Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

YerDa Zabam posted:

I bet Emily is feeling they dodged a Mario bros sized bullet

How come? She still works there. Just no longer camera facing since she's aware the PC culture is full of horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Arivia posted:

I saw that. We don't specifically know it's about Emily, we don't know how much if any transphobia Emily is facing in the workplace, and we certainly don't need a goon making lovely transphobic jokes to keep going along with the dogpile.

Um, that "attack helicopter" bit is textbook transphobic AF to include in an official video, regardless if Emily was 'cool' with it or not.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

buglord posted:

Bring Emily and Mac Address guy over to GN and I’d watch nothing else :allears:

As much as I'd love this that'd be a surprising tonal shift for GN. That'd also involve moving almost as far away as possible while remaining in north america.

I do hope Emily goes on making weird retro gaming content somehow though, her stuff was always great and I miss it. I've never watched mac address but I hope the same for that guy if he's as cool as everybody here makes him seem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mA posted:

Um, that "attack helicopter" bit is textbook transphobic AF to include in an official video, regardless if Emily was cool with it or not.

I'm aware. I'm a trans woman myself.

But we still can't be sure if it's actually meant as an attack or if, as someone suggested, it's a new hire who doesn't get to put their actual name on it yet (a known LMG practice) who's a fan of helicopters or some poo poo.

It's an implication. There's enough poo poo going rotten with LMG you don't need to add goon telephone to it.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Bring Emily and Mac Address guy over to GN and I’d watch nothing else :allears:

Leaving aside how horrible LTT is in light of everything, GN is just entirely boring and I find it really hard to get through any of their videos unless I am actively planning on buying a GPU they're talking about or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

I think it's in everyone's collective interest that Steve from GN is kept as far as possible from anything Apple. Imagine. The closed systems. The sacrificing of raw power in exchange for tasteful design. Laptops with literally no airflow. The poorly labelled charts in their product launches. The anti-market business practices. CPU's that still somehow run more efficiently than anything else on the market despite all the above. It'd be too much for him.

As someone who likes both sides of the OS divide it does make me sad how hostile Steve is towards Apple. He’s mentioned a couple times now that Apple has indoctrinated their fans into thinking the OS is more private. But from what I remember, Apple is still refusing to bend to cops/law enforcement about phone security, at least here in the states. And I think it’s fair to say people can exist having multiple platforms at once. I run baby linux on my gaming machine at home because I’m tired of windows, but I have an iPhone because I want simplicity above all else in my “utility device” and because I trust Apple more than Google, at this point in time.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

mA posted:

Um, that "attack helicopter" bit is textbook transphobic AF to include in an official video, regardless if Emily was 'cool' with it or not.
Does this move along to asking Emily to answer for it, because I'm not cool with that. Linus is the executive producer - he's the one who should answer for it, if anyone.

e: Also what Arivia said.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Konar posted:

Leaving aside how horrible LTT is in light of everything, GN is just entirely boring and I find it really hard to get through any of their videos unless I am actively planning on buying a GPU they're talking about or something.

Yeah as much as I enjoy GN, I mostly scrub through their review videos. Nothing but respect but yeah it’s a lot of chart gore. The comment about Emily/Mac Address guy is a throwaway joke, I mostly mean I hope they can still exist and thrive “outside” of LTT, or literally outside of it, if it gets worse.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Yeah he has his own channel but last I remember Linus is in the credits as one of the producers? Citation needed. I don’t know anything about him personally other than his “guy who likes apple stuff” public persona, but I hope his little fiefdom is isolated from all this, and hopefully not gravely intertwined in workplace drama/literal harassment

Madison mentioned LMG taking some sort of managerial control over her non LMG content and taking a cut, so wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to him.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

buglord posted:

As someone who likes both sides of the OS divide it does make me sad how hostile Steve is towards Apple. He’s mentioned a couple times now that Apple has indoctrinated their fans into thinking the OS is more private. But from what I remember, Apple is still refusing to bend to cops/law enforcement about phone security, at least here in the states. And I think it’s fair to say people can exist having multiple platforms at once. I run baby linux on my gaming machine at home because I’m tired of windows, but I have an iPhone because I want simplicity above all else in my “utility device” and because I trust Apple more than Google, at this point in time.

Yeah, I honestly wish they would review/scrutinize/criticize Apple hardware, because I don’t think the current reviewer options/cycle does it. But yeah, I also don’t agree with Steve on some of what his issues are, and you put it better than I could have. 20 years ago I was all about Platform Tribalism, but now I only want to have a good experience with whatever I’m wanting to do.

Vir posted:

Does this move along to asking Emily to answer for it, because I'm not cool with that. Linus is the executive producer - he's the one who should answer for it, if anyone.

e: Also what Arivia said.

Linus should absolutely be called out on this, and made to explain it, but Emily should not at all be dragged into any part of it. I would honestly fear though that Linus would make her get in front of a camera to try and defend LTT.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BEFORE KNOWING ABOUT THE MADISON STUFF if they had removed Linus, the editing mistakes, merch poo poo, and the really poor-taste jokes I would have honestly given the apology vid an A-

They addressed basically all of GN's criticisms and my one big knock against it would be that they didn't directly mention or thank Steve for the huge risk he took bringing these issues to light and that they need to be fixed immediately. But Linus's entire awful section, editing mistakes and the terrible merch plugs and jokes bring it to a C- or D for me. But now add in the knowledge about how inhumane and abusive they were to Madison and I don't even grade it, I say get the gently caress out of the classroom and never come back. The most troubling thing of all is how many people in youtube comments, reddit, twitter are doubting Madison's story and calling her crazy as though we didn't just spend the last few years hearing about the many, many accounts of women being terrorized by tech bros at Blizzard, Riot Games etc.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, that’s partly why that other Goon’s comments about not believing her, is so horrible; a female employee at Blizzard ultimately committed suicide due to the harassment they endured, so ultimately someone saying that Madison’s story couldn’t be believed, because she had harmed herself… Yeah, gently caress off with that poo poo.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gros Tarla posted:

How come? She still works there. Just no longer camera facing since she's aware the PC culture is full of horrible people.

Oh, I'd heard she'd left. Sorry for muddying the waters

I was sad about it, then happy as I though she had got out in time, now I'm sad again. Parasocial emotional rollercoaster

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I wonder if Sarah gets the same treatment there. :smith:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The cherry on top would be some hacker group revealing that they've been lurking on their intranet and are gonna leak some spicy emails.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

YerDa Zabam posted:

Oh, I'd heard she'd left. Sorry for muddying the waters

She decided to take a step back from the camera (but did appear in one video as emily) which might be what you're thinking of.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Anyone know how to remove a stitched on rubber logo from a backpack?

Asking for a friend an idiot.

The idiot is me.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, that’s partly why that other Goon’s comments about not believing her, is so horrible; a female employee at Blizzard ultimately committed suicide due to the harassment they endured, so ultimately someone saying that Madison’s story couldn’t be believed, because she had harmed herself… Yeah, gently caress off with that poo poo.

At least they got a week

Cantide posted:

Yes please enjoy your mob mentality, feels good i'm sure. Please also see that I in no way want to absolve LMG of any responsibility or wrongdoing here. Just don't rush into things without facts and don't think in black and white, people are complicated is all I'm saying. But I can see i'm hosed here, so peace out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dear thread,

Thank you for your reports. Also a quick reminder that you've got the ignore list at your disposal.

Sincerely,
Internet Explorer

buglord posted:

Were you scared when you saw 100 new posts

Like the scent of rain in the air as a thunderstorm approaches.

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.

As a poster, let me just say that your posts on this topic have been loving insufferable and I wish you would shut the gently caress up.

As a mod, I'm telling you that you're crossing the line of annoyance where instead of me telling people to put folks they don't like reading posts from on ignore, it's affecting the thread to the point where I feel like I have to probe you instead. So please consider this a friendly ask to consider taking your foot off the posting pedal.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
just checked floatplane's website, and they only currently have 21 paying channels, which is way fewer than i thought they'd have up to this point

not sure why there's a search bar at the top of that's all of them

hwub have 413 subscribers if anyone's wondering

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Which video is this from?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The idiot is me.

If it's stitched on, can you not cut one of the stitches on the rubber logo side and then remove the thread?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Romes128 posted:

Madison mentioned LMG taking some sort of managerial control over her non LMG content and taking a cut, so wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to him.

IIRC, it's been specifically asked via WAN show merch question that if Jonathan Horst from Mac Address walked, would he take the Mac Address brand with him, and it was a categorical no that he'd get to keep the branding & channel.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The idiot is me.

You could put a patch over it instead or use a seam ripper, it will leave an outline if you do and they've said they won't honor warranties if you do (lol) but it'll come off

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 16, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

kliras posted:

just checked floatplane's website, and they only currently have 21 paying channels, which is way fewer than i thought they'd have up to this point

lmao of course FW is on there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kliras posted:

Forgotten Weapons being there doesn't surprise me one bit. Mighty jingle on the other hand does.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
More surprised to see Leonard French - right about Fair Use, wrong about property law.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

yeah i was just thinking of your posting about them lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If any of the Madison accusations are proven true, this will, at the minimum, irreparably harm their brand, and Linus/Yvonne will be forced out. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling they may ignore the entire thing, and the collective goldfish midspan of the internet will forget about her accusations/awful experience and treatment there in a few weeks. :smith:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultraklystron posted:

IIRC, it's been specifically asked via WAN show merch question that if Jonathan Horst from Mac Address walked, would he take the Mac Address brand with him, and it was a categorical no that he'd get to keep the branding & channel.

yeah Mac Address is an LMG channel. I thought OP was talking about the dudes personal channel or something.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

If any of the Madison accusations are proven true, this will, at the minimum, irreparably harm their brand, and Linus/Yvonne will be forced out. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling they may ignore the entire thing, and the collective goldfish midspan of the internet will forget about it in a few weeks. :smith:

Alas after a month everybody will forget about it and go back to normal, the internet doesn't have long term memory.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

If any of the Madison accusations are proven true, this will, at the minimum, irreparably harm their brand, and Linus/Yvonne will be forced out. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling they may ignore the entire thing, and the collective goldfish midspan of the internet will forget about her accusations/awful experience and treatment there in a few weeks. :smith:

Yeah, that's my take. I"ll repeat what I said in another thread that's also talking about this:

This is going to cost him some subs in the tech dork crowd, or rather the subset of the tech dork crowd that also cares about things like sexual harassment and hostile workplaces. Which, let's face it, is not as large as it should be. To put things into context, Pewdiepie still has north of 100 million subscribers and, with a quick glance at his channel, has 8.8 million on a video about how he's a dad now . This is after he publicly said he's stepping back for a bit and years after he poo poo the bed so publicly it made CNN.

LTT is first and foremost not a channel for the tech dork enthusiast crowd, even if a lot of that crowd is exposed to it and watches it. It's about as mainstream as you can get for a channel that has opinions on things like RTX4060 memory. It's the light, funny, accessible channel that people looking for inspiration on their first watercooling build land on because it's so huge and the algorithm privileges it.

This poo poo's going to make a dent, but it's not going to shutter the channel. A month from now it will basically be business as usual.

Put another way, LTT as of right now has 15.5m subscribers. GN has 2 million. For all the love that GN gets at places like this, THEY are the small fish.

Steve wasn't loving around when he made a point in his initial video about how the blow back from something like this can hurt him and his business. LTT is the 800 lbs gorilla with strong industry connections, both inside the tech space and specifically with Youtube. poo poo, they have entire editing privileges to their videos that GN doesn't have, and 2 million subs isn't exactly nothing.

This is looming large to us because we're a bunch of tech dorks and we're the sort of people who read poo poo like Madison's story and go :stonk: and poo poo ourselves, which we loving should because it's awful. But we're not the demographic that's going to move the needle on this.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

FlapYoJacks posted:

If any of the Madison accusations are proven true, this will, at the minimum, irreparably harm their brand, and Linus/Yvonne will be forced out. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling they may ignore the entire thing, and the collective goldfish midspan of the internet will forget about it in a few weeks. :smith:

If enough outlets report on it, then they'll need to respond. And they'll use the polite, passive aggressive gaslighting strategy that every corporation does nowadays. "We see you, we hear you, and Madison's experience is valid, but the majority of the LTT family loves working here, etc."

mA fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 16, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey LMG, this probably isn't the best way to handle the Madison situation:

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15su54s/deleted_madison_comments_on_the_youtube_apology/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Ultraklystron posted:

Keep in mind that Linus got his start on the NCIX Tech Tips channel and they specifically allowed him to continue using the "Tech Tips" name when he went independent...

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never heard of it, what do you mean here?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DankPods is the only good FP channel. (trash network)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah as awful as this stuff is I don’t see any monumental long term shifts here. At this point, the best outcome is a better work environment for people at LTT. Even before the harassment allegations, permanent crunch time all the time seems horrible. All this being public and spicy hopefully opens the door to better work culture, even if the rest of the internet goes too “haha Linus is overclocking his computer using a microwave” next week.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TheOneVader posted:

Never heard of it, what do you mean here?

Short version, once upon a time Forgotten Weapons was highlighted by a bunch of people as one of the few good youtube gun channels where they didn't roll around in racism and lgbtq+phobia etc.

Then the long haired dude who ran it, who the community called "Gun Jesus" publicly poo poo the bed trying to promote a Ukrainian foreign volunteer neo-nazi's book (neo-nazi in the "right wing extreme ethno-nationalist waving around actual nazi symbosl" sense not the Russian propaganda "all ukranians are nazis" sense), and THEN decided to roll around in the mess throwing the trans community under the bus over a business deal.

There's more, but that's more of a TFR subject than a SH/SC subject. Suffice it to say he did a big heel turn that disappointed a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Looks like they turned off monetization on the apology vid according to their pinned comment