Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Content to Hover posted:

Lots more people eat rear end than feijoas.

both are excellent

vaguely interesting maybe some one
posted this in reddit about nz who knows someone might find it interesting

quote:

From an Eastern European point of view

From an Eastern European point of view( so not the creme du la creme of european society) I found a lot of things strange during my visit in NZ:

- nobody walks anywhere, and people look strange at you when they see you walking on the street.
- cars have no polution limits and huge engines
- windows ( they are verry thin and not tightly closed)
- buildings have verry thin walls and in general no heating system ( where I stayed majoroty of people used electric heaters)
- people don't know how to drive...motorway or highway they block all the the passing lanes
-you should learn to use waze..it will help you all
- you really stick to the speed limit and never get over it
- You people are verry friendly in general and it was a shock to be asked in shops or on the street how I was doing.
- you have so much sugar in all products...and healty food is so expensive compared to junk food
- I didn't expected your english to be so different to be honest...
- you encourage to buy alcohol in large quantities... I just want one beer...not 4 not 6 not 12...and your beer is quite strong( big like)
- The fact that cows eat grass near the ocean and have palms was the first thing that amazed me
- you have so much land yet you don't plow them to plant crops...
-Why do you have carpets in all the houses?
- I was shocked how fast and how much it rains
- your money are beautyfull
- almost no one smokes compared to Europe
- why meat is so cheap?
- why do you have OTC drugs in food stores...??

Landscapes are amazing ! You have a nice country but you should improve a lot of things:))

also as a health care professional my 2 cents : strengthen the community services card system. make it easier and more obvious to get one and maybe longer expiries. let us look them up on the internet (currently we have to make a phone call) and give people an app as well or something.

a lot of the concerns about inequitable practices due to race in the health care system could be alleviated by making the use of this rather than ethnicity. heck even make it easier for some ethnicities to get the card that’s still a better idea than what we have now when you’ve got individuals who need assistance but you have to turn them away because they aren’t the right ethnicity. it doesn’t feel good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

you cut four of them in half and eat them with a spoon

the skin is perfectly edible

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

echinopsis posted:

also as a health care professional my 2 cents : strengthen the community services card system. make it easier and more obvious to get one and maybe longer expiries. let us look them up on the internet (currently we have to make a phone call) and give people an app as well or something.

Take it away from MSD and give it to IR imo. MSD/WINZ are a pain in the rear end to deal with, don't know what they're doing (my wife was told to gently caress off and make an appointment online, despite the bit of paper we got sent in the mail telling her to justdrop in) and are surely off-putting for people who would otherwise be eligible to get one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

echinopsis posted:

strengthen the community services card system.

aka make it do literally anything worthwhile beyond getting you the odd concession rate here or there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at the moment it means people with it are eligible for the minor ailments scheme, which is exactly a great scheme to help people and reduce burden at emergency services etc

except I am growing increasingly disillusioned with using increased access for māori/pacific to reduce inequity, which on the surface looks good from the angle of trying reduce systemic inequity, but feels awful from the other angle where you turn individuals away because they’re not māori/pacific

for a long time I just accepted the reasoning given to me by the decision makers and even defended it but I just can’t anymore

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
You may be able to justify it to yourself by keeping in mind its designed as an tool (however blunt in practice) to combat internal bias. I am not 100% sure what you mean by "individuals who need assistance but you have to turn them away because they aren’t the right ethnicity" - but I presume there is limited resource to assist individuals, and the evaluation of who needs that assistance is subject to bias meaning certain ethnicities (the ones you identify as the "right ethinicity" māori/pacific) are being underserved by that resource while other ethnicities are being overserved. Triage is always coloured by bias.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would simply increase the resources available until there's enough for everyone but I'm also crazy and stupid

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The primary constraint.on the sort of HC work we are talking about is staff capacity, there simply aren't enough pharmacists, nurses doctors etc etc etc.

No you can't go back in time 20 years to train more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weird, you'd think if there's a shortage of nurses they would be able to command a premium on the employment market and get paid more as a result

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's only a shortage if you consider access to healthcare, which the market does not.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Saros posted:

The primary constraint.on the sort of HC work we are talking about is staff capacity, there simply aren't enough pharmacists, nurses doctors etc etc etc.

No you can't go back in time 20 years to train more.
Probably doesn't help that an industry with a ton of foreign workers couldn't get any new people for two years.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

You may be able to justify it to yourself by keeping in mind its designed as an tool (however blunt in practice) to combat internal bias. I am not 100% sure what you mean by "individuals who need assistance but you have to turn them away because they aren’t the right ethnicity" - but I presume there is limited resource to assist individuals, and the evaluation of who needs that assistance is subject to bias meaning certain ethnicities (the ones you identify as the "right ethinicity" māori/pacific) are being underserved by that resource while other ethnicities are being overserved. Triage is always coloured by bias.

As I understand it the purpose of this blunt tool is to try to counteract inequity in health outcomes by reducing or eliminating barriers of entry for certain demographics. an example is that the flu vaccine is free for anyone 65+ or maori/pacific if you’re 50+ (could be 55 can’t remember). in a broad sense, if it meant that more maori/pacific used the service, then hopefully can bring their health outcomes up to the rest of the country

and part of this approach is also to compensate for a lack of trust that has built up over the decades which tbf maori/pacific are reasonable to have

and at this level it seems like a fine approach and for sure there are benefits to doing this

the problems I have is, for example with the minor ailments scheme, someone comes to me because their family has scabies. if they’re maori/pacific I can just give this to them for free, but if they’re not (unless they have CSC or youngest is 14 or younger) I just can’t. doesn’t matter if they can’t afford it, just can’t do it. and I just can’t accept that this is an “ok” way to do it.

I mean doesn’t matter what I think, I just do the job best I can do within the confines of the system, but I’ve concluded I can no longer “agree” with the mentality behind this approach.

when you try to fix demographic inequities by targeting demographics you’re gonna end up leaving some people out to dry because idk statistically they shouldn’t need help? that’s a very cynical way to look at it I admit, but it feels like that

coalface healthcare sucks. well it’s good when you can help people but sometimes you can’t and it sucks and it’s worse if the reason you can’t help someone is because they’re the wrong demographic to access funding

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 16, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pro tip : if someone comes to me on the minor ailments scheme and tells me they’re maori/pacific it is NOT my job to police that and get anyone to prove it. even if they’re blonde hair blue eyes or the president of china, I can just take their word for it. at least that’s good

same as CSC, I don’t have to check for it, just believe them.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I guess it's a situation of in the olden days no one got it for free, and now some demographics get it for free, which I suppose is why you seem to be advocating that everyone get it for free and I can't argue with that.

I remember getting free medical stuff (heart disease screening?) just because I lived in a particular neighbourhood (Taita)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

echinopsis posted:

the problems I have is, for example with the minor ailments scheme, someone comes to me because their family has scabies. if they’re maori/pacific I can just give this to them for free, but if they’re not (unless they have CSC or youngest is 14 or younger) I just can’t. doesn’t matter if they can’t afford it, just can’t do it. and I just can’t accept that this is an “ok” way to do it.

Any targeted policy is going to have limits that some people fall on the wrong side of, there's no avoiding it.

echinopsis posted:

pro tip : if someone comes to me on the minor ailments scheme and tells me they’re maori/pacific it is NOT my job to police that and get anyone to prove it. even if they’re blonde hair blue eyes or the president of china, I can just take their word for it. at least that’s good

But if there's no policing, then here's your out. Just give them the service.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I see the business egg is prepared to feed children so long as it provides value for money.

You'd think making a statement like that would give a moments pause.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

such a nothing statement that means whatever the hearer wants it too. To me, of course it provides value for money - fed children is priceless, so any price is worth it. To some selfish fuckwit, it doesn't provide value for money because "academic performance" hasn't been shown to "increase" so the price of over $0 is not worth it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Every time I feed my child I run a projection of future financial gains vs the cost of the food, we do monthly performance reviews to make sure he stays on track

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"does it provide value for money" asks the party that promises to fund roads without a complete business case or CBA.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

echinopsis posted:

It's this, nobody is auditing it and even if they did there's literally no way to disprove anything.

The reason for M/Pi access to things at younger ages is because being M/Pi is literally as bad for your health as being fifteen years older. I worked extensively on this when deciding funding criteria for Covid treatments and the evidence is extremely conclusive.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 16, 2023

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
we've run the numbers and a system that provides people with food, clean water, waste management and shelter wouldn't be good value for money so we are herby running on a general policy of progressing towards human extinction

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Xik posted:

we've run the numbers and a system that provides people with food, clean water, waste management and shelter wouldn't be good value for money so we are herby running on a general policy of progressing towards human extinction

*Business confidence increases*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saros posted:

It's this, nobody is auditing it and even if they did there's literally no way to disprove anything.

The reason for M/Pi access to things at younger ages is because being M/Pi is literally as bad for your health as being fifteen years older. I worked extensively on this when deciding funding criteria for Covid treatments and the evidence is extremely conclusive.

Is this one of those statistically true things or is there a genetic factor?

Xik posted:

You deserve a promotion

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Xik posted:

i mean yeah that's it precisely

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Whatever genetic factors may exist would be totally insignificant when compared to socioeconomic ones.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

It's true across the entirety of health outcomes and the reasons behind it are myriad. There's an ocean of research and rationale but it boils down to just being immensely worse off in every measurable way.

As an example it's so bad a near majority of Māori men die before retirement age and the rest shortly after, barely drawing the super despite paying into it all their lives.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Discriminating based on race got us into this mess and by god discriminating based on race will get us out of it.

But unironicaly

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saros posted:

It's true across the entirety of health outcomes and the reasons behind it are myriad. There's an ocean of research and rationale but it boils down to just being immensely worse off in every measurable way.

As an example it's so bad a near majority of Māori men die before retirement age and the rest shortly after, barely drawing the super despite paying into it all their lives.

Christ

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Saros posted:

gently caress me when you spell it out that's hosed. I'm i reading it right if my take away is that 45ish percent of Maori men die before 65?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's in that ballpark, I don't remember the exact amount of the top of my head. Current life expectancy for Māori men is 72-73 and it's been increasing rapidly for the past decade at about 6 months per year, prior to that it was in the 60's so this is actually a massive improvement.

[E] got the years wrong, it's increased by about 5 years since 2003 so about 3 months per year with most of the gains in the past 8-10.

Saros fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 16, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Saros posted:

It's in that ballpark, I don't remember the exact amount of the top of my head. Current life expectancy for Māori men is 72-73 and it's been increasing rapidly for the past decade at about 6 months per year, prior to that it was in the 60's so this is actually a massive improvement.

[E] got the years wrong, it's increased by about 5 years since 2003 so about 3 months per year with most of the gains in the past 8-10.

Curious, I wonder what's driving the improvement. Could it possibly be related to a growth in health interventions targeted by race in recent years? I guess there's no way anyone could know that.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

In all honesty it's probably about 30-50% the reduction in smoking.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Lol here we go investigate this SIS https://www.fairnessinfocus.co.nz/

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Saros posted:

In all honesty it's probably about 30-50% the reduction in smoking.

No doubt connected to the smokefree campaign kicked off by the Māori Affairs Select Committee which includes a huge amount of effort targeting Maori directly.

Maybe this race based stuff does work???

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Indeed.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

klen dool posted:

Lol here we go investigate this SIS https://www.fairnessinfocus.co.nz/

it's going to be savage, #4 on Act's list is the pharma industry rep there to oversee Pharmac's knifing.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just say ethnicity. Race only exists as a sociological concept employed by racists.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
ethnicity is also socially constructed

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Just say ethnicity. Race only exists as a sociological concept employed by racists.

And bone marrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

99% sure that bone marrow is not a sociological construct employed by racists.