Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
New Cathay LL sounds like fantasy Cao Cao which means I will probably play that campaign repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

I thin the extra achievements are live, can anyone confirm?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They is on Steam. Oh no. Oh nooooo

*hand shoots over to new campaign button.. OVER TWENTY TIMES*

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hoho.... OHOHOH!!!!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doomykins posted:

They is on Steam. Oh no. Oh nooooo

*hand shoots over to new campaign button.. OVER TWENTY TIMES*

...They reused the loving names for the achievements from TW2 for all the returning races.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

neonchameleon posted:

Oh, and archers being cheap given how long they took to train is weird of course.

I think the idea is that no one is training them at all - these are guys who already know how to use a bow and are just being brought into the ranks. I haven't read any Warhams books so maybe I'm wrong but I think the idea is that these dudes go hunting on their own and probably form little militias that defend their villages against random beasties and goblins so any place in the Empire will probably have a population of guys who already are decent archers.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Cythereal posted:

It's a real shame. Arabian high fantasy is a neat as hell aesthetic (see the Academy in Heroes of Might & Magic 5 and the Alin in Rise of Legends), and it would be cool to have human LLs in this game who aren't white people.

Gelt presumably isn't white, given that he is from Araby, but you never see his face.

Yeah they could do a lot of fun stuff with it especially if they just rope in the whole Ottoman thing. Flying carpet wizards, camel cavalry, spinny dervish dudes, Jannisary orcs could be cool, like Orc captives trained to fight in some disciplined formation with gunpowder or something. A genie hero unit? Hashishin agents. I know it is all stereotypes but so is Kislev BEARS AND ICE AND MOTHERLAND and Cathay DRAGONS AND JADE AND HARMONY.

Is Balthazar Gelt an Arab? I was playing the campaign recently and he conquered a town in.... The Mediterranean? Italy? I then got a lore popup from a mod (Legendary Lore I believe) which described Gelt visiting his home town and seeing his parents and they don't recognize him due to the gold mask.

Does anyone like the Harmony mechanic? It annoys the hell out of me while playing Cathay enough that I don't really want to play them again. The penalties are pretty annoying and everytime I take a new town, or by god, confederate, I have to go through and gently caress with all my buildings again. I don't think the bonuses entice me whatsoever to arrange my army any differently than I normally would, but the penalties are annoying for being in disharmony. My peasants are pissed off that I built a training barracks 800 miles away.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 16, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think the idea is that no one is training them at all - these are guys who already know how to use a bow and are just being brought into the ranks. I haven't read any Warhams books so maybe I'm wrong but I think the idea is that these dudes go hunting on their own and probably form little militias that defend their villages against random beasties and goblins so any place in the Empire will probably have a population of guys who already are decent archers.

Yeah it’s this— they, like free company militia, are just nearby dudes who are drunk enough to go to war

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Yeah it’s this— they, like free company militia, are just nearby dudes who are drunk enough to go to war

Free company are paid mercenaries, and I guess the reason they cost more even though they supply their own equipment is their hiring. Archers are exactly the random hunters through the Empire mustered into a militia. They aren't state troops at all and have no formal training. If anything, both free company and archers could have an effect where their upkeep is the same, but they have reduced hiring costs.

Huntsmen I don't know. I think while they aren't state troops they are officially supported somehow.

E: nope. They are just elite archers.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 16, 2023

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They're hunters that reacted to seeing a giant spider or a troll or whatever by reaching for the Big Arrows and have repeatedly lived to tell the tale. They aren't supported by the state because they don't need to be, hunting game like that probably makes them a lot of money.

The existence of Markus Wolfheart and huntsmaster generals probably means there is some support, probably in the way of taking apprentices and accompanying the hunts the lords like to do.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

John Mirra posted:

I thin the extra achievements are live, can anyone confirm?

They have been Steam a few days, but they have 0.0 global completion percentage, so I'm guessing they'll can't be legitimately unlocked yet.

I don't know if it's meant to work this way, there's a good chance it won't, but beating the Zan'baijin battle as Valkia on VH did not get me any Warriors of Chaos achievements :v:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 16, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, I took it as good a time as any to start a new game and hit random. Got Azazel.

My first non-Norscan vassal I subjugated seems to have gotten into the spirit of things nicely.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I know it's just because GW's internal data says they don't sell as well but lol at GW not including either Lizardmen or Skaven, their two most unique armies, in the old world core races. At least they got Tomb Kings right.

Teen me was edgy and played VC/Dark Elves so he would also be disappointed, but from what I've heard 8E VC would not have interested me, a Von Carstein hater, at all anyway. Kinda like VC in this game in that way! I guess since I'm not gonna play old world either way this just proves GW right in who they're targetting though.

I think the original 4 factions (chaos was half assed at launch) were a really good mix of unit types and strategies. You had two factions with elite infantry, two without. Two with awesome cavalry, two without. Two with a bunch of minsters, two without. Two with great range options, two without. Two with disposable chaff, two without. Etc.

It made 4 very unique armies with a certain amount of overlap and a LOT of variety in play style.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

neonchameleon posted:

As for Empire armour, you start by armouring the head and torso and work out. It makes sense to me for the state to provide breastplates or brigandines and helmets, and richer lords or individual troopers to decide whether they want greaves, chain sleeves, or neither.

Munitions armor is the term you're looking for here. The mass produced breastplate and helms being the most common (and important parts) to cover, with their being versions for more bending bits as well, but that starts to cost you. Munitions breastplates and helms have very few to no moving parts, so pretty easy for early trip-hammer factory operations to crank out and train up apprentices under the eye of seniors. And then as guns really started coming into their own, you stopped protecting arms and legs because they just weren't getting maimed in melee as much anymore.

If you really embrace the Empire pre-blowing up the world as just on the cusp of hitting the 30 year war period (which it is, that and the holy roman empire which was fatally wounded by said war, but didn't actually get wiped clean until Napoleon came along and wiped the board clean), then all the pieces make sense. The biggest issue, and this is across the board for factions, is kit doesn't change for the challenge, you just recruit up different units and types. The scrap mechanic really should get rationalized into more factions, specializing already trained and recruited units with specific gear or developed tactics is far more efficient than drawing a poo poo ton of people who need to be farming and poo poo.

But then we start getting into Warhammer as made by Paradox, which I'd be down for, but that's a completely different topic.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TaintedBalance posted:

But then we start getting into Warhammer as made by Paradox, which I'd be down for, but that's a completely different topic.

There is a CK2 mod for Warhammer. It's comprehensive, to say the least (had a bit of trouble with the magic system last time I tried it though).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Can...can you marry Grimgrog?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

There is a CK2 mod for Warhammer. It's comprehensive, to say the least (had a bit of trouble with the magic system last time I tried it though).

I enjoyed their take on certain canon questions (high elf birth rate caused by vortex proximity, etc) and it's cool how vlad sometimes becomes emperor. Also really wish CA had found a way to incorporate something like the Wood Elves "yeah we can just pick a side and join wars when we feel like it" thing

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 16, 2023

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBViTaCMlQ&ab_channel=TotalWar

Is there any reason to play the other Cathay LLs now? Taking control of any neutral army sounds fun.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Twigand Berries posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRBViTaCMlQ&ab_channel=TotalWar

Is there any reason to play the other Cathay LLs now? Taking control of any neutral army sounds fun.

I mean, people play the non-DLC Skaven lords sometimes. For some reason

Also he can reset his reliability to Very High lol. Depending on how the AI responds this is insanely good or 100% worthless (like many things)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pretty messed up to feature kroxigors so heavily in Cathay right now tbh

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also this is the sword active they show:

e: ALSO his "reveal trade partners' territory" passive thing means he can do everyone's favorite thing in the world: meet the donut and trade with the entire donut, just, as soon as he meets one of them. Like Imrik, who's just to the west.

e2: ALSO ALSO one of his compass directions grants character immortality, which coupled with the army-borrowing power means we may have a new king of hero-stealing/copying (for anyone unaware, if you borrow an army with a hero who's immortal, get them killed in a battle, then give the army back, they're copied and added to your wounded pool; Norsca has a tech to make any characters in your armies immortal so they were the best at doing this without having to borrow level 20+ hero armies).

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 16, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Pretty messed up to feature kroxigors so heavily in Cathay right now tbh

is it? I could see them screwing up Nakai as they moved things around in preparation for SoC

plus once they do fix it people will just go back to saying Lizardmen suck and need a rework anyway

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

is it? I could see them screwing up Nakai as they moved things around in preparation for SoC

They already did -- he hasn't been able to recruit kroxes for months now

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

They already did -- he hasn't been able to recruit kroxes for months now

yes that's what I was referring to. I was explaining the how / why did it occur

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's a super simple misplaced database entry, and it's idiotic that CA's so stubborn about not issuing hotfixes but making people wait for major patches to get minor fixes. At least the community bugfix mod is available, but people shouldn't have to do CA's work for free all the time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
honestly at this point I think CA kinda depends on mods. I don't even use them but the last year has been pushing me to at least the community but fix one

I think their testing process has to be broken at this point and they can only support regression testing for major releases

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

don't you have to jump through hoops and pay fees with platform providers each and every time you want to issue a patch

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Steam doesn't charge to patch, and I can't imagine Epic does. I think patching being a pain is just for consoles.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lt. Danger posted:

don't you have to jump through hoops and pay fees with platform providers each and every time you want to issue a patch

Updating a game on Steam is free and fairly straightforward.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/updates

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Whether the achievements are in fact live on Steam or not, I am enjoying the TW3 Warriors of Chaos immensely.

After slapping a collar on Kostaltyn and eradicating Throt, I've gone north and found Boris down to one settlement and half a stack. Now he is also part of Azazel's collection, and duly declared war on his daughter when I picked Katarin for my next target.

I'm kind of aiming to collect all the LLs except skaven I can now, just because. Throgg and Khazrak are steadily succumbing to seductive influence just by peacefully being friends.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah WH3 WoC are a bit of a faceroll but fun as hell regardless. In my last Realm campaign as Valkia I vassalized Kostaltyn just like you, but then two turns later Katarin confederated him and he stabbed me in the back :argh:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Lt. Danger posted:

That's only a console thing and modern TW titles aren't available on consoles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah WH3 WoC are a bit of a faceroll but fun as hell regardless. In my last Realm campaign as Valkia I vassalized Kostaltyn just like you, but then two turns later Katarin confederated him and he stabbed me in the back :argh:

NO loyalty I guess

Exo-
Dec 8, 2021

I really hope they just get rid of the horrible Great Bastion mechanic for the other two Cathay lords and give them something more interesting like this new guy gets. That poo poo really sucks.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Exo- posted:

I really hope they just get rid of the horrible Great Bastion mechanic for the other two Cathay lords and give them something more interesting like this new guy gets. That poo poo really sucks.
Yeah like, he's a Cathay lord whose harmony mechanic is "which actions did you click" instead of "have you thought about how you're going to build every single one of your settlements as you took them? And your lord recruitment? And your tech tree progression? And gently caress you for confederation?" and who gets a much more interesting compass and no bastion crap. Even if the effects weren't super-strong, it's like...QoL-creep if nothing else (which is good! everyone should do this!)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I vassalized Kostaltyn just like you, but then two turns later Katarin confederated him and he stabbed me in the back :argh:

That can happen? I was wondering what the limits to vassalization were, since I've had to pay Kostaltyn to take these random minor settlements off my hands and his opinion of me is only dropping even though he's my vassal, has maxed out Slaanesh corruption, and dutifully followed me when I measured Boris for some leather straps.

I think Azazel is on to something about this guy having the makings of a Chaos Lord of Slaanesh. This event fired about two turns after I vassalized him.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My last cathay playthrough part of my great bastion was attritioned somehow. Why? What?

I still don't understand it and it makes me want to not care about the great bastion.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

the sword was a sidearm

true for a lot of infantry but there are plenty of exceptions to this. the romans, famously, but in the early modern period you had the terico formations which had a third of their number consisting of the good ol sword and boardsmen. there's other examples im forgetting because my memory sucks and im tired but there are other examples where the sword was the primary instrument for a soldier. deffo not as often as the spear but the empire swordsmen aren't the katana samurai of warhams

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jokes posted:

My last cathay playthrough part of my great bastion was attritioned somehow. Why? What?

I still don't understand it and it makes me want to not care about the great bastion.

The Bastions get normal attrition and it’s dumb. The best thing to do is station big armies there and construct the upkeep reduction building. When enemies attack you can just move troops from one Bastion to the other, double-team them, and then return the troops to their barracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Cao Cao in WH3 is gonna be so fun