Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

On Georgia State law?

In a 6—3 decision...

Not going to happen, but remember we are talking Calvin ball rules with this court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Seph posted:

The added cherry on top is that SCOTUS has no jurisdiction over Georgia state crimes.
I mean, if they wanted to, couldn't SCOTUS decide that they do in fact have jurisdiction? What would stop them?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The crises would be if, say, GA convicted him and then Florida (or whatever state) refused to extradite.

Maybe, that would be a federal question I guess. Though it should be a slam dunk for forcing them to extradite unless the state in question has a political policy of encouraging voter fraud and RICO violations.

This SCOTUS hasn't really shown a special willingness to go to bat for Trump so I really doubt they'll cover for him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean, if they wanted to, couldn't SCOTUS decide that they do in fact have jurisdiction? What would stop them?

The other two houses presumably. Worcester v. Georgia is pretty misunderstood in the popular idea of it, but if SCOTUS wanted to open up that can of worms by asking federal marshals to enforce their decision I'd think both the Legislative and the Executive would have plenty to say about it. lol that the next crisis over the powers of the Supreme Court could *also* center around Georgia though.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 16, 2023

Caros
May 14, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Precedent and norms mostly. You'd have a constitutional crisis of epic proportions because the state would almost certainly tell the court to get hosed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pylons posted:

The other two houses presumably. Worcester v. Georgia is pretty misunderstood in the popular idea of it, but if SCOTUS wanted to open up that can of worms by asking federal marshals to enforce their decision I'd think both the Legislative and the Executive would have plenty to say about it. lol that the next crisis over the powers of the supreme court could *also* center around Georgia though.

this is where all hypotheticals involving "what if the supreme court does [insane, unprecedented thing]" end up.

it's a bit of a dead end discussion-wise because once you hit that scale of full-blown constitutional crisis it's anyone's guess what happens and there's not really much to go off of other than "poo poo will be hosed, i hope we win."

i would say, however, in a constitutional crisis, controlling the executive branch and the senate ain't bad and is a hell of a lot better than not controlling the executive and the senate

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Personally I believe that Roberts isn't dumb enough to take a case that would put the Judicial branch on a course for direct conflict with the Executive branch (especially for Trump of all people) but yeah, on the off-chance it happens we're officially in uncharted waters.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Say Georgia DOES find him guilty and Florida DOES refuse to extradite him.

How does that get resolved without it becoming entangled in the federal courts?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Say Georgia DOES find him guilty and Florida DOES refuse to extradite him.

How does that get resolved without it becoming entangled in the federal courts?

It doesn't. Resolving issues between the states is one of the express functions of the federal government.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He's meant to show up for his arraignment next Friday and there's no chance he's making bond under the normal guidelines Georgia follows so uh, we're gonna find that out pretty loving quick, comparatively.

Georgia Guidelines for making bond posted:

1. Poses no significant risk of fleeing from the jurisdiction of the court or failing to appear in court when required;

2. Poses no significant threat or danger to any person, to the community, or to any property in the community;

3. Poses no significant risk of committing any felony pending trial; and

4. Poses no significant risk of intimidating witnesses or otherwise obstructing the administration of justice.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Pylons posted:

He's meant to show up for his arraignment next Friday and there's no chance he's making bond under the normal guidelines Georgia follows so uh, we're gonna find that out pretty loving quick, comparatively.

This is all an interesting topic I hadn't considered. If Florida refuses to extradite, who is representing the decision of "Florida" in the matter? DeSantis?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Scags McDouglas posted:

This is all an interesting topic I hadn't considered. If Florida refuses to extradite, who is representing the decision of "Florida" in the matter? DeSantis?

The attorney general of Florida and their staff would represent the State of Florida in federal court.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
DeSantis going to the mat for a Trump who has been found guilty and who is stuck unable to campaign in Florida seems like an ideal situation for him, too. You know Trump would prefer that over prison as well.

If he gets off on the federal charges but found guilty on the state charges prior to the election, I honestly struggle to see an outcome where that doesn't happen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I don't know why DeSantis wouldn't be love to have his primary political opponent locked up in a Georgia jail awaiting trial and unable to campaign though?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't know why DeSantis wouldn't be love to have his primary political opponent locked up in a Georgia jail awaiting trial and unable to campaign though?

Courting the desperately needed Trump supporters while ever so gently kiiinda running against him really has the balance upset if he helps jail Trump. Just a complete destruction in the primaries with no help for salvation.

IMO of course.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

If he allows it to happen he's turbofucked, the Trump base will not trust him or back him at all.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Also I live in FL and I would hit my life's high watermark permanently if I was part of the crew to go get him and bring him to Georgia. Maybe there's time to apply as a Palm Beach officer.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

If he was literally anyone else, that would be ideal. But he's the governor of Florida, and allowing Trump to be extradited will guarantee the Trumpists (directed by Trump himself in all likelihood) turn on him and cast him as part of the "deep state", a traitor. If he defends Trump, however, he'll be a hero, standing against tyranny - and Trump being convicted and stuck in Maralargo doesn't seem any worse for him.

He may *personally* want Trump in jail, anyone else in the primary benefits from Trump being in jail, but DeSantis himself? If that happens when he could have prevented with it a big dramatic showdown, he's toast.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 16, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I mean, even if we assume...

- GA is going to put Trump in prison
- Trump is in FL
- FL refuses to turn Trump over

...you still have to consider that Trump can't leave Florida to any place that would ship him off. He's stuck there. I'd imagine it's kind of hard to campaign from a single state.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

If he was literally anyone else, that would be ideal. But he's the governor of Florida, and allowing Trump to be extradited will guarantee the Trumpists (directed by Trump himself in all likelihood) turn on him and cast him as part of the "deep state", a traitor. If he defends Trump, however, he'll be a hero, standing against tyranny.

He may *personally* want Trump in jail, anyone else in the primary benefits from Trump being in jail, but DeSantis himself? If that happens when he could have prevented with it a big dramatic showdown, he's toast.

The most DeSantis thing to do would be to make a grand public statement against extradition, get immediately overruled by the courts (because this is settled case law) and wipe his hands of the whole matter.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So the GEORGIA case mentions other states he was trying to do the same thing in.

Why aren’t we hearing investigations there?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pillowpants posted:

So the GEORGIA case mentions other states he was trying to do the same thing in.

Georgia has a ridiculously permissive RICO statute and the only other state they stole voter data in was Colorado, which Trump didn't try to swing.

Those are two unique things that might be determinative, but also there are certainly going to be intangible factors like will and public sentiment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Michigan indicted a bunch of the fake electors a few weeks ago.

I don't know what they're doing elsewhere.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are we finally going to get that sweet Trump mugshot sometime in the next ten days?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

I mean, even if we assume...

- GA is going to put Trump in prison
- Trump is in FL
- FL refuses to turn Trump over

...you still have to consider that Trump can't leave Florida to any place that would ship him off. He's stuck there. I'd imagine it's kind of hard to campaign from a single state.

He'd probably only go to places he knew wouldn't extradite him, like Henry Kissinger.

or he could just run from his home state like rutherford b hayes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

are we finally going to get that sweet Trump mugshot sometime in the next ten days?

The sheriff yesterday said they'd do a normal mugshot, no special treatment.

But also :shrug:.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1691636484707647596

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I think being a fugitive probably violates his pretrial release conditions in both federal cases. The feds don't care if Florida extradites.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
a bunch of armed chuds will surround maralargo. trump will be too scared to come out, florida will be too scared to make them leave. either trump is trapped full time by his fans and the ring of feds right outside it or the shooting starts.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The "surround the place and only allow disdos, lube, and sugar free gummi bears to get through the checkpoints" worked pretty well at the last chud occupation.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

InsertPotPun posted:

a bunch of armed chuds will surround maralargo. trump will be too scared to come out, florida will be too scared to make them leave. either trump is trapped full time by his fans and the ring of feds right outside it or the shooting starts.

This is also why, presuming that Trump gets sentenced to any time, I don't expect house arrest. No one wants to deal with the risk of some dumbass militia trying to free the greatest martyr of our lives, and a prison makes that easier to deter.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

Trying to overthrow the election is not part of the job description of the president's chief of staff, he isn't getting poo poo moved anywhere.

Yeah, Meadows is charged with “solicitation of violation of oath of a public officer” as his contribution to the conspiracy and I don’t see how an officer of the government who is himself under oath can claim that such an act is part of his official duties.

Anyway, it’s probably good to see the rats trying to get themselves disassociated from Trump makes the main trial easier if a lot of the chaff get spun out into their own trials.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Killer robot posted:

This is also why, presuming that Trump gets sentenced to any time, I don't expect house arrest. No one wants to deal with the risk of some dumbass militia trying to free the greatest martyr of our lives, and a prison makes that easier to deter.

Obviously we have to Typhoid Mary his rear end onto an island. It's the only way.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

I doubt it. Only a few have shown up for any of these big events and they’re often outnumbered by the counter protesters and sometimes even just by the media presence. By most accounts they are sitting around telling each other that these things are just honeypots to entrap them.

“I’d go defend what I honestly think is the direct subversion of my country and its legitimate president who I follow unquestioningly but, uh, I could get arrested.”

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Murgos posted:

I doubt it. Only a few have shown up for any of these big events and they’re often outnumbered by the counter protesters and sometimes even just by the media presence. By most accounts they are sitting around telling each other that these things are just honeypots to entrap them.

“I’d go defend what I honestly think is the direct subversion of my country and its legitimate president who I follow unquestioningly but, uh, I could get arrested.”
to be fair the last couple were mostly surprises. this georgia one we only knew about a few hours before

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Obviously we have to Typhoid Mary his rear end onto an island. It's the only way.

That didn’t work out so well last time but I guess as long as we don’t use St. Helena…

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

Michigan is charging 16 false electors with felonies. I assume they're trying to get some of them to flip on Trump.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

quote:

But it took a bruising battle with Twitter’s attorneys in January and February — punctuated by a blistering analysis by a federal judge, who wondered whether Elon Musk was attempting to “cozy up” to the former president by resisting the special counsel’s demands — before prosecutors got the goods.

Ok guys I know it's a probably crackpot level conspiracy theory but maybe she's actually on to something.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Xiahou Dun posted:

Didn't John Dean serve his time in a military prison?

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards LOLS.

(My apologies to Dr. King)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Pillowpants posted:

Pennsylvania's fake electors added a sentence that they were conditional if other electors were disqualified, I forget which other state did this. This is something that was not approved by whoever led the conspiracy. No idea if it keeps them out of trouble.