Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ooooh thanks for this! I didn't know they were involved, and I loved the insane amount of stress I felt watching Uncut Gems. I'll check this out.

It was really good. The first episode is about a joint that sold those "Police FOP" stickers that supposedly got you out of speeding tickets. I knew a guy who would always buy those and I loving knew it was a scam way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

looking back, the hit on the lissons was so weirdly shot and intercut. like I get what they were going for but the back and forth suggests simultaneity in a way that is mostly confusing

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
That scene was amazing - stumbling around after she tries to pull a Young Guns from the second story.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Freaquency posted:

Of course I went and picked the one example that has already had a comedy made about it

I still think it sounds like “why haven’t they made Spotlight into a musical comedy” though. Like, you’re going to have to sand off a lot of the rough edges to make it palatable for a broad comedy and at that point it’s not doing a whole lot of heavy lifting.

Honestly as someone who grew up in a wackadoo evangelical environment that was like 2 steps removed from handling snakes, the fact that they don’t dive too heavily into the really tough stuff is a blessing, because that would make it practically unwatchable for me.

And, in other ways, this is the most on-point depiction of evangelical Christianity I've ever seen. It's not the specific flavor I grew up with but it gets so many little things about how these people tend to act right.

Could it go deeper? Absolutely. But then it wouldn't exactly be the Righteous Gemstones anymore. It's allowing these characters to be complex instead of caricatures and I value that more than the reminder of what megachurches are capable of.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd be interested in seeing a story of them exposing one of those scammy faith healers. Like similar to that one guy who would have people write down their ailments on prayer cards before the show and then his wife would read the cards and then talk to him via an ear piece so it seemed like he was getting info from god about their problems so he could "heal" them.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I'm really behind but tried to watch Season 3 Episode 5 tonight and the dialog is completely hosed up... it's not the Max app because other episodes are fine.

From the moment the intro in the classroom starts to the title card, the dialog sounds like it's -30dB from the rest of the sound (effects, title theme) is fine but dialog is just not there. If I switch to Spanish it's fine and levels are fine.

Was Season 3 episode 5 messed up? Is there any special audio thing going on differently here?

Quoting myself because I got kind of a resolution to the audio being screwed up. I even went around with Max support because Gemstones was the ONLY series this was happening to.
I went into Apple TV setup and things like audio passthrough and Atmos and everything was fine. But I turned off the "Reduce Loud Sounds" and now the Baby Billy intro and dialog in S3E5 seem to be fine now.

Is it possible the reduce loud sounds was screwing up select dialog? Either way, levels seem fine now. Thanks again for the help.

edit: nevermind, it's back to being stupid, there are entire scenes with music or sound effects and can't hear anyone talking. I'm going to give up watching this on Max

Hed fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 15, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a story of them exposing one of those scammy faith healers. Like similar to that one guy who would have people write down their ailments on prayer cards before the show and then his wife would read the cards and then talk to him via an ear piece so it seemed like he was getting info from god about their problems so he could "heal" them.
Oh yeah Peter Popoff. The most depressing thing about that guy is he was exposed, went away for awhile, and is apparently back again

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh yeah Peter Popoff. The most depressing thing about that guy is he was exposed, went away for awhile, and is apparently back again

Come to think of it, I haven't watched the Christian cable channel for a while, but back in the early 00s I checked it out a few times and it was all totally Gemstone material, every minute that I saw. Lots of missionaries going to Russia too, totally not fronting for any espionage using them as a very thin cover.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hed posted:

edit: nevermind, it's back to being stupid, there are entire scenes with music or sound effects and can't hear anyone talking. I'm going to give up watching this on Max
Do you have a surround sound system with a center channel?

If you're watching modern TV or movies and everything but the dialogue is audible that almost always means the system is trying to play a surround sound audio stream without either appropriate speakers or decent mixing of missing channels in to the speakers that exist.

Alternative language streams are often downmixed to stereo so it working as expected when switched to Spanish fits.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Do you have a surround sound system with a center channel?

If you're watching modern TV or movies and everything but the dialogue is audible that almost always means the system is trying to play a surround sound audio stream without either appropriate speakers or decent mixing of missing channels in to the speakers that exist.

Alternative language streams are often downmixed to stereo so it working as expected when switched to Spanish fits.

I do have a left/right/center 3.1 setup and checked to make sure my receiver is set up that way. I don't have a good way to do this (my demo files are all stereo) but I'll see if I can do another test where it iterates through the speakers and makes sure the levels aren't messed up.

Is there anything else on Max that mixes something obvious into the center channel? I found myself last night wishing I had some 5.1 or 7.1 demonstration files.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hed posted:

I do have a left/right/center 3.1 setup and checked to make sure my receiver is set up that way. I don't have a good way to do this (my demo files are all stereo) but I'll see if I can do another test where it iterates through the speakers and makes sure the levels aren't messed up.

Is there anything else on Max that mixes something obvious into the center channel? I found myself last night wishing I had some 5.1 or 7.1 demonstration files.

Can you switch to regular stereo? I.e., 2.1?

ED: I have an old Technics stereo that has 3.1 and sometimes I felt like the center channel is overpowered and it hardly seems like stereo and so I just removed the center speaker and went with left, right and sub. It's one of the options on this one.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 15, 2023

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Who are some guest star actors, comedians, etc. that y'all want in the next season?

I was gonna say Ben best but then I looked him up and he died, whoops

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Am I not supposed to find the food they eat at their after church meals delicious looking and appealing?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
In a flash I just thought of the best ent for the show.

The Gemstone kids being killed by the people of the North Sentinel Islands while try to prove they can bring anyone to God.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://shop.hbo.com/collections/the-righteous-gemstones/products/the-righteous-gemstones-uncle-baby-billy-cardboard-cutout-standee

$45

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
God's favorite game

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Very tempting purchase…

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Jesse Gemstone gets a visit from an angel but she's really attractive and he gets an erection

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

keefe is gonna watch over me while I sleep

https://shop.hbo.com/products/the-righteous-gemstones-keefe-chambers-cardboard-cutout-standee

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I thought it was Queef

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
No toe, no deal.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Boyd Crowder: "Raylen, I have seen what the good lord can offer me, and it is Uncle Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers."

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Finally finished season 3. Overall it was ok, just like season 2 but both of these feel so different from season 1 I'm shocked to learn it was all written by Danny McBride. The first season felt like an actual critical look at prosperity gospel while these last two seasons just feel like "see guys, rich people can have it hard too!"

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kwolok posted:

The first season felt like an actual critical look at prosperity gospel while these last two seasons just feel like "see guys, rich people can have it hard too!"

This take is insane.

Just because they humanized the characters a little more doesn’t mean that the show posits them as having it hard.

They made our pseudo main character have a major tantrum about being bitch slapped by a white glove in front of his peers.

They made one of the leads go through the oh so challenging trial of not being coworkers alongside his “secret” love interest.

If anything, the shows goes out of its way to hammer the point that every single hardship this family faces is 100% of their own making. Even Peter’s malice against them is Eli’s fault for bankrupting Peter with a barely legal Y2K scam.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Hey man you're welcome to watch and take away the show however you want. But for me it went from ", look at these awful people running this awful grift" to "don't you want to see these people come together and learn to be better people and love one another more? Let's just not talk about the grift anymore. Gideon wanting to learn to preach prosperity gospel is somehow cool and a wholesome moment we should all feel good about!"

Sure it still shows the trappings a bit, and it shows them as flawed people still, but it actively feels like the show wants us to root for them now, and that never felt like the case in season 1.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Kwolok posted:

Gideon wanting to learn to preach prosperity gospel is somehow cool and a wholesome moment we should all feel good about!"

I predict Gideon is either in it for the money, or to show up his dad that he can run a bigger church.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kwolok posted:

Hey man you're welcome to watch and take away the show however you want. But for me it went from ", look at these awful people running this awful grift" to "don't you want to see these people come together and learn to be better people and love one another more? Let's just not talk about the grift anymore. Gideon wanting to learn to preach prosperity gospel is somehow cool and a wholesome moment we should all feel good about!"

Sure it still shows the trappings a bit, and it shows them as flawed people still, but it actively feels like the show wants us to root for them now, and that never felt like the case in season 1.

I feel like it’s pretty consistent across McBride’s work that audience sympathy is presumed (and granted) to the protagonists no matter how awfully they behave. It’s not something his protagonists can earn, it’s a gift that you, the audience are assumed to freely give. Because you love them.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Hed posted:

These files "HE-AAC Bitstream" or "HE-AAC Channel ID - With H.264 Video", tests each channel of my 5.1 setup:
https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kwolok posted:

I can't speak to your subjective experience but I think it's wrong that the show didn't want you to root for the Gemstones in season 1 (especially in the sense of wanting to see them becoming better people), nor that it has let up on their flaws in later seasons. If anything I think seasons 2 & 3 let the mask slip more and play up their unrepentant awfulness; if you were going to complain that rooting for them feels worse and the happy endings less deserved then sure, I could see that.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

the holy poopacy posted:

I can't speak to your subjective experience but I think it's wrong that the show didn't want you to root for the Gemstones in season 1 (especially in the sense of wanting to see them becoming better people), nor that it has let up on their flaws in later seasons. If anything I think seasons 2 & 3 let the mask slip more and play up their unrepentant awfulness; if you were going to complain that rooting for them feels worse and the happy endings less deserved then sure, I could see that.

Perhaps this is more in line with my feelings. The end of season 3 definitely plays off like a happy ending. There are no consequences for like anyone. Even the dude who ran a militia and kidnapped and made bombs only lost his leg. And everyone else grew closer and are now better at running their grift church. I mean I get that's not necessarily the meaning of the show, but I just really loving hate prosperity gospel so it's harder for me to be favorable to season endings like in 3. The whole kelvin being like "maybe we shouldn't judge what people do on their bedrooms" bit was very cute though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
fwiw I think the angle with Gideon is likely to be more that he's attracted to the simple, earnest side of Eli's faith.

Depending on your personal feelings w/r/t Christianity that may or may not be any consolation. But the show's been pretty consistent from the start in depicting Christianity in general as a positive, and even megachurches as theoretically harmless; it doesn't make fun of the Gemstones for being Christians, it makes fun of them for being bad Christians.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Oh I'm incredibly anti -religious but I never expected this show to be anything more than anti-hypocrisy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

you need Jesus imO

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

the holy poopacy posted:

fwiw I think the angle with Gideon is likely to be more that he's attracted to the simple, earnest side of Eli's faith.

Definitely thought the end of this season was going to be Eli taking over his sister's decrepit church. Glad I wasn't able to predict things from the first episode. Gideon becoming the humble, country preacher that Eli always really (theoretically) wanted to be would be nice.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

CelticPredator posted:

you need Jesus imO

Jesus wept

I thought the whole Gideon thing felt out of character. We know he loves stunts, tricks, and martial arts and that he has wanted to break out on his own. Then he has a complete 180 out of nowhere and thinks maybe he wants to preach. Why? It felt lazy and convenient for a feel good moment but doesn't match the character. Though to be fair he was barely a character in season 3 and existed, much like season 2, to just be a deus ex extreme car driving machina.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 3, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Kwolok posted:

Jesus wept

I thought the whole Gideon thing felt out of character. We know he loves stunts, tricks, and martial arts and that he has wanted to break out on his own. Then he has a complete 180 out of nowhere and thinks maybe he wants to preach. Why? It felt lazy and convenient for a feel good moment but doesn't match the character. Though to be fair he was barely a character in season 3 and existed, much like season 2, to just be a deus ex extreme car driving machina.

He says in the first(?) episode of the season that he may never work again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kwolok posted:

Jesus wept

Then he has a complete 180 out of nowhere and thinks maybe he wants to preach. Why? It felt lazy and convenient for a feel good moment but doesn't match the character.

It is literally explained in the show.

Sounds like McBride's TV shows aren't for you and that's totally fine.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 3, 2023

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Jesus wept

Eli was a professional wrestler as a young man. Gideon is basically just repeating the same trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I can’t remember, have we ever actually gotten Eli’s story (told by himself or portrayed in a flashback) of how he was called to the ministry? Was it something that happened after he and his wife got together?