Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
one: probably good idea to leave the prints out in the sun for a day or two
two: should probably wash the models as well
three: use CA glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Geisladisk posted:

Poly cement works by melting together plastic and doesn't work on anything except the very specific plastic it is designed for. I dunno what gorilla glue is, but superglue is the way to go for gluing 3d printed stuff, yeah.

I've never had any issues with primer not sticking to 3d printed models. Have they been cleaned and cured properly? Does the model have a glossy sheen and is slightly sticky to the touch? If so, the seller didn't do their job properly. Stick the model in some alcohol and then leave it by a open window on a sunny day for half a hour and it should be good.

Yeah it has a very noticable sheen to it and is very hard and white, compared to the other 3d printed stuff I got in that kind of slightly translucent blue/grey. I'll give it a rinse and try dig out some superglue in the house

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

*ignore this*

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Gorilla glue is basically a polyurethane glue that expands as it dries, so you definitely wouldn't want to use it on something small with details like a mini.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Gorilla glue is basically a polyurethane glue that expands as it dries, so you definitely wouldn't want to use it on something small with details like a mini.
Yeah I'm sure that Gorilla Glue, the company, now makes a regular CA glue under their own branding - but their original success as a company comes from their "Gorilla Glue" that has some sort of expanders and what not in the glue, none if which you want for miniature assembly. Because of this you might get someone saying "oh I use gorilla glue and it's fine" but they are actually using CA glue by the GG company.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

tangy yet delightful posted:

"oh I use gorilla glue and it's fine" but they are actually using CA glue by the GG company.

Right, I use their CA glue because it was a good price on Amazon, but it's not that really think junk.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I'm sure that Gorilla Glue, the company, now makes a regular CA glue under their own branding - but their original success as a company comes from their "Gorilla Glue" that has some sort of expanders and what not in the glue, none if which you want for miniature assembly. Because of this you might get someone saying "oh I use gorilla glue and it's fine" but they are actually using CA glue by the GG company.

Ironically, I've used their gel super glue and I don't like it :v:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

It's the world's second-favorite monkey-tailed protagonist, Zidane!

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 16, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

i definitely remember how to spell polyurethane rather than looking like an idiot. anyhow acrylic polyurethane and water-based polyurethane are basically synonyms and yes what vallejo is selling is more likely what you'd use on an indoor floor than a deck.

POINT BEING: vallejo premium color, their entire polyurethane line, is massive overkill for 28mm models. most of the advantages of polyurethane are not material to wargame models, which mainly need to be protected from soft friction wear, because any sort of real wear or shock will break or destroy them anyway. so, buying PU paint for models, you're paying money for little benefit. stick to acrylic varnish/medium unless it's for dual-use.

It's a shame Warmahordes is no longer being made in metal, and probably soon not to be made at all since 250g metal minis with pointy bits everywhere would probably benefit from some extra strong paint.

You can also argue extra tough paint would be good for Gundam action figures model kits to let you handle them without all the paint chipping off.

Winklebottom posted:

That is an insanely smooth Zidane with the most psychotic eyes ever.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

That is an insanely smooth Zidane with the most psychotic eyes ever.

He turned out a bit more Chucky-like than I anticipated :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They were wip, now they're not

wip wednesday

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Winklebottom posted:

Oooh that flesh shading is so nice.

Also yeah lemme tell ya chipping expanded gorilla glue off a mini isn't difficult but it's not fun either.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Winklebottom posted:

Very nice smooth blends! The skin almost looks transparent, and I mean that in a good way!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Basing question for you all, how do you get bigger cracks with crackle paint? I have some Golden Crackle paste I picked up, but even throwing it on pretty thick it’s giving me relatively small cracks. I’ve had similar experiences with Agrellan Badlands and Stirland Mud, which each can be used to build up a muddy or lumpy dirt dirt texture, but I want like huge crags between dried out dirt type texture. I threw down a few layers of gloss varnish before the crackle paste and it didn’t seem to help much.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Finally got my hobby desk set up and I am once again on my Weird Lil Guy bullshit

I am also once more asking if anyone has some Sicarian Ruststalker heads that they want to sell/trade, they're increasingly hard to get online and I don't want to have to buy another box just for the heads.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Basing question for you all, how do you get bigger cracks with crackle paint? I have some Golden Crackle paste I picked up, but even throwing it on pretty thick it’s giving me relatively small cracks. I’ve had similar experiences with Agrellan Badlands and Stirland Mud, which each can be used to build up a muddy or lumpy dirt dirt texture, but I want like huge crags between dried out dirt type texture. I threw down a few layers of gloss varnish before the crackle paste and it didn’t seem to help much.
using a hairdryer to make it dry faster can help with getting bigger cracks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's funny because when I use crackle paint and hit it with the hair dryer I get smaller and finer cracks then if I just let it dry normally. I've tested this multiple times too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

It's funny because when I use crackle paint and hit it with the hair dryer I get smaller and finer cracks then if I just let it dry normally. I've tested this multiple times too.
i was using some citadel texture paint so the behaviour may be different! op take my advice with a pinch of salt

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I saw this on my feed, thought it was rad AF.

From this artist https://twitter.com/CerberusXt/status/1692119860183020008?s=20

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Majkol posted:

Cerberus is a great hobbyist. Really willing to put their head in the fire pissing off a lot of chuds in various groups whenever I've seen them pop up on twitter or facebook

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Majkol posted:

I don't recognise the flag about the trans one, but that whole middle column goes hard

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The one above the Trans one is the Non-Binary flag

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Before painting my last Leman Russ, I decided to convert it into a tank commander. I've been holding back on starting the project since I knew I had to scratchbuild the turret to match my other LR. It took a while to hand fit the pieces, just like last time. The finished result is pretty decent though, and surprisingly sturdy too.

While on a conversion spree I also decided to "fix" the new IG Ordnance Battery. I don't like how the gunner sits behind the gun, since he's too low to aim it using iron sights anyway. I moved the gunnery controls to the right side, giving the loaders more room to work. After magnetising the gun options I realised the ridiculous rocket pods wouldn't fit on anymore, so I had to build new mounts for the launchers. I ended up being pretty happy with them too.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Majkol posted:

goddamn the enby flag makes for a killer power armor color scheme, ace isn't bad either

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Decorus posted:

While on a conversion spree I also decided to "fix" the new IG Ordnance Battery. I don't like how the gunner sits behind the gun, since he's too low to aim it using iron sights anyway. I moved the gunnery controls to the right side, giving the loaders more room to work. After magnetising the gun options I realised the ridiculous rocket pods wouldn't fit on anymore, so I had to build new mounts for the launchers. I ended up being pretty happy with them too.

just to nerd out a little bit, indirect fire weapons arent aiming directly at their target. theyre aiming at either a set of aiming posts or a collimator off to the side, preferably at a 45 degree angle to the front on the side of the sight. the guns are facing a certain direction, and are in specific spots, as determined by the recce party. the command post is told where the bullets/rockets need to go by the forward observer, they do some quick math, then tell the gun crews the elevation and bearing the gun needs to be set at and how much propellant to use. the sights on ever 105mm howitzer ive fired has had the sight, elevation handle, and traverse handle are in a position where sitting on the trail is necessary.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

My Spirit Otter posted:

just to nerd out a little bit, indirect fire weapons arent aiming directly at their target. theyre aiming at either a set of aiming posts or a collimator off to the side, preferably at a 45 degree angle to the front on the side of the sight. the guns are facing a certain direction, and are in specific spots, as determined by the recce party. the command post is told where the bullets/rockets need to go by the forward observer, they do some quick math, then tell the gun crews the elevation and bearing the gun needs to be set at and how much propellant to use. the sights on ever 105mm howitzer ive fired has had the sight, elevation handle, and traverse handle are in a position where sitting on the trail is necessary.

Thanks, I have to admit I don't know anything about modern guns. I looked at some ww1 and ww2 vintage reference pictures, didn't see any guns with the gunner sitting behind the barrel. I figured these guns are supposed to be lighter than 105 mm stuff, more in the 75 mm range. Like you said, the M101 howitzer is almost exclusively an indirect attack weapon, barring extraordinary emergencies.

I was mostly going for a more ww2 AT gun look, since the gunner has to be in position for both the bombast cannon and the heavy lascannon. I'm pretty sure the latter is an extremely direct fire weapon. :) I thought about deleting the gunners seat entirely for maximum "realism" for 2/3 of the weapons, but the huge base looks pretty barren with only two crew. I'll still have to take off the gunner when I play them as rocket artillery.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Today is Goblin Day

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Decorus posted:

Thanks, I have to admit I don't know anything about modern guns. I looked at some ww1 and ww2 vintage reference pictures, didn't see any guns with the gunner sitting behind the barrel. I figured these guns are supposed to be lighter than 105 mm stuff, more in the 75 mm range. Like you said, the M101 howitzer is almost exclusively an indirect attack weapon, barring extraordinary emergencies.

I was mostly going for a more ww2 AT gun look, since the gunner has to be in position for both the bombast cannon and the heavy lascannon. I'm pretty sure the latter is an extremely direct fire weapon. :) I thought about deleting the gunners seat entirely for maximum "realism" for 2/3 of the weapons, but the huge base looks pretty barren with only two crew. I'll still have to take off the gunner when I play them as rocket artillery.

I'm converting my bombast to look more like a ww1 field gun. I agree that the feel of them in game is much more like an infantry gun than proper artillery. I'm removing the computer and seat for sure, making a new gunshield, and printing larger wheels that aren't the more modern rubberized wheels.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Today is Goblin Day

These are great.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Ravus Ursus posted:

Strapping the paint bottle to an oscillating saw isn't stupid!

It's only unsafe.

This is a bad idea because despite whatever nonsense duct tape solution you've dreamed up, if the saw blade manages to catch the bottle in the wrong way, suddenly you've got a vial of torn open paint oscillating at high velocity. It's also probably yellow, because that's the kind of paint that needs to be shaken well.

I uh... heard it happened to a friend.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i just bought a bunch of glass shot and shake the bottles, idk why you'd make it more complicated

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestion on what color cockpit jeweling would go well with a turquoise/light blue color scheme? I went with blue on my camo mechs, but don't think it would stand out enough on a primarily blue scheme.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Saint Celestine posted:

Any suggestion on what color cockpit jeweling would go well with a turquoise/light blue color scheme? I went with blue on my camo mechs, but don't think it would stand out enough on a primarily blue scheme.

Yellow is a good with blues and greens.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

Flaming orange.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
painted a plaster aquarium rock

i also made this terrace with cork board. but it warped. so i glued it down to some plasticard. meh

sci fi doohickies!

trains...WITH GUNS

passenger car

VW-esque hover bus

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

These are all awesome, but as a Bay Area resident my favorite has to be the tiny BART train:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That VW Hoverbus is giving me terrible ideas. Like finding a VW van kit in the right scale for Warhammer and turning it into an Ork Trukk.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eej posted:

That VW Hoverbus is giving me terrible ideas. Like finding a VW van kit in the right scale for Warhammer and turning it into an Ork Trukk.

i have an extra VW hoverbus if someone wants to do this for epic

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The best complement I can give you Nebalebadingdong is that I can tell the minis are painted by you without even looking at the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Saint Celestine posted:

Ochre!!