Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
There's seemingly a third reply/variation from Tong now on Kotaku - https://kotaku.com/linus-tech-tips-gamers-break-nexus-youtube-pc-gaming-1850743611

Koskun fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

What the gently caress is with small businesses not being able to somehow treat people, especially women, as human beings? How hard is it to have a strict policy of “If you sexually harass anyone, you are immediately fired after an immediate investigation if the allegations are substantiated.”
It’s not rocket science, it’s easy to do, and it immediately ends this poo poo. For fucks sake.

Since anyone can do a small business and since there’s a *lot* of uneducated owners out there, I figured this stuff is genuinely novel and “woke” to them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FlapYoJacks posted:

What the gently caress is with small businesses not being able to somehow treat people, especially women, as human beings? How hard is it to have a strict policy of “If you sexually harass anyone, you are immediately fired after an immediate investigation if the allegations are substantiated.”
It’s not rocket science, it’s easy to do, and it immediately ends this poo poo. For fucks sake.

Because a lot of people are poo poo, and in a small business assholes often don't have someone over them who will fire their asses for that crap.

It's frequently awful in large businesses too, but at least there you get enough layers of corporate bullshit and shareholders that you get policies written because people understand that blowing up in the media about a sexual harassment scandal is bad business. It's not altruistic, it's purely because the whole system is a machine designed to make money, and some dipshit making the company look bad by telling women to "calm your tits" gets in the way of making money.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Titor posted:

Speaking of, many folks have brought up the $100 million valuation for the company. The only source for this I can find primarily comes from Linus himself, stating that an undisclosed company expressed interest in a $100 million acquisition of LMG. As of now there's been no external validation available, leaving us with only Linus's word to go by. Given the recent instances of misinformation from Linus I wonder if this claim now merits some scepticism.

totally could have been real during the peak funny-money period we were just in

probably wasn't a real $100 million cash or like-cash payment straight up. if it was he'd have been incredibly stupid not to have taken it. if it was at all real I'd guess the $100 million was just the headline / acquisition value and Linus would only have gotten that payout if LMG turned into Disney or some poo poo.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

TheGreySpectre posted:

I mean if Blizzard and any number of other companies are any indication it's not just small companies that have an issue treating women with respect.

FYI James is also the one to make the dancing on the table joke in the leaked meeting that was posted above.

Yeah, the tremendously rich part about this is there are extended WAN show rants with Linus going off about Blizzard and other game company scandals with Luke nodding along, and it's clearly peak "throwing stones in glass houses"/"emperor has no clothes". Even if he meant it and it wasn't kayfabe on the podcast, he wasn't capable of doing any better with his own company.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

totally could have been real during the peak funny-money period we were just in

probably wasn't a real $100 million cash or like-cash payment straight up. if it was he'd have been incredibly stupid not to have taken it. if it was at all real I'd guess the $100 million was just the headline / acquisition value and Linus would only have gotten that payout if LMG turned into Disney or some poo poo.

In his video about it he claimed it was 60% cash and 40% stock.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

how fired is this dude?

A dude who looks exactly like this will somehow show up in every IT interview pool. Only difference is that next week this very dude will be representing the archetype.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

it's pretty easy to have issues like this happen; a very typical situation is people get tell you a job is "nice and casual, and the boss is a funny guy", and basically becomes a euphemism for no formalized management, which just ends up reinforcing typical power structures

github famously bragged about their "flat" management structure which eventually became libertarian lord of the flies

it's all a good reminder of how the distinction between ignorance and malice doesn't matter much, because the end result is the same. (on top of how revenue and profits are spent and shared amongst employees)

people in tech/stem are ... something else in overestimating their own intelligence when it comes to social skills and managing people

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is there a Jason Schreier of Youtube journalists?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Hellequin posted:

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1691944990631707102?t=HF4L-zqc3RNv6xpWoLEd3A&s=19

Step in the right direction, still not going to resub to floatplane anytime soon.

yeah can't wait for the results of the investigation they paid for to give them the answers they want to hear

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

mA posted:

Is there a Jason Schreier of Youtube journalists?
not really these days. it'd probably be something like insider (fka business insider) reporting on it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Cool clip
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxXDdYtCSSlCnijyCXu7Ho2LJcenQxYYK0

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so during the "do not discuss wages" dispute in february an employee made a throwaway account and dropped more allegations while including a full copy of the employee handbook: https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/115ucm3/ltt_isnt_a_great_employer_has_a_lot_of_antilabour/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: dumb post

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 17, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Charles Leclerc posted:

It's GN Steve in a 1920s investigative journalist get up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

the ROG Typewriter is what got me. :five:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lmao

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:five:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

That is a standard process development technique, just please don't ever use it for HR poo poo lmao.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is the issue with nerds, everything is a problem with a technical solution. "Let it fail, collect data" is unacceptable if that means you're burning out staff and causing serious distress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:pusheen:

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I'd argue HR doesn't even exist to protect the company, but rather to enable the senior executives to operate how they want. HR may offer guidance to the senior execs on how to better protective the company from liability, but if the leadership team wants to continue being sex pest freaks, the most HR will do is draft paper policies to give the appearance of regulatory compliance.

For companies with strongmen leadership types like Linus, HR may as well be a maid following a bull in a China shop with a broom and dustpan. Sure, HR will try to fix the broken plates as best they can, but they're never stepping in front of the bull to tell them "no"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

well why not posted:

This is the issue with nerds, everything is a problem with a technical solution. "Let it fail, collect data" is unacceptable if that means you're burning out staff and causing serious distress.

Yeah that's Luke's response to Linus saying our company's processes are poo poo because the viewer require 7 videos a week otherwise we'll fall to obscurity

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
HR, like other bureaucracies, do have the potential to grow out of control and do things they shouldn't be involved in. But having enough HR can also be good for employees - I've worked for places which had a too sparse HR department, and that is a hassle for both employees and leaders.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol

lmao even

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Excellent. Sturke even sounds like an old-timey detective/journalist name. “Sturke’s on the case, they won’t get far.”

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ultraklystron posted:

the ROG Typewriter is what got me. :five:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lmfao

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i hope madison is taking some time to think about what she'll want to do with her new lab next year

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This makes me laugh so hard everytime I see it. The dude on the right is seeing his job pass before his eyes for a second there

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I do think that saying HR is there to protect the company and not the employees is a little more nuanced, sometimes protecting the company is in the form of making sure it is complying with laws designed to protect employees from abuse by their employer and also remaining in compliance with their own policies. Like, lots of companies have official policies that are trans inclusive because it sounds good on DEI reports but in practice employees have a difficult time transitioning in the workplace, at least in theory, I think in practice in a lot of cases has a place in making sure people like middle managers maintain compliance with policies on transition. I work for a company in the same size-ish as LMG and our handbook has a whole section on policies and protections for workplace transition.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the buildup makes it so good, you can see Luke's already very surprised that it was in American Dad

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HR protects the company, and sometimes the company's best interests align with the employees'. Not always, but in this instance, a proper HR department - literally even one person - could've steered around this.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

pzy posted:

Anyone have the LTT forum post where Linus describes his first experiences with women? Something like "smokey but pleasant"

Classic

Edit: Bless this thread

Lol, Linus went to bible camp. Really, it fits.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

the buildup makes it so good, you can see Luke's already very surprised that it was in American Dad

the "left-to-right thrash" in confusion is an all timer. visual befuddlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

well why not posted:

the "left-to-right thrash" in confusion is an all timer. visual befuddlement.

Christ, poor Luke