Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So here's a recap of the thorny issues on the Georgia DA RICO case, from memory on https://www.serioustrouble.show/p/unfortunately-this-episode-is-rico#details. Popehat and Barro got a Georgia Defense Appellate lawyer (Andrew Fleischman) in to try and break things down.

Federal RICO basically says "it's a RICO if 1, 2, 3..., 10". It's convoluted as hell, so federal prosecutors just charge conspiracy as it gets you there with far less work. Georgia RICO basically says "it's a RICO if three people do a crime together". And that's it! So the Georgia DA likes to charge RICO because it lets her bring in lots of non-criminal predicate acts in furtherance of the RICO, like tweets. Also charging RICO is like using an emoji or an exclamation point.

This case is going to get clusterfucked quick. A lot of the defendants, like Meadows, have perfectly plausible cases to get their sides of the case moved to federal court. A lot of the counts involve acts they took as federal officials (like Meadows putting meetings together as Chief of Staff). Also lots of first amendment issues that DOJ tried to avoid. The DA here just put it all out there, DOJ pared things way down.

Ignore everything you read about sentencing guidelines from the national media. In Georgia, even crimes with a mandatory minimum sentence (potentially like the RICO 5-year) can be sentenced to equivalent probation instead. The exception is if the law specifically rules out probation and that's not applicable here. Judges can more or less sentence how they like.

This case ain't going to trial in 6 months. There's a RICO case that's been in jury selection for 8 months. At any time, the defense can petition the state supreme court to answer a legal question and there will be lots of those. Fulton County also has a backlog of 11k defendants either awaiting trial or about to be charged, enough that the ACLU is justifiably stirring up tons of poo poo about it.

But, each defendant probably needs to come up with $1m for a defense lawyer. With how long RICO cases go, the lawyers will be tied up on the case and not taking any other work for like a year. So at least there's that :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
man i found the clip.....man just......holy poo poo

don't click me, nms

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 16, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TheWeedNumber posted:

man i found the clip.....man just......holy poo poo

don't click me, nms

What in the world :catstare:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What in the world :catstare:

Severe unmedicated schizophrenia combined with no mental health support due to schizophrenia-induced job loss in someone who was technically quite a good programmer.

If he was able to keep on his meds he wouldn't have spiraled so far to the point that his elderly parents had to sever ties with him (mostly over his extreme racism), maybe things would have turned out differently, and he would have been a well respected systems researcher or something... but that's just not what happened. :smith: In the last years of his life he was homeless and the last anyone heard of him was that he had accidentally been hit by a train somewhere in southern Oregon or northern California.

It's a really sad story and in the sphere that he was primarily known in (hobby OS development) we don't talk about him much.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Abortion pill / mifepristone case update:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1691882033411199341?t=L3WqCCdttPpJrNFOu4ze0w&s=19

So it's all on a SC hold anyways, but the worst-case scenario appears to have just improved. District Court would've tossed everything because he's an anti-abortion nut job. 5th circuit keeps the FDA approval of mifepristone and also keeps the generic approved in 2019. But, 5th circuit would toss the 2016 FDA rules expanding off-label usage (for longer windows to use it) and the 2021 FDA rules waiving the need to see a doctor to get a prescription.

Tbh, expected worse out of the 5th circuit, like how Chudge Ho basically wrote that unborn babies are precious and abortionists are murderers. Good judicial system we have.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The GAO, frustrated at DoD delays in responses to their audits, publishes study on delays in DoD responses to their audits.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1691946570936140135?t=x4seTpEOV9bM0vv2k1vhwA&s=19

Also, a bunch of members of the grand jury in Georgia have been doxxed.

At some point, you would hope that, in a perfect world, in a vacuum, and some far away universe, that he would get a muzzle put on him somehow, be it through gag order or jail, but it's never going to happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've been following the docket for Meadows removal. The court issued an order saying that Meadows' notice of removal was facially valid (ie meets the procedural requirements) and has temporarily exerted jurisdiction over him. They're going to have an evidentiary hearing to determine if Meadows was acting within the scope of his office, in which case he's immune to prosecution.

Here's the order:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.gand.319225/gov.uscourts.gand.319225.6.0_1.pdf

Willis has until the 23rd to respond to the notice of removal, and then they'll all sit down with the judge and argue whether or not his actions went beyond chief of staff actions.

I'll also note that Meadows may still have to turn himself in and be booked in Fulton county, but he cannot be convicted until the federal judge rules on the matter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The international chess governing body FIDE has banned trans women from competing in women’s tournaments and is stripping trans men of titles already won.

??

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The international chess governing body FIDE has banned trans women from competing in women’s tournaments and is stripping trans men of titles already won.

??
The gently caress would they do that for? Though I suppose the fact that they still have separate women's and men's tournaments probably tells you how modern their attitudes are. Also l had to lol at the last paragraph, which includes a direct quote from the FIDE handbook:

quote:

The FIDE Ethics and Disciplinary Code 2022 states in section 6.6 that it does not tolerate discrimination in chess on the basis of “race, gender, ethnic origin, colour, culture, religion, political opinion, marital status, sexual orientation or any unfair or other irrelevant factor, except as permitted by law.”

Tolerates discrimination when permitted by law? :ok:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Midjack posted:

The gently caress would they do that for? Though I suppose the fact that they still have separate women's and men's tournaments probably tells you how modern their attitudes are. Also l had to lol at the last paragraph, which includes a direct quote from the FIDE handbook:

Tolerates discrimination when permitted by law? :ok:

Legally I must call you the n word as we are playing a scrimmage in Biloxi, Mississippi.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I currently have the flu so I’m a little doped up on meds right now, but is that not allowing trans women to compete as women, while also not allowing trans men’s titles earned pre transition to remain valid unless they change their gender back?

So like just being anti trans without even the fig leaf, and on top of that really leaning into the misogyny?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

??

Bona-FIDE bullshit, that. You might need more question marks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s loving chess. Why the gently caress does that matter for a game? This governing body needs a wedgy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crab Dad posted:

It’s loving chess. Why the gently caress does that matter for a game? This governing body needs a wedgy.

Need to give all the players wedgies to prevent cheating.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They should be more worried about performance enhancing drugs, if the noted documentary Queen’s Gambit is to be believed.

…poo poo that’s probably an actual thing they should worry about. I could definitely see someone getting an advantage if they had just the right mixture of hallucinogens and stimulants in their system.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Being able to get just exactly the right mix of hallucinogens and stimulants for an advantage into your body on demand sounds less like cheating and more like just a different skill :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah everyone wants the Limitless pills

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

eXXXtreme chess: everyone smokes a dab, takes 3 shots of whisk(e)y, then picks 3 different pills we found outside a night club are totally legit party drugs.

The first person to call it a horsey or pass out loses.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh I loooooooooooove this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The city of Yellowknife, capital of the Northwest Territories and home to twenty thousand people, has begun a phased, total evacuation as wildfires move in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crab Dad posted:

The official reasoning appears to be that men are inherently smarter than women, therefore allowing transgender players to compete is inherently unfair because the natural design of their brain removes them from an even footing with other people of their gender.

Yes, it's dumb, sexist, and transphobic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

eXXXtreme chess: everyone smokes a dab, takes 3 shots of whisk(e)y, then picks 3 different pills we found outside a night club are totally legit party drugs.

The first person to call it a horsey or pass out loses.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=j3AEKvsaYBE

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cythereal posted:

The official reasoning appears to be that men are inherently smarter than women, therefore allowing transgender players to compete is inherently unfair because the natural design of their brain removes them from an even footing with other people of their gender.

Yes, it's dumb, sexist, and transphobic.

I do notice that it acknowledges trans men as men (they lose the titles they had an unfair advantage for by being men) while simultaneously saying trans women aren't women

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It's just bigotry by lovely people, there's no logic to it, don't try to find any.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RFC2324 posted:

I do notice that it acknowledges trans men as men (they lose the titles they had an unfair advantage for by being men) while simultaneously saying trans women aren't women

This is shockingly common I feel. Or at least it feels like trans women get way more poo poo than the men do

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is shockingly common I feel. Or at least it feels like trans women get way more poo poo than the men do

Trans men tend to be hairy and masculine enough that cis men don't lust after them, but look at Eliot Page for what happens when they did before he transitioned.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

[Judge threatening tweet]

Check out how big of an idiot she was:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1692031669279035894?t=ImskklbCavsMV-JM-M8rgw&s=19

HELLO MISTER FBI, OF COURSE I'M NOT GOING TO [REDACTED] THE JUDGE, I'D RATHER [REDACTED] A SITTING CONGRESSWOMAN

Usually you're supposed to follow the formula of "I'm not a murderer, I'm a bank robber!" Guilty of lesser thing B, not guilty of greater thing A. This woman was following the formula ABABABAB

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 17, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

she's also got 4 priors for this same poo poo

e: this happened while she was bonded out for the same poo poo

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 17, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Some people need to get new hobbies

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Or to just be sent to prison and put on the new crank yankers

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some people need to get help

ftfy

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Friendly reminder to everyone between Texas and DC: it’s the time of year where hurricanes get lovely, so make sure you’ve got your go bag ready.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

Check out how big of an idiot she was:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1692031669279035894?t=ImskklbCavsMV-JM-M8rgw&s=19

HELLO MISTER FBI, OF COURSE I'M NOT GOING TO [REDACTED] THE JUDGE, I'D RATHER [REDACTED] A SITTING CONGRESSWOMAN

Usually you're supposed to follow the formula of "I'm not a murderer, I'm a bank robber!" Guilty of lesser thing B, not guilty of greater thing A. This woman was following the formula ABABABAB

It's a minor quibble and not directed at you specifically, but I love how many people automatically say FBI when the screenshot text specifically says DHS.

Coasterphreak posted:

Friendly reminder to everyone between Texas and DC: it’s the time of year where hurricanes get lovely, so make sure you’ve got your go bag ready.

My understanding from binging meteorology YouTube is that we so far have been super lucky. The boiling Atlantic is primed to supercharge any storm that manages to form, but the El Nino jetstream fuckery that's caused the heat domes is also generating enough wind shear to disrupt Atlantic storm formation. But if a storm system manages to kick off during a window of low wind shear it could get catastrophic fast.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cabo Verde is lining up the pain train as we speak

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Maybe we'll finally get some rain :stonklol:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Discussion Quorum posted:

Watch what you say around the monkey's paw.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Discussion Quorum posted:

You had to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Trump's lawyers are allegedly asking him to cancel his bigly huge media event as he'll probably hang himself in the firm of gift-wrapping evidence to the prosecutors.

Coasterphreak posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1692140769241690330?t=JCDSeAtnPeAxsMa3DKNVOg&s=19