Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

run on sentience posted:

I didn't realize it had the Imgur uploader either. I was way too lazy to deal with uploading them somewhere else. Now I can participate in post pics of your pets derails!

Awful.app on iOS removed Imgur support a month ago because imgur is on its last legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

Awful.app on iOS removed Imgur support a month ago because imgur is on its last legs.

Is there a good alternative?

Imgur used to be really good and I guess I have no idea how they were paying for stuff, but it seems it's circling the drain.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Imgur used to be really good and I guess I have no idea how they were paying for stuff, but it seems it's circling the drain.

I use catbox.moe, simple and fast. I posted some iOS shortcuts abovethread for even easier use. It's just a post form so if there's an automation facility on android it should be easy to replicate. look at their api page.

I use it to generate in bbcode the summary and thumbnail of a news article (as you get when posting a tweet of it or embedding in discord/slack)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I use postimage https://postimages.org/ seems to work fine.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

aniviron posted:

I use postimage https://postimages.org/ seems to work fine.

Seconded.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Failson posted:

The cream filled donuts barely have any filling anymore.

A 6 pack is 12 loving dollars

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Canadian specific, but Loblaws aka Superstore used to make really good in-house sour cream glaze and chocolate glaze doughnuts, sold in plastic containers (as opposed to their other ones, which are not as good and in cardboard boxes).

They stopped selling them last year and replaced them with some shittier versions by a brand called “Donut Time”.

It sucks and I emailed them to complain but they would not accept it because I didn’t have an item number for the doughnuts they stopped selling.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Speaking as a doughnut maker doughnuts are are one of those things that just have to be made fresh on site, you can't just stick them in boxes and ship them overnight it's a travesty they will all be stale and flavorless by the time they arrive, I would measure the optimal time till consumption in minuets not hours.

One of the lovely things one of our mega grocery stores in Aus did after they killed off most of the local bakeries was to import partly baked bread from overseas put it in the oven to brown the crusts and then market it as fresh baked in store, they got caught out but only got a limp dicked slap on the wrist for it of course.
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/coles-to-pay-25m-for-misleading-baked-today-and-freshly-baked-in-store-bread-promotion

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bake-off is fine for supermarkets or small shops in small towns with no market for a proper baker, but hell no don't try sell it as "fresh baked", because it sure ain't.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

Is there an easy way to upload pictures directly from the awful ios app? Or have people been manually uploading pics to wherever and copying the url? this high friction has spared the forums from a lot of terrible posts in the past few months, and i need to change that

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Unfortunately there is no good alternative to something awful. We're stuck with it and it's stuck with us.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is there an easy way to upload pictures directly from the awful ios app? Or have people been manually uploading pics to wherever and copying the url? this high friction has spared the forums from a lot of terrible posts in the past few months, and i need to change that

This is the best I got on iOS

mawarannahr posted:

Here I made some iOS/macOS shortcuts for catbox.moe. one is for transloading URLs the other uploads
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ae6cf36bb5f746d1a9193a8a773d7688
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b45fe6fb631947cab519e05eab40d142

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Youtube shut down my home screen because I don't have history turned on. Haven't had it turned on since like 2012. Not even my subscriptions are showing up.

naem
May 29, 2011

image hosting websites as a concept might go away here before too long and then, what are forums anymore at that point

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

naem posted:

image hosting websites as a concept might go away here before too long and then, what are forums anymore at that point
you can just leech. if it's from an organization that has ever received public funding, like PPP loans, you paid for that with your tax dollars.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

naem posted:

A miserable pile of dead links.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

naem posted:

let down by absentee owners and coders who never thought to improve or replace an attachment system that has existed for decades, assuming some other chump would pay for hosting.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suspect A posted:

Youtube shut down my home screen because I don't have history turned on. Haven't had it turned on since like 2012. Not even my subscriptions are showing up.

They just did this to mine, so now my bookmark is the subscriptions page instead of the homepage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

teen witch posted:

I don’t think I ever had a pair of monthlies work for the entire month, three weeks in and they feel like cornflakes.

Thankfully with WFH I switched to dailies and using glasses. Far cheaper and a 30 pack lasts for loving ever

euphronius posted:

Yes

I just got glasses instead of dealing with terrible contacts

holefoods posted:

I was never able to get more than like 2 weeks out of those. Maybe I just have sensitive eyes or something.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I’m with you, but also we might just be getting older

I have an update on this gripe.

I went to a new eye doctor after a lovely experience at my old one trying to solve this issue. The new eye doctor said "No, I haven't heard those complaints, but I'm going to put you in Biofinity lenses." So far, I've gotten 3 weeks out of my second pair with no issues. They're a little spongier/more rubbery, maybe a little thicker around the rim. But very comfortable, easy to put in and take out, and they don't fold up into lovely little tacos when I pull them out at night and put them in the case.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
not really thread relevant but I am very jealous of those of you that can use contacts at all. my reflexive aversion to eye touching ended in it taking 20 minutes for the eye doctor lady to put in my one and only attempt at them.

45 minutes of burning eyes at home trying to put them on the next day I ended up ripping one of them, never to try again. :rip:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

This is the best I got on iOS

This is cool! Although the first shortcut uploaded a pic as an HEIC, which Windows 10 won't render unless you get something from the MS Store, which is blocked in any environment with sense.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Why do apps strip away so much of the basic functions from desktop websites? I often have to log on to a full desktop website to do basic poo poo like change my address.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Peggy Edson posted:

Why do apps strip away so much of the basic functions from desktop websites? I often have to log on to a full desktop website to do basic poo poo like change my address.

200% engagement!!!!!

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

not really thread relevant but I am very jealous of those of you that can use contacts at all. my reflexive aversion to eye touching ended in it taking 20 minutes for the eye doctor lady to put in my one and only attempt at them.

45 minutes of burning eyes at home trying to put them on the next day I ended up ripping one of them, never to try again. :rip:

Amen. My attempt at contacts ended up in just buying new glasses because my eyes didn't enjoy them at all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah man i sure to love being woken up from a nap/food coma by a mobile emergency alert test.

i love that my newer google phone has no option to mute but still receive it, but my ancient google phone does. amazing progress.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lol LinkedIn loving blows now. Half the job offers are crypto/other scams.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I posted a job on LinkedIn and I regretted it almost immediately. Constant emails like the service has emotional and co-dependency issues, from multiple lists I was opted-in to by default, and the UI to unsubscribe had little rhetorical tricks that still technically kept you subscribed to the messages.

No one applied, so rather than deal with their garbage I just blocked them forever and let my job ads expire.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

ah man i sure to love being woken up from a nap/food coma by a mobile emergency alert test.

i love that my newer google phone has no option to mute but still receive it, but my ancient google phone does. amazing progress.

Can't wait for the emergency alert feature to be used to serve ads. Check out this special offer that'll be a disaster if too many people take it!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

This AMBER alert brought to you by McDonalds! I'm lovin' it!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Biplane posted:

This AMBER alert brought to you by McDonalds! I'm lovin' it!

That would suck

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Violet_Sky posted:

:haibrower:

I get daily messages from randos saying "i am very impressed with your job history, would you be interested in franchise opportunities?"

What the gently caress does one have to do with the other, and why in the everloving gently caress would I be looking for franchise opportunities from LinkedIn.

Also I'd say that around 90% of the job opportunities on LinkedIn are bullshit. I've spoken with three different internal recruiters/hiring managers for companies about senior pre-sales positions, only to have them bait and switch to a tech position doing installation for 75% of the listed pay. Ofc they're still going to expect you to work with customers and support sales people, they're just desperately trying to overtalent positions because of :airquote: the market :airquote:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Yet it seems to be drat near required for job hunting. I saw a Workday application where your LinkedIn URL was a required field.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Recruiters and HR departments are the laziest fuckers in the market. Why read job applications when you can have a linkedin analysis bolt on screen them for you and narrow down further with a ctrl F for keywords. In this scenario you don't actually know what your company does but you're fairly sure it involves spreadsheets of some kind.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mawarannahr posted:

That would suck

Would you say it would be lovely for no reason?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EBay making their Global Shipping Program nearly required blows. A seller broke down for me what it looks like from his end and I told him what I would have to pay and it’s ridiculous. I really appreciate the sellers (always from the UK?) who offer $3 CAD shipping.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The screensaver on my roku has ads for mcdonalds and acura sneakily embedded into it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The service as a subscription model is killing everything, this happened with a company we were buying from for more environmentally friendly washing machine and dishwasher detergents. Why do I need to subscribe to your detergents, why?? Just sell me the detergent when I need more detergent goddamn

Perfect way to make money as a time traveler though, start subscription services. There was absolutely enough technology in the 1890's to start a subscription service for men's shirts, it's just no one was lovely enough to come up with the idea.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bossy lady posted:

The screensaver on my roku has ads for mcdonalds and acura sneakily embedded into it.

they used to have an excellent cat screen saver with updating photos. they got rid of it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They had fast enough lines of communication and banking facilities that you could have definitely started a subscription service for wine in 1400's Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Yahoo News seems really clickbaity these days. Also, it feels like that and some of the non-Yahoo recommended article things are repeating several of the same articles with different titles at the same time or repeating them several times over months and even years.

But, hey, it's probably driing engagement and making them some sort of money.