Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Car Hater posted:

rolling stops

growing up i heard these called "california stops"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Lmao no way in hell more than 1/4 of drivers actually fully stop at stop signs instead of rolling stops

Driving the speed limit and stopping fully at signs is the #1 way to induce spitting rage in other drivers

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Doc Hawkins posted:

growing up i heard these called "california stops"

we called them ‘cop stops’ when I was a kid cause it used to be that citizens would get pulled over for them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stop signs on a four-lane road is psycho poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah

the trukkk slows down but never stops then there's 2 bikers, one of whom stops for a 3 count (with their feet on the ground) and the other slows way down but doesnt' come to a complete stop (I'm not a biker but I think this is okay or recommended, idk) then pedals through the intersection.
It looks to me like the first biker came to a complete stop at one point but just didn't put their foot down

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The entire premise is idiotic. The only people the bicyclists are endangering is themselves. The truck is a rolling tank

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

It looks to me like the first biker came to a complete stop at one point but just didn't put their foot down

yeah looking at it again I think you're right

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually initially assumed they were somehow mad at the second cyclist but I don't think they did anything wrong either.

I guess it's more likely that they just felt like the first cyclist didn't really stop because they didn't put their foot down but afaik there's no requirement that cyclists put their feet down, and when you're on a bike it's actually pretty annoying to put your foot down at a four way stop because then there's a brief period where you can be getting ready to start moving again but cars may see that you're not moving yet and decide to go at the same time which can lead to a lot of confusion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://x.com/davidzipper/status/1691484736730935307?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's amazing how literally all of the inexpensive compact hatchbacks have been killed in the past few years

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I had a Mirage as a rental once. Good little car, 50 mpg, but it absolutely gets bodied in every car review because it’s not big enough and too little vroom vroom.

mystes
May 31, 2006

since I'm stuck in a very car centric place I'm still driving my 2009 honda fit and I occasionally (like once a year) check to see what I would replace it with if it died (since the fit was discontinued in the us) but each time I do everything that people suggest as an alternative has also already been killed, so I realized it's a waste of time

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
wasnt the mirage 4wd? I seem to recall mitsubishi having a little 4wd sedan which seemed like it owuld be nice to have in snow

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mystes posted:

since I'm stuck in a very car centric place I'm still driving my 2009 honda fit and I occasionally (like once a year) check to see what I would replace it with if it died (since the fit was discontinued in the us) but each time I do everything that people suggest as an alternative has also already been killed, so I realized it's a waste of time

The segment is dead and was never very popular in the first place, the Fit was never a sales hit. America just has very little demand for an affordable, practical, fuel efficient car that can carry stuff or people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I also wonder if part of the problem is that people who drive practical cars are less likely to want to buy a new car every 2 years so the market is optimizing for the dumbest people's preferences

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao they discontinued the VW Golf although you can get the Golf GTI for $35k due to "low sales"

They sold 70,000 in 2017

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mystes posted:

I also wonder if part of the problem is that people who drive practical cars are less likely to want to buy a new car every 2 years so the market is optimizing for the dumbest people's preferences

yeah that might be it, no one is leasing a new econobox every 2 years. I'll drive my car until it dies because there's no alternative.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao they discontinued the VW Golf although you can get the Golf GTI for $35k due to "low sales"

They sold 70,000 in 2017

They sell more than 400,000 Golfs annually in the EU, which is a smaller market overall than the US.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Twerk from Home posted:

They sell more than 400,000 Golfs annually in the EU, which is a smaller market overall than the US.

oh yeah it's like the best selling car worldwide but it's harder to liquify an entire family with one so americans don't want it

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Maybe people would be less upset about bikes if we make the people who ride them less attractive

sim
Sep 24, 2003

impossible

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
uggos night at the local velodrome

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I briefly joined the cyclist concern this morning when I had to drop my car off for servicing in SoDo and then ride a unisex REI bike to Boeing Field.

I did not die but I am very sweaty. Airport Way is not terrible.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That whole area's filled with nails and crap on the road. Not quite as bad as Rainier down by Renton though. There's like a 30% chance of getting a flat every time I've ridden by there.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
make the bikes bigger than SUVs et voila

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

cat botherer posted:

That whole area's filled with nails and crap on the road. Not quite as bad as Rainier down by Renton though. There's like a 30% chance of getting a flat every time I've ridden by there.

yeah I'm fully expecting both of my tires to be flat when I go downstairs to get my bike in the afternoon.

it was a fun jaunt but actually more stressful than driving.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

everyone can commute via pedal pub

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

pennyfarthings only

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Megamissen posted:

pennyfarthings only

in this economy? more like dollarfarthings

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

wasnt the mirage 4wd? I seem to recall mitsubishi having a little 4wd sedan which seemed like it owuld be nice to have in snow
idk but i like the appearance of some of Mitsubishi's vehicles. they look cute

here's a similar Subaru i saw once

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mystes posted:

It's amazing how literally all of the inexpensive compact hatchbacks have been killed in the past few years

thanks to this post i just learned that the honda fit was discontinued in 2020. what da gently caress

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
imagine a world where everyone drives trukk, living in harmony

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Don Pigeon posted:

imagine a world where everyone drives trukk, living in harmony

replace trukk with killdozers and im there. would be nice for those vehicles to be rehabilitated by more sympathetic drivers than the last

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Driving the speed limit and stopping fully at signs is the #1 way to induce spitting rage in other drivers
It’s also really really funny.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's not the reason I do it but it's a nice bonus! I've been seeing cars with "The closer you get the slower I go" stickers and now I want one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

there's a big van near me with a sticker that says "sorry for driving so close in front of you" and it always makes me lol.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/SanazTahernia/status/1691613631505641910?s=20

Can’t find the pic on another tweet, but this intersection looked insane AND had green lights w walk lights w turn right turn lanes. Awful.

Edit: https://twitter.com/nextdoorsv/status/1691872450298986622?s=20

Boywhiz88 has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Aug 17, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mystes posted:

also there's not really a middle class anymore, which is who buys sensible economical cars. either you have good credit (white, suburbanite) and you can get 50 grand from a bank to buy some piece of poo poo truck or you can't and you drive a beater you bought used.

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

The segment is dead and was never very popular in the first place, the Fit was never a sales hit. America just has very little demand for an affordable, practical, fuel efficient car that can carry stuff or people.

America does have demand for vehicles like that, it's just that Premium Consumer is the only guy who matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

"Affordable, practical, fuel efficient car that can carry stuff or people" was most of the market for better part of a century, for every Cadillac Eldorado there were a thousand Dodge Darts.

The current state of affairs in the US with automobiles, where only the biggest and most obnoxious hunks of poo poo get any attention, is a relic of 2012+. It's a statement on our economy and who it pays attention to.