Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i finally got enough energy to read that thread (well, with a lot of skimming the op's posts) and uh. well then.

some phrases that stood out to me were "romanticized the idea of being a nomad IT warrior" and "as a single guy in my 40s I'd feel permanently awkward driving [a minivan]" and "I may be technically homeless in September when my lease is up and I refuse to renew, but that will be a choice"

i can't believe how many times he keeps going back to the same suspension shop that he thinks is loving him over because this time is the time they'll finally make it drive like he thinks it should

the guy wants to live an imaginary life while working a job that doesn't exist and he seems desperately convinced that getting the truck sorted out will finally make it happen but he won't even buy a car that's objectively better for what he says he wants because it doesn't fit his image. boy. woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

"as a single guy in my 40s I'd feel permanently awkward driving [a minivan]"

Is it awkward to be a single guy in my 40s driving a station wagon? Asking for me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Depends. Do you feel awkward as a guy in your 40s driving a station wagon? If no, then no.
And I want my Astro van back, actually. That thing was handy. Definitely entertaining the idea of finding an AWD one and ghetto turbocharging it. What would GMC have called an Astro done up like a Syclone/Typhoon?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

What would GMC have called an Astro done up like a Syclone/Typhoon?

"Galaxy" would combine the stars + spirals motifs of both parts but Ford has that name locked up already.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Depends. Do you feel awkward as a guy in your 40s driving a station wagon?

I mean, it's a little awkward that it's an automatic and I don't get to shift my own gears.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CMD598 posted:

I do not understand how you can go through like a half dozen different suspension systems, on something as common as a Tacoma, including high end systems, and not find... some kind of improvement.

Munchhasen by proxy?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

That was my take. He believed that it was the truck riding on the bump stops, so kept cranking the suspension up into "it's a solid steel bar, now." Like, no. Stiffening the suspension isn't going to improve the "ride" bro.

Yeah this was my favorite bit - “I’ve added so much weight to the truck it’s now over gross weight just sitting still and it’s hitting the bump stops and riding like poo poo. Better get springs that are so stiff they can’t ever touch the bumps!” “I don’t know why it rides so harsh!!”

Followed by “it’s still riding like poo poo, the springs must be too soft. Guess I’d better get stiffer ones, that’ll surely help!” Ad nauseum.

I do feel for him, but talk about having the blinders fully on. It’s a truck, they only ever ride acceptably when they’ve got a little weight in them to calm the stock setup down. This clown managed to get it to a 6700lb curb weight and is surprised it rides weird with a short wheelbase and really really stiff springs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
He said he wasn’t interested in any actual off-roading but had at one point installed 800lbs of ‘armour’ for some reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uthor posted:

Is it awkward to be a single guy in my 40s driving a station wagon? Asking for me.

I'm 40 and drive a Volvo V60. I don't feel awkward at all but I haven't exactly asked around if others agree.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Station Wagons are not age restricted

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I made what I thought was a perfectly reasonable suggestion to just go with the trd lift available from Toyota/dealers as it's a decent kit, comes with a warranty from Toyota after he said something along the lines of "I don't want to do anything too crazy off road with this thing".

I'm tempted to look for the thread on Tacoma world and see what they say but eh, :effort:

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 17, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

wrong children cannot drive station wagons

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I could write a thesis off of the thread.

I'll leave it at this though.
Goon went wrong when they cared more about their public perception in their vehicle than the things in their life that actually mattered.

We've seen it in this subforum time and time again. Let's... Move on.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Once he got the GoPro out didn't he say it actually never touched the bumpstops? So either the springs are so hard that it feels like full compression every cycle or he just has no idea what he's feeling/talking about. I assume the latter.

If you can't feel the difference between stiff springs and a spring rate that goes to infinity, I'm not sure you should be making modifications to a vehicle...

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

CommieGIR posted:

Maybe not restricted but let me tell you I just turned 40 this year and I'm like desperately after a wagon for some reason now and we don't even have kids.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
35 in a month and I have this real bad want for a gen1 volt or a g2 prius to circuit bend into a tool cart.

To lift 55mm. Grabbers. LincolnLock the diff, bellypan to keep the converter thieves out, add a 6kW inverter to power my dumbass 240V tools and charge off my solar as a portable welding rig.

E: hell I'd run a sienna hybrid if they were a thou bucks. dgaf minivans own.
I almost parted my truck out to build an econoline. I love vans.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

We've seen it in this subforum time and time again. Let's... Move on.

^^^^^

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

When I was in my late teens/early 20s the two coolest cars you could own were a Legacy GT or Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 wagon. Preferably with some snowboards on the roof rack.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm 40 and drive a Volvo V60. I don't feel awkward at all but I haven't exactly asked around if others agree.

Oh, I should have noted that I'm 53 and drive a wagon ('03 Subaru Outback) when my wife isn't driving it, no problem.
Though I prefer my V8 couch (AKA: Crown Victoria.)

I have no problem with Volvo wagons and CTS (V!) wagons, etc. I like being able to hauls stuff as well as rear end.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 17-year-old son drives a Volvo V70 wagon with a 5-speed. Lowered. With an exhaust.

Truly wagons are ageless.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

"Galaxy" would combine the stars + spirals motifs of both parts but Ford has that name locked up already.

GMC Safari. gently caress it, just use the Swahili spelling of galaxy: Galaksi. Ford can't have Galaxie, Galaxy, and Galaksi, the greedy fuckers.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I went from a '93 Passat wagon into a '05 Colorado with carpeted bed a fiberglass cap (basically a wagon) into a '10 Golf Sportwagen into a '19 Golf Alltrack - the last "wagon" VW will sell here.

I want to camp inside the thing I can throw a bike into and a kayak on top of and haul lumber for a fence with and work on without a ladder and hand-wash the top of without standing on a wheel and also put it in the garage and close the door.

Does half of that stuff actually matter? Nah. But cars are boring and don't do it all. Barely anybody uses their truck to do anything but drive. SUVs are everywhere. In this landscape, a wagon is almost bespoke. In 2023, it would be easy to say that every current wagon owner has gone out of their way to hunt down and buy theirs. It wasn't a "guess I'll go with the one they have on the lot.." type decision.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe not restricted but let me tell you I just turned 40 this year and I'm like desperately after a wagon for some reason now and we don't even have kids.

Because wagons kick rear end

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

About the best cars I ever had were the Ford Windstar/Freestar vans that were my company cars from 2004-2012. Nimble, versatile, comfortable; hauled a ton of people and cargo. Probably half of the building materials for my garage came home in them.

I taught my son to drive in the Windstar; he loved it because of the commanding, nearly 360-degree view; made him feel very secure.

I never got the minivan hate. How insecure do you have to be?

Also had a '93 Buick Roadmaster. Could load full sheets of plywood & close the tailgate.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PainterofCrap posted:

For me it's not an insecurity, they just suck to drive. My wife has an odyssey, and it's fantastic for what it does, but my daily driver is a BRZ so driving that giant land whale of a vehicle sucks compared to my little go kart.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PainterofCrap posted:

About the best cars I ever had were the Ford Windstar/Freestar vans that were my company cars from 2004-2012. Nimble, versatile, comfortable; hauled a ton of people and cargo. Probably half of the building materials for my garage came home in them.

I taught my son to drive in the Windstar; he loved it because of the commanding, nearly 360-degree view; made him feel very secure.

Also had a '93 Buick Roadmaster. Could load full sheets of plywood & close the tailgate.

I always hated our Windstar; gutless, thirsty, and unresponsive. Although, that car was definitely at the end of its life, the door could freeze open in the winter and it had a lot of that kind of "first car" problems, so maybe my experience is not representative of owning a Windstar

Vans are great though, I encourage their purchase to almost everyone, because they meet most people's needs, even if their styling is usually appreciated with time. I almost bought a Mazda5, so I'm comfortable being the man with the van

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I always hated our Windstar; gutless, thirsty, and unresponsive. Although, that car was definitely at the end of its life, the door could freeze open in the winter and it had a lot of that kind of "first car" problems, so maybe my experience is not representative of owning a Windstar

Vans are great though, I encourage their purchase to almost everyone, because they meet most people's needs, even if their styling is usually appreciated with time. I almost bought a Mazda5, so I'm comfortable being the man with the van

This was my family's car when I was a kid and took us many hundreds and thousands of miles doing everything including road trips between New Jersey to Orlando, FL (all in a single day driven exclusively by my dad) and to southwestern Virginia. This one had captain seats instead of a bench seat in the middle road so my brother and I were less prone to invading each other's personal space. We even got a portable TV/VCR combo that neatly sat between front seats and kept me and my brother occupied during those road trips. One time, my dad even almost lost a hand when my little brother inadvertently slammed the sliding door shut while his hand was still resting on the B-pillar. Good times.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if my parent's hated that thing as a car. Granted they weren't car people but, after being a Ford family since they came to this country in the 70s, they decided to move on to greener pastures (ie Toyota) after the Windstar blew a headgasket which leaked coolant into the cylinder(s). They did have to pay for a rebuilt engine just to have a running car again. It didn't stay for that much longer before they got a '06 RAV4 that's still running to this day.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
We had 3 different Caravans growing up. Beige ‘86, a white ‘94 and a red pimped out ‘02 Town and Country my dad foisted on my mom not long before the divorce when she wanted something sporty because all us kids had either moved out or had our own cars.

She made him take it in the divorce and it would have ended up getting lemon lawed but my dad voided the warranty

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 17, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

All through college and shortly after I drove a 91 Voyager that my mom gave me. It had fake wood paneling and I ate tons of poo poo because it was a "grocery getter" but whose car did we take every time we went to the bar or someone needed to move? That thing hauled more furniture and rear end than any of my pickup or SUV owning friends. Comfy as hell too; loved that thing.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I liked my facelift Mazda5 and had 6 comfortable seats but it had almost none of the storage space that 6 people would need. I sold it and bought a second gen Mitsubishi Montero.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I wish my grandparents had let me know when they sold their Turbo Caravan...

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

The Door Frame posted:

the door could freeze open in the winter
When I was like 10 maybe my mom had an Aerostar van and I have a vivid memory of the sliding door getting stuck open after loading my brother and I in and driving to my dad's work with it just wide open so he could fix it. I hated that van, not just because of that because, again, I was like 10. How could I hate a car? I just did. Then we got one of those Big Foot tapes on VHS that had the Big Foot Aerostar Van in it and I was like why can't ours be that awesome? Really tore me on the whole mini van thing. Then in highschool the goalie on the hockey team had a stick shift, maybe '89?, caravan complete with the wood paneling and an 8 ball shifter and we would do clutch dropping burnouts in that thing on the regular which also brought me back from the brink of all minivans suck. I eventually owned a 2001 VW Eurovan (which I refused was a minivan to my wife who would only call it a minivan to which I would retort it's a Eurovan) and it was awesome. The 17mpg on the highway was not awesome as it had a V6 and only a 4spd trans but everything else about it was pretty sweet. But still, I can't help but hate minivans. Maybe because in my mind a minivan is like a 1998 Dodge Caravan which has no redeeming qualities in my eyes?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My brother in Satan have you been in an odyssey or sienna in the last 10 years? Large, quiet, smooth and comfortable. I'd take one over a fukkin Escalade or whatever any day of the week.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah modern minivans are nice inside and all, and are especially nice to drive compared to a big SUV, but I don’t want to own one of those either.

We rented a newer Sienna to drive five of us from Vegas to the Grand Canyon a few years ago and it was perfectly suitable, but given that I have a choice of many cars to drive to suit different purposes, I’ll never buy a minivan.

We never need space for more than 4 people at home, and if I need to haul something biggish, I have a Kei truck and my wife has an Escape (even this is too big for me to drive regularly) My FiST is my work car and I haul large amounts of medical equipment in that behemoth.

It’s not that I have some sort of vitriolic hatred against minivans, it’s just not “for me”. I prefer smaller cars with three pedals.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm convinced US road planners have shares in concrete and tarmac companies (and possibly have debilitating brain injuries) because what the gently caress is this monstrosity?

https://twitter.com/LakeStevensWA/status/1691825107017322966?t=b1oLEBywtVRtdcArK1-eCg&s=19

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cheaper than building overpasses at this weird wide spot in the road that has recently become busier than expected, probably. Not to say it's not dumb but it's probably mostly to slow the highway traffic coming through without making it so cross-traffic has to wait for stoplights if no one is coming.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm convinced US road planners have shares in concrete and tarmac companies (and possibly have debilitating brain injuries) because what the gently caress is this monstrosity?

https://twitter.com/LakeStevensWA/status/1691825107017322966?t=b1oLEBywtVRtdcArK1-eCg&s=19

this is very weird as I used to live there a while ago, and that idiot town likes putting roundabouts at random places

this is no surprise and I am glad I dont have to drive in it lol

e. oh that's over by Safeway and Highway 9. That part loving sucks, it's a nightmare getting in and out of that Safeway because it's right on Highway 9. good luck everyone

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Just why? Forcing people though this at your strip mall shopping area seems like you're trying to keep people away by making it inconvenient to quickly traverse by car when lots of people want to shop at the same time, completely defeating the purpose of a strip mall shopping area

Just imagine getting groceries there on Super Bowl Sunday :shudder:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Door Frame posted:

Just imagine getting groceries there on Super Bowl Sunday :shudder:

it was already impossible due to how the lights / entry / exit were set up near the highway, lmao it's gonna be even worse now as people try to navigate the labyrinth in their giant trucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Cheaper than building overpasses at this weird wide spot in the road that has recently become busier than expected, probably. Not to say it's not dumb but it's probably mostly to slow the highway traffic coming through without making it so cross-traffic has to wait for stoplights if no one is coming.

On my drive to work, there are two roundabouts off the highway. Not too bad. But, they're opening up a Farm & Fleet Fleet Farm there and are in the process of setting up traffic lights. So, roundabout, roundabout, STOP.