Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ignoring any tipping discussion because I’ve been on the internet too long…

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about any random policies from a small business owner like a brewery. They can be completely arbitrary just because they got annoyed at one person one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
as a brewery employee, i get mad at multiple people every day

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Would it help if I tipped?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Would it help if I tipped?

you? no.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

funkybottoms posted:

That’s just you looking back at you in the bright tank reflection.

Tip your wait and bar staff. Samples are for wusses.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I just commit to a beer

I don't need a sample I'll buy a full beer and if it sucks I will live with the consequences of my decision

places that don't do half pours can suck my dick though I went to a brewery once and all their IPAs were 8%+ and they only did full pours

not trying to get a DUI asshats

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I like places that have half measures but don't charge more. If I get a 6oz I'd like to not pay 2/3 of a 12oz glass.

Yes I have worked bars and know why this is. Doesn't have to mean I like it.

Edit: what I really like is when you get to the sort of familiarity with staff that they just give you a splash of something that you're not sure if you want (or is new) to let you decide, even if they don't officially do tasters (aka 3oz or whatever)

Edit: VVVVVVV if you're getting multiple samples, stay for that many beers imo. gently caress people getting multiple samples but only tipping on the one beer they have

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If I'm getting samples there's no way I'm leaving without buying something, and there's no way I'm not tipping on it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Half pours for 2/3 or 3/4 the price of a full pour should be criminal.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Half pours for 2/3 or 3/4 the price of a full pour should be criminal.

I am fine with 2/3rds the cost but I absolutely hate the price structure one of my favorite breweries does, which tends to look like:

5oz: $3 12oz: $5 20oz: $6

just makes me feel like a sucker going for the 12oz pour, which I usually prefer

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reminds me of the mug clubs that give you 20 oz for the price of 16 oz.

I do not want 20 oz pours out of a ceramic mug.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I recently had a sample of a beer that was pretty much the full amount I could see myself drinking of it.

It was good but it was so intensely sour, I don't know how I could have gotten through a whole 16 oz glass

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
In my experience the only places that don’t do flights or samples are the places that have a menu that consists of NEIPA or Sour 1-12 and they don’t want you to realize that all the tap lines just run to a single full keg in the back.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

In my experience the only places that don’t do flights or samples are the places that have a menu that consists of NEIPA or Sour 1-12 and they don’t want you to realize that all the tap lines just run to a single full keg in the back.

They're all different due to each line last being cleaned somewhere between 3 months ago and 2 years ago

Hauki
May 11, 2010

smackfu posted:

Reminds me of the mug clubs that give you 20 oz for the price of 16 oz.

I do not want 20 oz pours out of a ceramic mug.

The only time I’ve enjoyed mug club is when I could get 20oz of low abv gose for like $3.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

So you've been to Other Half before, huh?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MunchE posted:

I just commit to a beer

I don't need a sample I'll buy a full beer and if it sucks I will live with the consequences of my decision

I've never not just ordered a full beer, and I've never not finished a beer even if it wasn't great. It's like my parents told me as a kid: finish your beer because there are children sober in Africa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The weirdest was when I didn't bother tasting a beer because it was my favorite style (IPA) with one of my favorite flavors (pineapple). I've had pineapple IPA before, they were quite tasty. So I got a full pint.

I couldn't drink more than a few sips. Turns out it was pineapple YUZU and apparently I find yuzu quite gross tasting!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

davebo posted:

I've never not just ordered a full beer, and I've never not finished a beer even if it wasn't great. It's like my parents told me as a kid: finish your beer because there are children sober in Africa.

Would you drink all of this?

I think I managed half before I gave up and returned it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Did they use live soil in the mash, or what?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Brawnfire posted:

Did they use live soil in the mash, or what?

Activated charcoal

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dont remember seeing that in the Reinheitsgebot...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

Would you drink all of this?

I think I managed half before I gave up and returned it

why would you even order that?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

BLAME THE VICTIM

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pink Boots Society beer at The Veil. I didn't get a sample first because I assumed they were competent enough to not hand me a glass of pond water.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That is a remarkably unpleasant color.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

Pink Boots Society beer at The Veil. I didn't get a sample first because I assumed they were competent enough to not hand me a glass of pond water.

was the bolded part what was listen on the menu/taplist/words said by people working there and you didn't look at a description?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

was the bolded part what was listen on the menu/taplist/words said by people working there and you didn't look at a description?

The Veil defender has logged on

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's been like two years now but the description on the board at the time said Pink Boots Society, IPA, activated charcoal, and I don't remember what else. I ordered it primarily because it was a Pink Boots Society beer. Here's the full description on their own site:

quote:

Girlz Night In is a brand new Double IPA with activated charcoal hopped with Citra and the 2020 Pink Boots Society hop blend. We collaborated on this beer with many of the women of our company to raise money for @pinkbootssociety. Money from our purchase of the hops goes to the cause as well as a percentage of sales from the cans and draft of this beer. Hoppy flavors of grape and thirst quenching watermelon, with a Riesling minerality. 

It looked like poo poo, it tasted like poo poo, their brewers should have been ashamed to sell something like that. I posted it as a rebuttal to the "I don't need to ever get a sample" discussion. I wish I had gotten a sample first!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

The Veil defender has logged on

Ok.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
how does the photo of it on their website somehow manage to look less appealing

https://shop.theveilbrewing.com/product/girlz-night-in-4-pack-16oz-cans/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Alucard posted:

They're all different due to each line last being cleaned somewhere between 3 months ago and 2 years ago

Ah, the modern solera method.

Also, anybody who puts activated charcoal into a beer is not only making it taste awful but loving up people's medications, and should be loving slapped.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you don't like that, we have a hefeweizen eyewash station

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

Ah, the modern solera method.

Also, anybody who puts activated charcoal into a beer is not only making it taste awful but loving up people's medications, and should be loving slapped.

Yeah if you want to gently caress up everyone's meds at least make it taste good by doing a grapefruit IPA

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

If you don't like that, we have a hefeweizen eyewash station

coolship hand sanitizer

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

lmao i just got an email from the veil for the charcoal beer despite it having been brewed two years ago

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

lmao i just got an email from the veil for the charcoal beer despite it having been brewed two years ago

Oh when Drie Fonteinen puts "vintage' on their beers it's cool but not when The Veil does it?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mmmmm, aged pond water

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

well...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

danbanana posted:

Oh when Drie Fonteinen puts "vintage' on their beers it's cool but not when The Veil does it?

Yes.