Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Eejit posted:

I would disagree. Backcountry hazards increase exponentially in the winter. And access to avy education is gatekept by expensive courses with limited availability. Finding a spot that YOU know is safe vs that people have told you is safe is a giant barrier to entry. I did not feel comfortable putting a toe outside the boundary until I met knowledgeable folks and only really feel comfortable determining low risk terrain is safe to ride after several years of experience as well as education.

Out here in the Elks it's doubly punishing because so much terrain is adjacent to very steep terrain. Like, aside from resort terrain, there are so so few safe places to uphill near Aspen. And if we get a sudden spike in danger, even previously safe areas can become dangerous.

I just feel it's disingenuous to say people can easily find safe places to skin in the Colorado Rockies.

Yeah, I don't think we're talking about the same thing? I'm not talking about low risk terrain. I'm talking about touring on sub-25º slopes that are not in or near a slide path. Stuff that — while technically not zero because it's not flat — has a vanishingly small likelihood of sliding. It's for cardio and being in the mountains.

I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a fair number of those options at least in the Front Range, Sawatch, Tenmile, and Gore ranges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*Just to be clear: I’m not advocating for novices to yeet themselves into the backcountry. Being an advanced resort skier, having general backcountry experience, and (ideally) having some level of avalanche awareness — for example having read Tremper's book — are table stakes for venturing into the backcountry in winter. (NB: I also consider the resort before opening and after close each day to be "backcountry"). And folks venturing into avalanche terrain should have additional training.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Yeah Aspen is on public land and has a $60 season/$10 day uphill pass. They "justify" it as maintaining the facilities, snowcats, etc.

I guarantee you it's an insurance thing, the $60/$10 passes can't possibly sell enough to make any material difference to Skico's bottom line. Let's say they sell 500-1000 of each per season which is probably way more than they actually sell, that's an extra 30-70k per season. That's what one person spends on Veuve at Cloud 9.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’d have to agree with Eejit. I feel like the only truly safe places to uphill for exercise in the North San Juan Murder Zone are the XC areas and groomed resort runs.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Eejit posted:

Maybe haha. And maybe this is my sales pitch to SkiCo next season!

There’s a non profit here in Maine that organizes free tours for anyone at a couple New England resorts. They do it once or twice a week, aimed at beginners but open to anyone for a casual weekend morning climb. They’ve done days for specific groups too, like women or people of color. Not the same as what you’re describing but they regularly seem to turn out dozens of people so maybe I’m underestimating the demand for something like this. No question that AT is intimidating to beginners for all kinds of reasons and there are people who want to try it or do more of it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

waffle enthusiast posted:

Yeah, I don't think we're talking about the same thing? I'm not talking about low risk terrain. I'm talking about touring on sub-25º slopes that are not in or near a slide path. Stuff that — while technically not zero because it's not flat — has a vanishingly small likelihood of sliding. It's for cardio and being in the mountains.

I'm not sure what to tell you. There's a fair number of those options at least in the Front Range, Sawatch, Tenmile, and Gore ranges. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*Just to be clear: I’m not advocating for novices to yeet themselves into the backcountry. Being an advanced resort skier, having general backcountry experience, and (ideally) having some level of avalanche awareness — for example having read Tremper's book — are table stakes for venturing into the backcountry in winter. (NB: I also consider the resort before opening and after close each day to be "backcountry"). And folks venturing into avalanche terrain should have additional training.

Yeah of course, I'm just saying in bounds uphilling has a place. I realized I came off a little aggro. And I do envy the zones you mentioned for the plethora of safe tours.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Eejit posted:

Yeah of course, I'm just saying in bounds uphilling has a place. I realized I came off a little aggro. And I do envy the zones you mentioned for the plethora of safe tours.

Totally agree. And I think if you live near a resort, it’s also tough to overstate the value of ease of access. I’m used to having to drive at least an hour for anything, in or out. So it’s easy for me to be like “pffft just wake up crazy early and drive really far to do this thing you have access to next door.”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I hate in bounds skinning. So I will do anything I can to avoid it.

I will agree that the front range and summit/Vail zones have a decent number of places with literally nothing to ever worry about. Other parts of the state, not as much.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

We have nice touring tracks that keep people skinning away from the pistes. I like em. It also means I'm totally happy to go out on my own or in the evening or whatever as the risk is pretty low.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Steve French posted:

Mammoth still has plenty of snow, y’all. This was Thursday.
Some of the pinch points are burning out, but it's fascinating to see the groomer tracks off piste where they're going to harvest snow.

Someone on the gondola was saying they were thinking of closing at the end of the month which I hope is not true!

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Skied my last day of the season on Saturday. Went up to the Indian Peaks and skied Queen's Way on Apache Peak. We got about 1900 vertical feet. Fun to make the turns but snow quality has deteriorated. Lots of dirt, runnels, sun cups, etc. Plus I haven't skied in a month or so, so making turns was quite tiring! Took a bit of work to get to the snow too - 3 miles of biking, 4 miles of hiking each way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

3 miles on the bike plus a 4 mile hike, that's a hell of an approach!

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

bawfuls posted:

3 miles on the bike plus a 4 mile hike, that's a hell of an approach!

Yeah the juice:squeeze ratio is not favorable currently. Rough to carry skis + boots past lakes that are quick skates earlier in the season and to miss out on all the approach skinning / deproach skiing pitches.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Having to carry boots on an approach really kills my range, probably a sign I’m just out of shape.

I forgot to post it a week back but we did the lazy way over 4th of July weekend with some e-bikes on the approach and I really liked how that worked out, will have to refine it and use more in future Sierra springs.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 17, 2023

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Just got invited to a Jackson Hole trip next year for 4-5 days. I was last there 8 years ago and haven’t skied since pre-covid. I was just looking into it, and it appears lift tickets are $215 a day now?? Last time I was there I think we paid about $100. Seems like it would almost be worth just getting an Ikon pass for $1200 and just really committing to booking a few days some other places over the year, or maybe getting the mountain collective for $600 and doing 2 days at Jackson, 2 days at Targhee and 2 days at Big Sky. Shits crazy now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

You have correctly deduced Alterra’s pass strategy. Things are priced that way in order to get you to reach that exact conclusion.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

bawfuls posted:

You have correctly deduced Alterra’s pass strategy. Things are priced that way in order to get you to reach that exact conclusion.
I'm not sure how much influence Alterra has at Jackson given it's privately owned. Their season pass is also like $500 more expensive than an Alterra pass as well.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I hate how everyone says "I've got an Ikon" nowadays like it's a status symbol. I hear it a lot in passing in LA, so of course I'm biased, but still.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

I'm not sure how much influence Alterra has at Jackson given it's privately owned. Their season pass is also like $500 more expensive than an Alterra pass as well.
Their affiliation with Jackson feeds into the Ikon/MC pass decision for visitors the same way though.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
This is off season in most of the world and since I tried and liked touring last season, I am considering getting a pair of boots for next season.
The problem is I have no idea how to size them.

I have a pair of boots from Salomon (S Pro Alpha 130) that fits well, can I get a pair of Salomon MTN summit pro in the same size and be allright ? do they account for the need for increased volume when building different shells ?
Or should I get a size up ?

When I tried touring, the rental guys said we should size a bit up but when going down i like my boots to be super snug.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is a bit preference but 90%+ of the time is going up. When you are striding your foot elongates and can cause your toes to hit the front of the boot which you really do not want. Think about walking in your snug boots with the buckles undone and how that feels. Personally I think sizing up usually makes sense. You really need to try on boots in person though.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Definitely do not want to be walking too much in the snug boots.
Might be better off buying a entry boots from a shop in season than poorly fit high end boots off season online yes.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah gently caress buying touring boots online. Even worse idea than buying downhill boots.

If you're touring, you already hate money so at least do it right and get some boots that really work for you with the support of a shop to help fit, mold, and punch the things into submission.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Since WHERE MY HAT IS AT asked about it in the mtb thread, Moment just released their 23/24 model lineup, and here's the Deathwish Tour 104

https://www.momentskis.com/collections/23-24/products/deathwish-104

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Wrong link, should be this: https://www.momentskis.com/collections/23-24/products/deathwish-tour-104.

Interesting that they dropped them early, those look amazing! 3.5kg for the 184cm is more than I was expecting but I'm definitely still going to buy them.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Lift tickets at Jackson Hole just went up for next year. $242 per day “on sale” at 5% off for the days my friend was thinking of going.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Wonder if the ticket price increases are at all related to the just announced sale of JH to two board members (and their families), one of who was a former CEO of Citigroup.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Snow was mushy in valle nevado today which is funny because I think when I hit mammoth last week it was nicer. The Andes are wild tho and I’ll take skiing over not skiing no matter the conditions. A+ would rec doing laps with endless bowls of raw fish to power your turns

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This Angry Snowboarder persona, how worthwhile is his advice/opinion? He seems to get flooded with boards from various manufacturers for testing, I guess for a reason. But given how he seems to have it out for a majority fraction of other snowboarder Youtubers, makes him come over like a try-hard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
He is not as bad as some reviewers like The Good Ride. But he is a former snowboard shop employee who is in his cranky aging rider stage. Take his reviews with a grain of salt like any others and appreciate that he doesn't get all that much time on each board and that he definitely has his biases.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Combat Pretzel posted:

This Angry Snowboarder persona, how worthwhile is his advice/opinion? He seems to get flooded with boards from various manufacturers for testing, I guess for a reason. But given how he seems to have it out for a majority fraction of other snowboarder Youtubers, makes him come over like a try-hard.

He is kind of whatever. I think most reviewers have an agenda in the snowboard world. I don't bother with any of them honestly.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’m signed up for the Blister Summit next winter; if anyone else is going or thinking about going let me know!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Personally I listen to him more than other snowboard reviews because he'll tell you if he hated a board or bindings and won't just hype something because a company sends him free stuff. I have no idea how good of a rider he is but when he gets on 100+ boards a year and takes the time to break the reviews down into many different categories it's been real helpful in figuring out what I want to ride.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pick stuff based off top sheet graphics, duh.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Moey posted:

The one true way

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Moey posted:

Can't afford the Mega Death, sadly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I pick brands based on what data-mining ads on instagram are giving away if you register all your information.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Big snow coming to valle nevado

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I bought some Burton Step Ons + Photon boots on a whim during the annual Burton sale a few weeks ago. I’m still within the 30 day return window - I’m leaning toward keeping them but does anyone have any positive or negative feedback to share on Step Ons and/or Photons?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Burton's Step-Ons are pretty polarizing. So you'll get opinions from both extremes.

They work for me (the Genesis w/ non-soft Photons). IMO they're a bit more direct than my previous Malavitas (which I however ran with Rulers).

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that Burton considers swapping the toe hooks black magic and therefore requires you to send the bindings in, instead of selling you spares. Altho I hear support has been coaxed into sending them out anyway to some people. That said, from all reports of them breaking, it seems if they survive the first day or two, they'll likely won't break at all (i.e. most causes being manufacturing defects).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Speaking of new fangled (snowboard) bindings, anyone use or have opinions on the Nidecker Supermatics? I need new boots & bindings and they seem pretty neat, plus I dont need to lock in to any sort of boot type to use.