Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Goblin grammar and you have to learn gobspeak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Waffleman_ posted:

Walking one chuckles at this one

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

W.T. Fits posted:

The Savage version will include lose/loose.

I've always been a little puzzled that this one gives people trouble. The meanings are very different, unlike effect/affect, so it's much easier to learn which one to use in what context for what meaning. Maybe people mix them more in some regions, but I've never seen "he'll loose the fight at this rate" or "the dog got lose" in writing beyond grade school here in the US.

Meanwhile, effect/affect are similar enough in meaning that people make mistakes on them more often and the "sense" of what's not in use is weaker. Plus you can use them both as verbs and nouns; "the effect was weak," "his affect was unchanged," "she effected change," "it affected our work" are all grammatically valid and different in meaning.

Waffleman_ posted:

A two-enemy boss where the attack names are grammatical in both gobspeak & English, but have different effects depending on which boss is performing them, e.g. "Upwind" knocks you in the air when the gobbie uses it but does a knockback when the other boss uses it.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
a savage fight where you have to replay the HW Paladin Job Questline but you have to take it extremely seriously and clap at the end

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dragongem posted:

a savage fight where you have to replay the HW Paladin Job Questline but you have to take it extremely seriously and clap at the end

Oh come on, that's clearly an Ultimate.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bloody Emissary posted:

A two-enemy boss where the attack names are grammatical in both gobspeak & English, but have different effects depending on which boss is performing them, e.g. "Upwind" knocks you in the air when the gobbie uses it but does a knockback when the other boss uses it.

It's a shame Square parted with the Mario RPG series so early, a Fawful expy would be delightful.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dragongem posted:

yoship reuse that one quizmaster guy from ff9 and have a savage phase that's just an extremely wide-ranging lore quiz

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
Square grid arena where a Tetra Master game plays out and you have to immediately figure out which cards are gonna win on to stand in the right spots

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Martman posted:

Square grid arena where a Tetra Master game plays out and you have to immediately figure out which cards are gonna win on to stand in the right spots

This is the cruelest proposal yet. When I finished roughly full clearing FF9 twice as a youngster I still didn't know how TM worked no matter how many times I played it.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I presume EN aren't the only ones that got modified distance descriptions, maybe malm yalm ilm distance bot?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

The Savage version will include lose/loose.

Brake/Break will kill people (who will deserve it)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rogue vs Rouge.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Sweaty/sweety.

And drat, break/brake is one that I see in official training videos at the company I work for. It. Is. MADDENING.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Try And VS Try To

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

World War Mammories posted:

yoship reuse that one quizmaster guy from ff9 and have a savage phase that's just an extremely wide-ranging lore quiz
Ragtime Mouse (Ultimate)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Now that I think about it a legitimate Triple Triad boss would be pretty fun. Maybe the next time they want to reference 8.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hellioning posted:

Now that I think about it a legitimate Triple Triad boss would be pretty fun. Maybe the next time they want to reference 8.

Savage has you playing with Plus and Chaos.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Doomykins posted:

This is the cruelest proposal yet. When I finished roughly full clearing FF9 twice as a youngster I still didn't know how TM worked no matter how many times I played it.

That's because it's got layers of deliberately obtuse RNG bullshit obfuscating how it operates under the hood to prevent it from being easily solved like Triple Triad was.

Which was utterly pointless because unlike Triple Triad, there's absolutely no reason at all to engage with Tetra Master beyond the one point in the game where you're forced to play it to progress the story. There's no kind of rewards locked behind it except for some kind of trophy thing for a full set of cards with unique arrow configurations that would cause the game to crash if you did manage to complete it.

To summarize, though, each card can be generated with a random assortment of 1-8 arrows on it. When you play a card, if your place it next to an opponent's card and you have an arrow pointing at a blank space, you automatically capture their card. If the arrow is pointing at another arrow, it triggers a card battle, in which case the cards' stats are compared to determine which one wins the battle and flips the other.

Each card has four stats:

Attack Power - A hexidecimal digit from 0-F that indicates a possible range of attack strength for the card.
Type - Is the card Physical (P), Magical (M), Power (X), or Advanced (A)? This determines which stat on your opponents' cards the card attack when you trigger a battle with it.
Physical Defense: A hexidecimal digit from 0-F that indicates a possible range of defense versus physical attacks
Magical Defense: A hexidecimal digit from 0-F that indicates a possible range of defense versus magical attacks

X cards will attack whichever of your opponent's defense is lower. Advanced cards will attack whichever stat on your opponent's card is lowest, including power.

None of this matters because when you trigger a card battle to try and flip your opponent's cards, random numbers are generated that alter the cards' stats in the background, making it possible for weaker cards to beat stronger cards.

In conclusion, Tetra Master was complete bullshit and not remotely worth engaging with in any capacity.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 16, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Screaming in agony as I come to understand the true depths of depravity of TM.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
24 man raid with no ground indicators. However, effective instructions are provided by Urianger.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

24 man raid with no ground indicators. However, effective instructions are provided by Urianger.

Urianger at the sidelines just screaming DODGE, TFS Piccolo style.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

W.T. Fits posted:

Which was utterly pointless because unlike Triple Triad, there's absolutely no reason at all to engage with Tetra Master beyond the one point in the game where you're forced to play it to progress the story. There's no kind of rewards locked behind it except for some kind of trophy thing for a full set of cards with unique arrow configurations that would cause the game to crash if you did manage to complete it.
not quite a crash, better yet it just overflows the place where it shows how many "points" (for unique cards/arrow configurations) you have

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

bobtheconqueror posted:

If you don’t know forsooth you are getting kicked

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bobtheconqueror posted:

Verily, one mustest beware the most malignant attack and be preparedest to collect thyselves unto the central -

[GROUP WIPE]

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

24 man FF8 raid with Fujin and Raijin shouting conflicting directions

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Onean posted:

At level 60, as long as you've done the MSQ up to certain points, you'll have access to up to two Custom Delivery NPCs. Zhloe Aliapoh in Idyllshire is available to even free trial players (you just need to unlock Collectables in Mor Dhona at 50 and then progress the HW MSQ to the point you can access Idyllshire and unlock Rowena's shop there), and if you're currently paying (or when StB gets added) there's also M'naago in Rhalgr's Reach (she wasn't added until 4.1, so you'll need to get up through a chunk of that patch's MSQ before you can unlock her).

Custom Deliveries back up a dump truck and just flood you with scrips every week (also experience, you're guaranteed a level, if not 2 or 3). Even just Zhloe using up half of your week's allotted turn-ins will get you enough for two books if you can max Collectability, which is easier than you might expect. If you can't you'll still get enough for one book and most of a second.

i always give my collectables to Zhloe because I care about children

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bloody Emissary posted:

I've always been a little puzzled that this one gives people trouble. The meanings are very different, unlike effect/affect, so it's much easier to learn which one to use in what context for what meaning. Maybe people mix them more in some regions, but I've never seen "he'll loose the fight at this rate" or "the dog got lose" in writing beyond grade school here in the US.

Most americans are functionally illiterate and only know words they heard

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

As Oaken Bookshelf seeks out stronger and stronger glamours, Bobobo Bobo submits himself to the tutelage of one versed in the most ridiculous of martial arts...

The training techniques of the Manderville clan are harsh, indeed...
(I love finding unexpected use cases for certain emotes. Bobobo drowning there is /happy, not even with any change in expression. It does require frame-perfect pausing, though)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Doomykins posted:

It's a shame Square parted with the Mario RPG series so early, a Fawful expy would be delightful.

Mario RPG x FFXIV crossover event when, Yoshi-P? The remake is out in November!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

Mario RPG x FFXIV crossover event when, Yoshi-P? The remake is out in November!

We can dream...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

remembering when I made a berserk macro complete with <se.6> danger bongos to beg for an esuna for the pacification debuff

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

We can dream...

https://twitter.com/mommilph/status/1494789588363059201

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

<se.6> ALERT! Using Dark Knight skill Unmend. Level 84 trait "Enhanced Unmend" has reduced the recast time of Plunge by 5 seconds. Please react accordingly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thinking about the next 10 Levels coming in Dawntrail got me thinking about which of Edgar's Tools Machinist currently doesn't have access to. One of these might be a new Skill in 7.0:

Noiseblaster, Flash, or Debilitator.

Noiseblaster applies Confuse in FF6, so probably some kind of Debuff for FF14.
Flash applies Blind in FF6, and that could work in FF14.
Debilitator adds a random Elemental Weakness in FF6, so it could apply a random Debuff in FF14.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they're gonna add a charge to drill/bioblaster

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Thinking about the next 10 Levels coming in Dawntrail got me thinking about which of Edgar's Tools Machinist currently doesn't have access to. One of these might be a new Skill in 7.0:

Noiseblaster, Flash, or Debilitator.

Noiseblaster applies Confuse in FF6, so probably some kind of Debuff for FF14.
Flash applies Blind in FF6, and that could work in FF14.
Debilitator adds a random Elemental Weakness in FF6, so it could apply a random Debuff in FF14.

If they're going to give MCH a removed old PLD skill they'd better give MNK a certain removed old MRD/WAR skill. :colbert:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

King's Gambit where you fuse with the Automaton Queen for a reaper style burst phase.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Give MCH an AoE that shares a cooldown with Air Anchor and gives Battery. Yes, I know Chainsaw exists, but that doesn't share a cooldown. For kicks, make it Debilitator and it's a DoT like Bioblaster. Then give the automaton queen an upgrade that changes it's basic attack to an AoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kheldarn posted:

We can dream...

Im casting rescue on you immediately