Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cyrano4747 posted:

No no no, this is the part of your business that works to hire local contractors and consultants to help your firm navigate the complex realities of the local culture and customs, while keeping your high ethical standards and staying inside of anti-bribery legislation.

(Because you just hire the local fixers to 'make this problem go away" and pay them very generously for that, and if they turn around and bribe local officials that's a them problem, not a you problem, you certainly had no idea that your trusted local associate was going to bribe someone and the company will surely not hire them again in the future)

Oh I know, I was joking that the training was "if you notice that someone is displaying signs you can pick up on, let us know so we can 'encourage' them to be more subtle," since Baraduk apparently works at a Yakuza front.

Killingyouguy! posted:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my god why are scientists like this

I once had to ask a coworker 'what is the hypothesis of your experiment, bc we operate on an experiment basis' and they were basically like 'idk we're just loving around'

If you retroactively decide what your hypothesis is then whatever except I cannot help you on the computers side of things At All, for me to help you you need to be able to articulate to me what you want to do

To be fair, a shocking amount of scientific discovery seems to come from "oh huh that's weird," so "uh idk let's just zap it with the quantum reticulator and see what happens" feels like a cromulent line of inquiry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Volmarias posted:

Oh I know, I was joking that the training was "if you notice that someone is displaying signs you can pick up on, let us know so we can 'encourage' them to be more subtle," since Baraduk apparently works at a Yakuza front.

To be fair, a shocking amount of scientific discovery seems to come from "oh huh that's weird," so "uh idk let's just zap it with the quantum reticulator and see what happens" feels like a cromulent line of inquiry.
Discovery and proof are two different things. Discovery sometimes coincidentally offers proof but it's not a given. Using experiment design to require a hypothesis and have some amount of independent review is a good first step for ensuring you actually proved something.

Talking about business operations here as much as academics or knowledge based business. Trying to sell discovery without proof will be at best embarrassing and at worst involves harm to the business/organization if not people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

Discovery and proof are two different things. Discovery sometimes coincidentally offers proof but it's not a given. Using experiment design to require a hypothesis and have some amount of independent review is a good first step for ensuring you actually proved something.

Talking about business operations here as much as academics or knowledge based business. Trying to sell discovery without proof will be at best embarrassing and at worst involves harm to the business/organization if not people.

Ok, but if that's so why does science journalism tell us all about how someone made a cold fusion happen (no really guys I saw it!) every single week or so?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

Ok, but if that's so why does science journalism tell us all about how someone made a cold fusion happen (no really guys I saw it!) every single week or so?

Because half the 'journals' in academia are pay-2-publish, where they'll credulously believe anything you tell them, if you can afford the publishing fee. Or the 'peer review*' fee. Or they're journals run by the free energy/homeopathic medicine/urine therapy types, and as long as your woo sounds like the woo they're peddling, welcome to the rarefied ranks of published academia!

*Peer Review is not actually a review, and is not conducted by anything that could be legally described as a 'peer'.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Volmarias posted:

Science journalism, as in mass media content focusing on science?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

BiggerBoat posted:

Or, at best, they change a bunch of poo poo that's not broken just for the sake of changing it so they feel like they're accomplishing something. Like "now x and y are going be color coded and z is renamed to something stupid".

Reminds me of when a new brewmaster took over at one of the larger breweries I worked at, and one of his first casual comments was, "You know, 'yeast dumps' sounds so gross and crass. Why don't we rename it to 'yeast draw-offs', or YDOs?" And everybody looked at him like he had three heads because a) "[x] dump" is one of the most common and universally understood terms in the industry, and b) there were a hundred thousand problems left behind by his predecessor that we wanted him to fix. Management brain is such a bizarre condition.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
BIG rear end YEAST DUMPS

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

My step dad has trouble with the concept of windows, plural.

He was a regional bank manager in a national chain until the mid 2000s.

E: and an elected politician for 4 years after that.

From pages ago, but I imagined he had trouble not with computer windows, but with actual, building windows. :v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RocketMermaid posted:

Reminds me of when a new brewmaster took over at one of the larger breweries I worked at, and one of his first casual comments was, "You know, 'yeast dumps' sounds so gross and crass. Why don't we rename it to 'yeast draw-offs', or YDOs?" And everybody looked at him like he had three heads because a) "[x] dump" is one of the most common and universally understood terms in the industry, and b) there were a hundred thousand problems left behind by his predecessor that we wanted him to fix. Management brain is such a bizarre condition.

Fixing things is hard, doing gently caress all and telling management you're implementing your plans to fix the company culture works long enough until you can jump ship with an extra management notch on your resume.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Because half the 'journals' in academia are pay-2-publish, where they'll credulously believe anything you tell them, if you can afford the publishing fee. Or the 'peer review*' fee. Or they're journals run by the free energy/homeopathic medicine/urine therapy types, and as long as your woo sounds like the woo they're peddling, welcome to the rarefied ranks of published academia!

*Peer Review is not actually a review, and is not conducted by anything that could be legally described as a 'peer'.

:thejoke:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

If the cleaning staff were posting here they probably would complain about their dumb toilet based metrics structure that forces them to clean a clean toilet instead of cleaning the dirty walls.

They’re under paid contractors and almost certainly don’t have anything to scrape boogers, other than a toilet brush.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Found a neat perverse incentive at work today. You know how a while back I posted about the weird nonstandard hell chamber? The decades old design that is basically an etch machine kitbashed into being a preclean? Well theres one in the queue tonight and because its huge and weird it can only go in one of the two outer corner ports of a bay.

Of course that means we’re extra attentive to the machines currently there. No need to rush, measure twice cut once! Or measure thrice even.

Because seriously gently caress those weird ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why are people booking the largest conference rooms on the floor to sit in by themselves all day? :argh:

I get that nobody wants to sit in the tiny phone booths for more than half an hour but there are plenty smaller rooms if you need to make confidential calls or whatever.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, they designed this assembly to use wire insulation as a vent line. Then switched to a braided wire which can't be easily removed from the insulation.

Just amateur hour poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Why are people booking the largest conference rooms on the floor to sit in by themselves all day? :argh:

I get that nobody wants to sit in the tiny phone booths for more than half an hour but there are plenty smaller rooms if you need to make confidential calls or whatever.

Laffo if you arent booking these as your private office and smoking in them, daring lower ranked employees to try and dislodge you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol, they designed this assembly to use wire insulation as a vent line. Then switched to a braided wire which can't be easily removed from the insulation.

That does not seem like a manufacturer approved application.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

That's when you just strip out the wire from the insulation and then braid it afterwards. If it's just a vent line I can't see why the twists per inch is going to actually cause a problem. Wait, why not just buy the PTFE tubing instead of buy insulated wire and strip out the wire?

In terms of designers loving up...this week has been hell so far. We're restarting production on a part/deliverable unit that has been paused since 2020 and was only ever produced in our Russian partner's facility. We basically had to rebuild our entire supply chain and operations list around this part while we depleted our stock of components the partner shipped us days before Putin started a loving war. We have a vendor performing a final machining operation on one piece and modifying four other parts that have to get to the customer for next week, meaning they need to be done on Friday of this week. This is near the top priority for the company and I have project engineers, sales reps, designers, contractors, and executives asking me a dozen times per day how the first article unit and the reworks are going. What I didn't have was the designers telling me they were issuing new revs of the operations in process for both versions of the P/N. I found that out when one of the contractors went to the vendor and told them to stop work on both parts as they were going to rev things and the vendor asked me when I would be sending them the revs.

Why is a Coatings Engineer leading the charge on getting parts machined? Why is a Project Engineer I've never heard of using installation level part numbers to refer to parts being worked? Why are they both asking the same questions? Why are five different designers sending me files not approved to leave our systems demanding I send files to the vendor that they are also in contact with on a completely different email chain? I got a call from the program manager asking who the Coatings Engineer was and why he was demanding updates (and also meetings over minor questions that I avoided with two paragraph e-mails) when no one on the team had ever heard of him before this set of parts had come up. Yesterday was a shitshow because the designers released their revisions that just added an alternative method for machining a couple features, not even a real design change. We stopped work for two days over nothing and I'm still being held accountable for the vendor to finish the rework parts by Friday. I've told the team that I fully expect this to slip to next week due to the unnecessary changes in the design and that I'll only answer to the program manager from now on to avoid these problems. We'll see how that goes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"We remain short-handed and it's going to get worse with some retirements and quitting, so uh..
please don't bother asking for any time off."

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
my wife works at the same company as me in a different department. on her team up until the last couple weeks has been the most useless person I've encountered so far at this job, asks for help on the most basic poo poo on every single call, customers get mad speaking to her frequently because she's just so loving useless that even for simple poo poo like card activation she will put the customer on hold over and over again desperately pleaing in chat for someone to help her. no matter how simple the issue is she does this. she is absolutely loving useless and I don't know how she even got to where she was on a team with my wife, who is hyper competent.

well, she has now been promoted to our 'universal' call channel. this is a call channel that handles all our card types and is a higher level, higher pay grade call channel. 'problem solvers' should be on this channel, people who have a deep, comprehensive and useful knowledge of our systems. how did she get promoted to this position? I was watching job postings and didn't see this one or my wife would have applied for it. it was never mentioned to her. instead this useless loving moron was promoted from my wife's team to this relatively prestigious call channel. I'm a coach, someone who teaches agents the skills universal agents will need - I found out that she was promoted to this because I'm helping lead the training group and I recognized her from my wife complaining about what a useless drain this person is on their team and on every meeting she's involved in.

well, my wife wasn't kidding. she asks 'is mayonaisse an instrument' level questions every single meeting. she does so slowly, somehow managing to make every annoying breathing noise, every little mouth noise, come through on teams. she interrupts other people who aren't asking moronic questions. she can't handle even the simplest call type - even the ones related to the department she just promoted from. we went from a call where we reviewed calls about FICO scores and alerts to taking calls - and the last call we reviewed was a caller getting a specific type of inquiry alert and how to handle it. we went over it in detail. she asked questions even, so she was there and ostensibly paying attention.

out of curiosity I live listened to her once we left the call. the first call she got was the call type we were just speaking about less than 3 minutes prior to the call. she was utterly perplexed. completely out of her element. could not even figure out what an alert is. literally, she asked what an alert is in chat. she didn't know how to go see the alert. she asked the customer to log in to their online account and tell her what the alert says, instead of looking herself, which is trivially easy. she did not know how to do it at all, had not even heard of the tool we use for it somehow(which was vitally important to both her previous job roles). the call took 12 minutes when it should have taken 2 maximum. she was panicking the whole time.

how does this happen? how do recruiters gently caress up this badly? she is going to get defect after defect after defect and get fired in this call channel. whoever put her in this role did neither the company nor her any favor. why was she told about this posting instead of my wife? how is everyone so loving stupid? ?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

teemolover42069 posted:

how does this happen? how do recruiters gently caress up this badly? she is going to get defect after defect after defect and get fired in this call channel. whoever put her in this role did neither the company nor her any favor. why was she told about this posting instead of my wife? how is everyone so loving stupid? ?

Promoted with the intent to fire?

That happened at my wife's job a few years back. They had someone who was amazingly incompetent who had skated by for years and eventually drew the attention of someone senior who wanted to document stuff before canning them. Their solution was to bump her up a level to a position where she would absolutely sink if she wasn't prepared and where her gently caress ups would be very clearly recorded for both internal and regulatory reasons.

My cynical take was that it was also probably a way to encourage her to quit. She ended up quitting before she got fired, so if that was the play it worked.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

teemolover42069 posted:

my wife works at the same company as me in a different department. on her team up until the last couple weeks has been the most useless person I've encountered so far at this job, asks for help on the most basic poo poo on every single call, customers get mad speaking to her frequently because she's just so loving useless that even for simple poo poo like card activation she will put the customer on hold over and over again desperately pleaing in chat for someone to help her. no matter how simple the issue is she does this. she is absolutely loving useless and I don't know how she even got to where she was on a team with my wife, who is hyper competent.

well, she has now been promoted to our 'universal' call channel. this is a call channel that handles all our card types and is a higher level, higher pay grade call channel. 'problem solvers' should be on this channel, people who have a deep, comprehensive and useful knowledge of our systems. how did she get promoted to this position? I was watching job postings and didn't see this one or my wife would have applied for it. it was never mentioned to her. instead this useless loving moron was promoted from my wife's team to this relatively prestigious call channel. I'm a coach, someone who teaches agents the skills universal agents will need - I found out that she was promoted to this because I'm helping lead the training group and I recognized her from my wife complaining about what a useless drain this person is on their team and on every meeting she's involved in.

well, my wife wasn't kidding. she asks 'is mayonaisse an instrument' level questions every single meeting. she does so slowly, somehow managing to make every annoying breathing noise, every little mouth noise, come through on teams. she interrupts other people who aren't asking moronic questions. she can't handle even the simplest call type - even the ones related to the department she just promoted from. we went from a call where we reviewed calls about FICO scores and alerts to taking calls - and the last call we reviewed was a caller getting a specific type of inquiry alert and how to handle it. we went over it in detail. she asked questions even, so she was there and ostensibly paying attention.

out of curiosity I live listened to her once we left the call. the first call she got was the call type we were just speaking about less than 3 minutes prior to the call. she was utterly perplexed. completely out of her element. could not even figure out what an alert is. literally, she asked what an alert is in chat. she didn't know how to go see the alert. she asked the customer to log in to their online account and tell her what the alert says, instead of looking herself, which is trivially easy. she did not know how to do it at all, had not even heard of the tool we use for it somehow(which was vitally important to both her previous job roles). the call took 12 minutes when it should have taken 2 maximum. she was panicking the whole time.

She is in training. I bet anything that she was placed there to fail training so she can be let go because her previous position is no longer available.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
This 'promoted with the intent to fire' thing has added an entirely new dimension to my imposter syndrome

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Serious_Cyclone posted:

This 'promoted with the intent to fire' thing has added an entirely new dimension to my imposter syndrome

Well if you get told about your exciting new opportunity in Singapore, you'll know what's up

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A man is using an MS paint pencil tool to describe a countersunk hole on a flange on a drawing he produced while having the drawing he produced on screen only to realize he had listed both countersunk and scalloped holes on half a dozen locations which will create thin wall conditions across the flange. Real time cringe made exponentially worse by the purchasing guy (me) having to correct him on his callouts on the drawing because there were references to sheets no longer included on the drawing after the latest revision.

I don't love being that guy, but there's no way we can demand production without having producable drawings.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Just let them make poo poo up as they want to on the production floor, sounds like a simple fix.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lazyfire posted:

A man is using an MS paint pencil tool to describe a countersunk hole on a flange on a drawing he produced while having the drawing he produced on screen only to realize he had listed both countersunk and scalloped holes on half a dozen locations which will create thin wall conditions across the flange. Real time cringe made exponentially worse by the purchasing guy (me) having to correct him on his callouts on the drawing because there were references to sheets no longer included on the drawing after the latest revision.

I don't love being that guy, but there's no way we can demand production without having producable drawings.

Nah, you just use a 5 axis wire EDM to cut those thin wall countersinks on all the holes, a sinker EDM with custom electrodes to counterbore the holes! Nothing is impossible to machine, the cost just quickly ramps from 'acceptable' through to 'hand finished electron beam welded 3d printed nightmare'.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Nepotism hire. Better kiss her rear end now because she will be your boss next week and the CEO by the end of the year.

Other option: is Undercover Boss still a thing?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teemolover42069 posted:

she is going to get defect after defect after defect and get fired in this call channel.
Got this far and immediately thought

Cyrano4747 posted:

Promoted with the intent to fire?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, you just use a 5 axis wire EDM to cut those thin wall countersinks on all the holes, a sinker EDM with custom electrodes to counterbore the holes! Nothing is impossible to machine, the cost just quickly ramps from 'acceptable' through to 'hand finished electron beam welded 3d printed nightmare'.

I don't love that I recognize all of these things, though I've only ever seen a three axis EDM in person I have to assume a 5 or 7 is out there. Believe it or not the EB weld steps on some parts is so incredibly cheap that we can send dozens of pieces through the process and still not meet the vendors $500 minimum charge.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

teemolover42069 posted:

What does she look like and who hired her? Sexism is alive and well in hiring practices.

So is nepotism for that matter. Is she related to anyone by any chance?

The place I work at has food and drink services for the customers and very clearly hires young, attractive women for the server positions - emphasizing physical appearance over talent because the service is loving terrible and has been since i started a year ago.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

What does she look like and who hired her? Sexism is alive and well in hiring practices.

So is nepotism for that matter. Is she related to anyone by any chance?

The place I work at has food and drink services for the customers and very clearly hires young, attractive women for the server positions - emphasizing physical appearance over talent because the service is loving terrible and has been since i started a year ago.

she is a middle aged black woman. I think it's much more likely this was a 'promote to a place where it's easier to fire her' situation, though I don't know how she could possibly have been avoiding defects in the call channel she was in before. the whole situation is just confusing to me but it's definitely way easier for her to get defects in the new call channel.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

teemolover42069 posted:

how is everyone so loving stupid? ?

Let me know when you figure this one out.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

We should get a beer and complain about engineers 'designing' nigh unproduceable parts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The company had a “Townhall Meeting” with the CEO over Zoom. This is my first time hearing him talk but when he launched into a woo spiel about AI and our products my eyes rolled so hard I could see my brain. He kept referring to the Exponential Age of Technology which appears to have been coined by a pop business writer and essentially seems to be singularity jerk-off material for idiots. Doin good!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

teemolover42069 posted:

she is a middle aged black woman. I think it's much more likely this was a 'promote to a place where it's easier to fire her' situation, though I don't know how she could possibly have been avoiding defects in the call channel she was in before. the whole situation is just confusing to me but it's definitely way easier for her to get defects in the new call channel.

That is some diversity bingo right there. If your company is even slightly worried about a lawsuit, it is another point to the promote with intent to fire.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

That is some diversity bingo right there. If your company is even slightly worried about a lawsuit, it is another point to the promote with intent to fire.

couldn't comment on that, but I can say that almost every single person in leadership I've interacted with here has been a woman, and many of them are POC as well. the team leader for the team I'm supporting as a coach right now is, and of the agents on the team when I first got to it, 17 out of 18 were women, most of them poc. (the team is smaller now because many of them have promoted or progressed in various ways). this has been the case for most of the teams I've been on as well - I think wfh call center work is perhaps more likely to be skewed this way for whatever reason?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Could always be something else. And if call center work skews to a more diverse employee pool, then there is probably less of a chance that the company is worried about lawsuits, as I am sure they are generally firing people some routinely in a call center. At least in the entry level positions.

But never having worked in one, I just have the stories I have read here on SA to go by. And all the crazy metrics it would seem that a lot of call centers use to abuse their low level employees.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

Could always be something else. And if call center work skews to a more diverse employee pool, then there is probably less of a chance that the company is worried about lawsuits, as I am sure they are generally firing people some routinely in a call center. At least in the entry level positions.

But never having worked in one, I just have the stories I have read here on SA to go by. And all the crazy metrics it would seem that a lot of call centers use to abuse their low level employees.

god yes we term people constantly even though we're insanely nice about it. it takes 12 attendance issues in a 90 day period for someone to get put on corrective action for example. TWELVE. That's actually a loving lot! and yet, some people still cannot handle it. I've worked in several call centers, and this one is by far the nicest to its employees - like, there is really no comparison at all. previous ones were absolutely ridiculous about tracking breaks, bathroom breaks, and every metric you can imagine. here it's just a couple core metrics and "please show up to work".

but call center work is burnout central, it takes a certain kind of person to be able to take 150 phone calls in a day every day. so while we have a lot of turnover, we also go to a lot of effort to keep employees if they've demonstrated they can keep showing up even if they're god awfully terrible beyond that.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Gout flared up in a big way so I asked to WFH as the bus stop is a mile's walk. Was told to take a sick day.
Company policy is "you're sick or you're not", ie don't work at all if you're unwell. Which I think is a great policy if you have a cold, but I just wanted an accommodation for a mobility issue. I was only due in one day this week and the others I was already going to WFH with my gross swollen toe so it made no sense. I don't know why I argued so much against it as they weren't going to dock my pay.
Anyway, I won in the end and didn't take a sick day.

I got a call my granny died so I took a bereavement day instead. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's the final day for my last remaining co worker asides from the boss today, and I just so happened to have tomorrow and Saturday booked off and my boss is taking it out on all her clients today! :woop: