Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

xzzy posted:

If one somehow is positive the cat drinks enough water, dry food is great.
The good news about this is that if you keep a water bowl in the bathroom, there's a good probability that every time you go in to pee, the cat will follow you in there and have a drink while you watch. Merlin runs to the dish, and Kali jumps in the bathtub to lap up water after someone has showered. Now we can't close the door when we go to the bathroom or one / both of them will have an absolute melt outside, even if we're in there for just a minute. I don't care much, but my partner used to be shy about that stuff and mandatory bathroom buddies was an adjustment for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A big part of that is it feels bad to have to have your whiskers pressed when you are trying to eat or drink yes?

Cherry-picking this part of your post just to share some info - I also came into this thread months ago believing that whisker stress was a concern and was trying to be super thoughtful picking out food dishes for our cats. Turns out there was a study done pretty recently that concluded this isn’t actually a real thing. :shrug: I got this from a Helpful Vancouver Vet video on YouTube, I’m assuming he’s considered a trustworthy source.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

That tuxie is currently perceiving the entire drat universe

Yeah she does that a lot. Usually I can't tell what she is looking at.

But she learned how to fetch yesterday!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

dorium posted:

Does anyone have any good rec's on bigger baskets? The little one (lol) really prefers a basket over anything else. her favorite one recently broke and this is the only one left in the apartment. Even a standalone one being held up by two pillars would be good. Just to give her more space.

Try searching for "pet hammock" instead of cat hammock - you'll get some that run bigger. Also there are DIY patterns for them if you can't find one that's robust enough!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Does anyone make flushable litter that's dust free? I've just tried yet another brand and been dismayed to see clouds of dust come out of the bag :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"flushable litter" sounds like as much of a real thing as "flushable wipes"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lowest dust litter I've ever used is pine pellets. Everything else that tries to maintain a clumping behavior seems to produce a lot of dust, probably because they rely on small particles to cement the piss bricks.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been using a tofu brand that's only sold at woolies and it's been absolutely fantastic. No downsides at all. Clumps, flushes, no dust. Does track a bit but I don't think it's possible not to.

ETA: this stuff!

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 19, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The litter that litter robot sells doesn't seem to have dust. I think it's wheat based. Doubt you can flush it though.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Does anyone have recs on automatic litterboxes? Preferably available in Europe, would love to hear experiences.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Litter Robot is the only one that works worth a drat. It's expensive because of that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Organza Quiz posted:

I've been using a tofu brand that's only sold at woolies and it's been absolutely fantastic. No downsides at all. Clumps, flushes, no dust. Does track a bit but I don't think it's possible not to.

I also use Tofu litter and can confirm it's the best litter i've used

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd love to use that if it was Litter Robot compatible, I can tell it isn't from the way it's little formed sticks.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

"Better" is relative. Dry and wet food contain the same nutrition. Your cat will do fine on either or both. Wet food is probably tastier and easier to eat, but it spoils. You have to keep opened cans refrigerated and throw away uneaten food after a few hours.

I use the single serving pouches which avoids them spoiling (he's a big cat, a full pouch is a meal for him) but he also has dry and water down.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

"flushable litter" sounds like as much of a real thing as "flushable wipes"

I thought about that. Only "flushable" wipes don't disintegrate in water, whereas lumps of cat litter do.

Organza Quiz posted:

Nice! Thanks.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I have two male cats, both neutered. They usually get along really well. I had to take one to the vet to take some teeth out because of plaque bulidup. The cat that stayed home keeps hissing at him if he comes close. I guess it's a scent/hormone thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and is he going to remember him eventually or has their relationship like been reset?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

effika posted:

Try searching for "pet hammock" instead of cat hammock - you'll get some that run bigger. Also there are DIY patterns for them if you can't find one that's robust enough!

oooh yeah gunna have to look into this. thanks.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

hey mom its 420 posted:

I have two male cats, both neutered. They usually get along really well. I had to take one to the vet to take some teeth out because of plaque bulidup. The cat that stayed home keeps hissing at him if he comes close. I guess it's a scent/hormone thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and is he going to remember him eventually or has their relationship like been reset?

It's a scent thing. Other posters can share how long it took for theirs to get back to normal but mine aren't close enough to care much about each other.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

hey mom its 420 posted:

Should go away in a few days. They smell weird/different compared to normal.

For my team, the returning member gets a bunch of inspection when they are back in the house and tend to be grumpy about it and want to be left alone. Hissing etc for like maybe an hour or two. For the few larger stints at the vet, maybe 2 days? But they get back to normal quickly.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

hey mom its 420 posted:

One of my cats had to spend a few days in the hospital and when he came back his typically sweet, saintly brother hissed at him nonstop. It made me really sad because he had just gone to hell and back, only to get cussed out when he made it home lol. I think it took two or three days. Maybe you could rub him down with a blanket that reeks of home but they should be over it soon either way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just moved into a new place with a bunch of nice ceiling fans only to discover my cat is loving terrified of ceiling fans. Silver lining is that she’s so scared of our new bedroom we get to sleep in a bit

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

morestuff posted:

Just moved into a new place with a bunch of nice ceiling fans only to discover my cat is loving terrified of ceiling fans. Silver lining is that she’s so scared of our new bedroom we get to sleep in a bit

Pepper was terrified of ceiling fans for half a summer and then got used to it and was fine. I think it just triggers their oh no an aerial predator instincts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

morestuff posted:

Is she a Korean rescue cat? :v:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have a cat door installed in an interior door so the litter box is kind of hidden away. Our 60-pound German Shepherd mix has recently discovered that she can fit through the door (I didn't think it was [i]that[i/] big) and get to the yummy "treats" in the litter. Short of replacing the entire door so we can install a smaller cat door, what can we do to prevent her from going in that won't also freak the cats out?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

hooah posted:

We have a cat door installed in an interior door so the litter box is kind of hidden away. Our 60-pound German Shepherd mix has recently discovered that she can fit through the door (I didn't think it was [i]that[i/] big) and get to the yummy "treats" in the litter. Short of replacing the entire door so we can install a smaller cat door, what can we do to prevent her from going in that won't also freak the cats out?

Microchip cat flap? Not sure that'll be less expensive than replacing the door tho :v: but there might be a decently-priced option.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

If the flap part isn’t really needed, you could remove it and screw a wood bar across part of the door to exclude the dog.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think I'll try to cut some cardboard or something and glue it into the opening. I don't want to (further) ruin the door if I can avoid it, and one of our cats has never gotten the hang of flaps. Dunno about the two newer guys.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Need an opinion on something. My poor cat had to get surgery a week ago - he had a bunch of gas in his stomach appear. Vet thought it was a perforation but they couldn't find any damage in surgery. He's recovering but almost certainly has IBD (he got a biopsy a day before he got surgery, still waiting for results). That said, he's recovering and can hopefully get his stitches out Tuesday, but we are leaving for our honeymoon Thursday and will be gone for 2 weeks.

Given his health, should I board him or have people come to the house to watch him? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find someone who can be here 24/7, but rather people who can come by for a day. If I had him boarded the people can give any meds he needs, but I know boarding is stressful for a cat too. He did alright in his recovery at the vet. But I worry if he has an incident while we are out, someone won't be around to help him.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'd ask the vet if there is anything special that needs to be done, if they sign off on at-home recovery with largely the normal levels of care you'd give a cat then you can safely leave him at home. But if there's any chance that post surgical complications can arise then unless the cat will not tolerate being boarded you should do that instead.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kw0134 posted:

I'd ask the vet if there is anything special that needs to be done, if they sign off on at-home recovery with largely the normal levels of care you'd give a cat then you can safely leave him at home. But if there's any chance that post surgical complications can arise then unless the cat will not tolerate being boarded you should do that instead.

Yeah my biggest concern is if he needs meds multiple times a day then it becomes tough for people to give it to him.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Found out my dumb poo poo cat has been chewing on cardboard and fibre optic cables. Is there some sort of chili spray or paste I could buy to make sure the cables don't taste nice?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bitter apple spray is the option easily found on Amazon.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
one of my cats (the horrible gremlin plastic eater) loves the taste of bitter apple spray, what do I do

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My cat does not like it when I try to clip her nails but she loves our new game where I try to hold her in my lap and she escapes by wriggling vigorously. Any good ideas? I’ve tried towel but she escapes those too and I can’t get a second person to help since she is afraid of anyone who isn’t me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Obfuscation posted:

My cat does not like it when I try to clip her nails but she loves our new game where I try to hold her in my lap and she escapes by wriggling vigorously. Any good ideas? I’ve tried towel but she escapes those too and I can’t get a second person to help since she is afraid of anyone who isn’t me.

Elastic hair ties worked for one of the cats I had growing up, using them like more durable rubber bands to basically hog tie his legs together to make escape difficult.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

an iksar marauder posted:

one of my cats (the horrible gremlin plastic eater) loves the taste of bitter apple spray, what do I do

How much money do you have?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

an iksar marauder posted:

Ours does too! We had to remove any physical access to things she eats. Wires are along the ceiling, charger cables put up, plastic conduit runs for wires we can't get in a different location, etc.

We got tired of the soft (& short) plastic film Christmas tree needles being a hassle last year so we even got a new metal wrought-iron-look tree. She still tried to eat it, just in case.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Obfuscation posted:

Do you actually need to clip her nails? Are they causing her problems?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Obfuscation posted:

Try trapping her body between your legs as you kneel on the ground. Firm but gentle pressure helps keep them in place.

Wait till she's a straight loaf then just kneel above her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Organza Quiz posted:

Do you actually need to clip her nails? Are they causing her problems?

Yeah it hurts when she walks on me and she does that a lot.

I managed to clip most of one paw by being a bit more forceful and insistent. I guess the biggest problem is that I’m just not good at handling cats since these are the only cats I’ve ever had and they don’t like being handled.