Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes. They can use the + abilities to gain loyalty. Also they don't gain the planeswalker rule that says they die if they have zero loyalty.

But a creature can still only activate loyalty abilities once per turn, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

snyprmag posted:

Yes.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

Wow, wizards really breaking the bank with the judge promos this year lol lmao.

Several judges I know have stated they’re not renewing now.

The stupidest part of this is that most people probably won't get the Island, because it's the bonus card for presenters and organizers.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

fadam posted:

Yeah, I can’t speak to whether or not it makes thematic sense for the return to Strixhaven to have a HP UB or not, but I would strongly recommend everyone save their energy and not get mad about stuff that only exists in your imagination.

Give me Acme Looniversity from Tiny Toons instead.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Khanstant posted:

Oh first I'm hearing of this SL deck. I don't know enough of Angels to get a read on this decklists. Angels were a back burner commander theme to me to try "eventually." How does this deck compare to a typical good angel commander deck?

It's a generally weak list that still has a good number of generally strong cards in it. It invests into a lifegain payoff package with very few ways to actually gain life, has a reanimator package without any mill, needs to swing to win but can't protect it's board, and doesn't do much overall until turn 5+. Even more damning, it's low on interaction and draw. That said, the average card quality is pretty high for a precon so it should steal games eventually just from being goodstuff value. I wouldn't recommend playing it out of the box for very long but to it's credit there are about three different ways to push the deck and they'd all work well without needing to break the bank.

Outside of how it plays, there's enough pricey big hitters inside that if you're looking to build an angel or angel-adjacent deck it's worth picking up just for the reprint value. There really aren't many misses for generically playable cards other than Invoke the Divine (which is thematic and all but a laughably terrible card). I think the secondary market price to purchase as singles would be $250-300.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

snyprmag posted:

I have a deck that combo fuses multiple planeswalkers onto one creature but you can still only use one even if you have multiple walkers "fused" because it's tied to the permanent in a way no other card type in magic works

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but loyalty abilities are once per permanent no matter what type that permanent is; it has nothing to do with whatever shenanigans you're doing to grant said permanent loyalty abilities from different sources.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

especially now that the strixhaven set in question is no longer 'fun times at wizard school' and instead is likely 'rebuilding after seeing most of the faculty and large chunks of the students horribly murdered' if it even still focuses on the school at all

Strixhaven 2: We Need To Talk About Rowan

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Scalding viper is kind of neat.

Intangible virtue reprint makes me want them to print a new token producer. Sadly I think anything that's good as a token producer in be tokens is better off in other decks

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kalel posted:

Strixhaven 2: We Need To Talk About Rowan

lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Strixhaven x Saved By The Bell alt art cards, with borders inspired by the SBTB title card

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Strong Sauce posted:

I assumed there was a difference between type and card. But not even sure how often that would actually apply since Grist is an edge case. If it doesn't matter then disregard. :tipshat:

Things are 'cards' when they're when they're not on the battlefield or the stack, that's all.

Also hot drat, that phyrexian unlife.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Things are 'cards' when they're when they're not on the battlefield or the stack, that's all.

Also hot drat, that phyrexian unlife.

Things are cards when they’re not tokens or spell copies actually. And sometimes like mutate when they’re compound permanents and stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Strixhaven x Saved By The Bell alt art cards, with borders inspired by the SBTB title card

Time for battle screech to shine again

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

snyprmag posted:

yeah, but its a pretty easy combo with metallic mimic for infinite insects and an entirely milled library

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah, but its a pretty easy combo with metallic mimic for infinite insects and an entirely milled library

You can also do some fucky poo poo with yawgmoth and strangleroot geist looping.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Strong Sauce posted:

Someone posted the Bonus card for the Angel SL Deck. It is Sigarda's Aid.

Awe poo poo. Now I just need a Phil phoglio secret lair colossus hammer and my life is complete

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Arivia posted:

Time for battle screech to shine again

:golfclap:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Huxley posted:

I'm going to curve so many T1 Ragavans into T2 Blood Moons in Historic Brawl.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm looking forward to Swamp -> Dark Ritual -> Necropotence, personally.

No free counterspells that won't kill you if used on t1 in hbrawl yet

Historic Brawl is a Historic Constructed format, Blood Moon and Necropotence are both pre-banned

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Historic Brawl is a Historic Constructed format, Blood Moon and Necropotence are both pre-banned

Phoneposting so I can’t/won’t pull up the tweet, but that is not correct. Wizards said explicitly they would be playable in hbrawl.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1691515168264523777?s=20

quote:

These cards will still be playable in Historic Brawl and WOE limited events, if they’re a part of the player’s card pool. There is one additional card that we will call out once it is previewed!

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Phoneposting so I can’t/won’t pull up the tweet, but that is not correct. Wizards said explicitly they would be playable in hbrawl.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1691515168264523777?s=20

Gracias - how weird they use that wording then

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1692191861778100406

lol @ the wording on this to make sure it doesn't do splinter twin stuff

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 17, 2023

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Awesome Bargain card (set symbol error is because it's an MTGGoldfish translation, not on the card as previewed in Chinese).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I know there's a long lead time in set development and stuff, but it's pretty funny to see a straight upgrade to the currently dominant deck in modern.

I guess technically you can remove the enchantment from the returned creature to make it smaller so there's a small risk, but it's hilarious that it pings you for 1 damage if you do

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I've been out of magic since New Phyrexia came out (2012?). Can anyone link me to a good lore youtube channel (With minimal editorializing) that can explain the last decade or so of magic story, up to where we are now?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HKR posted:

I've been out of magic since New Phyrexia came out (2012?). Can anyone link me to a good lore youtube channel (With minimal editorializing) that can explain the last decade or so of magic story, up to where we are now?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HKR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-D6a0BBQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iom9P6Ss9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cMGG5dwg38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYw7nn8mM8

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1692191861778100406

lol @ the wording on this to make sure it doesn't do splinter twin stuff

You could do the combi with Felidar Guardian right? It exiles the saga, it comes back in, copy the non-token cat repeat until you have X 1/4 cats. It'd be a t5 combo though unless you had a treasure token or something on t3 for the cat.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

GonSmithe posted:

Awesome Bargain card (set symbol error is because it's an MTGGoldfish translation, not on the card as previewed in Chinese).

I am so glad Yorion isn't in standard

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

jassi007 posted:

You could do the combi with Felidar Guardian right? It exiles the saga, it comes back in, copy the non-token cat repeat until you have X 1/4 cats. It'd be a t5 combo though unless you had a treasure token or something on t3 for the cat.

Won't the Felidar Guardian have the same name as the Felidar Guardian tokens?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

fadam posted:

Won't the Felidar Guardian have the same name as the Felidar Guardian tokens?

drat it, missed that clause. lol they did lock this thing down heh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

orangelex44 posted:

It's a generally weak list that still has a good number of generally strong cards in it. It invests into a lifegain payoff package with very few ways to actually gain life, has a reanimator package without any mill, needs to swing to win but can't protect it's board, and doesn't do much overall until turn 5+. Even more damning, it's low on interaction and draw. That said, the average card quality is pretty high for a precon so it should steal games eventually just from being goodstuff value. I wouldn't recommend playing it out of the box for very long but to it's credit there are about three different ways to push the deck and they'd all work well without needing to break the bank.

Outside of how it plays, there's enough pricey big hitters inside that if you're looking to build an angel or angel-adjacent deck it's worth picking up just for the reprint value. There really aren't many misses for generically playable cards other than Invoke the Divine (which is thematic and all but a laughably terrible card). I think the secondary market price to purchase as singles would be $250-300.

As an added bonus they included Karoo in the manabase maintaining their inability to keep lovely bounce lands out of the precons.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As an added bonus they included Karoo in the manabase maintaining their inability to keep lovely bounce lands out of the precons.

bounce lands are really good

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Couch Life posted:

bounce lands are really good

Source your quotes.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
For the first time in many years I bought some cards yesterday, a fat pack of LOTR. I didn't pull anything good but I found Reduce/Reuse from Amonkhet in a pack.

Is that normal? Seems out of place. Do cards from random sets just show up in boosters now?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

For the first time in many years I bought some cards yesterday, a fat pack of LOTR. I didn't pull anything good but I found Reduce/Reuse from Amonkhet in a pack.

Is that normal? Seems out of place. Do cards from random sets just show up in boosters now?

Yes, it's called "the List."

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/The_List

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
The List got added when they made the split between Draft and Set Boosters back in Zendikar Rising. Each pack has a 25% chance of having a random reprint from the List instead of the marketing card, which can include reflavored reprints of Universe Beyond cards but is usually just an old card they wanted to print more of.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I did not know that. Thank you both! I started up playing Onslaught block forward but dipped out after Ravnica. I'm resisting the urge to get back into it but failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jassi007 posted:

You need a Panharmonicon to double the Felidar trigger or a sac outlet to remove the token.