Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

buglord posted:

7900XT havers, how does the card handle undervolting/power limiting? Also do all of them have coil whine or is it from only a certain AIB?
Coil whine is proportional to boost clock on my powercolor hellhound 7900 XT.

2400 that my manufacturer says is "silent mode" and there is some coil whine in a quiet room with fixed rpm case fans at max boost. It's real quiet but it's that electrical sound. It also kind of depends what's going on, because boost isn't always maxing out if there's lots of or little load so a lot of times there will be no coil whine with this. If you use headphones or have something playing you won't really hear it at this boost clock. If you drop your ear to the case you will for sure. But, if you aren't hitting the boost clock there's none so for a while I thought this clock had no coil whine.

2700 that AMD drivers default to and it makes the loudest noise I've heard a consumer pc emit since a 40mm fan fell off the side panel of my case and destroyed a molex 20 years ago. In this sense, I think I might have a "bad card" compared to most people's.

2100, which matches power virus/demanding game clocks, and there's none. I'm not going to say actually none as I haven't put my head down next to the gpu with an open case, but I can't hear it and even coil whine quieter than case fans annoys me endlessly.

When it hits 1000+ fps on a menu screen there's a bit of coil whine too, but all my nvidia cards have whined similarly in that situation. At 480 fps in a game with a 2300 boost clock I don't hear coil whine.

I haven't spent time tuning in between because 2400 is fine for me and a few percent perf loss, 0% if you count increased memory clock over stock. I did run 2100 for a bit and performance is still pretty close, although I didn't benchmark. It was an over reaction to first hearing 2700 and going "oh no this is terrible all my fears of buying an AMD gpu have come true."

Messing with voltage limit in the amd software didn't do much. Stock is 1100 but I've never seen it go above 1000 in hwinfo even with torture tests. Changing max boost clock does change power draw in most situations pretty well & determines coil whine. But, it draws about 155W-205W tbp depending on settings/game/etc. Even radeon chill to an fps cap draws in the lower end of that range despite clocks going pretty low.

It's a quiet card assuming you don't invoke coil whine. Stays about 60c/70c hot spot/85c or less junction while gaming with fans at 600-700 rpm. It's definitely not a "fanless living room htpc" graphics card, but I don't hear additional noise over case fans with it while gaming which is my cutoff for caring.

ymmv, my experience is a single 7900 XT coming from 13 years of nvidia 70 series GPUs. I'm still in the microcenter return window but outside of fps loss from excessive draw calls in one situation in one dx11 game out of many I've tried it has been pretty good for me. I don't really play AAA single player DLSS/FSR/unoptimized RT games though. Also, idle power draw is 80W with a high refresh rate main monitor. About twice nvidia's current gen. My 2070 super was 55w idle with the same monitor setup as a reference point. 7900XT idle @ 60hz with 2-3 monitors is 9W-10W after a driver update a few months ago and matches nvidia now.

I'd highly recommend messing with your boost clock if you have a 7900 XT/XTX and want to eliminate coil whine without losing relevant amounts of performance. It's right there in AMD's software and you can do it in game specific ways, too. Radeon chill is another good approach if you're over your monitor's refresh rate.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

grack posted:

13. LTT still has Billet's 3090 TI that they also haven't sent back either.

Linus has apparently mentioned in the LTT forums that they found that card and it’s going to be in a video soon. So he’s actively going to make content out of still having that specific card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

njsykora posted:

Linus has apparently mentioned in the LTT forums that they found that card and it’s going to be in a video soon. So he’s actively going to make content out of still having that specific card.

incredible

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

In today's episode of "dig UP, stupid" - GN gets a reply from LTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3byz3txpso

lol steve sounds so tired in this. does anyone have the tech tuber thread handy I wanna see what ruckus is going on there

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yudo posted:

I have one (it's for sale too). I went through three before settling on it. Undervolting, it depends on the title. In Cyberpunk, I could be very aggressive in the undervolt and it wouldn't crash. Take it those same settings to RDR2 and it will crash within moments.

This is how it usually goes. Some games will stress out your GPU in ways that other games don't, and you end up with some that work well undervolted and others that really hate the undervolt you spent the last four hours fine tuning. Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is perhaps the most infamous undervolt hater. Load that game up any time you want to stress test your UV for maximum stability. (or just accept the having different UV profiles for different games)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 16, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ijyt posted:

lol steve sounds so tired in this. does anyone have the tech tuber thread handy I wanna see what ruckus is going on there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604

there's like one idiot defending linus or some poo poo but in general everyone's standing with tech jesus of course

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that gets me about all this is how often Linus seems to get way out there and say "we thrashed this Billet cooler because we don't think anyone should buy it, ever." Like, it goes way above and beyond just normal reviewer saying a product sucks, they seem borderline offended that it exists.

Which, frankly, would be pretty rough if someone sent them a part explicitly for review but holy gently caress it's just insane if it was a thing a new company sent them to play with and get feedback on. It just seems really malicious.

Yeah, it’s this that bothers me the most. They didn’t just review it, they thrashed it, like you said, then double-downed on the thrashing, when the company didn’t even ask them to review it, simply to mess around with it, like any tech enthusiast might usually do for something that’s a prototype/experimental/etc.

And the fact that they effectively sent everything he needed to test (the block, the 3090 Ti, etc) and they still hosed it all so much, on their end, then proceeded to thrash the prototype anyway while scapegoating their own failings…

Yeah, this isn’t “entertainment”, this is just outright maliciousness like you said.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've found that Dying Light and Rage 2 are also sensitive to messing with clocks/voltages. In the case of the latter, the game doesn't crash but the landscape geometry gets screwed up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this isn’t “entertainment”, this is just outright maliciousness like you said.

It’s absolutely this.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just came across a youtube video about PC game emuation on android using winlator which looks to be using wine.
looks like a WIP but promising - Fallout 3 runs 30ish on the new Samsung android tablets

anyone tried stuff like this? i guess x86 handhelds like the Deck and ROG Ally would always run better

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have a 7900XTX, and while it's not the same card exactly, I do get coil whine at high frame rates. Baldur's Gate 3 was getting a fair amount of whine out of the card, and FFXIV does when loading between zones and the GPU utilization can actually hit 100% where I push like 700+ fps. Sapphire Pulse, if that matters.

I have a reference 7900xtx and haven't experienced any coil whine with it. But it is also using an EK waterblock instead of the stock cooler and fan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

shrike82 posted:

just came across a youtube video about PC game emuation on android using winlator which looks to be using wine.
looks like a WIP but promising - Fallout 3 runs 30ish on the new Samsung android tablets

anyone tried stuff like this? i guess x86 handhelds like the Deck and ROG Ally would always run better

knew it was probably an ETAPRIME video, before checking

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

astral posted:

Have you considered setting a framerate limit for the latter so that doesn't happen?

Yeah, but my load times are also very fast, and it doesn't really bother me. So unless it begins to bother me or otherwise starts causing an actual problem I don't care enough to do so. FWIW my 3070 Ti, 2060 Super, 1080 Ti, and 970 all did it as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SourKraut posted:

It's both. The maliciousness is entertaining, and that gets clicks.

I say this as someone who's been rubbernecking Steve calling out LTT for the last few days, and who was idly listening to YouTube game reviews while playing Diablo 4 earlier and specifically flipping around to the ones I knew were going to be train wrecks (Gollum lol) because it's fun to hear people rip into poo poo.

Basically I strongly suspect they knew what they were doing and figured it would be good content.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah can't imagine hardware youtubers are unhappy about doing reaction videos to this for a cycle of engagement

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Feel bad that with phone posting can’t quote everyone but huge thanks to those who answered my 7900XT question :tipshat:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

shrike82 posted:

Its interesting and maybe gives the big beefy Android gaming handhelds more utility. I know people installed Windows 11 on the Ayn Odin and it was more capable than you'd probably expect for an older Snapdragon chip. It does still feel kinda like forcing an edge case though when a refurbished Steam Deck is now $320. Speaking of Android though, 3DMark added a ray tracing benchmark specifically to run on Android and running it on my PC was great to see a benchmark with gloriously sharp reflections running at 300+ fps. Really curious to see how those new Snapdragons with hardware ray tracing support run it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mobile raytracing continues to be a meme, that 3dmark test exclusively demonstrates perfect mirror reflections because that's a narrow case that doesn't require any denoising

there aren't that many places in games where you'd actually want a perfect mirror, and when you do (e.g. rear view mirrors) they can be faked with raster trickery already

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 16, 2023

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, it’s this that bothers me the most. They didn’t just review it, they thrashed it, like you said, then double-downed on the thrashing, when the company didn’t even ask them to review it, simply to mess around with it, like any tech enthusiast might usually do for something that’s a prototype/experimental/etc.

And the fact that they effectively sent everything he needed to test (the block, the 3090 Ti, etc) and they still hosed it all so much, on their end, then proceeded to thrash the prototype anyway while scapegoating their own failings…

I think this is the one thing that Linus got right in the whole debacle, it is a bad product. It could be the best performing waterblock ever made, and it still would make no sense. The performance of it, which is what was affected by them testing it on the wrong card, is tangential to the product being a solution to a problem no-one has. It's a weird two in one, extremely specific, waterblock with no actual case support for people who want to sandwich their CPU and GPU together for some reason. At $800 you can buy the best GPU waterblock possible and a fuckin' TEC for your CPU, and they wouldn't be separate parts but I see no reason to want them to be the one block. Linus ripping into it on the WAN show wasn't even about the performance, just the extremely unnecessary product idea.

I also think Steve's speculation that a competitor might've bought it to steal their idea is honestly hilarious, what is the exclusive IP in "two coldplates opposite each other with a flow channel between them"?

Linus still shouldn't have sold it, and their communication is terrible, but I don't think a review with better performance numbers would've had a different conclusion.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

I think this is the one thing that Linus got right in the whole debacle, it is a bad product. It could be the best performing waterblock ever made, and it still would make no sense. The performance of it, which is what was affected by them testing it on the wrong card, is tangential to the product being a solution to a problem no-one has. It's a weird two in one, extremely specific, waterblock with no actual case support for people who want to sandwich their CPU and GPU together for some reason. At $800 you can buy the best GPU waterblock possible and a fuckin' TEC for your CPU, and they wouldn't be separate parts but I see no reason to want them to be the one block. Linus ripping into it on the WAN show wasn't even about the performance, just the extremely unnecessary product idea.

I also think Steve's speculation that a competitor might've bought it to steal their idea is honestly hilarious, what is the exclusive IP in "two coldplates opposite each other with a flow channel between them"?

Linus still shouldn't have sold it, and their communication is terrible, but I don't think a review with better performance numbers would've had a different conclusion.

I don't think it's a product that actually has a market, at least not at $800 or whatever and realistically I'm not sure it really has/had a market anyway; however, I think the point still stands that they never asked him to do a review of their prototype, and so the vast majority of the criticism he lobbed on it on the WAN show, is effectively an informal review of the product based upon their (faulty, though of potential minor consequence admittedly) testing of it.

So I honestly think it's a big stretch to say he got it right, with regard to it being a bad product. Because at the moment, it isn't a product. It's a prototype, and that's it. It may have hit the market, it may not have. But until it did, almost all of his commentary is just malicious, and I wouldn't be stretching the definition of anything to find a reason to give him a pass on anything with regard to this debacle.

Granted, it may have been inferred, but we don't even know if Billet gave him permission to publish any video related to it. It doesn't sound like they gave him permission to review it though, so regardless of what you, or I, or Linus himself thinks, performing a poorly-conducted review on the product and then providing the commentary he did, was not the correct approach.

Now if he had done a video that reported on it, including some early testing results and simply provided constructive feedback on the prototype, whether good or bad, who cares. It's not a review of a non-final product. But he didn't approach it that way, and he's getting rightfully reamed for it.

I think part of all of this, to me at least, is that it just reinforces that Linus basically is targeting the lowest common denominator when it comes to his audience, the people who want to see him just poo poo and roll on stuff, which is especially ironic given how he has responded to his lovely backpack and screwdriver. To me, it's effectively delayed, if not killed, any real chance they have at becoming serious hardware reviewers. And that may not be what he actually wants to do, but he should probably then instruct his staff to not talk poo poo about others who do, as if LTT is going to jump in and become the best at it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Jesus. That young women they hired after she won a competition but quit unexpectedly has unloaded on Twitter the reasons why. TLDR ridiculous pressure, time limits and what sounds like gaslighting from leadership.

I can honestly see Linus (or whomever is CEO now) hiring a full PR fix team over the damage this week has done to the brand.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mega Comrade posted:

I can honestly see Linus (or whomever is CEO now) hiring a full PR fix team over the damage this week has done to the brand.

I doubt it, the decorative ceo isn't the owner so he doesn't have powers to muzzle Linus or hire people whose job is to say stuff against dear leader.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I don't think it's a product that actually has a market, at least not at $800 or whatever and realistically I'm not sure it really has/had a market anyway; however, I think the point still stands that they never asked him to do a review of their prototype, and so the vast majority of the criticism he lobbed on it on the WAN show, is effectively an informal review of the product based upon their (faulty, though of potential minor consequence admittedly) testing of it.

So I honestly think it's a big stretch to say he got it right, with regard to it being a bad product. Because at the moment, it isn't a product. It's a prototype, and that's it. It may have hit the market, it may not have. But until it did, almost all of his commentary is just malicious, and I wouldn't be stretching the definition of anything to find a reason to give him a pass on anything with regard to this debacle.

Granted, it may have been inferred, but we don't even know if Billet gave him permission to publish any video related to it. It doesn't sound like they gave him permission to review it though, so regardless of what you, or I, or Linus himself thinks, performing a poorly-conducted review on the product and then providing the commentary he did, was not the correct approach.

Now if he had done a video that reported on it, including some early testing results and simply provided constructive feedback on the prototype, whether good or bad, who cares. It's not a review of a non-final product. But he didn't approach it that way, and he's getting rightfully reamed for it.

I think part of all of this, to me at least, is that it just reinforces that Linus basically is targeting the lowest common denominator when it comes to his audience, the people who want to see him just poo poo and roll on stuff, which is especially ironic given how he has responded to his lovely backpack and screwdriver. To me, it's effectively delayed, if not killed, any real chance they have at becoming serious hardware reviewers. And that may not be what he actually wants to do, but he should probably then instruct his staff to not talk poo poo about others who do, as if LTT is going to jump in and become the best at it.

Woah hold on now, the screwdriver fucks actually.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
It's going to get worse for LMG before it gets better.

Madison was a winner of one of those ASUS ROG build contests years ago that fans loved so much she eventually got hired on by Linus. gently caress this toxic piece of poo poo company.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

:psyduck:

There are a myriad ways to state something like "does decent numbers but I can't see a market for this current iteration" that's not just :goonsay: IS A BAD PRODUCT AND IT SUCKS AND WILL ALWAYS SUCK END OF STORY.

basically

SourKraut posted:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BurritoJustice posted:

Wooooooooooosh

It's not about the product it's about the behavior

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

This is a wild take.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

The conclusion wasn't the problem. The means by which they arrived at the conclusion and their total disregard for any kind of integrity in the evaluation process was the problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 16, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

jisforjosh posted:

It's going to get worse for LMG before it gets better.

Madison was a winner of one of those ASUS ROG build contests years ago that fans loved so much she eventually got hired on by Linus. gently caress this toxic piece of poo poo company.

Holy fuuuuuck :stare:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
How much pain can the law bring down for mobbing and other work related harassment in Canada? LTT haters crowdfunding a real set of work lawyers to properly gently caress Linus up would be top 2023.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Canada's basically America so I assume their worker protection firms are pretty weak.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think the Madison story also mentioned sexual harassment, as a cherry on top. I don't wanna pay myself on the shoulder too much but

Lord Stimperor posted:

(...)

Must be a terrible company to work for / with.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Wooooooooooosh

It's not about the product it's about the behavior

I didn't say the behavior is fine. It's an embrassing, unprofessional mess that every response is making worse. It's just strange that everyone is now acting like it's a product with merit just because Linus hosed the company over. Not every prototype has to make sense, and it would've been better if Linus said "this is well machined, high quality product that is unfortunately without an application. We are hopeful that Billet Labs next product makes more sense, and look forward to it." (but written by a professional writer, not a forums poster).

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The conclusion wasn't the problem. The means by which they arrived at the conclusion and their total disregard for any kind of integrity in the evaluation process was the problem.

Linus didn't arrive at the conclusion of mocking the concept due to the performance.

I'm not trying to defend Linus in general, I did say it was literally the one thing that Linus had right.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I think the Madison story also mentioned sexual harassment, as a cherry on top. I don't wanna pay myself on the shoulder too much but

Thread for context. The Madison situation has been simmering in the background for years, and I am glad that the current shitshow gave her the confidence to finally go public with it. I encourage everyone to read all 62 tweets, it only gets worse the more you read. (ninja I just realised this was already upthread, but more tweets have been added since the first batch)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lord Stimperor posted:

The pressure, unrealistic expectations, and clueless management sounds a bit like regular small business stuff to me (anyone that has had the pleasure of working for one might recognize some of it)... but once you start getting into that harassment stuff seemingly coming from management itself, makes it real tough to click on a video of theirs for me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LMG seems to be actively monitoring the apology video and deleting comments with references to the Madison tweets.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Cygni posted:

The pressure, unrealistic expectations, and clueless management sounds a bit like regular small business stuff to me (anyone that has had the pleasure of working for one might recognize some of it)... but once you start getting into that harassment stuff seemingly coming from management itself, makes it real tough to click on a video of theirs for me.

I had already unsubbed but her experience has made me tell youtube to not recommend their channels to me lest I accidentally give them views

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

jisforjosh posted:

I had already unsubbed but her experience has made me tell youtube to not recommend their channels to me lest I accidentally give them views

Setting youtube to not recommend me channels that use the "youtube face" has pretty much broken the suggestion algorithm in my case, to the point that it's suggesting videos that i watched or new videos from my subscriptions, nothing else.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

I think the point of taking advantage of young people should not be lost. Many LTT hires have little basis to compare work environments. Their first job is their dream job. Try to pull that "small business stuff" on experienced labor and either pay through the nose or have very high turnover. That poo poo isn't okay, and there is no excuse for treating workers poorly.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I have been suspicious of the labour conditions at LTT ever since Linus made his dogshit takes on unionisation public, and the employee handbook leak which showed them disallowing salary discussion certainly didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

It's just strange that everyone is now acting like it's a product with merit just because Linus hosed the company over.

It was a prototype so we might never know if it had any merit because Linus sucks.

Was it probably going to be expensive? Sure why not. Luxury cars are also expensive but there’s a market there.