Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

My dad had advanced Parkinson's before he passed, and this was an inadvertent bummer to be reminded of, lmao

I'm sorry for your loss my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

My grandmother had dementia and had to have thickened drinks, and she didn't understand why she couldn't have martinis anymore. We talked about making her a thick martini but decided that was just plain wrong. I can't believe no one on Youtube seems to have done that, but here's Emmy triying thick drinks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJ41PG2OQw

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thick cocktails has potential

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Who doesn't enjoy a nice thick cocktail in their mouth

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CzarChasm posted:

I dunno, I think the specific inclusion of edible oil in a food recipe is suspect.

I know, my "I love [edible] oil" T-shirt is raising a lot of questions...

My favorite food is Edible.

Reminds me of those old advertisements bragging that they are "digestible". I didn't even know that was a concern I should have about food.

This one is digestible and promises not to heat the blood which is another thing I didn't know I should be worried about.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ngl, I'd eat some grape nuts rn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PurpleXVI posted:

"Right amount."

Is that the cooking equivalent of "it came to me in a dream" as a footnote?

Nah that's standard in Chinese recipes. Nothing is measured, it's just "use the right amount of X" and I shake the recipe shouting that if I knew the right amount I wouldn't need to be reading this.

Pookah posted:

I feel like a tablespoon of msg (even a small one)

I really need to know what "even a small one" here means.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah that's standard in Chinese recipes. Nothing is measured, it's just "use the right amount of X" and I shake the recipe shouting that if I knew the right amount I wouldn't need to be reading this.

The recipe merely tells you what's in it. How much, is your taste.

Yes, this applies to baking as well. Taste carefully.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

ngl, I'd eat some grape nuts rn.

I need to know whether this involves eating grape nuts as a cold cereal or as part of a baked good in order to decide whether to report this post

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

The recipe merely tells you what's in it. How much, is your taste.

Yes, this applies to baking as well. Taste carefully.

it bespeaks a point of view where education is not done by writing, and the main tool of writing is as aide-memoire as opposed to a tool for thinking or a tool for communication

so if you see it in a book you need to kick the editors rear end in addition to the drat fool writer's

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I need to know whether this involves eating grape nuts as a cold cereal or as part of a baked good in order to decide whether to report this post

Cold with granulated sugar on top, you don’t ever stir this, you first pat it down a down a little and gently pour the milk over so the sugar doesn’t sink to the bottom. Why yes I only ever had this when my grandma watched me and yes this was the only cereal in the house. Still love it and go full OCD eating it every 5 years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Cold with granulated sugar on top, you don’t ever stir this, you first pat it down a down a little and gently pour the milk over so the sugar doesn’t sink to the bottom. Why yes I only ever had this when my grandma watched me and yes this was the only cereal in the house. Still love it and go full OCD eating it every 5 years.

:mods:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

as a cold cereal

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

as a cold cereal

:mods:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

What? it’s nostalgic comfort food. poo poo my “FamilyDish” is Tamale Pie (Its a casserole) it’s like ground beef, taco seasoning, green peppers, whole olives and corn baked into corn bread…………………gently caress I want some Tamale Pie.

Midwest cooking meets Los Angeles even tho we’ve been in Southern CA since 1915

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Grape Nuts baked into muffins or whatever are perfectly fine, presenting them as a cold cereal is just a cruel joke on anyone involved.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Grape Nuts baked into muffins or whatever are perfectly fine, presenting them as a cold cereal is just a cruel joke on anyone involved.

In sexual elk's defense it sounds like there was some sort of arcane eldritch ritual that had to be performed perfectly each time in order to make them edible. Any cold cereal where you have to be more careful than "dump cereal in bowl" followed by "dump milk in bowl" is more preparation than I'm willing to give cold cereal. (Fruit or sugar is allowed but should be equally dumpable which is why I prefer berries over bananas in my breakfast)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nah they’re good, sorry your grandma wouldn’t bust out the good stuff for ya.

But for real my grandma was poor as hell and set in her ways

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Aug 16, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

life is a joke

I grew up eatin' them shits and I guess I get a dopamine hit thinking about it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

:wtc:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hmm, I wonder why grape nuts passed you by.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

exactly, I'm a brainy dude cause that cereal, hell yeah, gently caress the haters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm doing perfectly fine without having a barleybrain, thank you very much

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For a certain value of "fine"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Grand Fromage posted:

I really need to know what "even a small one" here means.

https://randomwaffle.gbs.fm/images/88/88047a3cf0d2df22d11c3b4292ee67cacba6cb81.jpg
It's right there in the recipe "monosodium glutamate: 1 small tbs"

And yeah, that "the right amount" stuff is exactly how I write down recipes that are just for me to use - it's just a reminder not to forget a bit of whatever, but I don't need an exact number.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I wanna know what rear end in a top hat is cooking loving Grape Nuts into muffins, like a raw crust spilling everywhere?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Scarodactyl posted:

Hmm, I wonder why grape nuts passed you by.

This was the time where like half the breakfast foods were designed to keep everyone from charging their JO crystals though so maybe you failed to reach full power .

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Pookah posted:

And yeah, that "the right amount" stuff is exactly how I write down recipes that are just for me to use - it's just a reminder not to forget a bit of whatever, but I don't need an exact number.

I found a set of measuring spoons in Daiso that had 大さじ (tablespoon), 小さじ (teaspoon), and 少々 (a pinch). I still regret not buying them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The post about poor grandma who could not have any more martinis had led me down the dark hole of mocktails:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How many attempts before they got that one prefect loaf? I feel that bread and gelatin are rather hard to combine.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That looks like an extremely cursed bunny chow

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"Stuffed Bread"

It seems you can put anything inside it, but I couldn't find a recipe with it set in gelatine.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

someone thought their shake tasted off

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I could believe that Americans are now into ranch shakes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Buttermilk shake I can get behind. Ranch? Hm. Need to ponder that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

By popular demand posted:

The post about poor grandma who could not have any more martinis had led me down the dark hole of mocktails:

Not only is it bad but it takes 40 minutes to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

By popular demand posted:

I could believe that Americans are now into ranch shakes.

ranch shakes is what happens when you stop your ranch intake cold turkey