guess what, I did it. 15 players.

I feel like I've assembled a solid defensive team around Luka, both in terms of starters and backups. Bam the perennial DPOY candidate, D-White, J-Rich, and Kuminga (who I expect to step up into a bigger role) should be solid pieces for Luka to work with, and I don't expect the team will ask Bam to shoulder too much of an offensive load now that he's got a co-star who actually won't shirk from offensive responsibilities when it's prime time. Shooters gonna shoot.
White, Richardson, and Nwora should provide some decent shooting options for Luka to dish to.
Most importantly, I think LukaBam is a pretty logical and solid super star pairing. I think it's a perfect scenario, and I imagine a lot of chemistry and wide open passes to Bam under the rim. I've definitely done a better job with roster construction than a certain hypothetical Shark Tank CYBERDUST dipshit and his buddies, and I think that's a very impressive bar to clear for someone who's only occasionally sober.

But more importantly, I urge all rival GMs to just take a minute and look at this guy

Take a look at that picture again. Really look. Get your face as close to the screen as possible until your eyes hurt. Treat it like a Magic Eye. This guy's gonna beat you. He's going to revolutionize the field of hair theory. He already has.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 15, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This was never the plan.

When Trae Young walked into Mr. Rivetz’s office in Charlotte and said, “It’s Cleveland or nothing.” The GM did right by the point guard and sent him to the city he loves. While the original vision of the Cleveland Cavaliers was 3 and D at all five positions, the arrival of the new star meant a change in philosophy and moving Darius Garland to two spot. Mr. Young may not play much defense, but when life gives you a Trae, you just have to shake it and see what falls out.

The Starters

1- Trae Young - We all know Trae. He’s a living, breathing, bucket who averages 26 and shoots 35 percent from three. Trae can be a chucker, yes, but he also averages 10 assists per game. Most importantly, he isn’t afraid to take the big shot when time is expiring. He’ll begin the season as the primary facilitator and offensive number one. He seemed to lose himself a bit last year, but we know he is a proven playoff performer and can hit a shot from anywhere on the court. He can be the guy.

2- Darius Garland - Despite unknowns surrounding his off-ball efficacy, Darius Garland is a luxury at the two spot. The flexibility to take over handling duties from Trae allows for creative substitutions and a solid insurance policy against injuries or bad foul nights. On nights when both are cooking, Darius is a potent offensive threat who hits threes at over 40 percent and can get to the cup. Although the duo will not be winning any defensive awards, this is one of the best backcourts in the league.

3- Michael Porter Jr - Another guy who shoots 40 percent from three and averages 20 ppg, only this one can play defense. Emphasis on the word can. Mike Malone convinced him to care enough on the defensive end to improve his reputation last season, and MPJ has the physique to guard the association’s best wings. Does he have the dawg?

4- Evan Mobley - Evan Mobley, the team’s highest paid player, has the biggest challenge of his career ahead of him this season. Although he’s a capable enough offensive player, who has increased his offensive production over his first two seasons, Mobley’s real purpose on the team is, of course, defensive. A stellar three level defender and perennial DPOY candidate, Evan may find himself stretched or covering for blown defensive assignments in the frontcourt. Fortunately, he doesn’t have to work alone.

5- Steven Adams - Steven Adams is the perfect defensive complement to Evan Mobley. While Mobley is a defensive unicorn, Adams is a brick wall. Mobley’s lack of weight limits him against offensive bangers and big centers, but Adams is quite possibly the baddest motherfucker in the NBA and has the strength and size to deal with anyone in the NBA. Adams is also a vortex who absorbs rebounds, which should both allow Mobley to focus on blocking shots and rim protection, as well as enable Young, Garland, and Porter Jr to fire threes with impunity (the trio averaged 20 attempts per game combined last season). Take the REBs over. Adams brings a near lethal dose of dawg to this team.

The Bench

6- Buddy Hield (SF) - Buddy shoots 43 percent from 3 and is underappreciated defensively. He’s a perfect bench gunner and 6MOTY candidate. Ideally he’ll receive close to starter’s minutes.

7- Dorian Finney Smith (PF) - Archetypal 3 and D guy… We’re just hoping that we get Dallas DFS and not Brooklyn DFS. For opponents who demand a greater defensive focus, DFS can start at PF while Mobley shifts to center and Adams comes off the bench.

8 - Nickeil Alexander-Walker (SG) and Devonte Graham (PG) - Not quite the backup guards that I imagined, but both are capable shooters. Graham specifically has the capacity to get hot, but NAW isn’t a slouch on defense and both shoot 38 percent from the field and 35 from three.

10 - Charles Bassey (C) - One given an expanded role by the Spurs, Bassey proved that he has the ability to play center in the association. The Sixers are morons who can’t develop talent.

The Benchwarmers
Talen Horton-Tucker
Danuel House
Filip Petrusev
Killian Hayes
Goga Bitadze

Strengths:

Three point shooting
Interior defense
1-6 top-end talent

Weaknesses:

Transitional offense
Flimsy backcourt defense
Lack of deep-playoff experience

No disrespect to the other great teams, but I think in terms of pure talent this is the best 1 through 6 in the league. Come playoffs, this offensive scheme will thrive as teams lock down on turnovers and transitional opportunities fade. The biggest issue is one of leadership. This is a young team, with Adams being the only starter over 30. When the pressure is on in the playoffs, will they fold? Or are we witnessing the rise of a new dynasty? 2015 Warriors? 2015 Hawks? Either way, it will be entertaining.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Reminder: Hype posts due at midnight tonight!

Around that time I will post the questions that I will need votes for for the Goon Voting.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

The 2023 BYOGM Dallas Mavericks.

I got fuckin Unibrow Davis and Spicy P Siakam, with not trashcan Kuzma these three are able to get the basketball and score. Sometimes they can even hit a goddamn three.

There's some prick called Ayo, he's a shooter. Kevin Porter Jr is a passer that can shoot. My bench is guys that aren't actively grenades. The Mavericks are built to get into the playoffs.

Once in the playoffs, these motherfuckers are future Hall of Famers and will goddamn win me a ring. No one cares about bench players in the playoffs.

Vote for The Dallas Mavericks.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UywKZcH_Wk0

And now, the starting lineup...for YOUR BYOGMv.8 Bulls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZo8jfk52w
At guard, from TCU, 6'5", Desmond Bane

A 6'5" guard from Kentucky, Immanuel Quickley

The man in the middle, from Texas A&M, 6'9", Robert Williams

A 6'5" forward from Duke, Luke Kennard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWajqr55HFg
Frrrrom Greece, at forward, 6'11", Giannis Antetokounmpo

This lineup obviously starts with Giannis, the best player in the world. We've surrounded him on the perimeter with three lethal high-volume 3pt shooters (Bane shot 41% on 8 3pa per 36, Kennard shot 49% on 7.5 3pa per 36, and Quickley shot a relatively modest 37% on 7 3pa per 36). Quickley and Bane serve as good secondary shot creators when Giannis is scared he might get fouled, and hell, even Luka Nard is a good PnR ballhandler according to some metrics I vaguely remember reading a while ago. Their lives will be made easier by Williams, who is one of the game's most dangerous vertical threats as a rim runner. Basically, this team is engineered to generate a ton of good looks at the rim and from beyond the arc.

Williams also happens to be a DPOY-quality rim defender playing next to Giannis, so good luck to anyone trying to attack the basket against this team. (This back line will help cover the starting lineup's one minor weakness, which is length on the wings outside of Giannis. But even giving up a little bit of size, Bane is a strong defender, and neither Quickley nor Kennard are guys who teams should be able to feast on in isolation.)

The Bench isn't a showy group, but it's solid as hell 5-10 (and even a few spots beyond that, in case of injury).

You might have never heard of Vasilije Micić, but he's a former EuroLeague MVP who is an excellent shooter and passer, so if his game translates to America, he'll absolutely be an impact rotation player.
Delon Wright brings a steady hand and quality perimeter defense to the backup PG position.
Joe Ingles brings veteran savvy and more pinpoint 3pt shooting. (Ditto for Damion Lee.)
Derrick Jones Jr. and Kenrich Williams provide some length at the wing spots while still maintaining decent floor spacing, plus DJJ can play slot minutes as a small-ball 5 and he fills the requisite "sick dunk guy" spot on the team.
Jalen Smith is a promising young big with potential upside, and he brings some interior offense to the table, which the team is otherwise lacking. (Ditto for Trendon Watford.)
Aaron Wiggins is a high-energy guard to deploy off the deep bench when the situation calls for it.
And Thanasis Antetokounmpo will bring a spirit of brotherly love to the roster.

Projected rotation:

Quickley / Wright / Lee
Bane / Micic / Wiggins
Kennard / Ingles / Thanasis
Giannis / Jones Jr. / Williams
Timelord / Smith / Watford

One final note: Obviously this team is built to compete right now, given the presence of Giannis in his prime, but also, it's built to compete for a looong time. Giannis is the oldest guy in the starting lineup at age 28! Quickley, Bane and Rob Williams are all 25 or younger!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I would definitely watch that Bulls team.

There are a lot of great teams, but seems like everyone has a few weaknesses too. Gonna be interesting!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Alright, welcome to the Sacramento Kings: MAXIMUM BEAM

The real-life Kings had an excellent season with great continuity and smart coaching. The BYOGM Kings might have that, maybe. We have a good collection of players who mesh well together. Beginning with the point guard, Dejounte Murray, he brings a really solid blend of offense and defense to the team. I like how he can distribute, board, and guard the point of attack. The vibes here are a lot better than the Kings so I think he's poised to have a great simulation season.

Donovan Mitchell is going to score tons of buckets and he's going to be the top scoring option on this team. His defense got better last season, but there's enough wing defense around him that he doesn't also need to be the guy guarding every top option.

Other guards on the team include Marcus Sasser, who is in my opinion the next Monte Morris in terms of being a serviceable back-up. Isaiah Wong had some big moments in Miami, I think he won't be scared by the power of the BEAM. Furkan Korkmaz is here for some reason and Lester Quinones is an interesting option as a deep bench option. Plays with moxie!

Keegan Murray and Chris Boucher are the starting forwards. Murray had a big season as a rookie and I don't see him hitting a sophomore wall. I'm big on his upside so I can see him being the defensive ace while being a great spot up shooter. Boucher spaces the floor well and has some size that we definitely need up front. Pat Connoughton, Issac Okoro, and Naji Marshall are the plug and play wings who can provide shooting where needed. I can envision a turbo lineup of Murray/Mitchell/Pat/Okoro/Keegan racking up a ton of points while holding their own on defense for just enough.

Zach Collins is the starting center, with Mark Williams and Trez available to spell him.

The conclusion: This team has a really solid base at guard, and decent enough firepower at the wings to make some noise throughout the sim. We are definitely a playoff team in a soft Western Conference. Light the drat beam y'all

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Indiana Pacers Effort Post

Look, I'm not sure there is anyone who overpaid in aggregate more for their team than I did, thanks to 0 other bids for Embiid and 1 bid of $1 for Dame, so hopefully I get a trophy for that.

Either way, good luck stopping the Dame/Embiid P&R which is going to torch teams for 75 PPG. Fear not, unlike last year's Pacers team, we have a bit of defense this year, courtesy of Davion Mitchell.

Starting Five:
PG - Dame
SG - Austin Reaves
SF - Moses Moody
PF - Larry Nance
C - Embiid

Rotation:
PG - Davion Mitchell
SG - Jaden Ivey
SG - Seth Curry
SG/SF - Moses Moody
SF - Gradey Dick
PF - Kevin Love
C - Robin Lopez

That's a lot of real basketball players!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Knicks Rotation

Starters:

PG - Markelle Fultz
SG - Keldon Johnson
SF - OG Anunoby
PF - Chet Holmgren
C - Kristaps Porzingis

I designed this lineup with the idea that I recognize these names and other people might too

Backups:

PG - Jaylen Nowell
SG - Jaylen Clark
SF - Jaylen Pickett
PF - Jalen McDaniels
C - Jalen Johnson

I was at first disappointed because math is really lovely and I lost out on Jalen Brunson, so I replaced him with many other Jalens.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I readily acknowledge that I'm the least-savvy basketball fan participating in this BYOGM, since 100% of my NBA and FIBA knowledge comes from SAS threads throughout the year. The sport is awesome but I'm pretty drat clueless when it comes to building a roster with complementary parts or with visions of a specific scheme. So I definitely over-relied on the OVR value provided by the sim, and some skimming of pro-basketball-reference and a few other resources, with my goal being to match last year's OKC result (41-41 regular season record, Play-In #10 Seed => #8 Seed, Swept 1st Round).

Strengths:

- Big men
- Defense (i think...?)
- Rebounding (maybe...?)
- Depth

Weaknesses:

- Wings (it's a mess, at least)
- Lead scorer
- Lead play-maker
- Star-power

Roster/Rotation:

PG: Mike Conley / Marcus Smart / Tre Jones / Grayson Allen
SG: Quentin Grimes / Grayson Allen / RJ Barrett / Cody Martin
SF: RJ Barrett / Luguentz Dort / Quentin Grimes / Ziaire Williams
PF: Karl-Anthony Towns / Santi Aldama / P.J. Tucker / R.J. Barrett
C: Jakob Poeltl / Drew Eubanks / Karl-Anthony Towns / Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

Other Thoughts

This squad feels a bit like the Grit 'n Grind Grizz, or maybe those mid-10s Hawks, where there's a lot of starter-caliber talent but the majority of them would be 3rd-5th options on most teams. Definitely a team that won't fare well when teams shorten their benches (barring a dramatic improvement from folks like Grimes, Dort, Barrett, Aldama, Eubanks, etc). But I feel like a talented coaching staff could figure out how to utilize the advantages in depth to push the pace on offense and be a huge pain in the rear end on defense, with a combo like Smart / Allen / Dort / Towns / Poeltl being a potent end-game quintet for protecting a lead.

Anyhow, first time participating in this BYOGM league was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot, and look forward to getting better at this by next summer! Good luck all!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Just discovered all the extra tabs on Giggs' spreadsheet. Holy poo poo, that's some impressive work. Glad to see I wasn't the only serial overpayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Blind Pineapple posted:

Just discovered all the extra tabs on Giggs' spreadsheet. Holy poo poo, that's some impressive work. Glad to see I wasn't the only serial overpayer.

Yeah impressive stuff! It helped me realize I won 4 tie-breakers which is cool but winning 7 is crazy lol.