Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Crazy Achmed posted:

That wasn't hong kong phooey, was it?

He's a dog though. And a mild-mannered janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I AM GRANDO posted:

This could be it, or something related: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Jones

This was the only thing I found on it too and it is definitely nothing like I remember. I think the "asian" character* starts out on a little deserted island reading a book and is reached via telephone or somehow. Then I think he turns a motor on the island to come ashore. Holy moly it sounds like a fever dream but I swear I saw this several times. Is there another thread on the forums dedicated to animated shows?

*possibly porky

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Milo and POTUS posted:

This was the only thing I found on it too and it is definitely nothing like I remember. I think the "asian" character* starts out on a little deserted island reading a book and is reached via telephone or somehow. Then I think he turns a motor on the island to come ashore. Holy moly it sounds like a fever dream but I swear I saw this several times. Is there another thread on the forums dedicated to animated shows?

*possibly porky

You sure it wasn't a person? There was lots of those stereotypes during ww2 productions. Such as bugs bunny nips the nips which is set on an island.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

*possibly porky
Could it be Joe Jitsu from a Dick Tracy cartoon? Haven't watched it but it looks fairly on point from googling old racist cartoons lol

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dicktracy/images/2/20/Joe_Jitsu.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200822054901

Yeah apparently he would say "so solly" all the time, the whole thing. Not sure about the island thing, coulda just been one weird episode or something

Martman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was discussing with my friend all the insane racist poo poo that used to be on looney tunes back in the day and I remembered one of I think porky pig as some bespectacled asian guy who knew karate and was maybe a detective. He didn't know what I was talking about and I can't find hair nor hide about it on the Internet and I hope to god I did not make this up I do not have the money for therapy. Hell maybe he wasn't asian. I do think it was a porky based character though. If I didn't imagine it, it would have been on the looney tune blocks they showed on nick back in the day

It's from Warner Bros.’ animated short film “Porky’s Movie Mystery” [1939] in which Porky Pig plays (Japanese) Mr. Motto, who reads up on ju-jitsu to fight. Mr Motto was a parody of Peter Lorre's movie character Mr Moto.

Here's a 10 minute youtube documentary about Porky’s Movie Mystery:
https://youtu.be/tG6ulKghx3o

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp I shouldn't be surprised that that kinda thing was pretty common

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Awesome, thanks. Still less bad than the black ones!

...anyone else impressed I nailed that description?

Milo and POTUS posted:

*possibly porky

A nick mullen esque memory of racist cartoons

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

This could be it, or something related: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Jones

China Jones was a parody of fictional detective Charlie Chan. Charlie Chan was a Chinese-born character in a series of books written from the 1920s, :actually: conceived by the author as an antidote to racism, because Chinese people back then were stereotyped as evil and conniving.

From the 1930's a series of popular Charlie Chan movies kept up the good (for the time) work, counteracting the infuence on the public mind of evil Chinese movie characters such as Fu Manchu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chan

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BigBadSteve posted:

China Jones was a parody of fictional detective Charlie Chan. Charlie Chan was a Chinese-born character in a series of books written from the 1920s, :actually: conceived by the author as an antidote to racism, because Chinese people back then were stereotyped as evil and conniving.

From the 1930's a series of popular Charlie Chan movies kept up the good (for the time) work, counteracting the infuence on the public mind of evil Chinese movie characters such as Fu Manchu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chan

He also got his own Hanna Barbera series back when they were trying to cash in on Scooby Doo's popularity by pumping out endless "wacky teens with [an intelligent animal / in a band/ with a magical transforming car] solve crimes" cartoons. They went all-in on this show though and added in wacky teens plus an intelligent pet plus they're in a band plus they also had a magical car :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXK9ASh_v4E
It was also apparently the first time that Charlie Chan was portrayed on screen by a person who actually had Chinese ancestry, even if was just a VA in this case. Most of the "Chan Clan" kids were also originally voiced by Asian actors (they seemed to mostly be of Japanese descent though) but their accents were too thick so most of them got replaced and redubbed after the first few episodes aired. Oh well, they sorta kinda tried?? :shrug: That was pretty progressive for 1972.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Sanford posted:

I might have posted this here before, I’ve been trying to find it for a couple of years. My mother in law remembers a scene from some post-apocalypse book she read, where as the bombs are dropping a plane-full of Russian ballerinas bravely and stoically fly into the clouds, knowing there is no chance to land or survive. She thought it was in On The Beach but it’s not. I’ve read quite a lot of nuclear fiction but never found it. Any ideas what she’s remembering?

I don't remember them being ballerinas but what about this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_to_a_Sunless_Sea_(Graham_novel)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Really says something about that era of entertainment when someone asks "I'm looking for this specific racist cartoon" and there are like ten replies listing things it could possibly be and all of them are different.

Catpain Slack posted:

Flashpoint https://flashpointarchive.org/ has an archive of a poo poo ton of old flash games/animations. You might find this stuff using Flashpoint Infinity, though it might be hard to find if you don't know e.g. the artist's name.

I highly doubt I'd be able to find it there without more info (don't remember the artist's name), but it's probably worth taking a look in any case. Thanks!

On that note, here's something someone is likely to find for me: I'm looking for a Flash game. You play as three characters, one is a guy with a keyboard for a head or something. The last one you play as is a bee. It's just a "move from left to right and dodge obstacles" kind of platformer with surreal imagery and music. It was hosted on Newgrounds.

I remember it was called "Echonochrome" or something of that nature, but I must be misremembering the exact spelling because that doesn't turn up anything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
First: Not been looking for it for ages, but over the last year or so I kind of want to see where it ended up going considering how things have shifted over the years.

Donahue had a talk show in the early 2000s, something of his return to TV after being gone a while.

One of the first shows was a panel that I think consisted of Pat Buchanan, some other conservative guy on one side, some liberal guy and Dave Chappelle on the other.

Apparently Dave referenced this appearance on Chappelle's Show (which I think started a month or so after the Donahue episode, so Dave being on the show wasn't huge news, IIRC) Youtube doesn't seem to have clips from what I can find, but their search algorithm is garbage.

Second thing:

Gork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAgjal1XKdw
Virtua Fighter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaXk6KLTNjM

The opening on both seem to do some extremely similar things with vocal delivery, but from I can tell they're different VAs doing each one and the productions seem completely unrelated to one another. I've heard similar deliveries in the past, but with the way these two feel so similar not just in how they're saying things but what they're saying, I'm trying to figure out if there's a specific reference they're both going for.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was discussing with my friend all the insane racist poo poo that used to be on looney tunes back in the day and I remembered one of I think porky pig as some bespectacled asian guy who knew karate and was maybe a detective. He didn't know what I was talking about and I can't find hair nor hide about it on the Internet and I hope to god I did not make this up I do not have the money for therapy. Hell maybe he wasn't asian. I do think it was a porky based character though. If I didn't imagine it, it would have been on the looney tune blocks they showed on nick back in the day

i can't help other than i also have memories of watching an ancient cartoon as a kid that were probably false albeit maybe based on an amalgam of several actual ones. this poo poo happens somehow.

i have a fairly strong memory of watching a wwii propaganda popeye cartoon when i was a small child based on popeye and another sailor enlisting in the navy. the other sailor instead of just being a regular cartoon guy was clearly drawn as a caricature of a specific real person. the running gag throughout the cartoon was people asking him "hey did anyone ever tell you that you look like (x)" which resulted in the guy breaking down into tears. i asked my mom who was the guy they're talking about and her response was "oh he was a famous actor when your grandmother was young"

for most of my life i assumed this was a real thing until i started researching this and it seems like it's either completely or mostly a false memory. some people have suggested i may just be misremembering the popeye part as it was an old cartoon about sailors but i've never been able to find any trace of a cartoon where a guy based on a wwii era actor breaks into tears when asked about his resemblance to the person. would love to know how the gently caress i invented a cartoon dragging a 1940's celebrity i didn't even recognize to the point where i remember asking my mom about it.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 14, 2023

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
For what it's worth old cartoons used to parody film stars of the era. Peter Lorre was definitely parodied in Luney Tunes cartoons several times. I think The Flintstones was another culprit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Peter Loore was beyond parody. Also good and evil

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kosmo Gallion posted:

For what it's worth old cartoons used to parody film stars of the era. Peter Lorre was definitely parodied in Luney Tunes cartoons several times. I think The Flintstones was another culprit.

Yeah they used to parody tons of the big stars of the era. Here's the 1941 Tex Avery cartoon 'Hollywood Steps Out' on the Internet Archive, I recognise some of those people but I have no loving clue who most of them are

Thauros posted:

i can't help other than i also have memories of watching an ancient cartoon as a kid that were probably false albeit maybe based on an amalgam of several actual ones. this poo poo happens somehow.

i have a fairly strong memory of watching a wwii propaganda popeye cartoon when i was a small child based on popeye and another sailor enlisting in the navy. the other sailor instead of just being a regular cartoon guy was clearly drawn as a caricature of a specific real person. the running gag throughout the cartoon was people asking him "hey did anyone ever tell you that you look like (x)" which resulted in the guy breaking down into tears. i asked my mom who was the guy they're talking about and her response was "oh he was a famous actor when your grandmother was young"

for most of my life i assumed this was a real thing until i started researching this and it seems like it's either completely or mostly a false memory. some people have suggested i may just be misremembering the popeye part as it was an old cartoon about sailors but i've never been able to find any trace of a cartoon where a guy based on a wwii era actor breaks into tears when asked about his resemblance to the person. would love to know how the gently caress i invented a cartoon dragging a 1940's celebrity i didn't even recognize to the point where i remember asking my mom about it.

You might have more luck doing a google image search for 'celebrity caricatures in vintage animation' and seeing if you recognise any of them

It would've been real easy to mix them up because although Popeye did dozens of patriotic episodes about him joining the armed services there were lots and lots of similar episodes with other famous cartoon characters like Daffy Duck, Donald Duck, etc etc

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I actually do remember something similar, but it being Donald Duck, and I think I had a video with it on? Hmm, gonna go investigate.

/edit: ah crap, it wasn't on the anthology vhs I had, so could well be misremembering, ignore me.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 14, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

An edutainment game from the 90s, a side scrolling platformer in a medieval/fantasy theme. The main things I remember are the graphics (levels were very clearly made of blocks on a grid, the player character was 2/3 blocks high as were other characters including a very upright dragon) and the jaunty walking-bassline music (at least for the first few levels in the town/village)

Every so often there was a checkpoint with a flag and you had to answer a question to pass by, maths or English or something. I don't recall the content much, just the style of the game.

It was most likely included on a CD-ROM Today disc or some other similar compilation, I definitely didn't own the full game.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I've been trying to find this meme image that went around YOSPOS for awhile but can't find. It's like a joke flowchart about machine learning where it starts with "terrible data" goes into a box with question-marks and comes out "infallible results" or something similar.

Tried Google but google really sucks nowadays.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I'm looking for a Buddy Rich comic and having like no luck. He asks some guys at the bar who the best drummer in the world is and one of them answers "Gene Kruper" and Bud flies of the loving handle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

I'm looking for a Buddy Rich comic and having like no luck. He asks some guys at the bar who the best drummer in the world is and one of them answers "Gene Kruper" and Bud flies of the loving handle.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wow. I really didn't remember the art style like at all. Thank you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Literally A Person posted:

Wow. I really didn't remember the art style like at all. Thank you!

no problem, it was five minutes of "i wonder if" loving around on google searches.

if you're not aware, there's an ironic undertone to that comic: krupa and rich did two albums together.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Oysters Autobio posted:

I've been trying to find this meme image that went around YOSPOS for awhile but can't find. It's like a joke flowchart about machine learning where it starts with "terrible data" goes into a box with question-marks and comes out "infallible results" or something similar.

Tried Google but google really sucks nowadays.

being of yospos I got you

America
Apr 26, 2017

sebzilla posted:

An edutainment game from the 90s, a side scrolling platformer in a medieval/fantasy theme. The main things I remember are the graphics (levels were very clearly made of blocks on a grid, the player character was 2/3 blocks high as were other characters including a very upright dragon) and the jaunty walking-bassline music (at least for the first few levels in the town/village)

Every so often there was a checkpoint with a flag and you had to answer a question to pass by, maths or English or something. I don't recall the content much, just the style of the game.

It was most likely included on a CD-ROM Today disc or some other similar compilation, I definitely didn't own the full game.

"Treasure Mountain!" was one I remember from the early 90s that ticks some of those boxes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Mountain!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

America posted:

"Treasure Mountain!" was one I remember from the early 90s that ticks some of those boxes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Mountain!

Not it, but thanks. Definitely some similarities.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Arivia posted:

no problem, it was five minutes of "i wonder if" loving around on google searches.

if you're not aware, there's an ironic undertone to that comic: krupa and rich did two albums together.

anybody else ever watch the ed shaughnessy/buddy rich battle on youtube and go "ehhh i think shaughnessy's kinda better"?

i hate buddy rich's soloing, it just doesn't have much musicality to me. he just sounds like the chops master showing you how fast he can one hand roll

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Knowing nothing about Buddy Rich, I looked him up. He appears to have been a tremendous rear end, but this is a :discourse: line:

quote:

During medical therapy following a brain tumor operation, a nurse inquiring about drug allergies asked Rich whether there was anything he couldn't take. He replied, "Yes, country and western music."

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
he's a great character (if you're not in his band -- that beard convo in the comic is verbatim off a tape recorded meltdown at a bandmate) and i'm glad he existed but for a long time people just said he was the greatest drummer ever cause of his drat one handed roll chop wanks. that bugs me because the best drummer ever is pretty purdie who played solos/music you'd actually feel like tapping your toe or dancing to.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Ive been looking for a cartoon i watched back ~1990. I recall it was a japanese story, but the cartoon itself may or may not have come out of japan. The main character was called Sazuki, but I am pretty unsure of the spelling. Sazuki is a little boy who goes on an adventure, climbing a snow capped mountain, and probably some other stuff I cannot recall. The thing is, I watched this dubbed into romanian, and there were HELLA bootlegs coming into romania in the 80s, and many many more after 89. Im not even certain it was dubbed into romanian, because I am pretty sure I knew english by that point but not sure I could read subtitles. Anyway, I've tried searching as many spelling variations of "Sazuki" (Suzuki, Sasuki, Susuki, etc), but I have not been able to figure out what the gently caress anime i was watching 30 years ago.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
can't help you but i've got another 500 words in me making GBS threads on buddy rich if you're interested

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
drum on brother

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

can't help you but i've got another 500 words in me making GBS threads on buddy rich if you're interested

Please.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I've never seen that Buddy Rich comic and it made me heartily lol

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

!amicable posted:

Ive been looking for a cartoon i watched back ~1990. I recall it was a japanese story, but the cartoon itself may or may not have come out of japan. The main character was called Sazuki, but I am pretty unsure of the spelling. Sazuki is a little boy who goes on an adventure, climbing a snow capped mountain, and probably some other stuff I cannot recall. The thing is, I watched this dubbed into romanian, and there were HELLA bootlegs coming into romania in the 80s, and many many more after 89. Im not even certain it was dubbed into romanian, because I am pretty sure I knew english by that point but not sure I could read subtitles. Anyway, I've tried searching as many spelling variations of "Sazuki" (Suzuki, Sasuki, Susuki, etc), but I have not been able to figure out what the gently caress anime i was watching 30 years ago.

If you're talking about "little kids going on adventures with not much magical stuff" in anime from like the 70s onwards you might want to see if it's one of the world masterpiece theater series which was very big in its time and got exported all over

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

!amicable posted:

Could it maybe have been Sasuke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQuXiGEDY7k

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

!amicable posted:

Was there a dog? It sounds like Ginga Naboroshi Gin, kinda.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a list of anime which aired in Romania but none of them seem to fit. There's a few that feature young children in snowy mountain areas but they aired later that 1990
The list is probably incomplete :shrug:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
There was a cartoon ( I think it was on here) posted, and it was a skateboarder at a party who wanted to turn the conversation back to skateboarding. He may have had a mohawk. Anyone remember something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

OldAlias posted:

being of yospos I got you

thanks man!