Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zamujasa posted:

I doubt we'll see a party split as much as a lot of discontent, but ultimately falling in line. I can see turnout being depressed but the concept of an actual, literal party split seems impossible.

In previous periods I'd agree and say they'd just memoryhole the thing like they did with W after he left office, but there are a whole lot more glassy-eyed true-believing psychopaths in the party now how genuinely believe Trump was sent by god to save the nation. Can't say, yet, if the proportion of them is enough to shatter the party but hoo boy, I'm betting it's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SpannerX posted:

Yup, because it's Duran Duran.

:yooge:
:wrong:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In previous periods I'd agree and say they'd just memoryhole the thing like they did with W after he left office, but there are a whole lot more glassy-eyed true-believing psychopaths in the party now how genuinely believe Trump was sent by god to save the nation. Can't say, yet, if the proportion of them is enough to shatter the party but hoo boy, I'm betting it's close.

The sheer amount of money and control at the top is what makes me doubtful. The rank and file people might be Trump-poisoned idiots but there's a lot of money at the top interested in keeping Rs together.

There's also a lot of money and interest in having a functional Republican party because of their deregulatory and grifting effects on government.

The comedy option is that the party semi-splits with the Trumpers forming their own and the Democrats going "oh, hey, we're a big tent, let's invite the reasonable Republicans" :v:

:suicide:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zamujasa posted:

The comedy option is that the party semi-splits with the Trumpers forming their own and the Democrats going "oh, hey, we're a big tent, let's invite the reasonable Republicans" :v:

Isn't this already happening?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dolash posted:

Six foot twenty fuckin killing for fun.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't this already happening?

Yeah, see also how they slobbered all over Liz Cheney during the select committee hearings.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Zamujasa posted:

I doubt we'll see a party split as much as a lot of discontent, but ultimately falling in line. I can see turnout being depressed but the concept of an actual, literal party split seems impossible.

“A big chunk of our voters are staying home in every election because they can’t stand what we are offering but they don’t know where else to go” is the Democrats 1980-1990.

Very nonzero chance the 2024 GOP nominee will be campaigning from jail or from house arrest and there is no acceptable mechanism to replace him and he will never resign. If he loses get ready for the 2028 cycle where this repeats.

1/3 of the party won’t vote for anyone else, 1/6 of the party won’t vote for him, everyone else in serious denial.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cimber posted:

https://twitter.com/acnewsitics/status/1691272434098548736

Should we start a pool for his height and weight? I'm going to guess 6'0 and 254 pounds.

6'1, 280

Edit: For comparison, here is me at 6'3" and ~250 last year

If he weighs less than me in that picture, I'll donate $50 to planned parenthood :toxx:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 16, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Those people are the first to fall in line with whatever the post-Trump zeitgeist is. A party split is practically unthinkable.

If Trump were 15 years younger or had actually built a stable of competent people around himself of people to carry on the “movement” then it may be more likely, but he just literally doesn’t have time to do that. And the substancelessness of the “movement” to begin with keeps it from attracting anyone substantial who will stick around.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1691890003171811706

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
An added benefit of having Trump take a mugshot is that it's going to absolutely piss off every cop involved in the process. They're probably going to be apologizing to Trump profusely for having to do it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The day before Super Tuesday lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

An added benefit of having Trump take a mugshot is that it's going to absolutely piss off every cop involved in the process. They're probably going to be apologizing to Trump profusely for having to do it.

They may actually come to him with tears in their eyes. Big, strong cops like you wouldn't believe

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Sir. They shouldn't be doing this to my favorite president, you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Biggest question is if he does his 80s corporate power glare bullshit in the picture, or pull a Tom Delay and smile so it can't be used in ads against him.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I think we can conclusively say 6'1", unless Obama's is being inflated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...te-comparisons/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Six foot one way, two foot the other, and he weighs three hundred pounds.
Coat so big he couldn't pay the tailor, and it only goes half way round.

"Kingdom Coming", Henry Clay Work, 1862.

You do not want to look up the rest of the lyrics (it's essentially a pro-Union, abolitionist minstrel song. if you've seen Ken Burns' The Civil War, an instrumental version is used as a sort of theme for US Grant).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
He's gonna sue the prison for posting false stats if and when they post under 6' and 300+ lbs.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Going back to the RICO fine vs incarceration issue, I feel like if you're dealing with criminal bosses who are moving hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, and the law allows you to fine them up to 300% what they made through their crimes, a $25k cap otherwise feels insanely low. So I'm wondering if the idea isn't that if you did racketeering for profit they'll take all of your money, but if you did it for other reasons (Say to attempt the subversion of American democracy) the fines are not really the intended remedy, but rather hard time is.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nah, you've got it backwards. The boring businessman types who want to go back to McCains and Romneys are the ones who're going to fall into line, just like they have for the last eight years.

I can't see a party split being likely at this point. With so much of the GOP base going full MAGA, there's really no room for the pre-escalator Republicans to push back. Once Trump's out, there's going to be one hell of a fight over the heir apparent role, but the MAGAs so completely dominate Republican primaries right now that I can't see an actual ideological split. The moderates will stay quiet and hope incumbency keeps them in their seats, and then retire when they get sick of it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1691911341198496189

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if the court imposes a fine and he reuses to pay it?
(Not just doesn't pay it, troots out that he'll never pay it)

PurpleSky
Jun 28, 2022

FizFashizzle posted:

Biggest question is if he does his 80s corporate power glare bullshit in the picture, or pull a Tom Delay and smile so it can't be used in ads against him.

Does Trump smile? His face seems to do everything else but smile.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if the court imposes a fine and he reuses to pay it?
(Not just doesn't pay it, troots out that he'll never pay it)

The court shows up with an order for his bank and they say yes sir and pay it.

Sounds like a great way to get any special arrangement revoked and off to jail as well.

Reminder: Trump is surrounded at all times by sworn LEOs. He is complying with any legal court orders to show up somewhere or report somewhere because he can no longer travel independently. They are with him 24/7.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

The court shows up with an order for his bank and they say yes sir and pay it.

Sounds like a great way to get any special arrangement revoked and off to jail as well.

Reminder: Trump is surrounded at all times by sworn LEOs. He is complying with any legal court orders to show up somewhere or report somewhere because he can no longer travel independently. They are with him 24/7.

lol what

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Secret Service agents.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so your theory is the secret servixe is gonna go "sorry sir you're late for court, get out of bed!"

is that really how it works

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

The sheer amount of money and control at the top is what makes me doubtful. The rank and file people might be Trump-poisoned idiots but there's a lot of money at the top interested in keeping Rs together.

There's also a lot of money and interest in having a functional Republican party because of their deregulatory and grifting effects on government.

Said money and control couldn’t stop Trump from being the nominee in 2016, 2020, or now in 2024, so I have serious doubts that they have any ability to keep the party together in 2028. Back when Fox News was the main info source for the GOP, they could lead that tiger, but now that social media has decided it makes a profit from exacerbating the worst fear and anger from people, the Screeching White Hot Ball Of Rage is all that 30% of them are ever going to vote for.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Going back to the RICO fine vs incarceration issue, I feel like if you're dealing with criminal bosses who are moving hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars, and the law allows you to fine them up to 300% what they made through their crimes, a $25k cap otherwise feels insanely low. So I'm wondering if the idea isn't that if you did racketeering for profit they'll take all of your money, but if you did it for other reasons (Say to attempt the subversion of American democracy) the fines are not really the intended remedy, but rather hard time is.

“a fine that does not exceed the greater of $25,000.00 or three times the amount of any pecuniary value gained by him or her from such violation.”

So the $25K only applies if the monetary damage is quite low.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Customary IANAL; I can’t remember which podcast exactly I heard it from the past few days, but it was either the lawyers they had on 538 or one of the heads on opening arguments mentioned that sentencing guidelines will spit out different enhancements depending on the nuances of culpability and position in the corrupt organization. I’m wondering/asking/suggesting I suppose that the possibility of a fine in lieu of time served is something that the guidelines would not spit out for the person situated at the center of the org, though maybe someone much lower level. But, again, I’m musing from ignorance basically.

You’d think surely not would the kingpin of a racket just get a slap on the wrist from a conviction, but I’m learning new stuff every day so who knows.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

so your theory is the secret servixe is gonna go "sorry sir you're late for court, get out of bed!"

is that really how it works

Yeah they work for the Feds not Donald Trump personally it’s not the loving Varangian Guard.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Said money and control couldn’t stop Trump from being the nominee in 2016, 2020, or now in 2024, so I have serious doubts that they have any ability to keep the party together in 2028. Back when Fox News was the main info source for the GOP, they could lead that tiger, but now that social media has decided it makes a profit from exacerbating the worst fear and anger from people, the Screeching White Hot Ball Of Rage is all that 30% of them are ever going to vote for.

When Trump loses again the party will once again find an external scapegoat (Biden weaponized Justice Department) instead of the needed assessment that he is a very bad candidate and very bad President who got super lucky running against someone very very unpopular eight years ago.

Usually a party loses and says “what went wrong and what can we do better”

“Trump didn’t actually lose” is the position of a huge chunk of the party and “First priority is revenge for 2020” is the position of another huge chunk.

The GOP is hyped to run Jimmy Carter in 1984 here. And when that fails it’s going to be Carter ‘88 and Carter ‘92 until the fever breaks and someone gets momentum by going “guys we need to stop this and get sane again.”

In the meantime the Supreme Court will continue to issue insane rulings that will mightily piss off vast sectors of the country thus feeding the desire for reform/change.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So would Trump ever plead the fifth or is he too proud and will have a Sideshow Bob "attempted murder" moment?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tatsuta Age posted:

I don't think they are supposed to do that at their own initiative, but they do have to obey a court order, and the judge knows they are always around and how to contact them. I doubt this has actually happened, but the point is that if trump tries playing cute and missing appointments, the judge has a really easy way to enforce compliance, everyone knows this, and so it isn't tested.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Secret Service officers are not judicial bailiffs. They are not there to ensure Trump attends his court proceedings.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
With all the speculation surrounding height and weight, T seems our best contender yet to match The Triumph of the Whale:

C Lamb posted:

Not a mightier whale than this
In the vast Atlantic is;
Not a fatter fish than he
Flounders round the polar sea.
See his blubbers-at his gills
What a world of drink he swills,
From his trunk, as from a spout,
Which next moment he pours out.
Such his person-next declare,
Muse, who his companions are.-
Every fish of generous kind
Scuds aside, or slinks behind;
But about his presence keep
All the Monsters of the Deep;

Being that T does not drink alcohol, that part would have to be rewritten for ketchup.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Secret Service officers are not judicial bailiffs. They are not there to ensure Trump attends his court proceedings.

No, but they are law officers and if a judge hands them an order saying "Trump needs to be at the courthouse at 9 AM on the dot", they have to make sure he's there. In cuffs if need be.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cimber posted:

No, but they are law officers and if a judge hands them an order saying "Trump needs to be at the courthouse at 9 AM on the dot", they have to make sure he's there. In cuffs if need be.

that's not how any of this works, like, at all? The court wouldn't even attempt to force the secret service to force a protectee to go anywhere or do anything. That's not... what they're for?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

smackfu posted:

“a fine that does not exceed the greater of $25,000.00 or three times the amount of any pecuniary value gained by him or her from such violation.”

So the $25K only applies if the monetary damage is quite low.

That's what I was trying to get at - that 25k limit is so low compared to the sorts of figures you'd expect to see in a mob case or big drugs bust that it seems out of whack. If the Donbot gets fined $15,000,000 because he made 5 mil from running the Robot Mafia, that makes fining some schmuck who did one job for them $25,000 look kinda bizarrely low in comparison.

But now that I'm more awake I'm not entirely sure what the point I was actually trying to drive at with that post was :v:

e; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bjA9lm8tJU

Holy poo poo nevermind mycrimes.txt, Roger Stone is on mycrimes.MPEG

e2; I have no idea if Ari's conclusions and commentary are worth anything but the Stone video itself is :eyepop:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Madkal posted:

So would Trump ever plead the fifth or is he too proud and will have a Sideshow Bob "attempted murder" moment?
He has repeatedly pled the 5th in past cases.