Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

kalleth posted:

such a positive work environment you need a mirror to make sure nobody's creepin on you

How do so many managers need to have the following explained to them: If you have the power to fire people, DO NOT JOKE ABOUT FIRING THEM. Jesus Christ the bar is so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I figured the Dankpods guy would be starting back up after his vacation about now, but deciding what to do about the Floatplane situation must be an awful lot to consider while severely jetlagged.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

He can just rebrand into uhhhhh MAC Binding

MAC Conflict

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Probably soonish, I know Dankpods mostly ended up there because youtube streaming sucks and Twitch automodding or something banned him over his drum stream IIRC and he couldn't get it overturned

Dankpods is just about due to return from a three week vacation, where at the start of it he told his viewers he was out of ideas for his Patreon After Show vids and wouldn’t be doing them anymore and was like, “I totally understand if you don’t want to donate there anymore, so if you want to support me then consider subscribing to my Floatplane.” I’m sure he’s going to be really happy about all this when he’s back.

E:f,b

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

How do so many managers need to have the following explained to them: If you have the power to fire people, DO NOT JOKE ABOUT FIRING THEM. Jesus Christ the bar is so low.

Remember when the pilot episode of The Office (US) aired in 2005 and it was extremely cringy and bad looking on Michael Scott when he tells Pam she's fired "as a joke." And 18 years later people still haven't learned.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm sure you guys are aware that they also have employees 'volunteer' to pose as models for all their clothes including underwear

I made the image small on purpose, but the thumbnails on the left are of regular employees. I always found this troublesome because even though they're volunteers there can obviously be pressure to be a team player. And it's not outside photographers doing the shots, it's the in house team. All this to save a few bucks by not hiring actual models.
FWIW, that’s Linus’ wife (and co-owner and head of HR). She’s the model for the women’s clothes except for sweatpants and 1 tshirt.

edit: v I was wrong, I only looked at the main product page thumbnails.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 16, 2023

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

FWIW, that’s Linus’ wife (and co-owner and head of HR). She’s the model for the women’s clothes except for sweatpants and 1 tshirt.

No, other employees (men and women) also model everything including underwear.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Underwear "merch"... I'm surprised he hasn't put up his grandma for sale on LTTSTORE DOT COM yet.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
And they might be delighted to do so, but just hire some models normally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just render it on 3d anime girls don't they know their fanbase AT ALL

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

I went to the ltt website to check this out cos i thought it was only yvonne -- when I saw the original announcement about underwear etc I actually wanted to make sure he wasn't asking his staff to "model" for him, and, uh......

I saw other staff members (e.g. Sarah) I recognise from videos modelling underwear on the site and now I feel very dirty for having looked.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Branch Nvidian posted:

Remember when the pilot episode of The Office (US) aired in 2005 and it was extremely cringy and bad looking on Michael Scott when he tells Pam she's fired "as a joke." And 18 years later people still haven't learned.

It's a twitter / elon musk joke, not a joke about firing people.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

They couldn't have just hired presentation models to photoshoot everything for a day, could they?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Titor posted:

They couldn't have just hired models to photoshoot everything for a day, could they?

Linus is the cheapest rich man in tech youtube.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Titor posted:

They couldn't have just hired models to photoshoot everything for a day, could they?
That would cost $100, $200, maybe $500?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

I know that's what the joke was referencing, but it still stands that if he was going to make a Musk/Twitter 2.0 hardcore joke he could have used one of the other things Musk said that didn't involve firing employees. Or just not made the joke at all since it wasn't particularly funny.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Titor posted:

They couldn't have just hired presentation models to photoshoot everything for a day, could they?

This is the man who had his own staff help him move house rather than hire actual movers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Three Olives posted:

This really bothered me at the time and people here said I was reading too much into it but given the context I am going to bring it up again.

Emily was pretty clear that she was not stepping back for personal reasons involving her transition, that she was stepping back to protect LTT. She said she had support and it was a personal decision, but to me there was clear subtext that while it may have been her decision, her decision was informed by the fact that being on camera as a trans woman would bring unwelcome attention to LTT and their audience would respond in a negative way.
I don't think anyone would dispute that a sizable chunk of their audience would react badly to Emily being Emily. And that there would be brigading, harassment, etc.

The question is more whether that step backwards was her own decisions, or if that decision was made for her. And I don't know. Straight white dude talking here, but if I were place myself in that situation then even if I had my boss' full, unequivocal support and backing, I would not want to have to deal with being public-facing presence on the Internet. So I can easily see that actually being her own decision.
Unless Emily comes forward with something, using her as a cudgel to bash Linus some more seems in poor taste.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Doesn't all of those print your own merch services provide automated photoshopping on a generic model? Why are they doing it on employees rather than putting the underwear on a mannequin and run stable diffusion or whatever the hell to fill the rest of the body?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Doesn't all of those print your own merch services provide automated photoshopping on a generic model? Why are they doing it on employees rather than putting the underwear on a mannequin and run stable diffusion or whatever the hell to fill the rest of the body?

LTT has a dedicated merch department and custom-buys their own blanks, does printing, etc. It's a lot more of a thing than just slapping a logo on a teefury option or whatever.

Doesn't excuse making the staff model, but they can't just tap into the redbubble options or whatever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can see an argument being made for having non-models model clothing so you can see what clothing looks like on "normal" people. With that being said, don't loving model underwear on your staff. gently caress Linus Media Group, I hope the good staff all jump ship to their own endeavors and form their own group where they aren't in such a toxic work environment.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

power crystals posted:

This is the man who had his own staff help him move house rather than hire actual movers.

And then made a whole big public deal out of how one of the guys scuffed the floor.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

put yourself in their shoes. they are probably not happy about having to sleep at their desk in the office. then their boss posts a photo *of them* that includes the joke that they will be fired if they sleep at their desk. it’s irrelevant that it’s an elon reference

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Branch Nvidian posted:

And then made a whole big public deal out of how one of the guys scuffed the floor.

Wasn't that from a channel superfun thing, not a part of the move? That whole channel is (was?) its own kind of weird but I thought that happened as an after the fact thing where they were just trying to gently caress with Linus and didn't pay attention to what they were doing, rather than a direct consequence of him being cheap about moving.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Randalor posted:

I can see an argument being made for having non-models model clothing so you can see what clothing looks like on "normal" people.
There are normal body-type models out there specifically for this purpose. But I guess there are no "Gamer Model" agencies, so they had to use the owners and staff instead.

mewse posted:

put yourself in their shoes. they are probably not happy about having to sleep at their desk in the office.
If you don't think this photo is staged, then I don't know what to tell you.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

power crystals posted:

Wasn't that from a channel superfun thing, not a part of the move? That whole channel is (was?) its own kind of weird but I thought that happened as an after the fact thing where they were just trying to gently caress with Linus and didn't pay attention to what they were doing, rather than a direct consequence of him being cheap about moving.

Maybe it was. Like all of that seemed to happen around the same time, so maybe I'm mixing them up or conflating them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mewse posted:

put yourself in their shoes. they are probably not happy about having to sleep at their desk in the office. then their boss posts a photo *of them* that includes the joke that they will be fired if they sleep at their desk. it’s irrelevant that it’s an elon reference
I think The Daily or someone did an interview with that employee. She was a true believer and even after getting fired, she still doesn’t blame Elon.

I wonder how much hero worship and Stockholm syndrome exists among the employees.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

power crystals posted:

What the gently caress

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I intensely despise the rich, holy gently caress :guillotine:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gamer models are too pale to photograph, every time I try to get them on camera the flash makes it look like I'm doing spirit photography

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
The rationale behind having their own people model was to promote trust in the product and the underwear was added later by popular demand. I'm not sure how on board the staff was, but on it's face I don't see the problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

Lmao are you serious.

My 2nd thought after “what the hell?” Was “what if someone breaks something, or worse gets injured while doing it??”

This is the kind of thing where if someone broke a foot or whatever and had to go on leave it would potentially be hell getting insurance companies to pony up, whereas if you just hire someone who is insured to do the thing you are hiring them to do it is not a concern.

This is why I don’t do any home maintenance that is risky like cleaning the roof I just hire someone who is insured, has knowledge and the proper safety equipment.

Linus is such a goddamn clown.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I think The Daily or someone did an interview with that employee. She was a true believer and even after getting fired, she still doesn’t blame Elon.

I wonder how much hero worship and Stockholm syndrome exists among the employees.

that lady who slept at the twitter office and was then let go has written a post mortem of the experience, which is actually pretty good. she was excited that elon was getting rid of the twitter bureaucracy that was impeding their ability to move on anything. she’s pretty clear eyed on his limitations now

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

RE: LMG staff being movers, it’s no surprise at all given how many of the LTT videos in the last year are “watch my employees install some ridiculous tech in my mansion!”, to the point where you start to wonder if he deducts his mortgage payment as a second studio lease.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Vic posted:

The rationale behind having their own people model was to promote trust in the product and the underwear was added later by popular demand. I'm not sure how on board the staff was, but on it's face I don't see the problem.

if my boss asked for volunteers to model underwear for the company I worked at I'd be skeezed the gently caress out

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Hamelekim posted:

Linus is the cheapest rich man in tech youtube.

I'm wondering, is LMG in serious debt or something? Did they end up overblowing their budget with the labs alongside other major stuff? The company could be having to cut corners and removing some quality controls as a result of the rapid expansion they underwent. Unless overseen by capable management, rapid expansion may trigger a downward death spiral for any company.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
lmao i forgot about this (caution: link to bad site): https://linustechtips.com/topic/1395054-madison-suop-aka-the-girl-behind-the-tweets-is-leaving-lmg/page/4/#comment-15191316

Linus Sebastian in 2022 after Madison originally left posted:

For obvious reasons, there won't be an official statement disclosing private details about my dealings with any of our current or former staff. You (and Reddit) can stop asking.

On a separate note, no NDA or other agreement can prevent a Canadian from reporting workplace mistreatment including (but not limited to) harassment, discrimination or unlawful termination. They can post it publicly, submit a statement to the authorities, or do both for good measure. As long as it was true it wouldn't be defamatory.

If I'm ever actually accused of a crime or other misdemeanor - including any violation of employment law - I'm sure you'll be able to read all about it on Dexerto. For now, it appears that we are in the clear.

https://www.dexerto.com/tech/ex-linus-tech-tips-employee-alleges-mistreatment-and-poor-conditions-2251613/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cenodoxus posted:

It’s no surprise at all given how many of the LTT videos in the last year are “watch my employees install some ridiculous tech in my mansion!”, to the point where you start to wonder if he deducts his mortgage payment as a second studio lease.

This is a great way to get the IRS to really turn the eye of sauron on you. This poo poo came up big time once everyone started trying to deduct home offices because of covid, and the tl;dr simplified version of it is that you need to have a space that is 100% only used for business and the deduction is proportional to the amount of the property you're using purely for business purposes. So a whole room that you close off and don't use for anything but business? Yeah. But if you stick your work desk in the corner of your living room and try to deduct your living room (or the whole house) you're going to have problems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^^ CRA, and unfortunately they are even worse funded than the IRS at this point especially when it comes to auditing high income earners

Cenodoxus posted:

RE: LMG staff being movers, it’s no surprise at all given how many of the LTT videos in the last year are “watch my employees install some ridiculous tech in my mansion!”, to the point where you start to wonder if he deducts his mortgage payment as a second studio lease.

He 100% claims some of his mortgage on his taxes I’m sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

priznat posted:

This is the kind of thing where if someone broke a foot or whatever and had to go on leave it would potentially be hell getting insurance companies to pony up, whereas if you just hire someone who is insured to do the thing you are hiring them to do it is not a concern.

They used the move for content so it would be covered by whatever insurance/workers comp they had, or at the very least the employee could sue them for a large some of money.