Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

^^^ CRA, and unfortunately they are even worse funded than the IRS at this point especially when it comes to auditing high income earners

He 100% claims some of his mortgage on his taxes I’m sure.

Given the large percentage of content that is “do dumb tech stuff to my house” that may even be a fair claim.

:rip: the next owner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EngineerJoe posted:

They used the move for content so it would be covered by whatever insurance/workers comp they had, or at the very least the employee could sue them for a large some of money.

Ah ok they would at least have some coverage there then, I was thinking he just dragged them out on a weekend.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

priznat posted:

Ah ok they would at least have some coverage there then, I was thinking he just dragged them out on a weekend.

Yeah he made a terrible tech meme house for his family to live in for content. I mean I was watching so mission accomplished I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Pull the gently caress up. Someone that is under psychological distress, burnout and other depressive states won't think straight, logically and coherently. You cannot dismiss someone going one step close to suicide to just have "the vapors" because soldiers did the same trick if faced with execution.

Xakura posted:

Nobody said working at LTT was like the trenches at somme, they were using it as an example of how terrible situations might make irrational actions like self harm rational.

When you jump in with "well actually, they wont get shot for deserting linus" that undermines her experiences and actions, and imply that she was irrational, and thus not reliable.

It wasn't a hot take, it was a poo poo take.
Well, I don't think I'm arguing my way out of this lol.

I don't mean to minimize or dismiss the abuse she experienced or her actions, but had a different interpretation of what likely drove it. I'll drop this topic.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Given the large percentage of content that is “do dumb tech stuff to my house” that may even be a fair claim.

:rip: the next owner

That house had been tinkered so much, the next owner will have to bulldoze it and redo it from scratch.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Vic posted:

Yeah he made a terrible tech meme house for his family to live in for content. I mean I was watching so mission accomplished I guess.

I always wondered what his family thought of how everything in that house like, half worked. Except the theater room. That was of course the most overbuilt thing on the entire property.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A fancy theater room is the one thing I can completely understand doing and is even relatively reasonable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My dream house would be a relatively small, tasteful house aboveground and a massive underground complex. Those are already big in places like London and the fancier parts of Toronto.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

Yeah, it's an extension of LTT being way closer to "Jackass or Viva La Bam, but computers" than a serious channel, and towards that end, it's a reminder that basically everyone in his life has to put up with that he's made his entire life into an ill-planned/half-baked content creation opportunity, including using his own surveillance footage in videos if that provides context/coverage/meme opportunities. If everything is lemons to make into lemonade, then everyone will feel the squeeze.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Titor posted:

I'm wondering, is LMG in serious debt or something? Did they end up overblowing their budget with the labs alongside other major stuff? The company could be having to cut corners and removing some quality controls as a result of the rapid expansion they underwent. Unless overseen by capable management, rapid expansion may trigger a downward death spiral for any company.

It seems like every other lab video they would say something like "this thing we bought for $$$$ didn't end up working, so we had to buy this other thing for $$$$$" so I could easily see that happening. Apparently they can't even fully use the building they bought for the Labs because the roof isn't strong enough for the A/C systems they need to install, so they're waiting on a contractor to reinforce it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Titor posted:

I'm wondering, is LMG in serious debt or something? Did they end up overblowing their budget with the labs alongside other major stuff? The company could be having to cut corners and removing some quality controls as a result of the rapid expansion they underwent. Unless overseen by capable management, rapid expansion may trigger a downward death spiral for any company.
I believe they said they paid $10m for the labs building with a down payment of $1m

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe they said they paid $10m for the labs building with a down payment of $1m

They bought a commercial space instead of leasing?

In langley????

why

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Josh Lyman posted:

was that the same one where the previous owner made off with the doorknobs and hand dryers or whatever insane situation that was?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Inept posted:

if my boss asked for volunteers to model underwear for the company I worked at I'd be skeezed the gently caress out

To play a little devil's advocate there's a lot of people don't even view being seen in their underwear as inherently sexual either since I've heard it described as more or less beach/swim wear so this might just come down to the individual's feelings rather than being objectively right/wrong to open modeling up for enthusiastic volunteers......But then again these are all tech bros running things so lmao gently caress that it's weird!!

I even wanted to go out on a limb and say that that both owners modeling in it themselves would prob make me feel more comfortable considering volunteering something like that myself but then I remember they only did that cause he's a cheap gently caress and the whole thing is prob more motivated by cheap gently caress than creepo

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
You all laugh but it's clearly just the beginning of aperture science irl

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kliras posted:

was that the same one where the previous owner made off with the doorknobs and hand dryers or whatever insane situation that was?

Most likely it was unoccupied for a week or two and the metal thieves got in

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

kliras posted:

Yes, because like everything else in life Linus tried to yolo his way through corporate contract law and got hilariously owned as a result.

e: ^^ he even said they learned later that they were supposed to specify they wanted things like the hand driers, so since they didn't they got ripped out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ultraklystron posted:

Yeah, it's an extension of LTT being way closer to "Jackass or Viva La Bam, but computers" than a serious channel, and towards that end, it's a reminder that basically everyone in his life has to put up with that he's made his entire life into an ill-planned/half-baked content creation opportunity, including using his own surveillance footage in videos if that provides context/coverage/meme opportunities. If everything is lemons to make into lemonade, then everyone will feel the squeeze.

lol never thought about it like that, but that Jackass/Viva La Bam comparison is loving apt. Why does he even have cameras pointed inside his house?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Taran and Brandon both dodged a bullet leaving LMG in the past year

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Wonder what interest rate that building mortgage is.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mr.Radar posted:

It seems like every other lab video they would say something like "this thing we bought for $$$$ didn't end up working, so we had to buy this other thing for $$$$$" so I could easily see that happening. Apparently they can't even fully use the building they bought for the Labs because the roof isn't strong enough for the A/C systems they need to install, so they're waiting on a contractor to reinforce it?

Yeah, they also had a whole video running through the myriad physical deficiencies of the labs building after the fact, and yes, that didn't even include their current problems with the roof only being built to keep a warehouse warm in the winter, not support a full heat pump system for AC and heating, IE: proper climate control. They clearly saw something that was near enough by and not obviously falling apart come up for sale, and given the FOMO nature of Vancouver real estate and the generally lax operating procedures at LMG, they didn't do anything close to due diligence for their use case.

Worth also noting they nearly moved the whole business from Surrey in the Lower Mainland to Kelowna in the Okanogan to save money, and the only reason they backed off on that was because they were already way too big not lose significant head count as they weren't in a position to pay for relocation for everyone. They clearly really considered it though, and Luke in particular seemed keen on the idea in WAN shows.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Vic posted:

Why does he even have cameras pointed inside his house?

It's not super uncommon for parents do this if they use babysitters, cleaners, etc anyone that has access to the house since the barrier for entry now is so low for surveillance

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wait wait wait wait.

Is this why Tyler McVicker hasn't been posting on YouTube for years? What the gently caress?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Wait wait wait wait.

Is this why Tyler McVicker hasn't been posting on YouTube for years? What the gently caress?

is he not?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

beep by grandpa posted:

To play a little devil's advocate there's a lot of people don't even view being seen in their underwear as inherently sexual either since I've heard it described as more or less beach/swim wear so this might just come down to the individual's feelings rather than being objectively right/wrong to open modeling up for enthusiastic volunteers......But then again these are all tech bros running things so lmao gently caress that it's weird!!

I even wanted to go out on a limb and say that that both owners modeling in it themselves would prob make me feel more comfortable considering volunteering something like that myself but then I remember they only did that cause he's a cheap gently caress and the whole thing is prob more motivated by cheap gently caress than creepo

It's like a 20:1 gender ratio so if you've got at least 5 dudes out of 80 willing to be photographed in their undies then every woman in the company needs to take their big girl pants off and be a team player.

Belan
May 7, 2007
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1691887470902653264

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is this the first we're hearing of an outside investigation or was that in the video?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
As per the link above:

Verge posted:

We reached out to Sebastian about these latest accusations, and he responded via email, saying:

I was in a state of shock reading through these allegations, plain and simple. They aren’t consistent with my recollections. They aren’t consistent with our internal processes. They aren’t consistent with our company values.

We pride ourselves on maintaining a safe and inclusive environment. In addition to our existing report systems (both anonymous and otherwise) we’ve proactively reached out internally today to encourage members of our team to report any workplace bullying or harassment they might be experiencing so we can take quick and decisive action.

Our HR team will be conducting a more thorough assessment of the allegations, and when we are ready, we will release a more complete statement. For now I would ask that we allow our team the time they need be as thorough as possible.

Linus Media Group CEO Terren Tong also responded via email, saying he was “shocked at the allegations and the company described” in Reeve’s posts. He went on to note that “as part of this process, beyond an internal review we will also be hiring an outside investigator to look into the allegations and will commit to publish the findings and implementing any corrective actions that may arise because of this.”

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

repiv posted:

is he not?

I'm so confused. Thank you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I'm so confused. Thank you.

maybe youtube just hasn't been notifying you of new uploads? for some reason youtube never notifies me about new uploads from decino, no matter how many of his videos i watch or what my settings are

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

lol never thought about it like that, but that Jackass/Viva La Bam comparison is loving apt. Why does he even have cameras pointed inside his house?

I mean, from a purely practical standpoint, if I get that if he's enough of a hopeless tech nerd that he can't help but go nuts with that stuff in his house, there's value in just shooting that process and leveraging his personal surveillance too as needed, if only because the various pitfalls of that process are as entertaining as they are informative. All of the nightmare issues with wireless smart devices in the Linus mansion are a great reminder that none of that crap is ready for prime time, there's huge right to repair issues with those devices too, and so on. There's also a lot of issues that only crop up once one has a bunch of that stuff in the same real world environment fighting each other. It's not unreasonable to make that into content if the goal is capturing the real world issues.

However, this also encourages doing way more than originally intended because it can be content, rather than only doing what was reasonable/inevitable and making a point to film that. The second the cameras are encouraging over-reach and guide why something happens, that's too far. This is basically how his floors got trashed. He wanted to reboot his prank channel, it's easy to make some of that content in his house because of the camera system, and then when it goes wrong, he doesn't get mad at himself for making his life content when there was no reason for that other than sensationalism/clicks, he gets upset with the employees he charged with that job.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Is this the first we're hearing of an outside investigation or was that in the video?

Yes that's new

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Titor posted:

I feel like I remember a WAN Show episode where Linus mentioned that he sometimes takes on debt to motivate himself to work harder.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Schir posted:

I feel like I remember a WAN Show episode where Linus mentioned that he sometimes takes on debt to motivate himself to work harder.

I do that with anxiety!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anyone have the LTT forum post where Linus describes his first experiences with women? Something like "smokey but pleasant"

Classic

Edit: Bless this thread

pzy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 16, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So is his HR team that's going to do the investigating.... His wife?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

slidebite posted:

So is his HR team that's going to do the investigating.... His wife?

What I saw said outside investigator.

Internal would be 100% on brand though.

My wife is a woman, why can't she lead it?! - Linus probably

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jeff Fatwood posted:

As per the link above:
I mean, what else would he say?

"Oh yeah, and it was hilarious, too, teehee."

All just PR bullshit.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ultraklystron posted:

I mean, from a purely practical standpoint, if I get that if he's enough of a hopeless tech nerd that he can't help but go nuts with that stuff in his house, there's value in just shooting that process and leveraging his personal surveillance too as needed, if only because the various pitfalls of that process are as entertaining as they are informative. All of the nightmare issues with wireless smart devices in the Linus mansion are a great reminder that none of that crap is ready for prime time, there's huge right to repair issues with those devices too, and so on. There's also a lot of issues that only crop up once one has a bunch of that stuff in the same real world environment fighting each other. It's not unreasonable to make that into content if the goal is capturing the real world issues.

However, this also encourages doing way more than originally intended because it can be content, rather than only doing what was reasonable/inevitable and making a point to film that. The second the cameras are encouraging over-reach and guide why something happens, that's too far. This is basically how his floors got trashed. He wanted to reboot his prank channel, it's easy to make some of that content in his house because of the camera system, and then when it goes wrong, he doesn't get mad at himself for making his life content when there was no reason for that other than sensationalism/clicks, he gets upset with the employees he charged with that job.

Yeah that's what I was getting at - even biggest tech nerds go through a thought process of whether the thing makes practical sense and how to go best about it. Him yoloing the stuff with the camera crew in there for content makes sense if he lived alone, not with three little children having to deal with that nonsense. And even if he believed all that stuff would just work, it requires an IT guy to deal with poo poo in his house now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

the video didn't address Madison at all.

also Linus defaulting to HR investigating... HR is his wife. what a fuckin blowhard

the actual CEO gave the typical CEO response, which in this case wasn't "my wifes gonna look into it" and was a lot better than what linus said.

Bondematt posted:

What I saw said outside investigator.

Internal would be 100% on brand though.

My wife is a woman, why can't she lead it?! - Linus probably

there's two statements in the Verge article. one from linus and one from the new CEO.