Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

IBroughttheFunk posted:

This kind of nonsense almost gets me mad.

This kind of nonsense legit gets me mad. Cause like his Hyperloop brainfart, it ends up causing funding to be diverted from public transit.

This is a solved problem. It's called a train and/or tram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What other broken companies in problematic industries could Elon "improve"?

Maybe buy Warner Brothers so he can make a Ken film with him as the ideal-man lead and Grimes Barbie as his teenage love interest.

A railway so he can sell himself electric trains that are revealed to be powered by Teslas duct taped together.

A hotel chain in Hawaii that he will make fireproof by concreting everything within 200 yards.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Never forget that that's entirely on purpose; Hyperloop and the Boring Company aren't meant to solve traffic issues, their purpose is to sandbag public transit projects that would actually do so.

priznat posted:

Crosspostin from the Trump thread:

Lmao elon is a simp for trump who thinks he is a tool

lmao remember when he immediately complied with Modi and Erdogan's calls to ban political dissidents, even though OG twitter had faced no consequences for telling them to piss off, and got real salty when people booed him because he of course had no choice in the matter

If only there was a pattern as to when he chooses to uphold "free speech" as a principle, but, no, the guy is just so mercurial and inscrutable.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Zakutambah posted:

This kind of nonsense legit gets me mad. Cause like his Hyperloop brainfart, it ends up causing funding to be diverted from public transit.

This is a solved problem. It's called a train and/or tram.

Not only that, it's not like we don't already know how to do underground public transit either. Subways work just fine, especially when they get properly maintained as I've actually experienced in other parts of the world.

But nope. Can't have that. Instead we get many leaders in too many metro areas who just fallen head over heels for this absolute bullshit.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 16, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Never forget that that's entirely on purpose; Hyperloop and the Boring Company aren't meant to solve traffic issues, their purpose is to sandbag public transit projects that would actually do so.

only way this is true is if it's someone manipulating Elon into this position. Elon is too dumb for a master plan and genuinely thinks his tunnel idea is cool

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Musk seems to be trying to simultaneously claim he was just joking around, and yet was taking it serious? Which is it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/14/mark-zuckerberg-calls-off-elon-musk-cage-match.html

"Less than two months after eagerly taking up the Tesla executive's challenge, Zuckerberg has called off the bout. The martial arts-loving Facebook co-founder on Sunday accused Musk of not being serious about the challenge and said "it's time to move on."

"I offered a real date. [UFC president] Dana White offered to make this a legit competition for charity," Zuckerberg posted on Threads, the Twitter rival whose creation started the beef in the first place.

"Elon won't confirm a date, then says he needs surgery, and now asks to do a practice round in my backyard instead," he continued. "If Elon ever gets serious about a real date and official event, he knows how to reach me.""

It doesn't sound like Zuck's 'scared', but it does sound like he wants to have complete control of the fight venue and doesn't want Musk getting any credit for charity work. Musk could've twisted the knife that way but instead went with dumb Biff Tannen "are you chicken, McFly?" bullying bullshit and threatening to stalk his house and jump him when he comes home from school.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

kazil posted:

only way this is true is if it's someone manipulating Elon into this position. Elon is too dumb for a master plan and genuinely thinks his tunnel idea is cool

Musk "admitted" so himself. Which might be meaningful if most of anything he says wasn't lies.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kazil posted:

yeah sure, but I think that's more of an academic question, because Elon definitely considers "inaccessible to poors" to be a selling point as much as the boondoggle, and just doesn't care that the former is what secures his funding

he's not being manipulated into doing something he wouldn't do, he's just not smart enough to have come up with the actual end result on his own

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao remember when he immediately complied with Modi and Erdogan's calls to ban political dissidents, even though OG twitter had faced no consequences for telling them to piss off, and got real salty when people booed him because he of course had no choice in the matter

If only there was a pattern as to when he chooses to uphold "free speech" as a principle, but, no, the guy is just so mercurial and inscrutable.
He also backed down with Chinese censorship

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

JustCallMeDC posted:

I have some if you want

I'd like one if you have any left just to see what the hell is going on over there.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

morningdrew posted:

Pleeeease let a community note pop up on this saying zuck never declined

Not quite but I appreciate the effort.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Elon getting wrecked by the community notes will never not be hilarious

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Ugh I'm torn because I'm a big fan of Isaacson but I fuckin hate Elon lol

Is anybody here gonna read this autobiography?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

smoobles posted:

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Mistle posted:

With 43 billion dollars, you can execute the most elaborate and wacky of Victorian-age pranks, complete with period dress, and steamworks-grade materials. Dirigibles, penny-farthings, sepia-toned glass print photos, just living the life of an eccentric, in almost anywhere in the world.

You could do funny things and make people laugh at the funny thing you did. You could do serious things, and have people take you seriously.

You could fake your death hundreds of times, turn it into a quarterly event. People would line up around the block to be the next "dr_rat's daring defiance of death," just giving away their post-mortem existence for the chance at being the cadaver used for "shot out of a circus cannon and into a pool of wet cement 40 stories below" or "underwater mine defuser gone wrong" or "faceplanted onto the moon in a cowboy outfit."

There's no end to spending billions just goofing off and loving around without becoming a laughingstock or completely disconnected from reality. And yet people with that kind of money somehow always end up a laughingstock and disconnected from reality. :shrug:

I highly recommend everyone read or watch The Magic Christian as what you're describing is basically the plot

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

grobbo posted:

There's something grossly and genuinely wrong about watching a grown man with far too much wealth and power to ever get a genuine comeuppance, delivering a bragging replay of his own childish behaviour to his online friends with the sweaty, obvious dishonesty of a nasty little boy of 11 or 12 relaying to the other boys how he totally owned some rival in the playground.

Cringe is too small a word.

Ed Zitron had a great write up as usual on this yesterday - an excerpt:

quote:

To be clear, both of these men are wretched cowards. Zuckerberg has chosen the higher ground here — to not mercilessly beat a jelly-like cretin into a pulp simply because he was challenged to do so — but has walked away from the only opportunity anyone will ever have to inflict physical pain on Elon Musk.

While there is a chance that Zuckerberg’s respect for martial arts and serious training is such that he wouldn’t take on an unprepared opponent, Elon Musk has spent his entire life bullying and threatening people, and has never once been shown the consequences of his actions. Zuckerberg had the chance to make this a less serious bout — a charity boxing match, a cage match where he acknowledged the difference between them and still obliterated him, and so on — but chose to take “the high road” against a pig that always seems capable of finding mud to roll in.

Kat Abu’s post of a classic It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia scene nailed what should’ve happened. Zuckerberg should have gladly accepted the bout and then publicly punished Musk. It doesn’t matter if Musk is sufficiently trained, or “prepared,” or “ready,” or whether it’s “fair,” because this is Elon Musk — a career charlatan that continually gets himself in too deep and then uses the power of money and status to escape consequences, with Twitter being one of the few cases where he failed to do so.

This fight was the other. While Musk — regardless of the result — would clearly state that there was some sort of unfairness to the proceedings, Zuckerberg had the ability to physically humiliate and dominate a man that has eluded justice his entire life. Zuckerberg has candidly used this opportunity to rehab his image from “guy who worked with US government to spy on citizens” and “guy who used social network to antagonize millions of people” to “thoughtful and caring martial artist,” all while escaping the responsibility of taking the world’s richest and most annoying man to the woodshed. If Zuckerberg believed that it was unfair or a bad thing to do to use his training to make Elon Musk squeal like a freshly-born calf, he should know that it’s equally unfair and bad to escape the opportunity to show that actions have consequences.

Musk has spent the best part of a year destroying one of the world’s most crucial information sources, empowering fascists, and creating a hostile world for people of color on what used to be the world’s town square. He has spouted anti-trans rhetoric, perpetuated racism, and sued a hate-speech research group because it annoyed him that they were using a brand researcher’s account, while also promising to pay the lawsuits of anyone who got fired because of their tweets — another limp promise he’ll likely welch on. Hesued the law firm that closed the Twitter deal, and had to be sued to return over $735 million that he and the Tesla board were overpaid. He doesn’t pay his rent, or his staff, and uses his money and power to stymie regular people’s attempts to see justice — and it always seems to work. He is effectively untouchable — despite being extremely easy to upset based on almost every tweet he’s ever made — and will never be made to face any consequences for his regularly putrid and upsetting actions.

https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-cowards-octagon

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy gently caress, all these stupid weekend warrior billionares think they are Napoleon or Augustus

This is some Bond villain poo poo. You are not some Conqueror or General: you are some dipshit clown with way too much resource in an economic system that treats you as a holy figure because of it.

Shut the gently caress up

5er
Jun 1, 2000

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress, all these stupid weekend warrior billionares think they are Napoleon or Augustus

This is some Bond villain poo poo. You are not some Conqueror or General: you are some dipshit clown with way too much resource in an economic system that treats you as a holy figure because of it.

Good username for criticizing wannabe Caesars.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

smoobles posted:

Good that there's screenshots, given his tendency to delete community notes when they're dunking on him.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

sticksy posted:

Zuck would just bash ol musko no questions asked if he had the opportunity. I don't understand how he's a coward in the current situation.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The thing which gets me about the hyperloop thing is that there seem to be people who genuinely think this would work in any way whatsoever. How the hell would having a few Teslatunnels significantly reduce traffic. The only way that works is if they are literally private. I.e. a singular person has access to it. For some reason, Musk's fans all seem to believe that they would be this one person, or that absolutely everyone else will use that system so the roads are clear for them.

At least the politicians who sign up on this I get. They're just corrupt and hate public transport.

Honestly, whenever I hear about these hyperloops I need to do a double take, because it's so obviously stupid and impractical that I can't even understand how anyone would want that. So can someone sum up what exactly they do so I can have a sanoty check?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Good that there's screenshots, given his tendency to delete community notes when they're dunking on him.

The note posted is either not visible to all or has already been deleted

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Regardless of Napoleon, the concept of "lead by example" should be the takeaway, not "working hard cause I see boss" you braindead loser, Elon!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, whenever I hear about these hyperloops I need to do a double take, because it's so obviously stupid and impractical that I can't even understand how anyone would want that. So can someone sum up what exactly they do so I can have a sanoty check?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ACXaFyB_-8s&feature=share8

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dNzjk-kiUmQ&feature=share8

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

5er posted:

Good username for criticizing wannabe Caesars.

:lol:

I sometimes regret not changing it to something goofier

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao yeah, elon would probably be more of a Robespierre. The guy got a papier mache mountain made and walked down it in a toga.

Also, spoilers but he hosed all his friends over and blew his jaw off in a suicide attempt and then was dragged out and guillotined.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

sticksy posted:

Musk is truly the tech Trump.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

sticksy posted:

ehhhh

dumb take imo. Like the author recognizes Elon getting his poo poo kicked in wouldn't actually do anything.

And framing it as Zuck taking the high road is just... que?

quote:

Zuckerberg has candidly used this opportunity to rehab his image from “guy who worked with US government to spy on citizens” and “guy who used social network to antagonize millions of people” to “thoughtful and caring martial artist,” all while escaping the responsibility of taking the world’s richest and most annoying man to the woodshed. If Zuckerberg believed that it was unfair or a bad thing to do to use his training to make Elon Musk squeal like a freshly-born calf, he should know that it’s equally unfair and bad to escape the opportunity to show that actions have consequences.

Zuck stopped giving a poo poo because Elon is a clown and he's not going to continue to inconvenience himself to fuel Elon's delusions. He set conditions he'd do the fight in and seemed to have things organized, and then Elon wormed his way out of it with excuses in place of an actual yes/no.

He absolutely does not care about bodying Elon and if anything would probably enjoy it as much as any of us. He just isn't going to keep pressing the matter for months on end until Elon finally snares himself in something he can't actually get out of and has to show up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TulliusCicero posted:

Musk is literally Joe Don Baker's character from The Living Daylights.

Probably about the same weight, too.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"i suggested his home as a 'safe space'" is a funny way of saying you threatened to turn up at his house in the middle of the night
"i'm an old, rich man, i don't fight" is a loving answer you loving pussy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Okay, you convinced me. I was wrong and the Hyperloop is a good idea. What an egg on my face.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only thing Elon learned from Napoleon is how to cultivate the world's thinnest skin

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"leading by walking around" is a no poo poo good and real strategy

But there is ZERO chance Musk is a leader. At most he's a boss. Probably just an rear end in a top hat owner who causes inefficiency and morale hemorrhages everywhere he goes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Napoleon vs Caesar- Whoever Wins, We Lose

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
This thread provided me with a Bluesky invite code, and now I have one to give back. Post in the thread if you want it, and I'll DM it to you.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

It blew my loving mind when looked into the Hyperloop and its just a loving one lane tunnel.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

This thread provided me with a Bluesky invite code, and now I have one to give back. Post in the thread if you want it, and I'll DM it to you.

I wouldn't mind one, cheers.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Rascar Capac posted:

Would love this invite code if you still have it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=37130060

They since turned it off but lol