Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

They completely rebuilt the game on a different engine (the one used for Powerslave/Exhumed), under the belief that using a Saturn-centric engine would be quicker and cheaper than cramming Id Tech into the Saturn. Which may have been true, per-se, but it certainly wasn't as quick or cheap as hoped and Lobotomy didn't last too much longer afterwards.

a phyrric victory :(

Convex fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A follow-up to my thoughts on things sort of related to the Egon gun.... Quake 2's Phalanx plays the sound of the Ghostbusters neutrino wand being turned on after it fires.

Very nice :golfclap:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm mostly through the second section of Ground Zero. nice of them to sort of bring back the nail gun although it's definitely got that nerfed feeling like the railgun in base campaign. plasma beam was a hell yea moment, finally i can be annoying right back at those soldier grunts

they brought a little of the multiple-path action back compared to The Reckoning. enemy placement is maybe spinning its wheels a bit tho, they pretty much always put an enemy around the other side of a crate

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I had a good time playing through the main campaign, but the Reckoning is wearing me out a bit. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it's like they took the took the few things in the main game that annoyed me and then decided to lean into them.

Gonna push through, but I hope Ground Zero is better. At least I know the Machine episode is good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone in here been playing multi? I saw someone with goon in their tag but it's a pretty common word...

Got kicked from a server while I was in first place though!

Are the add-ons shorter or longer than the main game? I was getting a little tired of vanilla by the time I finished. I really really want this perfect game though

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Convex posted:

a phyrric victory :(

Reminds me of the infamous doom port to the 3DO. The programmer behind it talks about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU

Sounds like an absolutely nightmare project. Amazing she actually even managed to get it done.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone in here been playing multi? I saw someone with goon in their tag but it's a pretty common word...

Got kicked from a server while I was in first place though!

Are the add-ons shorter or longer than the main game? I was getting a little tired of vanilla by the time I finished. I really really want this perfect game though

I played MP a bit just long enough to get top of the board. I'd legit go back to playing Q2 mp regularly if they added in the jailbreak mod, I loved that so much. Two teams, each with a jail and the maps usually resembled some kind of 2fort setup with a no man's land. Anyone who gets killed respawns in the enemy jail, and they can be freed by hitting a button somewhere in the base. Most jails would also have a way for prisoners to escape if they worked together, like one crouching and another jumping on their back to reach a vent in the top corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKB681bmSlY

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 16, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

dr_rat posted:

Reminds me of the infamous doom port to the 3DO. The programmer behind it talks about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbIil2HPSU

Sounds like an absolutely nightmare project. Amazing she actually even managed to get it done.

Uproarious as it is in hindsight, it was a total clusterfuck and the worst of it could have been avoided if the CEO of Art Data Interactive had come clean with Becky and given her more info sooner. There’s a port called OptiDoom some lunatic was working on for a while with the aim of creating a properly optimized 3DO Doom, but I don’t know its current status.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've finished two hubs of Call of the Machine (Laser Eyes and the junkyard one) so far, this is a really impressive mapset. I have been playing these on Medium and they feel a bit easy, though the junkyard one was harder than the first hub--do they ascend in difficulty from left to right?

So far my favorite map was "McGee Station", it's cool to have a totally new theme because the Strogg architecture gets really uniform and repetitive after so many maps. A shame it's not an entire hub.

Also I didn't notice before that the hyperblaster defeats energy armor--so that's how you kill the Beta Gladiators at the end of The Reckoning. :aaa:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 16, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All this Q2 DM makes me wish Hrot had multiplayer. I think that church map with the graveyard would be perfect for 2-4 people.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dusk multiplayer is very good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I imagine the Hrot protag is just another smaskou, maybe a hazmat or machine gun guy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

verbal enema posted:

Dusk multiplayer is very good

Yeah I've played a few games it's fun. I don't think you can prematurely detonate the mortar though. Appalling. Also, nobody plays :(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah I've played a few games it's fun. I don't think you can prematurely detonate the mortar though. Appalling. Also, nobody plays :(

Gotta keep the dusk multiplayer discord tab open

Alotta people from Germany love dusk multiplayer

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just found "The Casali Effect" in the third hub of the new expansion. It sure lives up to the name, especially if you don't notice the medics quickly enough. The Strogg didn't even kill me once in the base game or the first two Machine hubs but this map killed me at least five times. :staredog:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Gotta keep the dusk multiplayer discord tab open

Alotta people from Germany love dusk multiplayer

They have to vent some stress from Farming Simulator '22

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They always play in intruder mode

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Have you seen East German farmlands? Dusk is a simulation!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Woolie Wool posted:

Just found "The Casali Effect" in the third hub of the new expansion. It sure lives up to the name, especially if you don't notice the medics quickly enough. The Strogg didn't even kill me once in the base game or the first two Machine hubs but this map killed me at least five times. :staredog:

That must be the only secret level I never found - assuming that each hub had one secret level, at least. Plus the final boss levle had two secrets I was never able to find, even noclipping around.

edit: Wait no, looking it up I found that one and just forgot the name. It's the "Operation Laser Eyes" one I never found. I did find the developer's easter egg though.

edit2: ah, it doesn't have one:

https://i.imgur.com/dG3P879.png

Laser Eyes maps start with mgu2

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 16, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never played HROT, but like.... does it look like a browner Dusk to anyone else? I don't mean that it loosely-resembles the game; watching gameplay of it, it feels like cut content from Dusk. I don't necessarily mean this as a complaint, mind you.

Is it any good? I haven't really paid much attention to it, though I know it's been out for a while.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played HROT, but like.... does it look like a browner Dusk to anyone else? I don't mean that it loosely-resembles the game; watching gameplay of it, it feels like cut content from Dusk. I don't necessarily mean this as a complaint, mind you.

Is it any good? I haven't really paid much attention to it, though I know it's been out for a while.

HROT is good, definitely one of the better ones released lately. I enjoyed the map design a lot, and it's got a good sense of humor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s great. Easily one of the best of the new wave of boomer shooters.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Woolie Wool posted:

That was the first secret level I found and holy cow. I was expecting the rest of the secret levels to be that difficulty and I'm not sure if I'm happy they were easier.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hrot wears it's Dusk and Quake influences proudly but it's definitely it's own thing, mostly in terms of atmosphere, enemy design and general all around god damned insanity.

I really wish it had multiplayer I know it'd be fun. I been playing so much Q2 yall it's unreal.

Well, it's quake but you know what I mean.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope call of the machine improves because the first level is kinda bad and the first bonus level is just a big killbox??? what is this machinegames

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

i hope call of the machine improves because the first level is kinda bad and the first bonus level is just a big killbox??? what is this machinegames

What counts as the first level in a hub that doesn't direct you to any specific level first?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

What counts as the first level in a hub that doesn't direct you to any specific level first?
operation corpse run. dumb level!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that’s not the first level

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that’s not the first level
idk what the first level is then, i just navigated around the hub until i pressed the first button/level i found

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The 7th Guest posted:

operation corpse run. dumb level!!!

drat I liked the one. I don't think Quake 2 will ever have slaughter maps, but at least this mission showed you can gib tons and tons of enemies all at once without getting network overflows like in the original engine. (yes, even in single player, in Quake 2 single player was a special case of multiplayer and followed all the same restrictions and I assume it's the case in the remaster but with better netcode)

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finished the new campaign in the ROTT remaster.

Generally solid levels, but a few of them definitely feel overcomplicated - as far as I could tell, these were the ones that contained developer balls. E3M1 reached the point where I had to switch the automap back to the classic version to keep track of which of the twenty-something switches I had or hadn't activated.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you have amazon prime, quake 4 is one of their free games right now

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

The 7th Guest posted:

Operation Corpse Run is the one that sends you to the world Megacorpse IV? Because if that's a bad level I don't know what your qualifications for a good level are. Anything that starts with giving you a BFG10k and like a hundred low-tier goons to splatter with it is good in my book!

Maybe try Operation Ruined Earth or Operation Darkest Depths? They're both visually interesting with some real cool poo poo going on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea I just don't really care for that kind of level in this game specifically, i want the mazes and the verticality. if it was Serious Sam i'd be into it I think, but that series has wider spaces for the large fights

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I personally like up-tempo, ultra-violent Q2 gameplay and wish there was more of it. Even that secret map wasn't that hard by modern boomer shooter late-game/secret level standards, only has a contrast to how easy the rest of the game is.

Would downloading a mod from :nexus: to bring back the red health crosses disable cheevos?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
ok, i tried doom eternal again but put my fov to 110 (last time i played with 90) and i think i understand now. it feels a bit like radiant silvergun as an fps

koren
Sep 7, 2003

corpse run is probably the best of the bunch, followed by laser eyes.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

BattleMaster posted:

That must be the only secret level I never found - assuming that each hub had one secret level, at least. Plus the final boss levle had two secrets I was never able to find, even noclipping around.

The end of hub screen will tell you if you missed a secret level by giving you a ??? in the map list, so if you didn't see that, you found em!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is there something off about the motion blur implementation in the Q1 remaster? After having played a load of the Q2 remaster, the motion blur implementation there is quite good, but when I go back to Quake 1 I gotta turn it off. It's not configured the same or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Motion blur always looks terrible