Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im extremely conservative in that if i think when you go out into the woods you should not chainsaw down 120 year old aspens to fuel your gender reveal fire
im extremely liberal in that if i think you want to live in a city and be gay and/or trans and get your food delivered but also you don't swat kill your political opponents that's cool too

so im a centrist really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

most of those “actual conservatives” viewpoints are actually liberal political viewpoints, op

conservatism is just resisting change

while it depends on how you frame "conservatism", that's mostly true, classical political liberalism has been dominant throughout the history of the united states (and most other nations). and you're right, conservatism is by most definitions resistant to the constant change that most forms of liberalism strive for. while both could probably not exist without the other, conservatism absolutely inherently requires liberalism to exist as it is a reactionary movement

post hole digger posted:

there is no such thing as 'actual conservativism', the entirety of the conservative project only exists as reaction.

this is correct

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Beeftweeter posted:

actual conservatives: the rule of law is absolute
2023 republicans: donald trump did nothing wrong
etc

actual National Review style conservatives get like 4% of the vote now because people realised they can get the racism and hate they want without the neocon corporatism and blandness.

Aug 15, 2023
𝚞𝚙𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎: there are a lot of problems with your existence

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

actual National Review style conservatives get like 4% of the vote now because people realised they can get the racism and hate they want without the neocon corporatism and blandness.

yeah that's kinda what i meant by "actual conservatives". they have been basically subsumed by what i guess i'll call authoritarian libertarians and it has been an interesting shift to witness, but it's one that has really been underway for most of our lives. it just accelerated about 20 years ago

i don't think that "conservative libertarianism" really well defines the modern republican party, but it's probably the best fit i can think of for what is now the mainstream. "conservatism" as a social ideology is so nebulous and contextual that it's hard to define; as noted in other posts it could basically refer to any reactionary, but in the modern lexicon i think generally you could say it is "a policy of maintaining the sociological status quo". of course, since "the sociological status quo" is not constant, its aims shift regularly. and in the united states at least, the term also heavily implies economic ideology that could be described as "liberal". american conservatism is its own distinct strain

i think the wikipedia definition is a pretty good one:

quote:

In the United States, conservatism is based on a belief in limited government, individualism, traditionalism, republicanism, and limited federal governmental power in relation to U.S. states.[1] Conservative and Christian media organizations, along with American conservative figures, are influential, and American conservatism is one of the majority political ideologies within the Republican Party.[2][3][4]

American conservatives tend to support Christian values,[5] moral absolutism,[6] traditional family values,[7] and American exceptionalism,[8] while opposing abortion, euthanasia, same-sex marriage, and transgender rights.[9] They tend to favor economic liberalism and neoliberalism,[10][11] and are generally pro-business and pro-capitalism,[12][13] while opposing communism and labor unions.[14][15][16] They often advocate for a strong national defense, gun rights, capital punishment, and a defense of Western culture from perceived threats posed by both communism and moral relativism.[17][18] 21st-century American conservatives tend to question epidemiology, climate change, and evolution more frequently than moderates or liberals.

you can see this ideology develop throughout american history because it is inherently reactionary to social progress. a lot of its core tenets have remained more or less constant although there have been noticeable shifts in the past few decades. this post is getting way too long already but i'll end it by noting their slide into authoritarianism, which was pretty much always adjacent to the conservative movement but typically rejected for being too anti-democratic by the majority of the party. that seems no longer applicable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm just so tired of all this politics

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

I'm just so tired of all this politics

Sounds like you need a Rally To Restore Sanity, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sounds like you need a Rally To Restore Sanity, OP

Make sure to invite Cat Stevens.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah that's kinda what i meant by "actual conservatives". they have been basically subsumed by what i guess i'll call authoritarian libertarians and it has been an interesting shift to witness, but it's one that has really been underway for most of our lives. it just accelerated about 20 years ago

i don't think that "conservative libertarianism" really well defines the modern republican party, but it's probably the best fit i can think of for what is now the mainstream. "conservatism" as a social ideology is so nebulous and contextual that it's hard to define; as noted in other posts it could basically refer to any reactionary, but in the modern lexicon i think generally you could say it is "a policy of maintaining the sociological status quo". of course, since "the sociological status quo" is not constant, its aims shift regularly. and in the united states at least, the term also heavily implies economic ideology that could be described as "liberal". american conservatism is its own distinct strain

i think the wikipedia definition is a pretty good one:

you can see this ideology develop throughout american history because it is inherently reactionary to social progress. a lot of its core tenets have remained more or less constant although there have been noticeable shifts in the past few decades. this post is getting way too long already but i'll end it by noting their slide into authoritarianism, which was pretty much always adjacent to the conservative movement but typically rejected for being too anti-democratic by the majority of the party. that seems no longer applicable

i'm a fan of bob altemeyer's "right-wing authoritarian" terminology, derived from his psychology research

his book "the authoritarians" is free here: https://theauthoritarians.org/options-for-getting-the-book/ — probably not much in it that the cohort here would find surprising aside from the particulars of his research, but i found it a very useful book to help me gain my own understanding of us "conservatives" back when i first read it 10 or 15 years ago

Apr 7, 2003

well-read undead posted:

i'm a fan of bob altemeyer's "right-wing authoritarian" terminology, derived from his psychology research

his book "the authoritarians" is free here: https://theauthoritarians.org/options-for-getting-the-book/ — probably not much in it that the cohort here would find surprising aside from the particulars of his research, but i found it a very useful book to help me gain my own understanding of us "conservatives" back when i first read it 10 or 15 years ago

I'm a big fan of that book. A lot of internet leftists don't like it because it doesn't take material conditions into account, but the material conditions theory of fascism falls apart once you realize that most of our hardest fascists are used car dealers, realtors, and fast food franchisees anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I'm a big fan of that book. A lot of internet leftists don't like it because it doesn't take material conditions into account, but the material conditions theory of fascism falls apart once you realize that most of our hardest fascists are used car dealers, realtors, and fast food franchisees anyway.

Yeah, the vanguard party of reaction in the US are the petit bourgeois small business owners. They were certainly overrepresented in the January 6 crowd.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

that book was legit a pretty big part of my shift from liberal to leftist and im curious how it'd hold up if I reread it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"material conditions" doesn't mean "poor people turn right-wing." it means that peoples politics flow from their relationship to capital, and in that theory, the petit bourgeois owners of car dealerships and dental practices are exactly who you would expect to go fascist first. they own significant capital, but are most precarious among those who do.

Apr 7, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

"material conditions" doesn't mean "poor people turn right-wing." it means that peoples politics flow from their relationship to capital, and in that theory, the petit bourgeois owners of car dealerships and dental practices are exactly who you would expect to go fascist first. they own significant capital, but are most precarious among those who do.

You should go tell the internet leftists that

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that doesn't seem like it would accomplish much

Apr 7, 2003

Realtors are so loving good at lying it's incredible

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1429-Alton-ST%27_rb/11444929_zpid/

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Truman Peyote posted:

I’ve not read the book but I assume it deals with the fact these movements are 96% white people at some point too.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not familiar with that book but i read the reactionary mind by corey robin when the first edition come out around 2012 or so and it covers a lot of the stuff beeftweeter was talking about in the second half of that post and traces the hisotrical origins of the idea a bit more, beyond even the US back to the french revolution. pretty good read if are into that sort of thing.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my absurdly reductionist take of the authoritarians, that is, what i internalized from reading it, is this:

no matter what people you're talking about, and regardless of any external conditions, about 20% of them will always be unreasonable garbage humans and you can't do a goddamn loving thing about it. things like ideology and politics don't actually matter at all, and it is literally impossible to reason with them

and so the test for any given system is how empowered or disempowered these people are to act on all their worst impulses. whether they're given leaders to follow, whether their grievances are given air to breathe. and brother we're not doing so good at any of that stuff!!

Apr 7, 2003

well-read undead posted:

my absurdly reductionist take of the authoritarians, that is, what i internalized from reading it, is this:

no matter what people you're talking about, and regardless of any external conditions, about 20% of them will always be unreasonable garbage humans and you can't do a goddamn loving thing about it. things like ideology and politics don't actually matter at all, and it is literally impossible to reason with them

Pretty much - a significant number of the Trump boomers got their political start being Jimmy Trafficante-style anti-Reagan guys, which segued into opposing GHWB, which turned into being anti-Clinton in all ways, which somehow turned into being anti-Clinton in all ways forever. They're not defined by what they care about, they're defined by oppositional defiance.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ah, there's a good tweet about this making the rounds

https://twitter.com/EdbieLigerSmith/status/1691474226941755392

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

"social values" usually means, like, letting trans people exist peacefully, so no i tend not to budge on that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pretty much - a significant number of the Trump boomers got their political start being Jimmy Trafficante-style anti-Reagan guys

lol no.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

quiggy posted:

"social values" usually means, like, letting trans people exist peacefully, so no i tend not to budge on that

ive listened to some of that guys podcasts, and what he actually thinks is that there are sometimes social contradictions that become primary, that mean people fundamentally cant work together, until the contradictions are resolved. like, you cant honestly ask black people and the klan to work together on their common economic problems

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i always liked the presentation and phrasing in https://medium.com/extra-extra/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376, that tolerance is a peace treaty, not a moral absolute or suicide pact, when one side breaks a peace treaty, the whole thing is off

so there is no such thing as "tolerance" of nazis or the kkk, they are not playing the same game

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cat Face Joe posted:

ah, there's a good tweet about this making the rounds

https://twitter.com/EdbieLigerSmith/status/1691474226941755392

problems bad, causes good, etc

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

in youngstown, absolutely yes

itd be interesting to look up the data on this though, idk how many counties are like mahoning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah well the current situation is culture wars between us plebs, incited and driven by the ruling class who dont actually care about any of that stuff, and while we're all busy arguing with our lovely uncle the people who actually own everything are changing material reality to give themselves more money. at some point you have to stop playing that game or you just give up and lose forever

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fart simpson posted:

yeah well the current situation is culture wars between us plebs, incited and driven by the ruling class who dont actually care about any of that stuff, and while we're all busy arguing with our lovely uncle the people who actually own everything are changing material reality to give themselves more money. at some point you have to stop playing that game or you just give up and lose forever

true but also a year ago a trans woman was stabbed to death at the laundromat a few blocks from here because she was "deceiving" the men so like it's easier for some people to do this than others

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

the turn to authoritarianism isn't really unexpected. as i said in the other post authoritarianism has always been adjacent to the conservative movement: it's basically baked in. there are certainly degrees of american conservatism, but the form that is predominant today basically opposes social progress in any form to the point of being regressive

inherent in conservative ideology is resistance to it. the existence of social progress (or just change in general) to oppose necessitates proponents of progress being resistant to its regression. american conservatives historically did not oppose progress in totality — many developments were at the very least tolerated, if not adopted, due to their adherence to economic liberalism; once the benefits of, for example, racial integration became economically clear and outweighed the social cost to racists, bitter opposition to the concept was dropped. as long as the changes to social policy led to economic prosperity, they were acceptable, or at least palatable. this is not really the case today

imo, that problem is twofold. first, the conservative elite is already very wealthy and politically powerful. they have built up enough generational wealth and consolidated enough power to the point where they do not need to be more permissive in order to maintain their position at or approaching the top of the social hierarchy. basically, since the goal of the movement is to maintain the existing hierarchy, and they are at the top of it, no changes to it are necessary. those that are not at the top of the economic hierarchy nevertheless believe that the shared set of social beliefs that bind them with their wealthier cohort will allow them to one day get there. of course, this is despite their own policies being designed to keep them in their place: maintenance of the status quo means just that, for all of them — social, economic, racial, religious, etc.

secondly, and relatedly, there is no clear economic benefit for most in allowing policies they oppose. to name a few examples, allowing gay people to get married or allowing trans people to transition does practically nothing for them economically and offends them socially. permissive immigration and religious tolerance, in their view, hurts them; immigration threatens the sociological status quo more broadly by diluting their power simply as a function of the population growing, and each new immigrant is potentially an economic threat if their upward mobility is unrestricted. religious tolerance threatens their cultural cohesion and can also threaten their economic position as they are frequently intertwined. the same applies to abortion, climate change denial, industrial or financial regulation, etc. — you name it, they probably see it as a threat in some way, if not only because it offends their nebulous sensibilities. but this is also inherent in a reactionary movement

the problem for them is then that you can't really impede social progress, not forever anyway. eventually, what might be outlier social views turn mainstream. again the example of racial integration is instructive. sure, it was finally achieved, but it took an extremely loving long time due to conservative opposition, and it required a ton of federal legislation and enforcement to finally implement in a lasting way. the lesson the conservative movement took from the experience of integrating was that the levers of government are extremely powerful. the initial response to this was with calls to limit what government can do, by shrinking it to the point where it would not be able to implement its agenda

but as we have discussed that is not really a goal of the movement anymore. they have realized that it is better to actually wield governmental power to achieve their aims. this has manifested in authoritarianism. they are no longer able to convert those that don't already subscribe to their viewpoint with the (mostly false) promises of economic prosperity or social mobility as they are explicitly trying to limit those; even if they could, to a huge segment of the population, their cultural views are unpalatable. so they have to force adherence

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
goddamn that ended up longer than i expected

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i don’t think giving our lovely uncles a break is going to affect the iron grip the ruling class has on every source of wealth in this country

and if we let the most virulent elements of the right hate crime to their hearts’ content, i don’t think that would magically engender some kind of class solidarity that would tip the balance of power

what do we do now fart simpson?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

quiggy posted:

true but also a year ago a trans woman was stabbed to death at the laundromat a few blocks from here because she was "deceiving" the men so like it's easier for some people to do this than others

yep

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

well-read undead posted:

i don’t think giving our lovely uncles a break is going to affect the iron grip the ruling class has on every source of wealth in this country

and if we let the most virulent elements of the right hate crime to their hearts’ content, i don’t think that would magically engender some kind of class solidarity that would tip the balance of power

what do we do now fart simpson?

its not about giving them a break, its that for the left to ever wield power we need to figure out a way to cut through all the culture war stuff and get people to work on a common economic goal. i dont know how you do that in america. if you figure it out you'll be american lenin or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean like for an extreme example, look at the nazis in 1940s germany. you had very ordinary, normal people all throughout german society at least going along with that stuff. the state could ask random german men to go exterminate people and very few of them said no. once the war was over, how did they integrate all those people back into a "normal" society? because most of them didnt hold on to the nazi ideology post war. i mean the basic answer is the war fundamentally changed the reality that they lived in i guess, but you didnt get there by arguing with individual people

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I’ve not read the book but I assume it deals with the fact these movements are 96% white people at some point too.

it's been a decade since i read it but i don't remember anything like that. iirc the "right wing" part of his "right wing authoritarian" moniker was justified pretty much entirely by "in the united states, authoritarians are overwhelmingly right-wing, and since i didn't study any non right-wing authoritarians i call them all the one thing." i found it a pretty weak part of his thesis.

well-read undead posted:

and so the test for any given system is how empowered or disempowered these people are to act on all their worst impulses. whether they're given leaders to follow, whether their grievances are given air to breathe. and brother we're not doing so good at any of that stuff!!

altemeyer briefly touches on this at the end. he says: yeah it's really goddamn hard and there's not really any logic involved, but the only thing that seems like it might possibly work is to make authoritarians feel like you're all part of one shared in-group, which means talking to them and working on shared non-political projects and poo poo.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

decided to reread the authoritarians and boy howdy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

can't imagine right wing authoritarians clinging to an indicted president

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

been a bit too long for me to remember the sort of prevaricating bob did regarding right wing and left wing authoritarianism, but i do remember being slightly and momentarily confused by that. nonetheless, lots of good insight to be had in the book

quiggy posted:

can't imagine right wing authoritarians clinging to an indicted president

don’t worry, nothing like that could ever happen in this amazing country :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

i mean like for an extreme example, look at the nazis in 1940s germany. you had very ordinary, normal people all throughout german society at least going along with that stuff. the state could ask random german men to go exterminate people and very few of them said no. once the war was over, how did they integrate all those people back into a "normal" society? because most of them didnt hold on to the nazi ideology post war. i mean the basic answer is the war fundamentally changed the reality that they lived in i guess, but you didnt get there by arguing with individual people

i hear you loud and clear: we need to go to war