Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

quote:

Pinned by Linus Tech Tips
@LinusTechTips
5 hours ago (edited)
Update 2: We've heard the feedback from our community and from our team internally and monetization has been turned off for this video.

They apparently turned off monetization for the apology video because they even got flak for it internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

TheOneVader posted:

Never heard of it, what do you mean here?

Forgotten Weapons is a gun channel with Ian (host) at the range pretty often. Gun culture/politics being what it is, and YouTube being extremely trigger happy on demonetizing makes it hard to be a gun guy. I’d argue Ian plays it about as safe and professionally as you can get on the topic of guns, but I remember him posting about X video being demonetized for nebulous reasons.

e:

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's more, but that's more of a TFR subject than a SH/SC subject. Suffice it to say he did a big heel turn that disappointed a lot of people.

Welp never mind lmao.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

just checked floatplane's website, and they only currently have 21 paying channels, which is way fewer than i thought they'd have up to this point

There's a bunch of other platforms that are doing the same thing or variants on the same thing, for ex Nebula which has attracted way more viewers and creators.

I think LTT was the wrong creator to spearhead a subscription video service in the tech space. What people will pay for is very different from what they'll watch on a lark because it got pushed on youtube and had a clickbait title. IMO you need content like L1T or someone else doing well-researched tutorials and how-tos.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Looks like they turned off monetization on the apology vid according to their pinned comment

the fact they had to be berated into it speaks volumes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Grumbles posted:

I think it's in everyone's collective interest that Steve from GN is kept as far as possible from anything Apple. Imagine. The closed systems. The sacrificing of raw power in exchange for tasteful design. Laptops with literally no airflow. The poorly labelled charts in their product launches. The anti-market business practices. CPU's that still somehow run more efficiently than anything else on the market despite all the above. It'd be too much for him.

yeah rossmann already occupies that space anyway

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mr.Radar posted:

Keep in mind that Linus got his start on the NCIX Tech Tips channel and they specifically allowed him to continue using the "Tech Tips" name when he went independent...

Oh the hypocrisy is tangible for sure with Linus not being will to give his creatives the same leeway he got. Classic pull up the ladder stuff.

Skeezy posted:

DankPods is the only good FP channel. (trash network)

:hmmyes:

I wonder at which point Floatplane being an LMG subsidiary results in creators like DankPods/Trash Network bailing. With so few creators on the platform, Luke & co. are probably in a good position to smooth things over personally with each one, but I would not be shocked if some of them, especially ones who are already set for life like DankPods, just exit for yet another platform.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Probably soonish, I know Dankpods mostly ended up there because youtube streaming sucks and Twitch automodding or something banned him over his drum stream IIRC and he couldn't get it overturned

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm sure you guys are aware that they also have employees 'volunteer' to pose as models for all their clothes including underwear

I made the image small on purpose, but the thumbnails on the left are of regular employees. I always found this troublesome because even though they're volunteers there can obviously be pressure to be a team player. And it's not outside photographers doing the shots, it's the in house team. All this to save a few bucks by not hiring actual models.

:stonk: Good god.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

how fired is this dude?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Probably soonish, I know Dankpods mostly ended up there because youtube streaming sucks and Twitch automodding or something banned him over his drum stream IIRC and he couldn't get it overturned

FW is likely going ride or die since YouTube hates his content.

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

There won't be a body left to bury after starting this.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

I thought he was jailed in romania

loose goose
Oct 29, 2012

once i possess what i desire the millenium rod will mean absolutely nothing to me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes sorry that's my hot take. Some soldiers might injure themselves instead of going to the front because 1) they could be killed or be forced to kill in combat, 2) there's literally no legal way out and 3) punishment can court-martial or execution on the spot or having your family punished etc.

Two things can be bad but not necessarily similar or a good example for the other. I hope we can talk about this without immediately going "what do you mean Linus isn't literally worse than Hitler!?"

SlowBloke posted:

Given the small business tyrant ownership, she would have incurred in a series of scenarios ranging from monetary damage, reputation damage, loss of housing to jail and deportation(she was living in canada on a job visa). Not as bad as an infantryman under Cadorna but still not very fun.
How did I make it sound like it's very fun? Realistically the stakes are on entirely different planet, for the reasons I wrote above, so I just don't think it's a good example.

In the very same post I said that Linus should be punished for running a hostile work environment, being the owner/ceo/c-whatever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, that's my take. I"ll repeat what I said in another thread that's also talking about this:

This is going to cost him some subs in the tech dork crowd, or rather the subset of the tech dork crowd that also cares about things like sexual harassment and hostile workplaces. Which, let's face it, is not as large as it should be. To put things into context, Pewdiepie still has north of 100 million subscribers and, with a quick glance at his channel, has 8.8 million on a video about how he's a dad now . This is after he publicly said he's stepping back for a bit and years after he poo poo the bed so publicly it made CNN.

LTT is first and foremost not a channel for the tech dork enthusiast crowd, even if a lot of that crowd is exposed to it and watches it. It's about as mainstream as you can get for a channel that has opinions on things like RTX4060 memory. It's the light, funny, accessible channel that people looking for inspiration on their first watercooling build land on because it's so huge and the algorithm privileges it.

This poo poo's going to make a dent, but it's not going to shutter the channel. A month from now it will basically be business as usual.

Put another way, LTT as of right now has 15.5m subscribers. GN has 2 million. For all the love that GN gets at places like this, THEY are the small fish.

Steve wasn't loving around when he made a point in his initial video about how the blow back from something like this can hurt him and his business. LTT is the 800 lbs gorilla with strong industry connections, both inside the tech space and specifically with Youtube. poo poo, they have entire editing privileges to their videos that GN doesn't have, and 2 million subs isn't exactly nothing.

This is looming large to us because we're a bunch of tech dorks and we're the sort of people who read poo poo like Madison's story and go :stonk: and poo poo ourselves, which we loving should because it's awful. But we're not the demographic that's going to move the needle on this.
My guess is that they'll sail through this by doing a few more apologies unless maybe Madison can take actual legal action against them. That said there is some hope, for example the Opening Arguments podcast guy turned out to be a sex pest and his pateron numbers aren't even close to recovering

Xakura posted:

IIRC they released him :(

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Xakura posted:

gently caress

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I don't agree with folks who wish LMG just crashed and burned because that's not good for anybody involved. And that Madison thing reads as a specific people problem in a very crunch heavy techbro run company.

The best thing Linus could do right now is shut the gently caress up for once and let normal non internet brain poisoned people deal with this in a sensible way. A good company should address all that head on. Linus is an idiot but I don't think he's evil. I feel like Yvonne and Luke could turn this around if he listens to them.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Xakura posted:

I was going to make a similar joke but decided not to lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheOneVader posted:

Never heard of it, what do you mean here?

code:

https://twitter.com/paulsl_3/status/1627074494572679169

in Feb of 2023, McCollum did a collaboration with gun youtuber "Administrative Results"

Administrative Results is a synonym for Executive Outcomes, which is the name of a mercenary company from South Africa that supported the apartheid regime in the 1980s. The Administrative Results guy, in particular, has also posted pro-Rhodesia content

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ultraklystron posted:

IIRC, it's been specifically asked via WAN show merch question that if Jonathan Horst from Mac Address walked, would he take the Mac Address brand with him, and it was a categorical no that he'd get to keep the branding & channel.

Inside Gaming -> Inside Games type situation :haw:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes sorry that's my hot take. Some soldiers might injure themselves instead of going to the front because 1) they could be killed or be forced to kill in combat, 2) there's literally no legal way out and 3) punishment can court-martial or execution on the spot or having your family punished etc.

No, your comment was just weird.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Vic posted:

I don't agree with folks who wish LMG just crashed and burned because that's not good for anybody involved.

The wish is not for good things to happen to people involved. The wish is for bad things to happen to some of the people involved.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ultraklystron posted:

IIRC, it's been specifically asked via WAN show merch question that if Jonathan Horst from Mac Address walked, would he take the Mac Address brand with him, and it was a categorical no that he'd get to keep the branding & channel.

He can just rebrand into uhhhhh MAC Binding

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Two things can be bad but not necessarily similar or a good example for the other. I hope we can talk about this without immediately going "what do you mean Linus isn't literally worse than Hitler!?"

How did I make it sound like it's very fun? Realistically the stakes are on entirely different planet, for the reasons I wrote above, so I just don't think it's a good example.

Pull the gently caress up. Someone that is under psychological distress, burnout and other depressive states won't think straight, logically and coherently. You cannot dismiss someone going one step close to suicide to just have "the vapors" because soldiers did the same trick if faced with execution.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The wish is not for good things to happen to people involved. The wish is for bad things to happen to some of the people involved.

Yeah what I mean is the offenders getting the boot rather than everyone losing their jobs and the problem not being addressed in a positive way, or at all.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short version, once upon a time Forgotten Weapons was highlighted by a bunch of people as one of the few good youtube gun channels where they didn't roll around in racism and lgbtq+phobia etc.

Then the long haired dude who ran it, who the community called "Gun Jesus" publicly poo poo the bed trying to promote a Ukrainian foreign volunteer neo-nazi's book (neo-nazi in the "right wing extreme ethno-nationalist waving around actual nazi symbosl" sense not the Russian propaganda "all ukranians are nazis" sense), and THEN decided to roll around in the mess throwing the trans community under the bus over a business deal.

There's more, but that's more of a TFR subject than a SH/SC subject. Suffice it to say he did a big heel turn that disappointed a lot of people.

Woof, thanks. That's certainly someone to keep around on your platform.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
the thread on the LTT forums about madison has now turned into an absolute gamergate-style cesspool. wish I could say i was surprised.

yeah, this won't have much impact at all on LTT, unfortunately. They'll just post through it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

He looks vaguely like Linus with a different hairline, he may be kept on as a future body double. :catstare:

Those with any sense are panicking and those without are only making the hole deeper.

--------------

The Mighty Jingles on Floatplane is a bit odd, guess he diversified for income... his cameraman Ed died from bowel cancer last month btw.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

mobby_6kl posted:

Nobody said working at LTT was like the trenches at somme, they were using it as an example of how terrible situations might make irrational actions like self harm rational.

When you jump in with "well actually, they wont get shot for deserting linus" that undermines her experiences and actions, and imply that she was irrational, and thus not reliable.

It wasn't a hot take, it was a poo poo take.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kalleth posted:

the thread on the LTT forums about madison has now turned into an absolute gamergate-style cesspool. wish I could say i was surprised.

yeah, this won't have much impact at all on LTT, unfortunately. They'll just post through it.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after the dust settles, the YouTube channel doesn't lose anything after the comma/period separator from the current numbers.

Just Another Lurker posted:

The Mighty Jingles on Floatplane is a bit odd, guess he diversified for income... his cameraman Ed died from bowel cancer last month btw.

Oh gently caress, I remember the video about him getting sent to the hospital on my timeline a few months back :( .

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 16, 2023

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

kalleth posted:

At the very least Reddit seems to be almost entirely on Madison's side, maybe because the threads about her situation have made the front page so they're drawing in people outside the LTT diehards.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

At the very least Reddit seems to be almost entirely on Madison's side, maybe because the threads about her situation have made the front page so they're drawing in people outside the LTT diehards.

Pretty much, yeah. The smaller LTT posts about her are more about "wow, karma farming much" and "but but but evidence"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Edit: NM

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The LTT forums are no gauge - these are people so dedicated to riding Linus' dick they joined a forum based around him.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kalleth posted:

The thread on the LTT forums about Madison has become an absolute Gamergate-style cesspool. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Yeah, unfortunately, this won't have much impact on LTT. They'll post through it.

Looking at it, it seems like it's 90% in support of Madison and 10% very loud people calling her a liar and all sorts of other things. That being said, it won't have much impact unless she can lawyer up and sue them AND win.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Oh gently caress, I remember the video about him getting sent to the hospital on my timeline a few months back :( .

On a lighter note he mentioned that he went round to Eds' house and deleted his browser history before his parents could see it "because that's what buds do for each other".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

On a lighter note he mentioned that he went round to Eds' house and deleted his browser history before his parents could see it "because that's what buds do for each other".

I want a true friend like that :rip:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

power crystals posted:

She decided to take a step back from the camera (but did appear in one video as emily) which might be what you're thinking of.

This really bothered me at the time and people here said I was reading too much into it but given the context I am going to bring it up again.

Emily was pretty clear that she was not stepping back for personal reasons involving her transition, that she was stepping back to protect LTT. She said she had support and it was a personal decision, but to me there was clear subtext that while it may have been her decision, her decision was informed by the fact that being on camera as a trans woman would bring unwelcome attention to LTT and their audience would respond in a negative way.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

He can just rebrand into uhhhhh MAC Binding

mac spoofing

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
such a positive work environment you need a mirror to make sure nobody's creepin on you

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sponsorblock has a setting for "filler/humour" that's off by default. I set mine to show on the timeline rather than skipping as sometimes I don't mind the odd bit of waffle. Holy poo poo look at it on the "apology" video.

-fake edit - It's hard to see fully, so I've clipped the list of parts.
Just look at it haha, what the gently caress.

I'm going to set it for "skip" later and re-watch the video. It should be a trip.

Oh yeah, big shout out to the Sponsorblock. I don't think I'd watch much youtube without it. My stats say that I've saved multiple entire days since I started using it a few years ago, and that's not even tracking every installation I have.
No idea what the situation is on Apple stuff, but I have it on Chrome, Firefox (even mobile) and even side-loaded onto my Android/Google TV thanks to Smart Tube.
(Smart Tube is another god send for youtube)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Working in an office/cube farm mirrors are vital to be able to hide any stuff on your monitor when you see someone coming!!